the dyrt
PSICC, KANSAS
Most Recent PSICC Camping Reviews
Not worth it.

The Cabins are for locals or people working in the local area and are only available for monthly rent, The tent areas are in direct sunlight with no shaded area and overpriced at $25 a night regardless of what time you check in checkouts at 11:00 am, The Bathrooms are reasonably clean, however scary hag lady comes in as if on crack running around looking like a mad woman, somewhat scary, the horse stalls are disgusting.

Warm weather

Bright colors, beautiful valleys, warm weather

Close To Manitou & All The Exciting Things Which Go With That

I wanted to stay in Manitou originally to hike Pikes Peak, unfortunate weather stopped that from happening so I had to make due and get in as many activities as I possibly could before heading out. I searched the area far and wide for great camping, and this place came up. I only at the time had the address but not much info and so as I was already in the area went ahead and made a stop in hoping to find a site to stay. Unfortunately I was told they only accept RVs, something very predominant in this area. It was a nice park so I went ahead and asked if I could check out some of their amenities before heading out, aka I asked if I could use their restroom and walk around. They let me but said since I wasn't staying I couldn't snag a bunch of photos and invade privacy, I think they told me this cause I had an entire convo about being a travel blogger..lol.

The location wasn't huge but it was quaint. It backed up to a creek which you could hear trickling trough and it made for a nice setting for a place to stay when in this area. Only a few moments away from Manitou only made it even more of a bonus.

Rates seemed pretty reasonable when I was visiting in fall a $45 a night but I did notice rates change seasonally so they could be a bit higher in summer months. They did also offer long term parking within guidelines of maintenance in an attempt to keep their campground looking nice. I really liked the location, I really just wish I had been able to stay, but like with most in Colorado, you have to search a bit harder if you are a tent camper.

TIPS:

• Reserve in advance and hold your reservation or you will forfeit your deposit.

• Check out Rainbow Falls, Garden of the Gods and downtown Manitou if you want to see some amazing different things. If you want a challenge try the Incline!!

Just terrible

The campground was awful and kick started a sinus infection with all the dust blowing around. The bathrooms have a code on them so if you forget the code in the middle of the night as you’re groggy and walking to the bathroom, you’re SOL.

Road Trip

Nice little campground easy off and on to highway. Staff very nice and helpful

Nice find.

We pulled in without a reservation, no problem. We were visiting a friend in Pueblo and this place was close by. (Downtown Pueblo has a really nice riverwalk. Found a free museum that honored Medal of Honor recipients.) When you go in to the campground, the visitor center is there. Helpful staff. The RV side of the campground is to the left. That was pretty full. The tent side was to the right further down a paved road to the right. This section was closer to the lake, very few people and quiet. Might have been the time of year. Each site had a fire ring, a shelter and a paved place to park. Easy for us as well to use the dump site in the RV section. We didn't use it but looked like there were some walking/biking trails close by. Seemed reasonable for $25. It was a nice find. Very clean.

Mile High Camping!

Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado Springs, CO.

Made our way to Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado Springs. The tent only sites are walk-in and $18…and by walk-in…between 10-100ft from the parking area depending on the site. By midday most were taken and we landed in the available #45 (which was handicap accessible). Pluses and minuses: close to the restroom. Convenience comes at a cost, a motion sensor light constantly tripping on and a tad noisy. Tent pads only…comprised of a small pea gravel base, but elevated two railroad ties high…you will not get standing water, that's for certain. #45 is a handicap site so it is all paved…walkway, picnic table, animal-proof food container and fire pit area…no dust or dirt. Could be a positive or negative depending on your expectations. In April the trees were just budding so there wasn't a ton of concealment or cover from your neighbors provided by the leafless shrubbery and mountain scrub. A water pump is ten feet away. Another site was handicap accessible like this one but the others were situated further back in the scrub in dirt trails offering greater privacy. Hammock hanging was limited on site #45 but could be creatively managed. Restrooms were very clean and well-stocked. The visitor center is beautiful, large, interesting and offers local trinkets to purchase. Camp registration office is located by the campground and also houses restrooms and the coin operated showers and laundry. Water appeared to be at a premium as the water fountains were not operating. Depending on the wind direction, and with no leaves on the trees yet…highway noise could be heard in the distance from interstate 25…but not loud enough to be an irritation… Not to mention the sound breaking the early morning air…revelee from the nearby Air Force base. Signage leaves little doubt where you are or where to go throughout the park. The trails are superb and offer a variety of high plains and mountain views. Trail markings are remarkable, offering both self-guided tutorial placards and strategically located gps coordinates, in case of injury. Runners and mountain bikers frequent the trails. Wildlife aplenty. Mule deer sauntered by throughout the park and tom turkeys strutted their stuff for all to see. Colorful songbirds dotted the trail (my favorite…bright blue mountain bluebird). Keep the elevation in mind when choosing activities. Being a "flatlander," it takes about 7-10 days for your body to adjust to high elevations, so allocate more time on the trails for recovery breaks and hydration. Definite plus or minus…dogs are allowed in the park, but not on the trails and must be leashed at all times. Even on a Monday night in mid April, the park was filled so reservations would be advised. You can choose electric/water sites but there is no privacy from your RV neighbor.

Creative mountainscape photos are necessary to avoid the mountaintop antenna towers from NORAD.

It was a pleasant camping experience and would visit again.

There is so much to do nearby that you need to stay in the area at least a week.

Here are a few of my favorite nearby hikes: -Mt Cutler trail, Mt Muscoco trail, Helen Hunt Falls, Seven Bridges Trail, Red Rock Canyon, The Manitou Incline (parking fee), The Barr Trail (to Pikes Peak summit), Garden of the gods, Palmer Park, and Stanley Canyon Reservoir (on the Air Force Academy grounds)…all are must do's! Only Red Rock Canyon and Garden of the gods are flatter and easy strolling. Countless other trails exist and would take a lifetime to explore…worthy reason to return again and again!

Beautiful campground with access to the Ring the Peak trail

Very friendly and accommodating host here. Nice and clean and reasonably priced. Several trails to hike around the campground as well.

Lovely spot, great hiking access

There are a few miles of steep, dirt road from the main road up to the campground. I wasn’t sure my ‘99 Camry would make it, but it did just fine. Sixteen campsites, fairly private with trees and bushes between. Very clean bathrooms. Beautiful little stream running through the sites on one side of the road. I arrived on a Saturday night in early September and there were only two open sites, but by mid-day Sunday I was the only person left. It was nice and quiet having the whole place to myself. Trailhead access right from the campground to Devil’s Playground and Pike’s Peak. The Crags trail (also right from the campground) was super low key, about 2.5 hours round trip with great views at the top.

Free with a good view

We go here in the early Spring when it is still chilly in Denver. Really nice fire pits. There are some other more dispersed sites as well. Good trail network around that have some really pretty overlooks of the gorge.

Great. We Would Go Back

Overall, our experience at this campground was great. We just happened to get site #26, which, after walking through the entire campground, we all agreed was the best spot there! It was a decent sized lot with lots of trees for shade and privacy, and we were right next to the creek.

The grounds were clean and seemed to be well maintained, and it was nice and quiet.

We took our 5 year old nephew and 1.5 year old niece. Of course, they enjoyed the playground and pool.

I liked that they had coffee in the main/office building. And, we brought and cooked our own food, but it was nice to know that pancakes and eggs were an option, if that's what we wanted to do.

I gave them 4 stars because both of my sisters had problems with the lady (owner?) in the office being snotty to them. I personally only had interactions with the guy (owner?), and he was friendly enough. They charge 'per person' and for 'extra' vehicles, so it got kinda spends…around $55/night or so (we had 3 adults and 2 children- with the 3 adults all coming from different areas and/or at different times/days).

Overall, we enjoyed our time there and all agreed that we would go back!

Very tight sites. Doesn’t look like marketing materials

We were disappointed with this RVC property. It is poorly laid out and the back in premium sites are not really premium. The one we were first assigned was very short and had a large drain in the middle of the site. (S12). Luckily we were able to move. Sites very close together and most utilities in the back. The staff is not all that friendly and helpful, except for one young man who helped me find a good route in around the construction. I had to leave two phone messages and a Facebook message to get info on how to maneuver around the horrible construction site right at the entrance. I only learned of the problems through rv park reviews. Typical of a corporate owned park. Websites should post current conditions but they don’t.

A park of their price should at a minimum have a shelf or racks in the SHOWERS to place shower items. No benches, no hooks, nothing.

Not that well managed. All the T-shirt’s and clothing covered the entire time we were there. When I asked, he said it was because they hadn’t taken inventory yet, and weren’t allowed to sell them until they are inventoried. Lots of red rocks piled up various places. Guess they don’t have anyone that can spread it. Building materials in the restrooms not very appealing. Unfortunately, we didn’t see any other rv parks any better. Their location to garden of the Gods can’t be beat. It would have been nice for them to tell us how to get there when we checked in. Next time we will stay about 30 miles west of town.

this was an awesome drive thru

there are places to stop and take great pictures

the shower facilities were great

the campsites were spaced good, the shower facility was really nice.

very well maintained great restrooms

some shade. the picnic table does have a covered wind break. most sites very level and spacing is nice distance from neighbors

Nice site by river

Nice little campground close to Bishop’s Castle and not too far from the Metro area. Water available. Maybe firewood if the private site at the entrance is open (seems random whether it is.)

Great Walk-In Sites!

Stayed in the Swift Puma campground, walk-in site 29, great privacy, very clean and well maintained with level camp pad, picnic table and bear box. Short walk from parking spot to the campsite. Close to bathrooms and showers, both very clean, showers are quarter operated, 4min/$1. Several deer nearby, many trails within the park that are worth checking out and accessible from campgrounds! Helpful Staff!

Serene

Very beautiful campground! Great staff, clean restrooms. Beautiful views. Tent sites are awesome!

Tourist Attraction

Beautiful area but lots of tourists!

Beautiful scenery

Convenient location to Cripple Creek CO. Mountain views. Situated on meadow hillside. Hiking trails, full hookups, fire rings with grills, picnic tables. Level sites with many pull thrus. Helpful owners. Sparkling bathrooms. Individual showers. Laundry rooms. Hummingbirds everywhere.

Beautiful remote location near Raspberry Mountain trail

Very affordable (cash drop box near host site), good hiking, gorgeous formations, nice flowing creek. No running water but bathroom was clean and water pump worked fine, tent/rv/family/group camping friendly, worth the long drive, no cell service

Amazing rock formations

Amazing rock formations in a great city

Manicured trails great for all ages with amazing views

Nothing technical, well manicured trials with amazing views. Lots of wildlife, beware of rattlesnakes. Awesome Moutain Biking, great for family’s and beginners. Great camping spaces. Plenty of room in between rv spaces.

Long term Camping..

At it's finest! This is really a great location and campground for long term stays. In spite if the numerous hailstirms in the area, this site is fabulous!! A was here for 2 months and found the site to be well maintained and patrolled. Staff were always friendly and helpful. most sites are well shaded and well drained during rain storms. Also, be sure to see the May Tropical Museum while you are there.

Clean, organized, pretty

This was my first time RV camping. Check in was easy and an employee showed me to the site and helped me back into my site. Very helpful and patient with me! Pool looked nice but we didn’t use it. The bathroom/shower house was clean and modern. Construction going on in the roads around the campground made it a little difficult to get in and out and figure out where to park for check in but the campground itself was very nice.

Lone Duck Campground - Camping + More!

We stayed at the Lone Duck campground for two nights in September 2017, with the intention of hiking Pike’s Peak. We were in the middle of a road trip from Southern California to Denver, CO, for a pole dance competition that I competed in. After the road trip out, the mental exhaustion of competing in an international competition, and the HEAT, we decided that we would hike Pike’s Peak some other time and just spend our day relaxing before heading to RMNP to camp and hike. Lone Duck Campground is the perfect place to relax!

We are tent campers, and prefer to be in more “traditional” outdoor campgrounds in parks or forests, etc, but for an urban campground, Lone Duck was great! While the layout of the Lone Duck Campground certainly accommodates for RV campers, the campground also has nice little tent sites with grassy areas to pitch a tent. Our site had grass, shade, a picnic table, and a fire ring - everything you need for a basic campsite.

The tent sites are fairly small and open to the neighboring sites, but that is to be expected in these more urban campgrounds. However, we had site T-25, and due to the surrounding shrubbery, it was more secluded than most sites. The campground is right off the highway, so there is some noise pollution from the nearby traffic. Overall the campground was peaceful and everyone seemed to respect the set quiet hours. It is $36 for two people to stay in a standard tent site WITHOUT hookups…the nightly fee increases with added equipment hookups and additional people.

The benefit to camping in an urban campground like Lone Duck is all the extras you don’t find in all traditional, basic campgrounds! Lone duck had a pool, free wifi, and CLEAN, HOT, COIN-FREE showers! After sweating in the summer sun all day, returning to camp and showering is the best feeling in the world.

The camp hosts were very friendly, and provided nice home-cooked breakfast in the morning for only $5! As much as we enjoy cooking when we camp, it was soooo nice not having to dirty up then clean our camp kitchen. The breakfast was very well worth $5!

Lone Duck also had a small pond/lake to fish in, a jungle gym, a game room and a basketball court. We did not partake in any of those amenities, but they make Lone Duck a very family friendly campground where kids can stay entertained!

Since we decided to be lazy and forego hiking Pike’s Peak, we slept in, enjoyed the Lone Duck breakfast, and researched what we could do to beat the heat. We knew we wanted to go to the Garden of the Gods later that afternoon after it cooled off and to see the sunset, but needed something to do before then to escape the heat. We ended up backtracking back up towards our previous stop in Denver, and went to the Coors Plant in Golden, CO. I’m not much of a beer drinker, let alone Coors, but my boyfriend likes beer and enjoys going on different brewery tours. The Coors tour was free and air conditioned, so why not?! The brewery tour was actually very interesting, and at the end of the tour you could choose three glasses of beer in their tap room. Cold, free beer on a hot day? Even I couldn’t say no to that!

After the tour we drove back down to Colorado Springs and went to the Garden of the Gods (which is probably only 15-20 minutes away from the Lone Duck). The park is FREE to enter, and has some spectacular red rock formations that glow like fire in the setting sun. The park is pretty accessible with wide, flat paths around the perimeter of the park and around the popular rock formations. There are smaller, more rugged trails leading up to various rock climbing areas, and hiking trails that extend out away from the park into the foothills. We climbed on rocks and hiked around for a few hours until sunset. The Garden of the Gods is a must-see - the rock formations are incredible, and you do not even have to be a hiker to be able to see and enjoy them!

We decided not to cook back at camp, and stopped at Rudy’s Country Store BBQ in Colorado Springs. We are from Southern California and had never been to a Rudy’s before, and we loved it! I have to admit that I was skeptical of a gas-station restaurant, but I’m so glad we ate at Rudy’s! It was cheap, it was tasty, and it was fun! And I’m always a fan of unlimited condiment bars, so that was a plus!

Overall, I would highly recommend Lone Duck Campground, especially if you like urban campgrounds with extra amenities. We had been debating over staying at a cheap hotel for the night, but I’m glad we stayed at Lone Duck, it was a much better experience than a hotel would have been.

CAMPSITE SPECS

Fees: $36/night

Plumbed Toilets: Yes

Drinking Water: Yes

Showers: Yes (No coins needed)

Picnic Table: Yes

Firepit: Yes

Cooking Grates: Yes

Shade: Yes

Cell Service: Yes + Wifi

Animal Bins/Food Lockers: NO

Great Campground Near Pike's Peak, Manitou Springs, and Cave of the Winds

I personally loved staying at this campground. It is in Cascade, CO right off of Highway 24. It is minutes away from Pike's Peak, Manitou Springs, Cave of the Winds, Red Rocks Open Space, and Colorado Springs. This puts it in a really convenient location while still feeling on the more secluded side. The common area has lots of cool arcade games, and the showers were always clean.

Family & pet friendly, good location, and lots of fun activities

Campground had lots of RV sites and fewer tent sites but nice tent sites. Beautiful views of the mountains and close to many of the rafting companies and other local attractions as well as to the Royal Gorge bridge ans hiking. Staff were very friendly. We were there for a few, big, afternoon thunderstorms, one of which caused a little flooding around the office. Tent sites are on slight hill so no flooding but lots of little rivers running through our campsite. We would stay here again- the kids loved thr go-karting, mini-golf and giant slide. There is also a pool onsight which we did not use.

Sleepaway Camp for the Fam

This is not the campground for any sort of quiet soul searching in the woods, but if you’re looking for something that feels a bit like the summer camp from days gone by it will do well. I booked it because I thought it would be silly fun for my two kids and for that it did not disappoint. Features Outdoor pool Arcade with old school games and prices.
Laundry Showers A pond and fishing poles for rent Pancake and Sausage breakfast for $5 Tent and RV camping Playground It’s right by a very busy stretch of highway and that made sleeping difficult for tent camping. As an adult who likes more rustic camping it was hard for me to deal with campsites close together, crazy kids running around until late with high powered flashlights, and the road noise, but I booked it for my kids to have a novel camping experience, and for that, it did not disappoint.