Standard (Tent/RV)
No 50 amp Hookups
Max Length: 45 ft.
Maquoketa Caves is located in Iowa
22 Reviews of Maquoketa Caves
Stroll through the bat village

Maquoketa Cave State Park , Maquoketo, Iowa

We stopped here for two days on our “Westward Ho” road trip in mid August 2020. Temperatures 80’s in the day to 60’s overnight.

I am not highly familiar with Iowa, I will admit however I AM extremely amazed at this little unique Park in the middle of farmland Iowa. Most of the trip here was driving between fields of corn as far as the eye could see (we came through Illinois).

The town of the same first name is small but the necessities can be had. Found a small shop with local meat, honey and yummies. The drive to the park was pretty straight forward with signage along the way.

This is a very basic park, no lake, no added attractions just trails , picnicking and a small , quiet (well…. I had a family directly across with very talkative, argumentative, sometimes loud children, …luck of the draw ;) and well shaded, electric sites. I like the spacing, privacy and shade. There are several water hydrants throughout the campground to use. A shower house that I will be visiting soon. Firewood on site, with donation box.

You probably don’t want sites 1 or 2, they are directly across from the dump site. The plus is they are directly across from the playground , picnic area and trail access.

Trail access is a short walk across the shelter/ picnic area. As of right now Officially the caves are closed. I saw several hikers not being official though.

The trails have sign posts and the map in a VERY general way gives you some idea as to where you are at BUT there are trails criss crossing everywhere so make sure you have your map tracker on. The trails/scenery are AMAZING! LOVED IT! Needs some maintenance (ie, downed trees) but they may have limited staffing right now. I would suggest a visit even if you only have a few hours. Once they reopen the caves I will absolutely be back.

Decent walkin campsite, caves awesome!

The campground here was quiet during the week and small in general which we like! There are a few walk-in sites that are accessible by walking down a path about 150-200 ft. Wish it had been a little farther back away from the parking lot and other sites but i think we always wish that. Decent privacy with only a few other campsites back in that same area of wood so that was nice.

The caves were unexpectedly super cool! Neither my husband nor I had ever gone. We weren’t expecting much but wow! Lots to see in a small area. The hike didn’t take too long around and many of the caves were closed (probably due to COVID) but we kindve stuck our heads halfway in and WOw. We want to come back when they’re are more opened. I bet it’s super busy on weekends. Probably would avoid that. There was other hiking to do away from the caves but we didn’t venture too far as it was quite hot and we were running low on water. There’s a little stream that runs kindve out into the prairie lands on one side and we stopped to stick our feet in. Highly recommend that.

Over all, lovely few days out in the woods. We would visit again!

Nice stop for a trip west

Nice campground, not crowded and great hike to caves. Trails map not very good. Caves closed but could still see where they were. Deer on the trail. Bathrooms decent.

Surprised

Camping during Covid

Caves were closed but we had a great time hiking the trails. Very clean campground. Plenty of wood for campfires, just had a donation box. Electric campsites have plenty of shade. The ground is gravel, which my dog hated. Next time we plan to try the primitive sites. First time camping at an Iowa state park and we were impressed!

Wished I lived close to here

Went an hour each way off our route home to stay here. We fell in love with it. Loved the setting, how quiet it was, spaces level, nice showers, etc etc. We enjoyed hiking the trails and seeing what we could of the caves since they were closed. Unfortunately didn’t see the camp host but we weren’t in need of anything. The price is perfect especially for what you get. If we lived close it would be a regular place for us to camp!!

Beautiful campground, good sites

This is a great weekend stay, with short trails that show some beautiful and unusual scenery for central Iowa. The natural bridge is incredible, and the sites are well spaced out. None of the sites have water, but they do have electricity. If you can forgo electricity and don’t mind a 50yd walk, the walk in sites are enclosed in beautiful groves of trees. Showers and flush toilets available and clean.

Adventurous

We stayed at this campground for two nights and had a phenomenal experience the whole time we were there! It is a beautiful state park/campground about 20 minutes outside of Maquoketa (so if you forget or need something you can run into town and get it). The bathrooms were very clean and well-maintained throughout our stay. This state park is definitely for those who enjoy hiking and adventures as within the state park is a system of 11 or 12 caves that are connected via pathways and you can even walk or crawl through and explore some of them! We had an absolutely amazing experience and hope to visit again soon!

Great hiking and caving campground

Enjoyed the trails and many caves to explore! Mature forests and wildflowers.

Maquoketa Caves is a must visit destination for camping! There are several factors to take into consideration when planning a trip here; due to concerns for wildlife (primarily bats) the caves close frequently, check the park website for details about when they will be open and respect the closures when they occur. In addition, be sure to clean your shoes before and after visiting the park to prevent spreading potentially dangerous fungus to the caves. Overall, the cave network is stunning and a great place for group camping! There are caves for everyone, whether you're claustrophobic and don't want to be in tight spaces or you're willing you army crawl for 1/4 mile. The rangers in the campground can be strict and will mandate that you have only one "camping unit" per site, aka tent, even though the website says sites can hold up to six people. They do check on sites regularly so trying to sneak extra people in isn't a great idea. Even with the cave closures and the strict rules for camping I still go every year, hope to see you there!

Year 2021 Flag