Camping in Ellis

70 Reviews of 13 Ellis, Illinois Campgrounds

C
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2021

Nice and clean!

We stayed at a full hookup spot nice shade and well kept grass. Went kayaking which is nice and I’m sure canoeing would be to. Showers are kept and open and the stall locks.

Month of VisitOctober
CThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2021

Great place for a local getaway

Great local place to camp. Beautiful lake with fishing and boat access. Cabins on the water. A lot of full hookup spots available with roughly 7 first come, first serve.

Month of VisitOctober
Damion H E X.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2021

Quiet and Pleasant

My wife and I were homeless for a month and needed to break out the tents. We had a pleasant and fairly private experience. Each site is spread out and fairly well. Be mindful of field roaches and raccoons at night, as we had to learn the hard way the morning after our first night. Oh, and the…

• Play button icon
K
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2021

Not Ideal for Tents

There are only about 6 tent sites at this campground, which makes it not entirely friendly for tent campers. However, the bathrooms were lovely and clean. For those who are allergic, there is a colony of feral cats living outside of the office. OUTDOOR DOMESTICATED CATS ARE TERRIBLE FOR THE…

Jacqueline F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 25, 2021

Not much other than the lake

If you have a boat, canoe, kayak, float this is a great campsite for you. The trails were flooded and we didn’t get any internet reception, but we had some great sunrise views. Some of the spots aren’t level and not much space to put your outside gear. The bathrooms were decent.

• sunrise over lake shelbyville
s
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2021

Double J

I love this place,we always come camping here. It’s got every thing here on the camp

SiteN91
G C.
Reviewed Jul. 7, 2021

Nice Campground

Spent a tent night here at the Deer Run portion of the camp.  It's a nice, well kept campground with clear level spots.  Bathrooms are basic and in the front of the camp loops so you have a walk if you stay in the back like I did.  Also, water is in the center of the loop so not very convenient. …

SiteDeer Run, B Loopo
MThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 3, 2021

Nice campground, very quiet, secluded

Lots of wonderful signs directing you to the campground once you exit the interstate. Secluded. Quite. Not crowded, even when it's full. The roads leading to the campground are narrow, luckily we didn't encounter someone coming the other way! Campground could use some extra gravel on their…

R
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2021

Great campground

Lots to do at this campground. Hiking, biking, fishing.

J
Reviewed May. 15, 2021

Good place for a layover

It is really close to the highway and you will hear the traffic. We were on the row closest to the highway and they had spots in the back by the woods that were probably better. With that being said... Really nice staff. Very clean grounds and bathrooms/showers.

D
Reviewed May. 2, 2021

All pull thru sites!!

Called last minute on a Saturday, I had to leave a message and was hoping someone would call me back! Within five minutes, I had a call back and a lovely pull through site reserved for a one night stay on a Saturday night in May!!! The folks were extremely friendly and the sites are all pull…

Jana C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2021

Huge lake, nice camping

Camped here in a tent. Loved it. Raccoons are really brave and ate not afraid of humans. They know how to rip open a tent for food. Nothing is safe here. But a beautiful lake and campground.

Jana C.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2021

Loved camping here

I camped here in a tent before we had an rv. The primitive sites were perfectly quiet and away from others. Toilet was close and so was parking. I kind of miss tent camping!!!