Lake Red Rock, IOWA
Camping Iowa Lake Red Rock
Most Recent Lake Red Rock Camping Reviews
Pretty happy

The campground has some very nice spots and wasn’t busy at all. The bathroom at the campground doesn’t have plumbing and no water available so make sure to bring plenty of water. There is a small park to play at for kids.

There are a couple of hiking trails in the park that are maintained. One goes to a creek and a bird watching station. There is also a orienteering course but you have to walk in the woods to finish it.

The observatory that’s open on Saturday’s (except the 1st Saturday) was awesome and the astronomers were great people and very knowledgeable. They showed how their telescopes worked and took us a tour of the building and classroom. The bathrooms at the observatory had plumbing and were very clean.

All in all it was a great campsite, not really anyone there and we had a lot of fun on the trails and the observatory.

Prairie Flower Campground

It is a COE campground. We stayed in site A25. Not all loops are paved. A is not. But the site was pretty level, wasn't too much trouble to get our trailer backed in and leveled. No water hook ups, so fill up after you get in the campground before you park. Lots of prairie area around, spacious sites. Varying levels of shade. A25, had a good amount of shade and was near the nice playground and nice bathrooms. No view of the lake from loop A. Nearby bike paths. A few minutes to restaurants.

Great campground full of fun!

This is a great place to camp and bring your kids! Jump into the nearby water and let the kids have a blast! Enjoy a nice fun night away from home!

Right on the water

Pros: Loved being right on the water and so close to the playground and restrooms. Nice area to bike around, and had a ton of kids. Showed a movie near the playground in the evenings.

Cons: Beach was covered in poop, too nasty to swim. Rented a paddle boat, and had to come back after 5 mins because they were infested with hundreds of spiders. The horse shoe pit was overgrown with grass.

Spacious sites, beautiful lake!

The campground itself is very nice. There is a lot of space between campsites, which is awesome!  Our site had a great view of the lake, as well.   The campgrounds are a drive away from the beach and most boat ramps.  The lake was great for kayaking, but the visit to Whitebreast beach knocked the campground scored down, as I typically look for the overall experience and not just sites/facilities in my rating.  Whitebreast beach had sand at the top, leading me to believe it would be a typical sandy beach-not at all!  As you made your way further down and into the water, there was muddy, wet clay and the beach floor was slimy and muddy. I even saw a young boy lose his shoes in the wet clay! I would return to the campground and kayak the lake, but I wouldn't recommend the beach!  I'm fairly certain my grandson and I both ended up with some kind of bug bites after being there-we're both still itching!!  Yuck! There is another beach at Lake Red Rock and perhaps it is nicer/cleaner, but I would stay away from Whitebreast if you don't like your feet sliming in clay and mud!

Best little park

Great place to go tent camping, very clean and quiet. They sell firewood bundles for $5. Easy trails for the kids to go hiking and playing in the creek to cool off in the heat. There is even a pond for fishing that you can take a trail from the campsite to. 100% going to go back and camp again.

Ok

Some full hook ups, sites not very level, playground ok. Can hear shots from gun range next door. Dog park, pool, arcade. We have camped here a couple times, and stored our rig here for a while. Didn't find there was that much going on here to keep us busy. Not a lot of nature, no trails or biking accessible from campground.

It's fine

Like most Iowa state parks, no sewer or water hook ups at site. Not super level. Near red rock, but cannot see the lake from the campground, cannot access the bike trail directly from campground. Wooded area, no trails or anything special in the park. Showers flooded the bathroom and had to push the button every 30 seconds to keep the water going.

Around this area there are many Marion county campgrounds that have better sites and amenities.

Great views from the tent spots

Beautiful views from our campsite. No electricity in this part of the campground, but that also made it less crowded. Definitely coming back 👍

Not your typical RV site

Honey Creek resort run by the state of Iowa (not to be confused with Honey Creek State Park nearby) is not your typical camping spot. There is a resort hotel with an indoor waterpark, cabins for rent, and an RV Park. The hotel and the RV park are right on the lake. Rathbun is maybe the nicest lake in Iowa (I would say Okoboji, however that has become an overcrowded mess).

The RV sites: There are not many of them, 20 I think. But they are all paved, level, full hook ups, spacious, with a view of the lake. I don't even think we exchanged harsh words setting up it was so easy. ;)  There are even a couple sites on the side that have equipment for fall hunters. Trees around the RV area, but not in. Fire ring and picnic table. The boat ramp is at one end of the RV area, so people may drive through with boats. Playground a short walk away on a path, but not right in the RV area.

Indoor waterpark: Probably geared to the 4-10 crowd. Only one bigger slide, lazy river, hot tub, pool with some balance platforms and a rope and a basketball hoop. Then a small kiddie pool with a pirate ship structure with some small slides and some fountains. Not a ton to do, however when we were there it rained for an entire day so that was very handy. Snackbar that serves booze.

Lake: one of the biggest in the state, not too busy as it is 2 hours from Des Moines so not a lot of day traffic (unlike Saylorville and Red Rock). Boat rentals available.

Resort hotel: I haven't been in the guest rooms. There is a lobby, restaurant/bar. I have not eaten at the restaurant. There is a little shop with necessities and firewood. There is a nature program where you can check out backpacks for kids to explore nature. Grounds are nice and lush, paths for walking and biking. There's a golf course.

Family Favorite

I have been going to this campground for 40 some years. Great place to fish and have family time!

Little patch of heaven

We go camping at Breezy Bay and it’s our favorite. We tent camp, so the modern bathrooms (with showers!!) is a huge plus. The spots are some of the biggest we’ve seen at any campground, so there aren’t many and it’s almost always quiet. Lots of trees for shade but the lake has trails and a swimming beach with watercraft rentals. Truly a hidden gem in central Iowa!

Great place to camp, kayak, fish, and hike!

Spacious campground with clean facilities.  Some campsites are close to the lake.  Several hiking paths-Lakeshore Trail goes around the whole lake, so be sure to reserve 2-3 hours to conquer this path-more if you like to take in the scenery.  Quite a bit of wildlife seen during kayaking and hiking-muskrat, beaver, swans, geese could be found on the water. Also seen: deer, bald eagles, frogs, toads, turtles.  There were many that enjoyed fishing on the lake, as well. We spent our time hiking and kayaking, but fishing seemed pretty good for those partaking. Also has a nice beach!

Great park!

Lots or good fishing spots and great views! Reccomend going mid summer or fall to see everything

Went when I was a kid!

Remember camping here when I was a kid and having a blast! Miles of trails and great hang out areas around the lake and a great spot to go fishing!

Camping in town

This camp ground is smack dab in the middle of town. But once you're inside the campground surrounded by others it's hard to tell. You do hear quite a bit of traffic but depending on where your site is, you may not see it. I was disappointed when after years and years we were told we can no longer have a tent on your site with your camper. We would have to have our family members camp in a different part of the park.

Great view

Fills up fast on rv side but great views. 1st come 1 serve. Lots of sites on the water and plenty of tent sites. Decent fishing, lots of bluegill and some crappie.

Horse park

Good place to camp. Year round access. Close to Pella and Knoxville

Decent

Good place close to Pella and Knoxville. Some sites on Red Rock. Little pricey for not having full hookups. Overall good place.

Excellent

This is a beautiful state park with a very nicely laid-out campground. We always enjoy our visits to Red Haw.

Sites Available in December

Full service flat sites!!

Clean, big-rig friendly membership campground. Easy access to I-35/80.

Offers cabins, fishing pond, lots of weekend activities. Amenities include store, snack bar, indoor and outdoor pool, laundry, catch-and-release fishing pond, mini golf, and more.

Solid County Park with large sites and great hiking in the woods.

This is an update from my previous post now with pics and a little snow. This campground is a little off of the beaten path but it is quiet and has great hiking trails. It is also known locally for its effigy mounds where native american artifact were buried.

This is a great place if you like peace and quiet and local hiking trails.

5 mile Hike around the lake

This is a great State Park and a great campground. There are a lot of great trees to hang a hammock and if you have a camper or an RV there are great places to pull into. Most people think of the lake and they think of the canoeing and the swimming. Don't forget the great trails for hiking and some practice for backpacking around the lake. It is a good five mile loop and a ton of fun.

I also had a nice meal of Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef, Fresh Strawberries and Yogurt and some hot cocoa to top things off.

Very nice campground

Very nice campground with lake to fish and boat on. Has beach access also.

Nice location

nice Campground in the middle of town, close to stores and has nice walking trails. Has a pond to fish as well and across the street from the city park!

Relaxing in the beauty that is Iowa

Went in without a reservation. No problem. Pleasantly surprised to find out it's an Army Corps of Engineers park; meaning if you have a annual National Parks pass, you get a discount. Didn't know that. We paid $11 for a tent site. Lots of RV sites around. The whole area around Saylorville Lake has camping. Lush green plots of land everywhere. I forget how pretty it is in the Midwest when I'm gone for so long. Quiet, relaxing place. Friendly staff. We took a long walk through the campground and others nearby. Boating and swimming in the lake.

Iowa State Campgrounds

Incredible time! Great entertainment and clean place. It’s hard not to have a good time and amazing food.

Great little campground by a lake

Great spot by a small lake in Stephen's State Forest. Didn't have a soul around us for the night we camped here (late September). Temps were around 43 degrees at night. Fire pits have nice swinging grates on them. There was a picnic table at each spot as well. We were in Campsite 007. Would have given 5 stars but you will hear train horns blowing all night at this location.

Great Quiet Free Campground

We stayed two night at this campground. Arrived late and just filled out the registration form. They have fire pits and picnic tables. They also have two clean pit toilets. You can stay 14 days free I think. Quiet and had the place to ourselves. Maintained and they had patrol checking through at night. Highly recommend it.