The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Argonia , KANSAS

Camping Kansas Argonia Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Argonia Camping Reviews
Hunters Gateway to the Sandhills

Enjoy this free, handsome campground year round. Enjoy the coyotes howling at night and the waterfowl on the still lake in the morning. Go fishing for slab crappie and hunt the sand hills for deer, and bobwhite quail! The restrooms and camp sites are very clean!

Free!

GPS coordinates are for the entrance, drive down the dirt road and take first right or continue on for more sites. Lots of shade and fire pits bathroom however is at the second location further up the road. We were the only ones in the campground. There is a nearby shooting range which you can hear but closes in the evening and then all is quiet. There is a dumpster along the dirt road.

Dirt road passable in our 26 foot class C RV with some navigable ruts, may be worse in wet weather. There was quite a bit of bugs as well and an armadillo.

AT&T and Verizon cell reception was adequate.

Winter is Coming

Great spot for a close to town quick Getaway. The sites are spacious and clean. The state does a great job keeping it that way.

Camping Above the River

Very pretty park with lots of trees in the campground, birdwatching and fishing! Family and group friendly. Sweet little wildwood chapel and nice trails. It's a popular park, well kept and friendly. Paved RV sites with water and electric, some a little too close together. Reservations must be made through Reserve America. The only distraction was the morning we left, when several small planes made practice landings and takeoffs at the nearby Jet Airport. They were so noisy when they flew over the campground and river that you couldn't hear anything but the engine noise. Not sure how often this happens. It was a Monday morning that day.

Surprisingly delightful

Plenty of primitive sites right along the lakeshore, well spaced and most shaded by cottonwood trees. No hookup, just a picnic table and a fire ring. Vault toilets. Stayed one night in our small rv on Columbus weekend in October. Not crowded, extremely quiet. Heard ducks and owls during the night. No fee!!

Easy place to stay

It a destination park but it is convenient to Wichita and is great as a overnight stop. We’ve been here 2 times and have had great service from the staff and it’s always easy to book.

Ok but noisy at night

We must have camped at part central. Mud lake. Noisy.. crowded. Showers were closed and turned off and the bathrooms were dirty. No longer a favorite place to stay because of the partying. May need to relocate to the other side of the lake.

So much fun

You can’t camp at the actual Salt Plains. We spent the day here and had such an awesome time. I took kids ages 3-12 and they all had a blast. Make sure to bring metal shovels and metal hand shovels bc the plastic ones will break, you will want sand buckets, egg cartons to put the crystals in bc when they come out they are still soft and brittle, sunscreen, lots of water, towels, baby wipes, a umbrella if you have one (we didn’t need it but a lot of people prefer them). I can’t stand sand/salt on me (think nails on a chalk board feeling) so I needed to shower pronto afterwards and couldn’t so lots of water to rinse off with is a good thing to have. You will have sand and salt all over your car inside and out FYI lol.

Fun place to go

We tent camped and had a good time. The water is shallow forever so you don’t have to worry much about little ones playing. It isn’t too far from the great salt plains. Had a awesome day digging and was nice to go for a swim go get all the salt and sand off of us. I think next time I’ll drive home bc I can’t stand salt on my body. The feeling is awful to me lol. Def take some metal shovels and metal hand shovels ( the little plastic ones break) take lots of water, baby wipes and towels. You’ll also want to take egg cartons bc the crystals are soft when you dig them up so you’ll want to store them in it to harden up. My kids loves it and had a blast!

Great place to stay over in Wichita

Close to everywhere, flat gravel sites, friendly owners and employees, full hookups, nice dog park and kid's playground. We travel through Wichita frequently and are happy to have found a place to stay overnight or longer when needed.