The best DRIVE IN camping near
Pueblo Pintado , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Pueblo Pintado Camping Reviews
Really nice area!

Beautiful area with nice hikes and drives around it :)

Absolutely stunning

It takes my breath away! They have picnic tables and fire pit with grill for each site.

Just be ready for a "casual" experience

This RV Park is the most haphazardly laid out place I've seen. Imagine if you had a really large lot. Near the front, you own a small beauty parlor. On your land are a couple of old mobile homes. You decide to add some RV hookups(probably 20 years ago) and you just kinda scatter them about in what is only a semblance of order. That gives you an idea. I had called a few weeks before and"reserved" a 50 amp site(there are only 2). She took my name. That was it. No confirmation#, nothing. I had a bad feeling from the start. We arrive just before 7(that's when we said we'd arrive) and both 50 amp spots were taken. She had forgotten we were coming. She offered us a 30 amp site, which for one night, was more than fine. We backed in(sites are uneven, we had to add blocks to keep our motorhome from being held in the air by the jacks) and started set up. I got my money's worth from my EMS that day! We got a reverse polarity error!!! Fortunately, the site near us(unused) was close enough I could run my power cable that way, and it checked out okay. After that, all was well.

It's a very good location, on the north end of Cuba(tiny town). We grabbed take out dinner from the historic El Bruno restaurant, which was phenomenal. The next morning, we struck camp and drove away. It all worked out okay, but don't expect your reservations to be honored. Theresa is super friendly, but clearly relies only on her memory to help her with reservations. Be prepared with a Plan B, I guess, in case you show up and she's rented everything. But at$20, it's a reasonable stay.

Wonderful campground

Living in Albuquerque, this has become our long weekend, get-away destination of choice. The CG is relatively small (12 sites) and is typically very quiet. The road and sites are all paved, with a mix of larger spaces (fit our 35 ft. 5th wheel just fine) and smaller tent / pop up trailer size spots. All sites have tent pads. The area provides lots of opportunities to hike or drive the many forest roads that are nearby. If you enjoy exploring in an atv/utv the forest roads range from well maintained to pretty rough. There is a fresh water hand pump and two vault toilets. Cellular connectivity is nonexistent.

Closed Nov 1 2020 through Feb 28, 2021

We just had our reservations canceled by Recreation.gov. Due to Covid, the campground is temporarily closed.   Now, looking for an alternative.

Great site

Clear Creek was full so we camped her for the night and had a great place to park the pop up and our friends were out behind us in their tent. Very beautiful area!

Very quiet!

Nice quiet FREE place to stay the night even though there were quite a few campers. Camping is in the parking lot area and basically any pull off you can find a space. If you’re in a tent just hike off anywhere and pitch it for the night. There are no trail markers so just be aware while exploring the very cool formations. Off hwy 371, at the T in the road turn left (Google maps said to turn right just FYI) continue down to parking lot or along the road.

There are pit toilets, no water or garbage. I was able to get AT&T and Verizon cell reception.

2nd time visit.

This is my second visit here this time with my wife. After I shared how amazing the night skies where she wanted to join me on my next trip. We will be spending a couple days here and the onwards to Bayfeild CO. It's been warm in the afternoon with no trees in our boondocking spot. We have been running the AC most afternoons till around 6-7pm. The evenings cool enough to just open all the trailers window and enjoy the evening. We've been grilling outdoors and sitting for hours at night enjoying the night skies. The dogs love it here too, plenty of trails for walks. As of now it's still is a no burn. Cell service has been good and over the air TV has plenty of channels to choose from.

Getting away from the city!

Completely natural. You and the outdoors. No electricity, water connections, sewer connections, wifi, cellular, etc.

It is a popular area so it's a first come, first served. Some areas are established camping spots, able to accommodate numerous campers. Others are just getting off the road and enjoying nature.

Beautiful sunsets, peaceful nights.

Spent three nights at this BLM campsite near Bloomfield NM. Amazing views, hiking trails, unreal sunsets and super peaceful nights. There are no services at this campsite. Cell service was good and decent WiFi, I also had available 10 over the air TV channels. This campsite is about 6 miles off HWY 550 with the first 1 1/2 miles being pretty washboard roads. Take it easy because it's worth the stay. First come, first served on spots and there is only about 9 of them.