Raleigh , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Raleigh Camping Reviews
Beautiful secluded spot. Careful if wet.

Beautiful location. Definitely off the beaten path. There was another group of campers but they camped on the trail. Grave Road getting there was a bit rough for my Ram Promaster. Hill down to trail head could get slick if wet weather. Was alittle nervous getting out after it had rained. But luckily it wasn't to much rain. Definitely coming back when warmer.

Quiet

Lake mauzy is very quiet. No hookups but if you want to boondocks this is a great place.

Great for all kinds, except weekenders

RVs, tents, hammocks, teardrops, and camper vans are all great here.

Just be warned that there aren't many lots and they fill up fast, especially Friday through Sunday, especially in the autumn as the leaves are changing.

And if it's unseasonably warm in October, don't bother coming out. Dayhikers clutter the parking spots so badly overnighters risk car accidents trying to get in or out. Lots of kids and Karens.

Great alternative

Motorcycle camping across America and I wanted to see grades of the gods. What I didn’t want was to camp on top of someone else … Garden of the Gods camp was, in a word, awful. Cadiz was spacious, quiet, and the other campers wanted to camp not party. Stayed an extra day because of it

Nice location

A park on the outskirts of Evansville Indiana. Has many things to do for the weekend. Many nearby attractions and activities. They have primitive tent sites RV sites with E&W,some also have sewer. Stay the weekend or up to 3 months or longer.

Basic campsite in a great location

Basic car camping campsites with a picnic table, fire ring and a food pole at each site. The sites were clean the night I was there but the water seems to have been already turned off for the season (late October). There are vault style outhouses and an honor system check in box $15/night. The best part of this campsite is it’s a 5-10 minute walk to main trail/recreation area as well as the various other trails in the area.

Nice secluded spot

Was able to find the camping right away. There was one other group set up. Nice roomy sites with fire rings. After setting up I took a great hike on the nearby trails connected to Jackson falls. Some wonderful hiking and an abundance of climbing! I did some free climbing on small boulders and managed to climb my way back to the top of the gorge. Upon returning i noticed the other camp had left the grounds to myself. Rain came over night and eventually forced my hand to leave the next day and dry out. Definitely going back. Careful with the rain, the camp is right on the stream so I woke to being surrounded by streams. The path out is also very steep. I was able to handle it with a small car but any more mud or rain I would have been stuck. good luck!

Majestic Landscape of Geological Formations

This place really is "Of the Gods".  The Geological formations are very majestic.  It is so different from the rest of the state of IL.  AMAZING place to visit.

Please be careful if you bring children or those that like to wander.  It is can be dangerous if one goes without caution.  I'm pretty sure this is the kind of place where the phrase "slipped through the cracks" was coined.  There are many cracks and various rocks that someone can slip on or through or fall off of, so be careful.

Some of the most incredible scenery ever and the trails allow access to everything.  I am ready to go back, it is so beautiful.

Pretty Crowded

Try to come as early as possible to make sure you get a good spot.

Beautiful and Secluded

Red Bud Campground Shawnee National Forest Bell Smith Springs Recreational Area Harrisburg, IL

Red Bud Campground is a secluded heavily tree covered campground perfect for tent and RV Camping. This campground can accommodate up to a 34ft RV Pull Behind RV and small motorhomes. Be careful if you are going to try this campground in a motorhome as it can be tight to turn into some spots. If possible you may want to scout the area first before going.

There is no amenities at the sights so if you are RV camping you will need to bring your own power and water for your sight but there is a place to fill your drinking water. There are several restrooms on sight and I didn’t see a dump station for RV’s however I imagine you can empty your cassette toilets in the restrooms.

As far as internet I have AT&T and I had internet up until I arrived. Once in place there was no internet access.
Intermittently I would get one bar but it was not enough of a signal to be of any use. I can’t comment to the service areas of T-Mobile or other providers. At any rate you should bring something to read for the evenings or just enjoy the evening with a group of friends.

Quiet time is from 10pm to 6am so if you are packing solar for your power you will be good to go because it’s quiet.
If you are RV’ing it be sure to conserve your power.

The area is quiet and I camped with a tow behind 22ft RV when I went on October 23rd, 2020. At that time there were a lot of campers. This sight seems most popular and well suited for tent campers and I was only one of 2 RV campers that weekend.

There is a short 5 minute walk to the Bell Smith Springs if you are up for a great hike.
If you have dogs they will need to be on a leash.

Overall I loved this area and can’t wait to go again!

37.520880, -88.656546