Cimarron, KANSAS

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Cimarron Camping Reviews
Lake Meade State Park in March

Stayed 2 nights in early March.   Lake View site #22, beautiful view from the lake's edge.   Most sought after site.    Was nearly all alone.  Power and Electric hook-ups.   Many hook-up options but no sewer.    Did have a dump station.   Roughly $20/night for premium site.    Some spots are a little close together, but the lake views and otherwise open areas make up for it.

Where did the Lake Go

Water Sports, no longer has it's Lake. There are still some trailers here from when this is to be the watering hole for the area. Over 100 plus sites. Many 30 amp less 50 amps, water at every site and a dump station. Like many other parks in this region the burs are here too. Laundry Room good for small to medium sized items. Bath house has codes and are in the need of a little TLC, but are clean. Great price. They made a fresh pot of coffee for is before we left. Customer Service is awesome.

best in kansas

clean restrooms, showers, spotless laundry room. owners willing to help you with anything. very well run. a group of us stay in Oct. and April every year. we usually take 10 spots in front in Oct and 12 spots in rear of park on our way back through. only park around with a 8' deep pool and very wide spots. room for our 42'  c/a and f150.

Nice new campground

New and very clean campground. Clean showers and new washers & dryers. Close to the attractions.

WARNING!!! VERY RUDE OWNER’S!!

Before I do my review here, I want to point out that we own a small Toy Poodle and are very conscience of our dogs bio footprint in the environment and always pick up after he uses the bathroom. So here is our experience that really upset our family and my in-laws. I was walking my dog to the grass area and noticed my dog was wanting to go to the bathroom on the gravel. I pulled my dog quickly over to the grass area and picked up his waste to throw away. Little did I realize my dog had dropped a piece of poop before getting to the grass, I didn’t see it but the owner said he watched us and saw my dog poop in the gravel without me picking it up. I returned to my camper and 15 min later I receive a knock at my door and the owner tells me that I left my dogs poop and here it is. He slammed his shovel against the gravel on the ground, dropping a ping ball size poop on my front steps. I felt really bad that I didn’t see it and apologized but as soon as I did the owner tells me this is my first and only warning, if it happens again then we’ll be gone! We apologized a second time and the owner just stared at us angrily and walked away without acknowledging the apology or saying anything further. Me, my wife, my son and my mother and father in-law were jaw dropping shocked. We had stayed here several times before, made this our campground of choice in Dodge City when ever we visit and we’ve never had any issues. We pay good money to stay in their campground every year so a little bit of couth goes a long way in customer service. I was mortified that anyone who owns a campground would talk to someone and threaten to kick them out because of an honest and rather minor mistake. All he had to do was stop by and tell me he saw my dog poop in the road and to please double check your dog while walking him. What further put salt in the womb is when me and my wife went to the front desk to sign in from the night before and we confronted the owner that we didn’t know that our dog had pooped on the lot and again apologized. We then told him that all he had to do was be nice about it and he responded, “I was nice about it”. We argued politely for a minute that he was not nice and there’s no reason to talk to us like we’re little children. We finally gave up rationalizing with him and left. All over town and in front of their campground it’s advertised that their campground is for sale so maybe he’s having a very bad morning or there’s some added stress because their campground is for sale or maybe it’s the “I don’t care” attitude now but one thing is for sure, my family and my in-laws will never make this our weekend home for our mini vacations anymore. My advise is go to the brand new KOA campground right up the street where they don’t treat the customers like this, who actually care how they treat their customers. Plus it’s a heck of a lot nicer with concrete pads, new and very nice facilities. GunSmoke campground is very noisy because of the highway it sits right up against with very crowded campsites on the front half of the campground. They show pictures on the internet of the rear newer addition but not the crowed older section.

Simple

So this is a very simple campsite. If you want nice this is not where you go. We had our choice of campsites and there are three levels that you could be on. The bathrooms are a two on a five scale. But they do have full hook ups with 50 A. Nice and breezy. Laundry facilities are available and that is about it. A short walk down the hill to the Miss Kitty restaurant in the cattlemen lounge.

Great water sport stop.

If you play on the water, then this might just work for you. There were no water hook ups. There is power available but every site is shared so no privacy. They are under trees so shade was good. Sites are unimproved and very soft when wet. Folks are generally nice.

Very minimal.

In the middle of seemingly no where… Great one night stop. A few electronic & water hook ups. No dump station that I've found. Dogs should be on leash, but no one here and no one to bother.

Wild west

Great little town with loads of history

Clean well maintained park

Helpful staff

Close to casino and shopping

Small but beautiful

Well maintained sites. Amazing swimming area. Helpful staff

Small store for snacks and bait. The even have an ice cream truck that makes the rounds! Huge catfish have been caught here. They have many dates for family friendly activities that include trick or treating in Oct.

Playground

Boat access but it's a no wake lake

Nearest major town about 25 miles away

Some spots cannot be reserved

Game wardens patrol regularly so make sure you have the correct permits