Lake Red Rock, IOWA
Most Recent Lake Red Rock Camping Reviews
Great place to camp, kayak, fish, and hike!

Spacious campground with clean facilities.  Some campsites are close to the lake.  Several hiking paths-Lakeshore Trail goes around the whole lake, so be sure to reserve 2-3 hours to conquer this path-more if you like to take in the scenery.  Quite a bit of wildlife seen during kayaking and hiking-muskrat, beaver, swans, geese could be found on the water. Also seen: deer, bald eagles, frogs, toads, turtles.  There were many that enjoyed fishing on the lake, as well. We spent our time hiking and kayaking, but fishing seemed pretty good for those partaking. Also has a nice beach!

Great park!

Lots or good fishing spots and great views! Reccomend going mid summer or fall to see everything

Went when I was a kid!

Remember camping here when I was a kid and having a blast! Miles of trails and great hang out areas around the lake and a great spot to go fishing!

Camping in town

This camp ground is smack dab in the middle of town. But once you're inside the campground surrounded by others it's hard to tell. You do hear quite a bit of traffic but depending on where your site is, you may not see it. I was disappointed when after years and years we were told we can no longer have a tent on your site with your camper. We would have to have our family members camp in a different part of the park.

Great view

Fills up fast on rv side but great views. 1st come 1 serve. Lots of sites on the water and plenty of tent sites. Decent fishing, lots of bluegill and some crappie.

Horse park

Good place to camp. Year round access. Close to Pella and Knoxville

Decent

Good place close to Pella and Knoxville. Some sites on Red Rock. Little pricey for not having full hookups. Overall good place.

Excellent

This is a beautiful state park with a very nicely laid-out campground. We always enjoy our visits to Red Haw.

Sites Available in December

Full service flat sites!!

Clean, big-rig friendly membership campground. Easy access to I-35/80.

Offers cabins, fishing pond, lots of weekend activities. Amenities include store, snack bar, indoor and outdoor pool, laundry, catch-and-release fishing pond, mini golf, and more.

Solid County Park with large sites and great hiking in the woods.

This is an update from my previous post now with pics and a little snow. This campground is a little off of the beaten path but it is quiet and has great hiking trails. It is also known locally for its effigy mounds where native american artifact were buried.

This is a great place if you like peace and quiet and local hiking trails.

5 mile Hike around the lake

This is a great State Park and a great campground. There are a lot of great trees to hang a hammock and if you have a camper or an RV there are great places to pull into. Most people think of the lake and they think of the canoeing and the swimming. Don't forget the great trails for hiking and some practice for backpacking around the lake. It is a good five mile loop and a ton of fun.

I also had a nice meal of Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef, Fresh Strawberries and Yogurt and some hot cocoa to top things off.

Very nice campground

Very nice campground with lake to fish and boat on. Has beach access also.

Nice location

nice Campground in the middle of town, close to stores and has nice walking trails. Has a pond to fish as well and across the street from the city park!

Relaxing in the beauty that is Iowa

Went in without a reservation. No problem. Pleasantly surprised to find out it's an Army Corps of Engineers park; meaning if you have a annual National Parks pass, you get a discount. Didn't know that. We paid $11 for a tent site. Lots of RV sites around. The whole area around Saylorville Lake has camping. Lush green plots of land everywhere. I forget how pretty it is in the Midwest when I'm gone for so long. Quiet, relaxing place. Friendly staff. We took a long walk through the campground and others nearby. Boating and swimming in the lake.

Iowa State Campgrounds

Incredible time! Great entertainment and clean place. It’s hard not to have a good time and amazing food.

Great little campground by a lake

Great spot by a small lake in Stephen's State Forest. Didn't have a soul around us for the night we camped here (late September). Temps were around 43 degrees at night. Fire pits have nice swinging grates on them. There was a picnic table at each spot as well. We were in Campsite 007. Would have given 5 stars but you will hear train horns blowing all night at this location.

Great Quiet Free Campground

We stayed two night at this campground. Arrived late and just filled out the registration form. They have fire pits and picnic tables. They also have two clean pit toilets. You can stay 14 days free I think. Quiet and had the place to ourselves. Maintained and they had patrol checking through at night. Highly recommend it.

Indian Mounds and hiking trails at Hickory Hills

This is a great little park just east of New Virginia, Iowa. I went to the park with my son and Boy Scout Troop for a night hike, that is why there are no pictures. This is a great little park. The hiking trails are pretty easy going through the forest and then opening up next to old Native American burial mounds. This is really a great place to pitch a tent. It is clean and well maintained.

Great Park, not a great campground

I drive by East Lake on my way to church every Sunday. It is a great park with pavillion's, a lake, basketball, volleyball, horseshoe pits, playground equipment, etc.

There just isn't much for camping. It is very limited. There is not a shower house either. This paek really is to serve the residents of Osceola, Iowa to enjoy daytime activities.

A lovely COE campground with wide level spaces

The individual sites are quite spacious. They are paved and level and can accommodate large rigs. We have never looked for a pull-through site, we back in with our 37' Allegro Bus, so I cannot comment on them. There are several group camping loops that can accommodate small and large groups of campers. The campground, including showers and restrooms, is clean and well-maintained. There are beautiful views of the lake in the Cornflower loop. There are playgrounds for the children and plenty of space for them to run and play. Saylorville Reservoir has a marina, with a restaurant/bar. We have to keep our motorhome in storage, so we use Prairie Flower campground as our staging area when we get ready for an away trip. We can get in an out with food and whatever else we need to take with us, and we can utilize the dump station before leaving. We also like to go camping there mid-week and enjoy the quiet time.

Where's the lake? Over the highway and through the woods

Unfortunately there's no lake view, but there's full hookups and a good mix of tent and RV sites. Be careful of low lying trees for taller campers.

Island View - H19

Campground was very clean and staff was helpful and polite. A lot of spots have a nice view of the water. It tends to be very busy. My stay was a week past labor day and still over half full. Restrooms / showers were clean, nothing fancy. Did some fishing while there and caught enough crappie for a nice dinner with some left over for breakfast the next morning.

Island View - H19

Great Pull Thru next to the Des Moines River

Great spot located next to the Des Moines River. Check in was a breeze and conveniently near the fill and dump stations. Peaceful lot near the river. Great fishing in the river. Near a city so you don't run short on supplies.

Nice Place

I have tent camped at Lake Ahquabi Campground several times. There are some great spots down by the lake that are perfect for tent camping. There is quite a bit to do in this State Park. There are a few trails, there is plenty of fishing, a swimming beach, and they have water sport rentals! The area is very pretty and peaceful. I would recommend for campers with kids and without. There are showers and plenty of bathrooms.

Quiet camp close to town

I camped here a lot growing up and many times since then. We visit the park often. Nice quiet campground with the Des Moines river close by for fishing or kayaking. Most of the spots are shaded and well maintained. The backpacking area is very nice as well.

Fantastic Space and View!

This quickly became one of our favorite close to home spots. Sites are large and there is plenty of space between sites. We had a concrete pad with a picnic table and fire pit with grill grate. Most are back in sites, but once settled we had a gorgeous view of the lake and sunsets. Restrooms were clean and dump stations were easily accessible. This is now our go to spot when we want to camp but stay close to home!

Will come back

Lots of shade, quiet.

Good for activities

As with all fairgrounds it isn’t designed for camping. But staying at or really near the event is much cheaper than a hotel. Overall good.