The best camping in
Kansas

Camping Kansas

When you think of Kansas, forget about flat. There’s a world of unexpected outdoor adventures waiting for you in the heart of America. Camping in Kansas brings you closer to world-class hiking, fishing, horseback riding, and the ability to enjoy a sunset over the plains. With twenty-six state parks, multiple lakes, and an abundance of trails and wildlife, camping in Kansas is sure to surprise you.

The scenic Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge lies in the broad, flat, and beautiful Neosho River Valley. It’s the country’s largest remaining tract of tallgrass, complete with captivating wildflowers and a nearly endless horizon. El Dorado State Park is situated conveniently at the edge of the Flint Hills and perfect for camping nearby. A destination for boating, fishing, hiking and wildlife viewing, the hills make camping in Kansas as fun-packed as it is gorgeous.

For water lovers, there are a handful of public camping areas near the Kansas River Trail, as well as sandbars welcome to campers scattered along the way. Cyclists and hikers will love camping in Kansas for the numerous trails winding through Kansas River State Park’s breathtaking oak-hickory forest. Plus, you can access the Kansas River (also known as Kaw River) from a boat ramp for canoeing, kayaking, and other small watercraft.

If you’re looking for fresh air, awe-inspiring views, and crystal water, Kansas may have just the right thing. With tall grass, stretching fields, and open skies, the Sunflower State is perfect for those who love trail exploration, wildlife, and even archery! From the Flint Hills to the Kansas River and everything in between, camping in Kansas is perfect for a picturesque and peaceful getaway.

Recent Reviews in Kansas
Large State Park with Many Types of Camping

I was having a difficult time finding a campground with availability on our way back from Colorado since we were leaving on the Sunday before Memorial Day. We decided to stay a couple of extra days and we found sites available at this one. There are two separate campgrounds at Clinton State Park, and we stayed at campground 1. We checked in with the camp host since the office was already closed. We asked for water, electricity, and somewhere close to the bath house. I guess two out of three aren’t bad. The bath house that we were closest to was closed for the season. The open one was at least two hundred yards away. Getting up in the middle of the night, we decided to drive to it in the dark. We didn’t understand why we couldn’t get a site closer to one of the open bath houses since there were several available sites. Another disappointment was that with all of the recent rain, we had a huge puddle separating our pull-through from our picnic table and fire pit. Again, we should have asked for another site. Other than those two disappointments, it was a really good campground, especially for being a state park. The individual toilet/showers were spacious and very clean. There was shade at some of the campsites, and there were open fields for kids to play in. Although the playground was small, there were other things to do. There was a disc golf course, an archery range, hiking trails, and the lake. The lake is large, and there is a place to launch boats, canoes, kayaks, jet skis, etc. At another part of the lake, there is a huge marina for larger boats. Bering in such a remote area, you don’t have to worry about the sounds of traffic. Overall, Clinton State Park is a place you can stay where there is plenty to do. Although there is no swimming pool, other activities previously mentioned should keep you busy.

Charming Campground with Railroad History

This is a charming little campground, and I do not use the word“charming” often. It is charming because it has so many quaint relics of the past, including the town itself. At the entrance to the campground, there is a building covered with old signs, hubcaps, etc. As a photographer, I couldn’t be happier to have the opportunity begin taking pictures immediately. As we drove down the road to our campsite, we came across such oddities as a bicycle halfway up a windmill, an old original train depot with an antique threshing machine next to it, and more. The campsites are flat and fairly spacious. We were lucky that the campground was not at full capacity because many of the sites are in pairs. Our pull-through site was within inches of the adjacent pull-through site. Although there was no picnic table at our site, we could have used one on the adjacent site, and we brought our own table. The site did have a fire pit, but we arrived late and didn’t have time to worry about getting wood. There are seasonal and permanent campers at the campground, and you have to reserve early during peak seasons. I talked to one person at the campground and he said that it was booked up one time when he wanted to stay. Although the site we got was gravel and pull-through, there are sites without power by the creek, in case you want to tent camp or just don’t need hookups. The bath house was clean, and the owner told me that it is sanitized every day. The shower stalls are spacious and there is hot water. There is a playground for kids and activities for older people—basketball, corn hole, etc. The only drawback is that you can hear trains passing through during the night about three or four times. It didn’t bother me since I love the sound of trains, but it does wake you up since the tracks are so close to the campground. The town is within walking distance of the campground, and it is worth walking(or driving) to it. The buildings are interesting architecturally, and the town is known for antiques. Overall, I really liked this campground. It may not have all of the amenities of the larger campgrounds, but it is quiet(except for the trains) and peaceful.

Bed bugs!!! Don’t rent Cabin 5 Larkspur

I’m exhausted, the last 12hrs has been a dumpster fire. Last thing we expected was a bed bug infestation. Woke at midnight with a few annoying bites, on further inspection we were covered in bed bugs, urrrgghh. After picking them off our pj’s and getting over the initial shock we went home to quarantine our clothes, shower and sleep. Returned in the morning to checkout and trash our sleeping bags and pillows. Everyone is disappointed, and I’m out of pocket for 2 nights accommodation and 4x sleeping gear…whoever the host is should be ashamed of themselves, I’m trying to warn the next people, this cabin is booked solid but in reality uninhabitable! The porch is also infested with burrowing bumblebees, scary for kids and adults alike.

It was acceptable

We were in the Heart Stays loop. It was level and beautifully shaded. Thursday night we were the only ones in the loop, however it was near the boat ramps and there was a lot of vehicle traffic all the time. Friday night the campground filled up. There was even more traffic. One large group was very loud until 4:00 am. It is a primitive campground and, I imagine, one of the older ones in the park. The park brochure shows the campground as having a modern toilet, which was a pit toilet. I doubt we’ll go back because of all the noise.

Great family fishing spot

Great spot for a family with a camper that wants to do a little fishing. Each sit had its own little jetty to fish off of, a picnic table and a fire pit. Water was clean and pretty fishy. Camping spots were a little too close for me but that’s my preference.

Very cute and nice place

Great place for a somewhat long stay. Staff are very nice and sweet, there’s free WiFi, lots of pull through spots, has a dump station and allows pets. Overall very family friendly.

Great camping at Rocky Ford.

Our first time camping at Tuttle Creek Rocky Ford. This area is just what we like, lots of trees, secluded, quite, good for the dogs. The hiking trails are well maintained. Great Lake for fishing and boating.

Nice and clean campground

Sites are nicely spacious. Stayed on site 141 and it had much room and privacy. Bathrooms were clean most of the time except late Saturday I guess most people back from their activities and lots of use but overall site camp was great. U can see deers along the way too and the hiking trails are nice view of a creek but make sure u take hiking boots as some spots are very muddy

Great area!!

Great fishing, primitive site was a bit tight to pull a 36’ fifth wheel into, but it’s what we signed up for in a pinch. Great area, patrolled often, amazing fishing! Will be back!!

Memories

I grew up camping at this site and going to festivals down here. It is always maintained and always welcoming