Herman , NEBRASKA

Most Recent Herman Camping Reviews
Surprise find in Iowa!

I stayed here on a long road trip across the country. Had no idea such a scenic place could be found in Iowa! I chose the closest walk-in spot, less than a mile in. It was great! Near a little creek if you need water, and really nicely secluded. Picnic table and fire ring included. Also, there’s a trail up a hill right near by that had great views of the area and a lovely sunset! I would definitely recommend. Just a head’s up: I saw some pics of people car camping here on this site. Not sure how that would work since it’s supposed to be walk-in only and pretty clearly roped off from access with a car.

Nice and convenient!

Lots of mature trees and grassy areas for playing ball or for the kids to run around! Nice cement pads but the trees need to be trimmed more frequently. Some cons are there isn’t fresh drinking water in convenient places..the hydrants are far as are the outhouses. The train tracks are super close and there’s a train every 30ish minutes so can be quite noisy! Over all, a beautiful place!

Camping Right on the Lake

It is a nice spot a bit off of the main roads. Many of the tent sites allow you to camp right next to the lake. It's generally pretty quiet and people respect the 10 pm quiet hours rule. Each site has a picnic table and fire ring.

Great little hiking park

Been coming to this place on and off for years. They have several hiking trails of different skills inside the preserve. There is a couple look out points of the Loess Hills as well as a educational visitors center. There is a rv camping site, as well as cabins that can be rented. There also 2 types of tenting as well. There is the walk up sites near the cabins, and also a few hike in camp sites.

Mahoney review

My buddies and I rented cabin in the area. Lots of options when it comes to cabins tent areas and RV pads. There is enough here to keep you busy for a long time my favorite is the eagles nest you can see miles down the river. If you have a family I would strongly recommend a visit. Might be biased due to having a bunch of birthday parties here growing up but it’s one of my favorite places to take my son. Photos are taken from river looking at Mahoney.

Nice park, but....

There is a lot of good thing s about this park. There are several lakes to choose from to fish, or nonpower boats. There is a swimming area, beach, and play inflatables for kids in the water. There are playgrounds for kids. Various restrooms in the park, and campsites are spaced fairly well apart. There also nature trails and some camping at river side of the Platte. There is a nice little concession store in the middle of the park, and you can rent kayaks, canoes, and various kinds of paddleboards. However the park is always crowded with people, and trains always seems to fly through town several times at night.

Love, hate

I have a love, hate relationship with this park. There are things I like, and things I don't like. There is plenty of things to do. Swimming and slides at a pool, paddleboats, fishing at some spots, bicycle rentals, ziplines, rock climbing, and other similar activities. However there are no tent camping, and the spots are not level, and are small. The place to me is not relaxing and not quiet, and everytime I have been there it is always packed. I will say I am probably to only in my family that feels this way. So if your more of an outdoors men type of person you probably will feel the same way I do. But I would not dismiss the idea of going to this park.

Make the trip you might be surprised

This is another NRD lake, and pretty well maintained. However unlike Wanhoo you don't need a pass or permit. Also the tent camping is free, and electrical is 18. From what I heard the fishing is good and the lake itself is beautiful. Not to mention there is the little town of Prague and the lake itself is in the Bohemian alps of Nebraska. It is also quiet and peaceful. The few down falls I can see is the lake is not simply accessible from the rvs. Also the trees in the tent area, that are close to the lake, and could cause issues with mosquitoes. So if your looking for something different, but not a ling drive from Omaha or Lincoln area, I would tell you to give it a try.

Great area to camp!

2nd time we’ve camped here. Love that it’s right by the water. Nice big spots with plenty of room. Only downside was this last time we saw a few people let their animals run but that shouldn’t be on the park. All in all a great place to camp!

Next to river

Riverside is a primitive campground so no electric available. There are fire pits and picnic tables at every site with ample space. There is also a playground and access to the Platte River. This campground fills up fast so you Igor wanna reserve ahead of time.