Davenport, IOWA
Most Recent Davenport Camping Reviews
Great place to stay

Everyone was very friendly and really enjoyed our time while there. There was events going on even during rain. The Margarita bar was where bingo, bags tournament and band were at. Can’t say enough about owner Ron and everyone that worked there. Extremely helpful from time you pull in until time to leave. Highly recommend Timber Lake Resort

Great staff, awful bathrooms

I’d like to start by saying the staff is wonderful. They’re very friendly and kind.

However,  The bathrooms could really benefit by some simple tuneups. In order to run the shower, one must hold down a rusty slimy chain. The floors are also very porous, which would make them very difficult to clean (hence the filthy floors)

Also, there were some other campers playing loud music which was annoying. It was not bad enough for us to make a fuss (we only stayed one night), so I have no idea how that might have been handled by staff had the need arisen.

An unusual historic state park

Prophetstown is a park that has a great deal of history about the Battle of Tippecanoe which happened on November 7th, 1811.  It was a conflict between a coalition of 14 tribes and 1,200 troops.  The indians lost and moved on to Wildcat Creek.  The park has replicas of both the indian village and the white settlement of white settlements. There are excellent bike paths and wonderful explanation of the geology of the park.  The campsites are electricity and full hookup.

NO Camping

This is a beautiful park in the middle of Davenport but there is no camping.

Tent camped for 5 days

Awesome place by the Iowa river.. clean and quiet, no drinking water…

Plenty to do

Our site was at Indian Meadows and it is large enough to fit my big 8-person tent, a picnic table, my truck, and all our other stuff with room to spare. The sites are very close to each other. The sites at Riverview and Silva both seemed smaller. The Riverview sites had great shade and a breeze coming off of the Mississippi river but had very little privacy. Each site at Indian Meadows and Silva are surrounded by a wall of trees. Our site had a picnic table and a fire pit with a swing over grill. There was no trash can, though. My plan was to collect the garbage then walk it to the trash point, a dumpster up the road. Unfortunately, while we were at the shower house raccoons got into it. I was better prepared the second day. Just remember to bring trash bags and dispose of your trash often, the raccoons out there are brave. The Loud Thunder office is top-notch. They sell a few necessities like batteries, firewood, ice, and stuff for s’mores. Service was incredibly helpful and nice.

At the center of Loud Thunder is Lake George. Lake George is a boon for kayakers and anglers. For us, it was the highlight of the trip. Loud Thunder rents kayaks, john boats, pontoons, and mini-pontoons. I had never heard of a mini-pontoon prior to this trip; they are amazing and now I want one. For 30 dollars we navigated the lake for two hours. My son loved steering the boat. Even though we were in the sun there was a nice breeze. We could have easily spent another two hours on that lake.

There are also plenty of trails for horses, bikes, and hiking.  The trail we went on started as a wide gravel path then narrowed to a single-track dirt path.  It had one hard climb.  The trail was very nice and led to some great views.

Read about my adventure at https://www.lost13.com/camping/2019/7/26/loud-thunder

Nice hiking, right on river

This campground was a nice new campers test. The site was flat and there was some hiking and we definitely took advantage of being able to walk down to the park by the river. The river was separated from the campground by a major road which was a shame and I felt like more could be done so people can enjoy the riverside.

There was a nice firepit and it was a peaceful area.

I wouldn't come back here again just because I feel we saw everything there was to see. But it was great for a weekend!

Very big campsites

Very big campsites, sites where more like a rainbow then flat but more then enough space to back up. Plenty of shade very friendly

Very Nice

I booked a full hookup daily site but they accidentally put me on a seasonal site l. It was on the pond, very quiet and away from a lot of the activities…which was fine for me. The regular sites look nice as well. Lots to do…pool, mini-gold, volleyball, etc. Only a 30 minute drive to Davenport. The only down side of my site was a ton of goose poop…it was hard to walk the dogs with so much to tempt them.

Great place

We just got home from our first visit @ morrison rockwood park and it was fun. We had site 57 which is in a loop which goes around a playground. It was great for the kids who could go play and the sites in this loop provide plenty of space and privacy. We used only our camper for the amenities so i cant comment on the bathrooms or shower houses but they looked nice. Paved roads so was good for bike riding and plenty of access to the lake for fishing.

Nice place

$15 a night, electric only. Well maintained though.

Great place!

Way more than we expected! A pool, play set, fishing, game room, great rates, and above all; a fantastic family running the place. They were so kind and helpful. We can’t wait to come back!

Decent

Friendly staff. Only stayed one night. Sites were decent sized. Bathrooms needed refurbished But had good hot water The grass had just been cut and the bugs were awful. Suggest they keep grass cut more often.

Nice and quiet.

We were in a tent spot with power, on a somewhat level pad, with a great view of the lake. There were few people there. As with most municipal parks (my experience), facilities are mediocre. It was long walk to the bathroom, and the showers were hot, but not very private. Personnel were very friendly. It was raining, so didn't get to take advantage of all they have to offer. City wifi was free, reliable, but slow from our site.

Friendly, Accommodating, Quiet, very clean

Very friendly owners, nice little town , the campground has “The Best” gift shop.

A wonderful experience camping here !!!

Private family owned

Beautiful private family owned campground. New owners around last year, very accommodating. Nice small town atmosphere. Almost all sites are 50 amp pull through. Level gravel. Full hookups. Borders a long canal that has a very nice bike trails for miles. Plenty of shade. Highly recommend this campground. The owners make it an enjoyable experience. Directly easy access off route 80.

Beware of low bridge in town. Follow campground signs off exit or you will chop off your a/c if you have a fifth wheel.

Interesting place

It a little island in the Mississippi River. The sites are decent sized. The spaces on the river are backwards, seems to me the curbside should be facing the water. There is a nonstop parade of trucks and boats at the attached boat launch. At first it’s entertaining, but by the second day, the jacked up diesel pickups with ridiculous exhaust launching and retrieving boats gets old. There had been flooding just prior to us camping there and the insect hatch was amazing. Then the cottonwood trees exploded their “snow storm”. Made it hard to eat outside. The place is cleanish and adequately staffed. The dump station is useless for black tank clean out connections. The water hose threads had been purposely removed. Probably won’t go back.

COE campground

This is a tidy COE Park right on the Mississippi River. Electric only. Very nice new dump station with a lot of spaces. The sites are spacious but a little tight to back in. Pit toilets in the loops and flush toilets and showers in central locations. Overall a decent place to relax. If there has been a lot of rain, or the River has been up a little, there will be an insect problem. There are biting flies that do not care if you are wearing repellant.

Nice county park.

Sadly lost many ash trees, but still has some shade. Decent shower restroom building. Campground flat with electric, water and sewer at sites. Very reasonable rates. Open year around.Park has five small lakes for fishing and boating, easy hiking trails and a tough disc golf course. Quiet nice place

Very nice

Camp sites are clean and we'll spaced

Very clean, affordable, camping sites are nicely spaced.

Mississippi River access, playgrounds for the kids, shelter house

Ranger Review: Rom Pack at Langwood Education Center

Campground Review:

Surrounded by hardwood forests and native prairie, Langwood Education Center, located in rural Wapello, Iowa is the perfect spot for nature retreats, family gatherings, outdoor education classes, and more.

With rates starting as low as $99 per day/$194 per overnight for up to 100 people, Langwood provides a quiet and serene setting for camping, hiking, canoeing, and reconnecting with nature.

There is plenty of space for individual tents, as well as 5 electrical hookups for RVs for $10 per night per RV. An A-frame bunkhouse is also available. The bunkhouse is a split level with a total of 21 single beds on the first and second level. Campers will need to bring their own bedding. While Langwood is open through the winter months, water is shut off, so campers will need to bring their own water supply. Check in time is after 1:00pm and check out time is 11:00am.

Campfire rings and outdoor picnic tables are available. Langwood’s 92 acres houses a lodge with a full kitchen, and ample seating including tables and chairs. There is a separate, modern restroom within short walking distance of the bunkhouse and lodge.

For an additional fee, campers can use the ropes course located by a large pond on the property. Six canoes are also on site for use. There is no additional fee for the canoes, but a waiver must be signed in order to use them.

For the women's outdoor retreat weekend I attended, I chose to bring my tent and camp out rather than utilize the bunk house. The area for tent camping is quite large with a variety of shade trees, and offers a fair amount of privacy.

With hiking trails throughout the property, the woods offer prime area to see migratory birds such as kingfishers, herons, and a multitude of warblers. At night, great horned and barred owls can be heard calling back and forth.

Langwood provides quiet walks through Iowa prairies and clear, star-gazing nights. This spot is perfect for larger gatherings, offering privacy and a quiet space away from the busyness of everyday life.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. This time around I had the opportunity to test out the three-in-one RōM Pack from RōM Outdoors. https://romoutdoors.com/product/rom-pack/

I’m always up for giving a new backpack a try. I was really interested to see how the RoM Pack compared to my other daypacks and backpack. The RoM Pack is unique as it offers a twist on the traditional pack; a three-in-one pack, blanket, rain poncho combo.

I took the RoM pack with me on the recent women’s outdoor retreat at Langwood Education Center. It seemed like the perfect weekend to test out the versatility of this pack. From prairie seed collection, to orienteering, to night hikes, the pack offered something useful throughout the retreat. The pack includes two detachable, smaller saddlebags; great for throwing a water bottle and snacks in for the prairie seed collection hike.

Between sessions, we had the opportunity to wander the grounds and take time to relax. This presented the perfect opportunity to break the pack down and try out the blanket. It was a cool autumn day, and lounging in the sun was a nice reprieve from the busy morning activities.

While it didn’t rain during my stay, I did decide to try on the poncho to see how it fit. It was a little bulky, but would definitely help repel rain. It was easy enough to take off and flip back over to blanket mode.The outer material is meant to resist water, so whether you’re wearing it at as a poncho or using it as a blanket, you’ll stay dry. Another plus is the removable stuff sack located inside the pack. I used it specifically to store my dirty clothes from the first day of the retreat.

The pack itself is made of a durable, water resistant material, and includes two mesh side pockets good for stowing water bottles, and bug spray. While the pack is slightly heavier than my other daypacks, 4.6 lbs, I would consider using it for shorter day hikes, but will get the most use out of it to store and carry clothes and gear on camping and fishing trips. I’m also a shorter individual, so the pack was a little big on me. I was able to adjust the straps enough to get a fairly secure fit.

The RoM Pack also comes with a small booklet with step by step directions on how to put the pack back together after breaking it down. The booklet also includes information on identifying poison ivy, oak, and sumac as well as different ways to build a campfire; a nice addition to the pack itself.

Adventurous

We stayed at this campground for two nights and had a phenomenal experience the whole time we were there! It is a beautiful state park/campground about 20 minutes outside of Maquoketa (so if you forget or need something you can run into town and get it). The bathrooms were very clean and well-maintained throughout our stay. This state park is definitely for those who enjoy hiking and adventures as within the state park is a system of 11 or 12 caves that are connected via pathways and you can even walk or crawl through and explore some of them! We had an absolutely amazing experience and hope to visit again soon!

Good view

We went August,nice view but there is not much to do.Is more familly campground

RV and tent camping

Mainly an rv Park campground but they do have tent and cabin camping. Access to a lake with paddle boats and kayaks available. Swimming pool and a great camp store.

Camping and Rock Climbing in the Midwest

My wife and I tent camped here last weekend… the tent sites are relatively close together leaving little room to feel secluded but nice flat ground and each site has its own fire pit. restrooms and showers 1/8 mile walk away which isn’t bad! Not the best but also not the worst. We try and here whenever we rock climb in the area as it allows us to get to the climbing sites earlier.

Nice County campground, well maintained

Wooded sites, clean, wildlife, trails, shelter, and cabins available. Pool, Pioneer Village, gold course, Pride Lake, fishing, bike & horse trails.

Nice open campground along woods

Sites are well maintained with grassy pads. Near gold course, host at campground is helpful. Trails, wildlife, historical pioneer village near by, swimming [pool also.

Older campground along Mississippi River backwaters

Primitive tent site, fire ring/grill, cheap stay. has small camp store and newer nature center, canoe/kayak rentals, shower house, wood for fee. Can be very buggy depending on season, right along backwaters, good fishing, wildlife viewing. Has a pontoon for tours.