The best WALK IN camping near
Cleghorn , IOWA

Most Recent Cleghorn Camping Reviews
Martin's Access

Primitive camping was awesome

quiet park in the country

I went to college nearby, so i knew of this park but had never visited. On our way to Wyoming from Chicago, we stopped to stay here overnight.  Other than saying it's a nice place in the woods, in what is otherwise open farmland, I don't have much else I can say.

Busy

Stone State Park, Sioux City, Iowa

End of a not to long day driving across Iowa……corn, lotsa corn! We stopped at Dolliver Memorial State Park for a hike about midday, it looked a bit better taken care of then Stone SP.

This is basically a small primitive campground with electric added to some sites. Not horrible for an overnight….

First impression…..I considered getting back on the road. The people that I saw in the meager campground looked somewhat homeless. No offense and they do need to stay somewhere however they could also keep their areas decluttered and detrashed. There was a family staying on the far side of the ditch that seemed to be camping.

There was constant vehicle traffic around the small loop my site was on, they seemed to have no purpose other then to stare. The campground shower house was used by whomever felt like using it which also added to the traffic.

After Maquoketa Cave SP this is a disappointment. The trails were overgrown and the map was not easy to orient. I only explored so far so I may have missed the cool stuff that signifies this park. There was sketchy coverage for your phone so I couldn’t pull up Alltrails, make sure to download before You drive in.

Small campground in a large state park

This is a large state park in the northwest corner of Iowa, surprisingly wooded considering how close to Sioux City it is located. Touted as a year-round park, there is a large network of trails, some of which can be used as equestrian. HOWEVER, the trails are not labeled and there is no (or very fleeting) cell service so that even after looking at the map (located on a board in the park, not a paper one), I wandered aimlessly around the park getting lost. One of the trailheads requires that you tramp directly through Site 12 to access! I explored this trail for approximately a quarter of a mile, but it became very overgrown and because I was not sure where I was going, I ended up turning around.

The campground is divided into three sections

• Sites 1-11 are located on either side of the access road are a bit too close together for our preference and despite the park being so wooded, have no foliage or other visible separation between the sites. These sites all have electric hookups

• Sites 12-14 are at the top of the hill and have the easiest access to the restrooms; they also have electric hookups. In my opinion, Site 14 would be the most desirable. Given that there are only three sites here, there was a surprising number of cars driving past these sites.

• Sites 15-30 are primitive tent sites and located near Cabin#3 (a CCC cabin).

The bathrooms were clean and (don’t laugh at me), the toilets had lids! Given the current virus situation, this was a nice and welcome surprise!

There was no camp host and we only saw one ranger during our stay. There is a nice playground, but it is not located anywhere near the campground (it is located closer to two of the cabins). If you are camping with children, please note this. There are three cabins, one that was built by the CCC and a lodge which also looked to be a CCC product, although it did not appear to be open when we were there.

Good enough

$11 for one night in a tent. Was a halfway point to my destination and a last minute thing. Has some cool trails, and the area is nice enough. Bathroom/showers are a mess, but it’s a state park so I didn’t expect much.

Super nice

This was a great spot last minute find. Super friendly . It’s just off the interstate which was nice for us . Hosts were great. Super clean bathrooms . Nice showers . Pizza they make in sight is good too! Super close to stores . Nice spot.

Very fun

A tent site was $40 with no electricity so it’s more pricy then other sites but they have a ton of things to do. Checkers, chess, swings, play set, mini golf, inflatable bouncy blog, pool, and more. They had a gift shop with anything you needed to buy. The bathrooms were very nice and clean but did smell a bit. They had electricity/ wall outlets in the bathrooms. The highway is very close so you do hear cars. Privacy fences around the site to block out the neighborhood. Very nice staff!

Fun place

Awesome place to stay. Lots of activities for the kids. Staff was awesome

Sunrise

We had a wonderful view if lake from campsite. Camp ground was kept clean. I especially liked then number of bathroom/shower combos. I have been in campgrounds where shower wasn't as private as it could be. This was great and clean.

Great family campground

Nice pullthru campsites, with lots of activities,  large pool.