The best camping in
Kansas

Camping Kansas

When you think of Kansas, forget about flat. There’s a world of unexpected outdoor adventures waiting for you in the heart of America. Camping in Kansas brings you closer to world-class hiking, fishing, horseback riding, and the ability to enjoy a sunset over the plains. With twenty-six state parks, multiple lakes, and an abundance of trails and wildlife, camping in Kansas is sure to surprise you.

The scenic Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge lies in the broad, flat, and beautiful Neosho River Valley. It’s the country’s largest remaining tract of tallgrass, complete with captivating wildflowers and a nearly endless horizon. El Dorado State Park is situated conveniently at the edge of the Flint Hills and perfect for camping nearby. A destination for boating, fishing, hiking and wildlife viewing, the hills make camping in Kansas as fun-packed as it is gorgeous.

For water lovers, there are a handful of public camping areas near the Kansas River Trail, as well as sandbars welcome to campers scattered along the way. Cyclists and hikers will love camping in Kansas for the numerous trails winding through Kansas River State Park’s breathtaking oak-hickory forest. Plus, you can access the Kansas River (also known as Kaw River) from a boat ramp for canoeing, kayaking, and other small watercraft.

If you’re looking for fresh air, awe-inspiring views, and crystal water, Kansas may have just the right thing. With tall grass, stretching fields, and open skies, the Sunflower State is perfect for those who love trail exploration, wildlife, and even archery! From the Flint Hills to the Kansas River and everything in between, camping in Kansas is perfect for a picturesque and peaceful getaway.

Recent Reviews in Kansas
Roomy park

Another great state park. Stayed in camp ground 1 in the off season so wasn’t too packed but it was busy. The great part is that the sites are so large, at least on the lake side, which is actually a bit away from the lake, but accessible by stairs from the camp sites. Plenty of distance between campers. The gravel pads and paved roads made it very easy to get into spot and set up. The park had all the amenities and not too far a drive from town for supplies if needed. In addition to a number of hiking trails, they had a disk golf course and an archery range. The park has a day use fee of $5 a day per vehicle which is independent from the state camping fee. But they offered me an annual pass (calendar year) of $25 for the day use.

Rockin’ K

We stayed at Eagle Point as we don not have horses but this campground had the shower house that we used which was very clean and the water was actually hot! Very well maintained!

Eagle Point

Well maintained campground right on the water! Will defiantly return!

Trail running and romantic sunsets

The main trail is composed of a gravel camping road that encircles the man made lake. The road is bike and vehicle friendly, though it seems only park vehicles are allowed. Several trails offshoot from this main road, each is marked for either hiking (trail running), mountain biking, or camping. Theres several large camping sites, and both the bike and hike routes seem to be loops that end back at the starting offshoot on the main road. None of the hikes are very difficult, most are easy/moderate and support running. They are very easy for hiking. Some bike routes are more difficult. Half are in woods with trees as low as 5ft over the trail, the other half go through open fields. Since there are many different routes to take, its easy to increase or decrease the distance. I had no trouble clearing four miles by running out, doing a trail (full loop) and running back. The loops aren't always possible to cut, so keep in mind that its sometimes hard to tell how far along a loop you are. Note that few of these trails have views of the lake; only the campgrounds, bench sites, and main trail/road are unobstructed to the water. There are several beautiful views of the small damn and the broken sections that create a little waterfall. The sunset in particular was really peaceful and easy to watch from the benches (perfect for a romantic picnic).

Great Primitive Camp Area

Awesome spot for weekend camping. Lots of fire rings available. Well maintained in the main camping area, as well as on the trail.

Ok for Stopover

Very small campground. No frills here but shower house was clean. We were arriving around 7 pm and no other campground would answer their phones. The owner met us and helped us get into our spots after dark. Close to the highway but it was very quiet.

Nice little campground.

3 day limit. $25 for electric hook-up. Free for primitive. Shower house. Located off Hwy 36, behind the Firehouse.

Very Nice But Noisy

This is a nice campground with pull-through spots, playground, nice washroom/showers. Some spots even have concrete patios with fire pits and grills. A few tiny cabins and a “glamping” tent. The only negative is that the sites are very close together and it is right off I-70 which is very noisy all night long.

Interesting

Odd policy of age of RV determines how long they will let you stay. They would only allow a week until they saw me and my rig. I suppose that is a legal way to discriminate. Stayed there once before; was a camp ground but also found it odd that electricity was metered was separate from overnight rate

best in kansas

clean restrooms, showers, spotless laundry room. owners willing to help you with anything. very well run. a group of us stay in Oct. and April every year. we usually take 10 spots in front in Oct and 12 spots in rear of park on our way back through. only park around with a 8' deep pool and very wide spots. room for our 42'  c/a and f150.

Scott Lake Camp

Very nice park area. Was very windy when we arrived, found a great wind block. Very few campers there when we stayed. Camp host we very friendly. There were several trails to hike.

Owls nest camping

Small RV park however, it is a nice place. Owners are very nice people.

Nice park

Great place, near Kansas City.

Very nice quiet little trailer park!

Owner Randy is very helpful! He will make your stay a pleasant one!

Limited space

We stopped here and snagged a 30/50 amp spot with water which was just a small gravel pull off on the street through the park. We noticed several locals had parked in other RV spots to get out and walk their dogs so the available space was pretty limited. But the space was free so there’s that. We felt safe here.

Great little city park

This is the only park we could find. But it’s great. There are 45 RV sites here and about 8 I think have electric and water. A dump station is here too. The remaining sites are water only and are good for tent camping as well. Gravel and paved sites for water and electric. We had finished eating dinner and noticed a car sitting down the driveway so my dog and I circled around behind the car and discovered it was a police car. We spoke to the officer and he said they keep a close watch on the park because it’s safe and they want to keep it that way. Cost is $10 per night and there’s a registration drop box at the entrance.

I was unable to find this park look at Kelly park.

This park does not exist.

Beautiful views with full hookups

Well kept, beautiful views with water/electric/sewer and only 4 pull through spots next to a few cabins so it’s quiet and not crowded. Rangers are helpful and friendly. Water is clean and clear. Great park! Full service marina and store on site with supplies, groceries, fun stuff.

Convenient and cheap

Located behind the activity center, level spots with water and 20/30/50 amp hookups, $15 per night. Can’t beat it and the views are pretty too. Dairy Queen and Grocery Store about a block away.

Now called RV Village on Vine

We arrived here after a grueling day battling the wind in our VW van. The new sign is very pretty but didn’t indicate where the park was. We walked into a chicken place looking for it and were told there was no one there and to call the number on the sign. We did and there was no answer and the person hadn’t set up voicemail so we couldn’t leave a message. We discovered a sign on the restroom with info. $30 a night place money in envelope and drop thru slot. The women’s room had 2 toilets but no stalls. One sink. The shower was very unappealing. The door opens with a code. We were finally able to reach someone who gave us the code. The men’s restroom on, according to my husband, was disgusting. The electric box did not work for a normal plug. I had a converter for a large RV plug that did work. The grassy area is pretty but hazardous with children’s toys and pipes etc. strewn about. We had site #10 which had some shade. The website for this place shows pictures that are false, not reality. For a last ditch stop sure, stay here. Otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Awesome!!

Traveled in 38’ Class A Motorhome

Totally awesome resort - everything you need… from cabin, rv, tent or yurks! Nestled on a beautiful lake. Definitely will stay again!

Campground Flooded With Limited Site Availability (as of September 2019)

When visiting Milford State Park one of the first camping loops you find is Prairie View Campground which is why many find it so appealing.   It has great cell signal, close proximity to the front office and highway and borders upon the lake.    But with that lake access also comes a very scary reality during rainy season.   This campground is prone to lower sites flooding when rains are abundant.    However no one could have prepared for massive rains which took an already vulnerable large campground and turned it into a very small limited access site.

Of the campgrounds available at Milford Lake this is one of the few which remain open despite waters swelling and swallowing the majority of the camp during the 2019 season.

Campsites offer electricity and picnic tables with a variety of styles of sites including pull through and back in.    However with man of these underwater it is hard to find a site currently that feels safe and high enough to merit camping here.

This campground has a lot of promise with their facility.    There is plenty of shade in the area making for a very comfortable stay when not experiencing rising waters.   There is firewood available from the campground host as you enter the campground and 2 loops for camping offer plenty of options during peak season.

Currently there are less than 10 sites available at this location, road is barricaded and the waters are literally in the backyard of all sites as it has created a peninsula.

Typically there is shore access for fishing in this campground.

TIPS:

• Call ahead before visiting this park as a whole to check conditions.  With limited locations for camping currently available you will be happier by checking in advance rather than coming and experiencing being turned away.
  • Book online or pay at the pay station with cash.    No cards are accepted at the pay station and mostly of the time there is no one in the check in booth at the gate.
Nice new campground

New and very clean campground. Clean showers and new washers & dryers. Close to the attractions.

Nature trail

Great location to enjoy nature

Leave no trace

Great picnic and camping site. And fishing with boat ramp.

Leave no trace

Let’s keep this lake and all other lakes and parks clean. Pick up after yourselves. Practice “leave no trace” leave the area Better than you found it, for the next person can enjoy.

Wonderful Facilities

Very nice laundry room and bathroom facilities! Standard tent camping site. Nice staff - check out the postcards in the office!

WARNING!!! VERY RUDE OWNER’S!!

Before I do my review here, I want to point out that we own a small Toy Poodle and are very conscience of our dogs bio footprint in the environment and always pick up after he uses the bathroom. So here is our experience that really upset our family and my in-laws. I was walking my dog to the grass area and noticed my dog was wanting to go to the bathroom on the gravel. I pulled my dog quickly over to the grass area and picked up his waste to throw away. Little did I realize my dog had dropped a piece of poop before getting to the grass, I didn’t see it but the owner said he watched us and saw my dog poop in the gravel without me picking it up. I returned to my camper and 15 min later I receive a knock at my door and the owner tells me that I left my dogs poop and here it is. He slammed his shovel against the gravel on the ground, dropping a ping ball size poop on my front steps. I felt really bad that I didn’t see it and apologized but as soon as I did the owner tells me this is my first and only warning, if it happens again then we’ll be gone! We apologized a second time and the owner just stared at us angrily and walked away without acknowledging the apology or saying anything further. Me, my wife, my son and my mother and father in-law were jaw dropping shocked. We had stayed here several times before, made this our campground of choice in Dodge City when ever we visit and we’ve never had any issues. We pay good money to stay in their campground every year so a little bit of couth goes a long way in customer service. I was mortified that anyone who owns a campground would talk to someone and threaten to kick them out because of an honest and rather minor mistake. All he had to do was stop by and tell me he saw my dog poop in the road and to please double check your dog while walking him. What further put salt in the womb is when me and my wife went to the front desk to sign in from the night before and we confronted the owner that we didn’t know that our dog had pooped on the lot and again apologized. We then told him that all he had to do was be nice about it and he responded, “I was nice about it”. We argued politely for a minute that he was not nice and there’s no reason to talk to us like we’re little children. We finally gave up rationalizing with him and left. All over town and in front of their campground it’s advertised that their campground is for sale so maybe he’s having a very bad morning or there’s some added stress because their campground is for sale or maybe it’s the “I don’t care” attitude now but one thing is for sure, my family and my in-laws will never make this our weekend home for our mini vacations anymore. My advise is go to the brand new KOA campground right up the street where they don’t treat the customers like this, who actually care how they treat their customers. Plus it’s a heck of a lot nicer with concrete pads, new and very nice facilities. GunSmoke campground is very noisy because of the highway it sits right up against with very crowded campsites on the front half of the campground. They show pictures on the internet of the rear newer addition but not the crowed older section.

A weekend away

Overall it’s a very nice park, close to the lake and lots of space.  The biggest drawback is some pretty poorly maintained showers & bathrooms.  The larger shower houses were fine but the satellite vaulted toilets looked like they hadn’t been swept in a few years.  If you’re an rv camper who showers in your rig it’s a great place, if your a tent camper be ready for some ick.

Decent scenery

Arrived on a Thursday afternoon late August. Started out looking for spots on the west side. Drove around the entire lake and found spot #3 on the east side to have the best views. Pros: Lakeside camping Decent views of bluffs Relaxing sounds of fish jumping Plethora of wild white sage

Cons: Only found one spot worthy of camping Broken glass, diapers, beer cans