Dubuque, IOWA
Most Recent Dubuque Camping Reviews
Camping for years hands down the best for hiking & exploring

This is my favorite place to camp, two lakes to canoe or paddle boat on. Beautiful waterfall, awesome hiking. The campsite are wooded and more private than many places I have been. October November less people no bugs and beautiful fall foliage, plus a fire feels good that time of year. Highly recommend!

Best campground ever!

Our kids had more fun at this campground than any other so far. They have the most amazing playgrounds (yes, two of them!) That we've ever seen. There were activities for kids of all ages, and they used a rubber composite on the ground at the playground so when kiddos fall, they aren't injured. There is also a beautiful walking/biking trail and canoe rentals.

The sites were extremely level and clean, electric and water hookups. The camp host was very friendly and had plenty of firewood and ice in stock.

Beautiful park

Great hike trails, beautiful scenery, nice town short bike ride away. I had a great trip even though it was cool and rainy. Wish there was a river view from camp sites. Shower was clean but did not get above warm.

Spectacular Views!

On top of the bluffs looking over the Mississippi River, this campground offers everything you need.  Plentiful showers and bathrooms, amazing views, canoe rentals, and most importantly…….RECYCLING.  I have been there 3 times and will definitely go back again.

Great place to stay

Everyone was very friendly and really enjoyed our time while there. There was events going on even during rain. The Margarita bar was where bingo, bags tournament and band were at. Can’t say enough about owner Ron and everyone that worked there. Extremely helpful from time you pull in until time to leave. Highly recommend Timber Lake Resort

Beautiful walk-in campsite, great trails

I stayed here for two nights in September. Site 271 was just enough of a walk to feel remote but not so far that I couldn't carry all my stuff. I did have to walk quite close to one of the other walk-in campsites when going to my car, however, so know that if there are other people in the sites nearby, you will see them. The sites close to the road are not private at all. Water is available at drinking fountains/spigots around the campsite. One I tried had barely a trickle but the other one had plenty of water pressure. The bathhouse was fairly clean and had hot showers, which was great after a 10-mile hike one day. I hammock camp, so getting a site with good trees for hammocking is important to me. I appreciated the preview photos on the state's reservation system. The site I picked had lots of great options for hammock hanging!

The trails at Governor Dodge are amazing. I left on foot from my campsite and hiked the Meadow Valley, Lost Canyon, Stephens Falls and Goldmine trails. Lost Canyon was BEAUTIFUL and had so many interesting geographical features. The trails behind the hike-in campsites also lead to some cliffs with some really amazing views.

Activities yes, nature-less

We had the campsite right across from the pool and the tiki bar. The site was easy to get into with help from the friendly staff. We were surprised to have a bar right outside our campsite, but with an RV running the fan all night the noise didn't bother us at all. This campground is great if you want to watch football Saturday morning with a bloody Mary in hand, and like kids activities like bingo. There was also a very good CCR cover band playing, so my kid felt like she was at a real rock concert. Pool was kept open late in September because it was warm. Overall we really enjoyed our time there. It's a great place for socializing. If you're looking for peace and quiet and natural beauty, this is not the place. We would go back for Sure- level campsite, friendly staff that let us stay late when we had a flat tire and waiting for tow, and overall experience. Easy full hook ups made it a very fun experience with lots of full timers there.

One of our favorites

We spend quite a bit of time here. We hunt here and camp here year round. Tons of forest with cross country, equestrian, and hiking trails. One of the best lakes in Wisconsin for fishing along with a nice beach, and pet area. There is a free gun range. Hunt anything from pheasent to deer. There is also a nice bar and grill just down the street. Along with dairy bar as part of the park. Showers and bathrooms are always clean.

Breathtaking views

Clean and organized camping. Quiet and everyone was respectful.

Vel Terra on oasis outside of major tourist destination in Illinois

Galena Illinois is a major tourist spot for Chicago folks to get away too. This camp site is 20 min from Galena 5 min from Elizabeth and 15 min from Apple Canyon. Has both RV and Tent sites. Fire pits and picnic tables are at each site. They porta John at the one end of camp is unbelievably clean! The bathrooms and showers at the other end of camp are also very very clean. Jeff the owner left a lovely note inviting me to pick my spot as I was the only tent/car camper that night even though I had reserved spot 12. He also pointed out that there were some walking trails but to be wary of a poisonous plant.
The grounds are impeccably kept. He provides wood for you to burn. Give this place a try for a nice weekend get away from the city. There is so much to do in the area but if note Apple canyon has some really nice hiking trails they label from easy to rugged. There is also plenary of kayaking and other neat outdoor things to do. Add in there are several winery’s and great restaurants if you don’t want to cook fireside!

Nice campground, near river, also near noisy train

Overall nice campground. Hosts are friendly and I saw rangers driving through multiple times. Each site includes picnic table and fire pit. Most have electric.

The toilets in the back part by the electric campsites are pit toilets. Flush toilets, sink, and showers up by the check in area. There’s a playground for kids.

Sites by the river don’t have much shade. Sites by the tracks are the most “wooded” but also right near the trains. Trains are noisy—we slept through them but are also used to living by a train station. Your mileage may vary on that one.

We (tent campers) had site 24. It’s the last site in that part of the driveway and I recommend it because you have a lot of open space to one side plus not far from water or bathrooms. The most wooded sites are at the end farthest away from the entrance but tent campers should know there are a lot of RVs down there usually.

We used this as a stop over on a longer road trip. If you like boating or fishing this is probably a good fit. Galena and Dubuque are not far. Overall not a lot of hiking or activities in the immediate area though. Good option for an overnight.

As a note, we have ATT and had decent cell service here.

Beautiful View of the Mississippi River

The site we chose (41) was set back from the road a bit, and the tall ground cover provides some privacy. However, the main road to the campground and picnic area runs behind the site and can get busy during the day.

The firewood onsite is reasonably priced and stored in a shed, so it's dry as can be. Dont pick up wood in Cassville… it's low quality and was damp the day we visited.

The flush toilets and showers were clean, and the showers have been recently remodeled. The showers are free, too, which was a welcome change over the campgrounds we've visited in the past.

The most unexpected and negative thing about this campground was the nearby trains. There are trains running nearby with blaring horns 24 hours a day. Train horns nearly on the half-hour did not make for a restful night.

The views of the Mississippi are incredible, and the park is well-maintained, but I would honestly recommend this as a day trip stop rather than a campground.

Beauty on the Bluff

Wyalusing State Park is a lovely, peaceful park and camp ground perched on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi and Wisconsin rivers. The camping facilities when we visited were accessible, clean, and well maintained. There are campsites that hug the edge of the bluff and offer stunning views of the Mississippi and river valley below, and sites offer both electric and non-electric options. While there are no swimming pools or structured activities for families while we visited (early August during the week) there were plenty of accessible trails, a playground, canoe/kayak rental and launch site, and tennis courts/sand pits, etc. The bathrooms and showering facilities were very clean. There is a small store that sells concessions, firewood and ice, and even sold us a single stick of butter when we needed some for our cookout.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL campground!!

NO Camping

This is a beautiful park in the middle of Davenport but there is no camping.

Solitude and not much else

This campground also goes by the name of Holbert. Small campground but free with a handful of picnic tables and campfires. The vault toilets were cleanish, thou older. This campground is next to a pretty little creek that you can play and fish in. The campground is really just a series of campsites strung out along the creek and road. It was pretty quiet while I was there, not many campers at all. There are no hookups for RV’s/campers so it is primarily tent camping or dry camping. There is an interesting story about how this camping area has come to be: the land was donated by Ella Ellis in memory of her husband William Ellis. They apparently loved the land and wanted to make sure it was never developed and could be enjoyed by all. A lovely story.

Nice hiking, right on river

This campground was a nice new campers test. The site was flat and there was some hiking and we definitely took advantage of being able to walk down to the park by the river. The river was separated from the campground by a major road which was a shame and I felt like more could be done so people can enjoy the riverside.

There was a nice firepit and it was a peaceful area.

I wouldn't come back here again just because I feel we saw everything there was to see. But it was great for a weekend!

Quiet, dog-friendly campground with trails, lakes, and beautiful sunsets

Yellowstone Lake State Park was a last-minute weekend destination for a few friends and I. We live in nearby Madison, WI and were looking for something within an hour of the city for single night stay. Yellowstone Lake is the perfect spot as it's clean, quiet, and has a number of outdoor activities to do within the grounds.

Fishing, ATV trails, Snowmobile trails, dog trails, off-leash dog beach, and a good beach for people round out a really nice weekend. Pair that with summer concerts and a wide array of spot types, everyone can enjoy a weekend trip to Yellowstone Lake.

We stopped in the administration building and picked up a trail map and did over 3 miles of easy hiking and could have extended it if we pleased. We stopped halfway at the off-leash dog beach with our puppies and continued the journey.

Campers were all pleasant and kept noise to a minimum.

We stayed at the Walk-In tent sites which had a great view of the lake / sunset only a few feet away (these were not on the water, but higher over looking the water).

Well kept with good fishing

Went when it was 110 degrees with humidity. Campsites right next to the pond and good tree cover made the experience fun anyway. Good bass and panfish fishing with quiet campgrounds that aren’t right next to each other. I consider it a little hidden gem

Wisconsin Country

We stayed here to visit friends in rural Wisconsin. This is a wonderful location for just relaxing or doing things in Dubuque. The views are pastoral…rolling Wisconsin bluffs and farms. We stayed in site 25 which was on an end, had great views, a concrete patio with table and chairs, and was level. Not all sites had the patio nor were level. There is road noise from the highway which is a few (3) blocks away but after the first night we didn’t notice it as much. Shower house was immaculate with large hard stalled showers/changing room. Nice rec room with TV, games, books, soft seating, pinball, ping pong, and pool table. Outdoor games set-up on the grass like Cornhole, croquet, etc. The store had firewood, ice, but grocery type items were very limited.

Great place

This is a very clean and quiet campground with excellent trails and very clean bathrooms

Excellent place to camp

Very nice park. Quiet and clean.

Inner city camping

The campsite was in the middle of the neighborhood but was very convenient if the river was too high for camping on the sandbars weren’t available. Hook ups for electrical if needed and restrooms and showers. Perfect setup if dropped upstream for your river trip.

Amazing

Great place to go tubing and kayaking. Great showers.

Beautiful Views

Some of the spots are a little uneven. Bring some leveling devices. This a very peaceful campground. Fire rings are on cement. Can find fire starters everywhere. No bugs in the 1st of June when we were there. Will plan on going back for sure. Reserve your spots cuz they go fast. If you love a great view and the smell of the outdoors this is your place!

Great place to stay

Nice sites. Bathrooms clean!

A very decent state park

2 camping areas, Homestead and Wisconsin Ridge.

Homestead provides secluded, wooded sites with a good distance between them.

Ridge sites have the veiw from high over the Wisconsin River. That view will cost you though: the sites are are very close to each other with little vegatative separation.

There are many burial mounds in the park, and there is an astronomical observatory on site. The only water access that we found was a boat landing on the Mississippi side. High water prevented us from exploring it much.

Nice city park camping

This was a great surprise in a pretty little town. The campground is across the river from Elkader, up on a rise. The campground is next to the city pool and history museum, which has great exhibits and a few historic train cars to explore. The campground has hookups for RVs primarily, with a few tent sites in a grassy area next to the road. However, you can easily just get a site with hookups to be further away from the road (the sites in the middle seem to have better hammock trees, too). None of the sites have any privacy, but all have picnic tables and fire rings. The shower house is like a bunker house- seriously, it is the tornado shelter for the park and campground! It’s super clean and large, with separate toilets, showers, and changing rooms. FREE firewood!! They even provide a couple of wheelbarrows for you to haul firewood to your site. In town there is an access point for kayakers who want to play in the river at the rapids, as well as access for fishing. There is a GREAT bakery on the main corner in town- this is THE place to buy your hamburger buns (one of their biggest sellers). There is a nice cornerstone bridge crossing the river that you can walk across to view the spillway.

Turkey River fun and history too

This campground is on the Turkey River in an open field. There are a handful of picnic tables and fire pits scattered around, and there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to sites, although there is a pay station with “sites” noted. The best sites are on the back edge, up against the woods where you can have some tree cover and possibly hang a hammock. If you are out in the main field, there are very few trees and no suitable hammock trees. There are NO hookups for campers/RVs. This is a primarily tent campground. Things get kinda rowdy on the weekends; it seems this is a party campground for all the river rats who come to play in the river. Across from the camping area is river access for boats, fishing, and kayaking. There is a really neat historical Mill building that is open a few hours a week for tours (not while I was there) as well as an amazing old bridge with a wood plank roadbed that you can still drive across. I found the bridge construction pretty amazing and wish I was there on a weekend instead of during the week as I would have loved to tour the old Mill. As it was I was still able to walk the grounds (NOT suggested at night due to uneven ground) and imagine how this little community would have functioned long ago.

Backwater river access!

As others have mentioned, there are two campgrounds at Wyalusing State Park. We stayed in the ridge campground which sites are first come, first serve. Some of the best sites are booked solid from spring-fall so arrive on time! The sites on the ridge offer some of the best views you can get from a campground on the western side of the state. They do not offer as much privacy and they are a little smaller. If you are more interested in privacy, check out the Homestead campground (the other campground at Wyalusing). The Homestead campground is wooden and more secluded. Also, the showers are there!

Plenty to do for activities. Great hiking and kayaking here! There's a canoe trail with backwater access of the Mississippi. Bring your kayak or rent a canoe!!