PSICC, KANSAS
Most Recent PSICC Camping Reviews
Nothing fancy but good location.

This RV Park and motel is just outside Woodland Park, Colorado. The sites on the upper hill have nice views while the lower sites are much less desirable. Most sites are back in so check for pull through if needed when you reserve. They have a dog walk and a sketchy play area for kids. There is also a rec hall and showers that we did not visit so can't give a description. Cripple creek, The Wolf & Wildlife Center and paradise cove are all nearby.

Free camping, private, quiet, & beautiful

Paved & gravelled roads, hiking trails, free camping, sightseeing, off roading, atv, handicap accessible, dogs off leash, picnic tables, firepits, kid friendly. This is also near Royal Gorge Bridge where there is a large facility to zipline, tram ride or walk across the gorge.

Wonderful stay

This campground was very nice. The camp host was very friendly and helpful. All of the campsites are beautiful.

Beautiful and Secluded

One of my favorite campgrounds in Colorado that I’ve found. Quiet and remote, but not far from a town. Lots of trails nearby. We hiked to Pikes Peak via the Devils Playground trail. Plenty of wildlife, flora, and fauna. There’s a stream running right by camp. Dog friendly, but keep an eye on them because there’s lots of mushrooms! The dirt road was a little rough in places, but if you drive slowly and carefully any kind of vehicle can make it up to the campground. Firewood is available; $7 for one bundle or $18 for 3 bundles. $18 per night for us with one car and a tent.

Perfect RV getaway spot!

Great service and beautiful sites. From the moment we blew the first stop sign, sorry management, until the time we checked into the office they were awesome! We were so excited for our vacation we showed up 4 hours early for our reservation, and they had us in ASAP! Thanks y’all! The gentleman that backed us in and shared some secrets to the fishing in the area was very cool. We are loving it and can’t say enough, oh and the view is beautiful!

Easy to get to.

Easy park to get to, right off hwy 115, in Colorado Springs. The camp sites are decent. Tent, drive in, walk in drive through sites.

Very close to city

5 minute drive to restraunts and stores. Quiet campground. Clean. Well maintained group areas/picnic areas. Only DoD ID card holders can use it, so there is not as much noise and partiers.

Easy access and quiet

My grandson and I stayed there in June for 4 days in a 34ft travel trailer in a pull thru long enough not to have to unhook. The sites were large and plenty of room for my slideout and not too close to next site. About 30 min from Pueblo and 30 from Canon City on Hwy 50 just east of Hwy 115 Full hookup and good WiFi Also had 30 OTA channels. Beautiful sunsets of the mountains Hwy 50 close by but traffic was not loud enough to disturb us Horses on the property as well as a swimming pool and very friendly staff Very nice experience and only 40 min from Colorado Springs or Royal Gorge.

Rad

Loved it! Highly recommend all wheel, as some sites are rocky and/or steep, but don’t let your sedan stop you—you’ll have options. The place has eyes— but not mean ones. Very likely wildlife (or phantoms? Eek!) and the bears were my main concern, though I didn’t see one in the flesh. Saw old tracks at my campsite, saw waaaay too much scat when hiking around, and in the morning, though I hadn’t seen or heard anybody, there were extremely fresh tracks leading from the stream on the bank. I had my dog and bear spray with me so I felt secure, but in hindsight, maaaybe should consider extra precautions! Like more people or a firearm… still, it’s a special place and I highly recommend it. I went midweek with the express intent of avoiding other humans, which worked for the most part. Saw some humans but campsites are really private and the place feels just wild. Which I dig. Just be careful with your tasty foods! I keep my trash in a separate cooler to minimize the smell— not sure if it works but it feels safer. Lots of birds, no other critters. Probably because of ALL THE BEARS. 🙂

Quick and easy

We went into the San Isabel National Forest and could not find a spot. We down the mountain off hwy 165 we found this spot. It was a one night trip and our only complaint was the highway noise.

Words Can’t describe how horrible

Never have I been treated so poorly. The owner “Todd” rides around in his golf cart searching for campers doing anything wrong. He throws people out without refunding their money and then rents out the site again. He makes promises at the time of reservation that he does not keep and then tells you if you don’t like it you can leave without a refund. This man, “Todd” could use a class or two in customer service. I don’t know how he is still in business. He hates the police even though he wastes no time calling them. From what I understand they spend plenty of time there escorting poor campers off HIS property. Save yourself some misery and skip Royal View Campground. (The one star is only because you have to put something too bad there is not a negative star because he would get -5.)

Beautiful views!

Great campsite for my family with sites far enough apart for comfort and a great view. There is so much to do around there for the kiddos. We went to the zoo, which is pricy, but I highly recommend. There are several playground as well throughout the park.

Saved our trip

We decided to drive the Phantom Canyon/Shelf Road Loop and camp. We should have secured the campsite first. Both of the main campgrounds were full so out of desperation we drove into Red Canyon. There aren’t many amenities, picnic tables and pit toilets. But what it does have is solitude and really cool red rock formations.

Worth the distance

One of the nicest camp spots I’ve been to. Very accommodating and clean! Only downfall is that it was a bit of a drive to many main attractions in Colorado, but it was worth the drive.

Beautiful location

Tent sites are on the hill and have lovely views. The tent pads are pretty small though. They are great for 1-2 people, but we are a family traveling with pets, so we have a larger tent. Nice community feel. Lots for kids to do. Close to rafting, Royal Gorge and other attractions.

Awesome

Great atmosphere, amazing views…. amenities, pancake breakfasts….. just enough space between you and the next campers…. we will be back.

Beauty beyond measo

If your looking for a place to disconnect from the hustle of everyday life & time into the devine creation then you’ve come to the perfect place. Surrounded by gorgeous scenery, fresh mountain air, beautiful pines, plenty of scenic views. I mean this place truly is a little piece of heaven on earth. A must go for sure!!!

Great campsite

It was a great campsite, have to use fire pits provided. Alcohol is allowed pets are allowed on leash. And most camp sites are within walking distance to the water. Kids loved it! It was cheap to reserve a site ($20+) and entry fee is like $8.

Side of the mountain side

Sites share a power pole but still not so close as some places. 🚿 Showerhouse & bathhouse was clean and handicap accessible. Museum on site was small but interesting. Friendly, helpful staff.

So clean!

We just left campsite 531 at Kettle Creek Loop! Our 3 kids loved playing around the little inlet of water and the playground was not too far! Very clean vault toilets close to that campsite and a bigger bathroom by the playground with showers! It’s a rocky tent pad so bring a footprint and sleeping pads. Shade provided over picnic table blocking the evening sun- it’s pretty sunny in the am but nice! It was HOT while we were there but it cooled off at night. Bring a shade tent! We will Be back!

Ranger Review: Gregory Avos 15 pack at Peregrine Pines military campground

Campground Review

Note: This is a military campground only, on the grounds of the US Air Force Academy just north of Colorado Springs, CO.

My family and I stayed here a week in a 34' travel trailer.  This is a large facility with over 100 campsites. Sites are gravel and fairly level, spaced decently with little undergrowth among the pine trees. Full hook-ups are of good quality and worked with no problems. Cable is not provided and we did not check to see if our antennae picked up any local TV stations. WiFi is restricted to the office and bathhouses, and do not extend into the campground. You have the option of purchasing a MiFi transmitter for $5 a day or $25 a week, but we did not choose this option. A short walk from our campsite is a very nice playground next to the picnic pavilions. Each site comes with a grill and aluminum picnic table. Ground fires are not allowed, but fire pits can be rented for an additional fee. The laundry facility is affordable and the machines are in good condition. Now for a little bit about the area outside the campground. The Academy grounds are huge. It is a good 10-minute drive to the commissary/exchange, a 10-minute drive to the visitor center, and about 30 minutes to downtown Colorado Springs or Garden of the Gods. If you are here for football, the stadium is right down the street (I would say it is within walking distance).  There is a lot to do around here and this is a good base camp. I wish we could have stayed longer than a week.

Oh, and just a heads up, if you are staying here in the summer expect thunderstorms to roll by every day.  The wind and lightning can be rather intense.

Product review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. This week I tested the Gregory Avos 15 pack. Although designed as a mtn biking pack, I used it for day hiking and road cycling and found it to be a great and versatile pack.  See the video and pictures for more details, but here's a quick review of the pros:

• The numerous storage spaces, crash pad for a phone/glasses, and a separate bag for repair tools that can be clipped inside the pocket.
  • The feel of the fit and adjustability of straps and back length.
  • The size of the hydration bladder.
  • The convenience of the bite valve.

After hiking 6 miles and riding 10 miles, I have very few negatives, and these are just me being picky:

• The magnetic connection for the chest strap is challenging to remove with one hand.
  • The length of the hydration hose could be a little longer so I could loosen the chest strap without it pulling on the hose (I have wide shoulders).
  • The hydration bladder itself is difficult to drain completely when trying to dry it out.

Overall, I would give this pack a 5-star review and recommend it to others who want a comfortable, well-designed, and versatile pack when playing outdoors.

Great view, quiet, well kept

Fantastic site. Newer fire rings/rock work, vault toilet, smooth roads. Dispersed primitive sites close to one of the trailheads. Saw 30ft motorhomes and hammock camping, so it seems to draw all types.

Awesome

Awesome views unparalleled experience and seclusion

Awesome FamCamp

Our third time staying here. Opinion - best FamCamp in the system. Love the ability to base from here in the Colorado Springs area and branch out for all adventures you can imagine.

Campground is clean. Friendly staff. Level spots. Though not exactly private, plenty of pine trees to make you feel you are in the woods. City water was clean/no smell/good pressure, though paperwork says a regulator is mandatory.

Down side = the routinely travelled train tracks with mandatory horns. Regardless, we would return without question.

Comfortable and beautiful

10 miles from town with activities for all

Beautiful spot, mainly tent camping

I came into Phantom Canyon from highway 50. I had read a few reviews that had me concerned. Maybe those people don't get out a lot. The road is in good shape. I drove my long bed, 4 door truck and towed a 15 foot pop-up camper. No worries at all. The road is wash-board here and there but nothing major. Plenty of room and where the road narrows a bit to 1 1/2 lanes, there are plenty of pull-offs. The tunnels are single lane, but plenty wide enough for anything to get through. There is nice camping near the creek at 9.3 miles and 11.3 miles from highway 50. But know that you will not get your camper or trailer down there. And you need an awd or 4 wheel drive with good clearance. Rocks, steep drives to these camping spots. This is a canyon where tent camping is king. There are numerous camping spots closer to the road where you can camp. There are numerous bridges, but THE bridge is at about 13.7 miles into the canyon, again from highway 50. High, long and winding bridge that is red. On the other side of the bridge, the road narrows considerably and is indeed one lane in many places. I was quite comfortable and again, there are lots of pull-outs where one driver can pull over or back up a little bit. On a Saturday around noon I only passed 4ish cars and there was no issue.  Beautiful canyon.

Perfect

Nice clean sites. Perfect dispersement camping with amenities, ie table fire pit.

Unique

I tend to avoid RV campgrounds because I think they are usually crowded and a bit loud. Although our neighbors were rather loud, the campground was a cool place. It’s $30+tax for a night with a tent. The fire pits do not have grates and the bathrooms are just port a potties. You have to buy firewood from the hosts, they won’t let you burn wood that you bring in yourself. They do give you a little more for just $5 than most places. There is a swimming pool and hot showers. The dirt road to the campground is very easily accessible.

Underrated Family Fun

Pueblo State Park is so underrated. We booked with on a few weeks notice so worried about how good the park and our spot would be. We weren’t really close to the water and Pueblo isn't known for having much tree coverage. But to our surprise, our spot was wonderful and we really enjoyed the park.

**camping hack: pull up google maps and check out your spot from an overhead view to make sure the site orientation works with your set-up. Pictures don’t always do it justice.  The majority of sites at Juniper Breaks have the picnic table and fire ring on the drivers side of your vehicle (if you back in). We have young kids so wanted to be able to see the door of our camper if the kids came out after bedtime while the parents were still up.

Our site was in great shape and was really level which made setting up our old pop-up camper a breeze. The bathrooms were as great as vault toilets can be and there were water pumps by all of the bathrooms. The rangers were really helpful even though we got threatened with a ticket for parking on the gravel at our site. There’s lots of extra parking by the bathrooms for day visitors too.

We took our kids (2, 5, & 7) to the junior ranger class they host at the visitor center almost every Saturday. They learned about boat safety and got free sunglasses and emergency whistles. My 7 year old niece finished her ranger booklet and got a junior ranger badge, which she loved.

We spent some time fishing but didn’t catch anything but our site we hiked to was secluded and nice. The lake is so big, there are plenty of spots to hide out and fish at. There is also a swim beach nearby…it was too cold when we were there to justify swimming.

Family spot!

Family has been coming for years. The family has property in Colorado city and we still love to come to local mountain! Great fishing, clean, quiet, & plenty of space