Falls City, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Falls City Camping Reviews
October fest a blast

What an awesome place to camp in October. This last weekend they have haunted hayrack rides, pumpkin throws, trick or trick, VW bus fest, yoga, craft fair, crafts, breast cancer awareness walk, flea market and food trucks. And last but not least, haunted campgrounds. People decorate their campsite and all ages trick or treat. There really are some awesome displays. If you’ve never been- go! It’s a blast.

Small but Nice

We enjoy Kirkman’s for the sand beach and boating. The camper spots (electrical and non electrical) are nice, level, and shaded with mature trees. There’s bathrooms located in between the camper area and the sand beach. One disappointment is the play ground which is dated and not much to offer. Overall, we enjoy the camp ground and visit it often!

Love the history

Indian Cave State Park is full of history! Every path or trail you go down, you will find some sort of blast from the past. The trails are wonderful and the old school house, old well, cave and other buildings are so fun to go explore! Some of the camping grounds are a little dated but it’s nice there’s shower houses and mature trees. We like to visit the park in the spring and fall, only because there’s no place for the kids to swim and cool down in the hot summer, and for the Halloween festivities! All in all there’s many things to do, learn, and explore during your stay! We’re never bored!

Waterfront spots!

This campground is definitely older but having water hookups and lakefront pads make up for it. Only one bathroom house and it’s definitely nothing to write home about. Small play set for kids on one side of the grounds. Would go again if other surrounding locations are full.

Our go to campground!

We love Duck Creek! It has everything you would need in a campground! Excellent playgrounds for kids, swimming and beach area, bathrooms, and depending where you park, a beautiful view of the lake and the miles of Peru bottoms around it!

Tent

Great

Open Camping

Open concept camping with decent amenities.

Peaceful

Just off of I29 it is a very primitive but quiet spot, great fishing, primitive hiking, a small amount of camping spots.

Great area lots of room. Very clean

South side of the lake has great view of the lake

Awesome spot

This park is huge with all kinds of camping! We stayed at a walk-in spot that was hidden behind some trees. It was secluded and amazing! There are lots of trails and activities here too!

Even with flooding still a good park

Due to all the flooding along the Missouri River the campgrounds are still in great shape. Even most of the tent sites are usable. Could still get to the cave, (yes I know it’s not an actual cave) and to other parts of the park as well.

Wooded wonderland with real petroglyphs!

Great campground with beautiful shaded spots. Events not to miss… the Expo in the spring with Morel Mushroom hunting contest, the Haunted Hollow with haunted hay rack ride & campers decorated giving out trick or treats…

Great hikes to see sites

We loved staying here. Nice sites, older picnic tables. Some sites can be tough to get in if you have larger rig. Nice bathrooms. The hikes were nice to do. Several choices in hikes. Dog friendly and kid friendly park.

Great campground

We wanted some place close for a relaxing weekend. This was the perfect spot! Campsites have plenty of space between sites, beautiful views and camp hosts were very helpful. Mostly pull through sites.

Beautiful Landscape

I surprised my husband for a mini birthday trip in August of 2015. Yes…we went tent camping in August! The tent campgrounds were pretty empty and we were able to find a nice spot off the road. When we went they were resurfacing the road all the way down to the cave so if you wanted to see the Indian Cave it was about a 2mile hike, which we didn’t mind, aside from the Nebraska, August heat! We loved the hiking trails through the trees and difficult terrain. This camping trip will be another one to complete…maybe in September or October next time 😃

Very nice campsite...great lake-side views

Very nice campground just west of Holton and about a 35 minute drive north of Topeka. Not many primitive campers there at the time but plenty of RV'ers.

Great!

Great hiking trails and primitive camping!

Hidden Gem

My first visit to this park was a blast. If you live in the Midwest, I would suggest a visit. Lots of hiking and things to explore.

For hiking - we went up loop 10 and down loop 9. It was a steep climb to the top but had great overlook views. If you do the whole loop, coming down 9 is a breeze.

For camping - we stayed in hollows creek. The rv sites are nice, clean and have a nice fire pit. They are a little close to each other, but I like how the bluff helped split them up a little (hence the steep incline others have mentioned). Tent camping sites looked awesome, they are spread out throughout the park, and there’s several walk in sites. We will probably do that next time.

The cave was neat to see, but the hiking, and rest of the park was pretty impressive.

I like it, but...

Convenient but limited. I camp here regularly. I’ve only ever found one small area that’s actually“officially” marked for camping, and it’s nowhere near any facilities. Doesn’t even use the same driveway. Given that I regularly see folks camping in other areas, it may not actually be a problem, but if you’re a stickler for following the rules, you better be prepared to be completely self contained.

4 Season Park with Something for Everyone

Indian Cave State Park is over 3,000 acres nestled in the banks of the Missouri River in southeast Nebraska. It's relatively short hour-and-a-half drive south makes it both accessible and effective for a secluded getaway.

I arrived on a Saturday morning for a simple solo overnighter and the park did not disappoint. Pro tip: be sure to grab a map on the way in to see which camping spots are open. The trails are all open for hiking but only a few highlighted ones are open for overnight stays.

Fires are allowed only in the ring but with proper prep, that doesn't present a problem. Be aware that though there is plenty of fallen Deadwood, you will be hard pressed to find anything besides cottonwood. If you don't want to spend tons of time gathering fuel, bring in some hardwood for a lasting coal bank.

I stayed right along the river at the start of the river road that leads to the main attraction of the park, the Caves. The Caves is an important historic site with natural formations and ancient petroglyphs.

Primitive camping off highway 50

Worth Brothers Rec Area is located west off Highway 50 on 733 road on gravel. It is a primitive camping area - no hook ups. It has a few fire rings, and raised grills. There are picnic table and a covered group picnic shelter. There is drinking water, bathrooms, playground, archery, and a swimming beach. $5 a day or $15 for annual permit.

Primitive camping only-great fishing

Pony Creek Lake is mainly a fishing area but does offer primitive camping on the South West area of the lake. This area is a mowed flat section.

Nice fishing lake-beautiful view

Sebetha lake is located a few minutes from the town of Sebetha and is a nice area for camping. The camp sites are Electric and Water on gravel. For Rvers There is a group of campsites when you first come in which are not shaded very well, but there are some scattered sites around the lake that are nicely shaded. We were in site 14 with our door facing the lake. What a beautiful view! We had a fire ring, a raised grill, picnic table, and trash barrel. The grounds are well maintained. For primitive camping there are sites scattered around lake which woul make good single or group sites. There is a cement bathroom by the permit station which has vault toilets and was not something I would feel comfortable using. It looks as if they would be the Emergency shelter. It would take a really big emergency for me to go in them. Outside the bathrooms were 2 nice picnic tables under a shelter.

The lake offers boating, canoeing, jet skiing, nice nature trails, bird-wildlife viewing, scenic drive,and beautiful lake views. There was hardly any traffic going by our area so it was mostly quiet with an exceptional train in the distance. All and all a nice experience.

Beautiful lake with walking path

This campground is mainly for Rvs. The campsites are full hook ups which are $20. The sites each have a picnic table, and fire pit. They are on pavement, level, and are kind of close together. There is a nice playground away from the sites along with a fenced in sand volleyball court. The park also has a frisbee golf course. The lake/pond has a paved sidewalk surrounding it with plenty of benches scattered to just rest or enjoy the lake and it's wildlife. You can hear the bull frogs, geese, and coyotes when the sun goes down. There is a train track behind the lake, and it seems to have a train every few hours that you can hear from your site. A couple of things that I noticed was the large number of vehicles coming through the campgrounds that were not staying hear. It was very busy and noisy. They also have 2 large fenced in dog runs for the pups.

Everyone should experience Halloween here

A few years back we were told to come experience Halloween at Indian Cave State Park. I was skeptical, but once we went we were hooked and keep coming year after year. We even won the decorating contest last year-The prize is free camping, can't beat that. People come from all over to partake in this fun time. There is the decorating of the camp sites, pumpkin rolling, haunted hay rack rides, trick or treating for the young and old, and it's really an experience.

We stay in a site that is your basic State Park sites-Electric. In the campground there are vault toilets(not the cleanest, but by far not the worst). The bath house is a ways walk. There are lots of trails to wander through and lots of fun to be had.

Sorry for the intrusion

Waubonsie State Park near Hamburg, Iowa is under construction. That is the road was when we visited. The workers were not the most helpful either. That being said the park employees were very informative, if you could find one.

We visited enroute through the area and enjoyed the trails most of all. Though my map skills are questionable I had a more then usual difficult time navigating by the map supplied. The signage was close to non-existent. I fell back on the tried and true , always go left. Which worked well enough for the ridge line we hiked. Some awesome views.

I often have the problem of comparing places I’ve been. You can’t do this state to state I’ve learned because they all run, staff and take care of their natural resources in different ways. I do my best to base my opinion on face value and impressions of my visit to that park. Waubonsie SP is my first Iowa Park , I was not impressed. BUT it was in the style I like, sparsely used, I saw few campers or employees. Of course school was in and harvest going on and I know that makes a huge difference in certain states. Mostly just blue-hairs camping right now, soon to snowbird to the south :) I aspire to that life someday.

Other then the roadwork the park looked to be somewhat maintained. The cabins I saw need some updating but were functional. The campground was basic, grill, fire ring , picnic table, electric on designated sites. Needed some clean up and graveling on the pads. The facilities were not ancient and were maintained okay. The visitors center looked brand new but was closed so no souvenirs goodies.

I would not consider this a destination campground, but the view is worth an overnight enroute somewhere else.

nice, basic campground

The state park is well maintained but doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles! Sites are flat, mostly pull through. Bathrooms and showers are nice and clean. Pool was closed for construction when we stayed, but looked nice. They have really nice little cabins for rent is camping isn’t your strong suit! Not much in the area to visit if fishing isn’t your thing though! There is a drive through nature preserve fairly close but we didn’t go do it. Kayak rental is available but if fishing isn’t your thing this might not be the park for you. Lots of flat roads for biking though!

FREE TENT CAMPING- on the edge of town @ the Auburn RV Park

RV and tent campers only $15 a night with hookup. TENT CAMPING IS FREE! 10-night maximum. Dumping station. Water and electrical. The restrooms are quite a ways away. No showers available.

The town has some decent shopping, such as the Catholic thrift store which is so well set up it could be mistaken for a decent antique store, and a local clothing store with unique items.

The disc golf course in town is challenging and well laid out.

Long term RV camping close to several stores and businesses

Longterm and Short term RV camping in a newer part of town. all the hookups. Sites are directly behind a Dollar General and across the highway from the grocery and Shopko.

Auburn has a golf course and a decent disc golf course.

Good fishing in the Rotary lake.