The best camping in
Kansas

Camping Kansas

When you think of Kansas, forget about flat. There’s a world of unexpected outdoor adventures waiting for you in the heart of America. Camping in Kansas brings you closer to world-class hiking, fishing, horseback riding, and the ability to enjoy a sunset over the plains. With twenty-six state parks, multiple lakes, and an abundance of trails and wildlife, camping in Kansas is sure to surprise you.

The scenic Flint Hills National Wildlife Refuge lies in the broad, flat, and beautiful Neosho River Valley. It’s the country’s largest remaining tract of tallgrass, complete with captivating wildflowers and a nearly endless horizon. El Dorado State Park is situated conveniently at the edge of the Flint Hills and perfect for camping nearby. A destination for boating, fishing, hiking and wildlife viewing, the hills make camping in Kansas as fun-packed as it is gorgeous.

For water lovers, there are a handful of public camping areas near the Kansas River Trail, as well as sandbars welcome to campers scattered along the way. Cyclists and hikers will love camping in Kansas for the numerous trails winding through Kansas River State Park’s breathtaking oak-hickory forest. Plus, you can access the Kansas River (also known as Kaw River) from a boat ramp for canoeing, kayaking, and other small watercraft.

If you’re looking for fresh air, awe-inspiring views, and crystal water, Kansas may have just the right thing. With tall grass, stretching fields, and open skies, the Sunflower State is perfect for those who love trail exploration, wildlife, and even archery! From the Flint Hills to the Kansas River and everything in between, camping in Kansas is perfect for a picturesque and peaceful getaway.

Recent Reviews in Kansas
Interesting

Odd policy of age of RV determines how long they will let you stay. They would only allow a week until they saw me and my rig. I suppose that is a legal way to discriminate. Stayed there once before; was a camp ground but also found it odd that electricity was metered was separate from overnight rate

best in kansas

clean restrooms, showers, spotless laundry room. owners willing to help you with anything. very well run. a group of us stay in Oct. and April every year. we usually take 10 spots in front in Oct and 12 spots in rear of park on our way back through. only park around with a 8' deep pool and very wide spots. room for our 42'  c/a and f150.

Scott Lake Camp

Very nice park area. Was very windy when we arrived, found a great wind block. Very few campers there when we stayed. Camp host we very friendly. There were several trails to hike.

Owls nest camping

Small RV park however, it is a nice place. Owners are very nice people.

Nice park

Great place, near Kansas City.

Very nice quiet little trailer park!

Owner Randy is very helpful! He will make your stay a pleasant one!

Limited space

We stopped here and snagged a 30/50 amp spot with water which was just a small gravel pull off on the street through the park. We noticed several locals had parked in other RV spots to get out and walk their dogs so the available space was pretty limited. But the space was free so there’s that. We felt safe here.

Great little city park

This is the only park we could find. But it’s great. There are 45 RV sites here and about 8 I think have electric and water. A dump station is here too. The remaining sites are water only and are good for tent camping as well. Gravel and paved sites for water and electric. We had finished eating dinner and noticed a car sitting down the driveway so my dog and I circled around behind the car and discovered it was a police car. We spoke to the officer and he said they keep a close watch on the park because it’s safe and they want to keep it that way. Cost is $10 per night and there’s a registration drop box at the entrance.

I was unable to find this park look at Kelly park.

This park does not exist.

Beautiful views with full hookups

Well kept, beautiful views with water/electric/sewer and only 4 pull through spots next to a few cabins so it’s quiet and not crowded. Rangers are helpful and friendly. Water is clean and clear. Great park! Full service marina and store on site with supplies, groceries, fun stuff.

Convenient and cheap

Located behind the activity center, level spots with water and 20/30/50 amp hookups, $15 per night. Can’t beat it and the views are pretty too. Dairy Queen and Grocery Store about a block away.

Now called RV Village on Vine

We arrived here after a grueling day battling the wind in our VW van. The new sign is very pretty but didn’t indicate where the park was. We walked into a chicken place looking for it and were told there was no one there and to call the number on the sign. We did and there was no answer and the person hadn’t set up voicemail so we couldn’t leave a message. We discovered a sign on the restroom with info. $30 a night place money in envelope and drop thru slot. The women’s room had 2 toilets but no stalls. One sink. The shower was very unappealing. The door opens with a code. We were finally able to reach someone who gave us the code. The men’s restroom on, according to my husband, was disgusting. The electric box did not work for a normal plug. I had a converter for a large RV plug that did work. The grassy area is pretty but hazardous with children’s toys and pipes etc. strewn about. We had site #10 which had some shade. The website for this place shows pictures that are false, not reality. For a last ditch stop sure, stay here. Otherwise, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Awesome!!

Traveled in 38’ Class A Motorhome

Totally awesome resort - everything you need… from cabin, rv, tent or yurks! Nestled on a beautiful lake. Definitely will stay again!

Campground Flooded With Limited Site Availability (as of September 2019)

When visiting Milford State Park one of the first camping loops you find is Prairie View Campground which is why many find it so appealing.   It has great cell signal, close proximity to the front office and highway and borders upon the lake.    But with that lake access also comes a very scary reality during rainy season.   This campground is prone to lower sites flooding when rains are abundant.    However no one could have prepared for massive rains which took an already vulnerable large campground and turned it into a very small limited access site.

Of the campgrounds available at Milford Lake this is one of the few which remain open despite waters swelling and swallowing the majority of the camp during the 2019 season.

Campsites offer electricity and picnic tables with a variety of styles of sites including pull through and back in.    However with man of these underwater it is hard to find a site currently that feels safe and high enough to merit camping here.

This campground has a lot of promise with their facility.    There is plenty of shade in the area making for a very comfortable stay when not experiencing rising waters.   There is firewood available from the campground host as you enter the campground and 2 loops for camping offer plenty of options during peak season.

Currently there are less than 10 sites available at this location, road is barricaded and the waters are literally in the backyard of all sites as it has created a peninsula.

Typically there is shore access for fishing in this campground.

TIPS:

• Call ahead before visiting this park as a whole to check conditions.  With limited locations for camping currently available you will be happier by checking in advance rather than coming and experiencing being turned away.
  • Book online or pay at the pay station with cash.    No cards are accepted at the pay station and mostly of the time there is no one in the check in booth at the gate.
Nice new campground

New and very clean campground. Clean showers and new washers & dryers. Close to the attractions.

Nature trail

Great location to enjoy nature

Leave no trace

Great picnic and camping site. And fishing with boat ramp.

Leave no trace

Let’s keep this lake and all other lakes and parks clean. Pick up after yourselves. Practice “leave no trace” leave the area Better than you found it, for the next person can enjoy.

Wonderful Facilities

Very nice laundry room and bathroom facilities! Standard tent camping site. Nice staff - check out the postcards in the office!

WARNING!!! VERY RUDE OWNER’S!!

Before I do my review here, I want to point out that we own a small Toy Poodle and are very conscience of our dogs bio footprint in the environment and always pick up after he uses the bathroom. So here is our experience that really upset our family and my in-laws. I was walking my dog to the grass area and noticed my dog was wanting to go to the bathroom on the gravel. I pulled my dog quickly over to the grass area and picked up his waste to throw away. Little did I realize my dog had dropped a piece of poop before getting to the grass, I didn’t see it but the owner said he watched us and saw my dog poop in the gravel without me picking it up. I returned to my camper and 15 min later I receive a knock at my door and the owner tells me that I left my dogs poop and here it is. He slammed his shovel against the gravel on the ground, dropping a ping ball size poop on my front steps. I felt really bad that I didn’t see it and apologized but as soon as I did the owner tells me this is my first and only warning, if it happens again then we’ll be gone! We apologized a second time and the owner just stared at us angrily and walked away without acknowledging the apology or saying anything further. Me, my wife, my son and my mother and father in-law were jaw dropping shocked. We had stayed here several times before, made this our campground of choice in Dodge City when ever we visit and we’ve never had any issues. We pay good money to stay in their campground every year so a little bit of couth goes a long way in customer service. I was mortified that anyone who owns a campground would talk to someone and threaten to kick them out because of an honest and rather minor mistake. All he had to do was stop by and tell me he saw my dog poop in the road and to please double check your dog while walking him. What further put salt in the womb is when me and my wife went to the front desk to sign in from the night before and we confronted the owner that we didn’t know that our dog had pooped on the lot and again apologized. We then told him that all he had to do was be nice about it and he responded, “I was nice about it”. We argued politely for a minute that he was not nice and there’s no reason to talk to us like we’re little children. We finally gave up rationalizing with him and left. All over town and in front of their campground it’s advertised that their campground is for sale so maybe he’s having a very bad morning or there’s some added stress because their campground is for sale or maybe it’s the “I don’t care” attitude now but one thing is for sure, my family and my in-laws will never make this our weekend home for our mini vacations anymore. My advise is go to the brand new KOA campground right up the street where they don’t treat the customers like this, who actually care how they treat their customers. Plus it’s a heck of a lot nicer with concrete pads, new and very nice facilities. GunSmoke campground is very noisy because of the highway it sits right up against with very crowded campsites on the front half of the campground. They show pictures on the internet of the rear newer addition but not the crowed older section.

A weekend away

Overall it’s a very nice park, close to the lake and lots of space.  The biggest drawback is some pretty poorly maintained showers & bathrooms.  The larger shower houses were fine but the satellite vaulted toilets looked like they hadn’t been swept in a few years.  If you’re an rv camper who showers in your rig it’s a great place, if your a tent camper be ready for some ick.

Decent scenery

Arrived on a Thursday afternoon late August. Started out looking for spots on the west side. Drove around the entire lake and found spot #3 on the east side to have the best views. Pros: Lakeside camping Decent views of bluffs Relaxing sounds of fish jumping Plethora of wild white sage

Cons: Only found one spot worthy of camping Broken glass, diapers, beer cans

Peaceful weekend

Small campground, but clean and very peaceful. Waterfront site. Private lake so fishing was not a problem.

Spacious, Shaded & Even

Traveling to this State Park I didn't know much what to expect.   I did know that a lot of the camping was not accessible because of the recent flooding but they did maintain the self pay station for those wanting to snag the limited sites available.    I can only imagine with the upcoming Labor Day weekend this will still be hot ticket!

When I checked out this campground the sites seemed larger and more spacious overall.   The upper loop still had that camping neighborhood vibe with sites clumped together a bit more closely but each was shaded and had a nice pull in and included a fire ring and picnic table, in some cases more than one.

There was a nice restroom area which included showers, something many of the campgrounds did not have so this was a hot commodity for sure.

I can imagine this being a great location for RV campers with relatively even pull ins and for tents alike with lush grassy areas.   This campground did offer connections and water around camp.

On the lower loop it was a Bir more secluded and felt more spacious.    I preferred the short walk to the restroom to keep that privacy.

Many of these sites were located on shoreline directly or on the cliffside of the area with great views.    Unfortunately these were also the ones which were more effected by the floods so only a portion of the area was able to be accessed.

Tips:

* Book Online or carry cash, there is no fee station currently and self pay is the only option.   This does not allow you to use card.

* Check the weather in advance.   There are many options for camping at the park when the weather has not been terrible but with limited sites available currently you will want to make sure you plan ahead with the weather and seek higher sites.

* Bring your fishing pole or boat, this lake is amazing for fishing and has plenty of places you can launch your water vessel of choice.

Known For Amenities

This area is unique as a part of the overall parks area.   Providing mostly day use they have used this as overflow upon occasion according to the lake office.   It has vault toilets and not much more for campers however.   There are no clearly marked camping locations as this is only used as overflow and for special event camping.

The area is mainly used as day use and does have some really nice features for that. There are several pavilions and covered areas for shaded picnics and functions.    Additionally there are several volley ball areas spread throughout and maintained well.

There is an older playground near the boat ramp and a much nicer and newer one located closest to the larger parking area and largest pavilion.

The main draw to this area is the swimming beach which is the best of the parks offerings with sandy bars and well maintained grassy areas for shade.   However, due to recent flooding the are is not currently deemed as safe for swimming and now is more of a collection of water foul enjoying the banks casually.

If you are visiting the area this is a location I would definitely check this part of the lake out and give it a shot for day use.   Also check with the lake information center to see if they are hosting special events which allow you to camp and reserve in advance!!

My favorite small town

Claim to fame is their Black Squirrels. Wonderfull town with several museums. Don't pass this town without stopping.

Not open when I visited in Late Aug

So I was excited after seeing so many great reviews for this campground. Even more so when I arrived and saw how beautiful green and lush the area was. I did however discover the campground was locked and a sign had been placed at the entrance of the camp that it would not be opening again until April 2020.

A little confused because there were RV campers inside I explored inside and around and discovered this is partially due to recent rains flooding a portion of the campground. I completely understood that however the elevated RV spaces were still functional and not at risk.

The location itself is beautiful with lake views on 2 sides of the camp. You are only a short distance from the boat launch and day use area which have many more signs of recent rain with trees nearly completely underwater in this area.

The roads are paved, wide and well maintained. The bathrooms available on site are mainly vault toilets however in the camp there are some improvements.

Tent camping is only $14 well worth it if the campground were open in my opinion!! I will for sure be coming back!

Nice for a quick stopover

Nice and clean. Full hookups. Lacking some amenities but it’s definitely a nice stay when passing through.

Small, but nice campground.

Nice KOA campground. A little further than we wanted to be from Wichita, but not their fault. Clean, friendly employees. Would stay here again.

Nice campground, good breakfast nearby

This is a nicely maintained state park. All the amenities you'd expect. No complaints. Truck stop a few miles away that had a really good breakfast and giant cinnamon rolls!