Saylorville Lake, IOWA
Most Recent Saylorville Lake Camping Reviews
Best waterfront camping we have found

The best waterfront camping we have found near us. Small friendly community of camping. Door to door ice and concession delivery. Awesome open air roller skating rink and nightly grilling parties at the beach.

Wonderful place to camp!

Beautiful wooded campground with a water ford crossing and tunnel! There is a way to avoid the tunnel while pulling a travel trailer or 5th wheel. Wonderful hosts.

Great park!

Lots or good fishing spots and great views! Reccomend going mid summer or fall to see everything

Went when I was a kid!

Remember camping here when I was a kid and having a blast! Miles of trails and great hang out areas around the lake and a great spot to go fishing!

Cool sites for Iowa

Nice place. Family has camped here a few times. Had immense fun playing in the river as a kid. Enjoyed the hikes too.

Horse park

Good place to camp. Year round access. Close to Pella and Knoxville

Decent

Good place close to Pella and Knoxville. Some sites on Red Rock. Little pricey for not having full hookups. Overall good place.

Sites Available in December

Full service flat sites!!

Clean, big-rig friendly membership campground. Easy access to I-35/80.

Offers cabins, fishing pond, lots of weekend activities. Amenities include store, snack bar, indoor and outdoor pool, laundry, catch-and-release fishing pond, mini golf, and more.

Ledges will reopen in January 2019

Ledges State Park is one of the most visited parks in Iowa. I loved coming to this park as a kid and I can't wait for it to re-open. It has been closed since January 2018, but it scheduled to re-open in January of 2019. Here is a link to a local story explaining the closure and flooding and the schedule to re-open the park.

Solid County Park with large sites and great hiking in the woods.

This is an update from my previous post now with pics and a little snow. This campground is a little off of the beaten path but it is quiet and has great hiking trails. It is also known locally for its effigy mounds where native american artifact were buried.

This is a great place if you like peace and quiet and local hiking trails.

5 mile Hike around the lake

This is a great State Park and a great campground. There are a lot of great trees to hang a hammock and if you have a camper or an RV there are great places to pull into. Most people think of the lake and they think of the canoeing and the swimming. Don't forget the great trails for hiking and some practice for backpacking around the lake. It is a good five mile loop and a ton of fun.

I also had a nice meal of Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef, Fresh Strawberries and Yogurt and some hot cocoa to top things off.

Relaxing in the beauty that is Iowa

Went in without a reservation. No problem. Pleasantly surprised to find out it's an Army Corps of Engineers park; meaning if you have a annual National Parks pass, you get a discount. Didn't know that. We paid $11 for a tent site. Lots of RV sites around. The whole area around Saylorville Lake has camping. Lush green plots of land everywhere. I forget how pretty it is in the Midwest when I'm gone for so long. Quiet, relaxing place. Friendly staff. We took a long walk through the campground and others nearby. Boating and swimming in the lake.

Iowa State Campgrounds

Incredible time! Great entertainment and clean place. It’s hard not to have a good time and amazing food.

Great little campground by a lake

Great spot by a small lake in Stephen's State Forest. Didn't have a soul around us for the night we camped here (late September). Temps were around 43 degrees at night. Fire pits have nice swinging grates on them. There was a picnic table at each spot as well. We were in Campsite 007. Would have given 5 stars but you will hear train horns blowing all night at this location.

Great Quiet Free Campground

We stayed two night at this campground. Arrived late and just filled out the registration form. They have fire pits and picnic tables. They also have two clean pit toilets. You can stay 14 days free I think. Quiet and had the place to ourselves. Maintained and they had patrol checking through at night. Highly recommend it.

Indian Mounds and hiking trails at Hickory Hills

This is a great little park just east of New Virginia, Iowa. I went to the park with my son and Boy Scout Troop for a night hike, that is why there are no pictures. This is a great little park. The hiking trails are pretty easy going through the forest and then opening up next to old Native American burial mounds. This is really a great place to pitch a tent. It is clean and well maintained.

Great Park, not a great campground

I drive by East Lake on my way to church every Sunday. It is a great park with pavillion's, a lake, basketball, volleyball, horseshoe pits, playground equipment, etc.

There just isn't much for camping. It is very limited. There is not a shower house either. This paek really is to serve the residents of Osceola, Iowa to enjoy daytime activities.

Lenon Mill is right next to Lake Panorama

This County Park is located right on the edge of Lake Panorama, a great town North West of Des Moines, Iowa. It is surrounded by amenities, so if you forget something you can drive five minutes into town to replace anything you forgot at home.

This is not a place to rough it, but if you have a family and want an outdoors experience close to amenities, this is the place for you. The campground is very clean and it is right next to a river.

Springbrook SP is Beautiful

Springbrook State Park is beautiful. It is surrounded by mature forests and is very clean with amenities for all types of campers. The lake is pristine and great for some canoeing or kayaking. this is a great place if you have a young family and want to do some weekend camping. I highly recommend it.

Nations Bridge is a nice park

Nations Bridge County Park was clean with great trees and hiking trails as well as open spaces for frisbee golf and picnics It is a great campground if you have an RV or camper or just a tent.

Plenty of things to keep your family busy. If you are in a Scout Troop or have a youth group there is a large campsite away from the other campers that allows everyone to have fun without disturbing each other. This is a great campground and is just north of the city of Stuart right off of interstate 80.

A lovely COE campground with wide level spaces

The individual sites are quite spacious. They are paved and level and can accommodate large rigs. We have never looked for a pull-through site, we back in with our 37' Allegro Bus, so I cannot comment on them. There are several group camping loops that can accommodate small and large groups of campers. The campground, including showers and restrooms, is clean and well-maintained. There are beautiful views of the lake in the Cornflower loop. There are playgrounds for the children and plenty of space for them to run and play. Saylorville Reservoir has a marina, with a restaurant/bar. We have to keep our motorhome in storage, so we use Prairie Flower campground as our staging area when we get ready for an away trip. We can get in an out with food and whatever else we need to take with us, and we can utilize the dump station before leaving. We also like to go camping there mid-week and enjoy the quiet time.

Amazing

Stayed at this campground for my college visit to ISU and I nearly went to the university just because I wanted to be here at this park every weekend.

Where's the lake? Over the highway and through the woods

Unfortunately there's no lake view, but there's full hookups and a good mix of tent and RV sites. Be careful of low lying trees for taller campers.

Small Quant and scenic

The views around the park are some of the very best in Iowa. Hiking trails often found you coming face to face with deer who look at you inquisitively. Fun for family as the waters over the roadways are a splash for adults and children alike. It's a hidden gem, just outside Boone Iowa.

Hidden Gem

Small county park with clean showers and restrooms. Several short trails, mile mile and a half maybe. Tent camping is always available (literally - was just there over Labor day weekend and had no trouble getting a spot on Saturday), with maybe 20 electric sites, no reservations. New this year is firewood for purchase. Not far from the famous High Trestle Trail for you bicycle enthusiasts! My wife and I teardrop trailer camp here as often as we can.

Great Pull Thru next to the Des Moines River

Great spot located next to the Des Moines River. Check in was a breeze and conveniently near the fill and dump stations. Peaceful lot near the river. Great fishing in the river. Near a city so you don't run short on supplies.

Primitive County Conservation Sites

Nice quite sites along the Raccoon River. Has hiking, fishing, hunting, paddling, wildlife, small Bear Creek nature center, open daily 1/2 hr before sunrise to 10:30 pm, Has upper and lower (adjacent to Raccoon River) campground sites.

Railroad tracks are biggest problem, otherwise a nice campground

This is a small city park, great for a weekend stop or a traveler passing by on Interstate 80. This camp is just about five minutes off of the interstate. It is clean and well taken care of. The biggest downside is that the camp is right next to the railroad tracks, so if you have small kids or are a light sleeper you may want to keep that in mind before staying here. If you are a traveler, don't worry, Adair City Park and Casey City Campground are very close and a comparable alternative.

Small City Park

This campground is right off the interstate in the small town of Casey Iowa. This is a small town. There is a little diner and a few businesses, but if you camp here make sure you have not forgotten anything important at home.

The campground is clean and perfect for someone with a camper or an RV.