The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Humboldt , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Humboldt Camping Reviews
Beautiful/Quiet during week!

We stopped in to Wolf Creek State Park later in the day on a Wednesday after trying to stop at a different campground that was closed. We were worried about finding a spot as the sun was going down so we called even though no one usually answers phones at state parks (esp during COVID). The woman that answered was SO nice and I was so happy to hear a voice on the other end. So that’s a huge plus. You can reserve spots online in advance but clearly we did not because we didn’t know we’d be headed there. Same day is first come first serve. We are tent people and love primitive camping in spots where we can really be away from everyone and at least pretend like we’re alone. Rolling in in the dark, we weren’t motivated to checkout the walk-in campsites. And it wasn’t necessary because the area - which if full would’ve been pretty cramped for our taste- was absolutely empty. So we were happy. Many many spots for RVs all next to one another but there was tree cover for some and the possibility of a little bit of privacy but not much in that area.

We had an almost full moon, but otherwise I think the stars would’ve been pretty awesome. The next morning we woke up and took a little hike down to Shelby Resevoir to see what was around. We were at campsite 18 and it was about 10 min hike down over there. Beautiful and big! Maybe good swimming I would assume? Too late in the year for us.

We will definitely be back to checkout more of the primitive/walk-in/hike in sites! Hiking trails look interesting and fun and Eagle Creek State Park is just across the water (that’s the bigger one). The 4 stars was because the sites are pretty close together which- even with RVs- I think people mind- but maybe not? We love to be back in the woods ans I do think there is an option for that. We just didn’t have time to check it out. Will update!

Clean campground

Clean campground but camping proximity is very close.

Keeping it basic (Primitive nonelectric site)

Have to walk to the site but if you want nonelectric/ primitive that’s what you get. Water pump at either side of the entry. Some outhouses available. Trails close as well as fishing areas. Large sites for camping. Deer and wildlife seen in the mornings. Really nice way to get off the grid for a second without having to go too far.

Very nice state park

Nice big spots. 30 and 50 amp available. Right on lake Shelbyville. 309 spots 141 are reservable

Our favorite so far

The spots for RVs are HUGE. The roads and nice and wide and the views are beautiful. The weather was not nice to us during our stay, but we still got to get out on the lake and canoe (Kickapoo adventures). We also took a short hike when it wasn’t raining and really enjoyed it. This park has a lot more to offer than what we were able to do. I saw playgrounds, corn hole, fishing spots galore, bike trails, etc. I didn’t see anywhere to swim, which was disappointing. Overall though it was a great visit. We’ll definitely be back!

Great place!

I’ve been camping at Kickapoo for 5 years and I love it. The campground hosts at the entrance are kind and helpful and the campgrounds have been undergoing improvements making it even more enjoyable.

basic

We stayed at this campground for two nights. It was very flat, there were ponds to go fishing. access was easy. Water was available on the grounds. The toilets were pit toilets. I really enjoyed the campground mostly because there were lots of empty sites. I suspect in the spring it get flooded but it was fine on the time we stayed.

Peaceful

Beautiful campground and park. Campsites are very roomy.

Quiet place

Nice park, spacious sites, bring plenty of water hose. The water faucets for fill up can be a bit far away.. Shower house was older but was heated and water was hot.. Definately will be back again.

Primitive and Beautiful

Even the way here was fabulous!  If you love nature and don’t need electricity to have a good time…this place is awesome.  Nice playground and pavilion too!