Hastings, NEBRASKA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Hastings Camping Reviews
Mormon Island

Nice campground with access to fish 3 lakes! Very nice camp host!

Hall County Park

Cool campground with lots of playground equipment, easy access to walking and bike paths and right next to Stuhr Museum which is well worth a trip!

Crystal Lake

New management has made many upgrades and done an overall great job! Flooding this spring undid some of there work as there was no power at the rv hookups.

Liberty Cove

Very well kept recreation area but the lake is often covered with algae and has suffered fish kills in the past

Nice

Friendly staff, reservations made easy, clean bathrooms, very accommodating

Great stop!

Stopped on a trip from SD back to PA. Surrounded by corn fields… so pretty. We were starving and they had pizza delivered right to our camper! So glad we found this place!

Easy Highway Access

Nebraska is abounding with recreation areas many within a reasonable distance of the main highway running across the state.   But War Axe, a much smaller area offers immediate access to fishing and fun within only 30 seconds of the highway!!

I visited this area and quickly was surprised by how such a small location could have such a great opportunity for someone like myself to enjoy a quiet day at a small lake.   Despite being so close to the highway, the location is quiet and calm, a perfect way to spend a day or up to 10 days.

There isn't much to say about this site that is negative, the grass is a plush green and backs up to a corn field, so iconically Nebraska!!   The site is small and only caters to a handful of campers at $10 per site.    While primitive there is a flush toilet with running water making it feel not quite as primitive as other sites along the same stretch.     Lush trees shade the camping zones and a small boat launch offers those stopping in. the opportunity to get in the water or enjoy the small shoreline.

One thing to be said for any recreation area in Nebraska is a friendly reminder that you will need an access pass to stay here or even visit.   These cannot be obtained at the site and must be repurchased before visiting either online or at one of the main offices.   This I found to be a big inconvenience throughout the entire state as I passed by on a weekend and was unaware.

The area is well patrolled and actually a ranger was present when I visited.   He was a great source of information and allowed me to access the area despite my lack of knowledge of the pass requirement.   There is no gate or monitoring when you enter only an honor box near the restrooms.

Campsites are marked with tables and fire rings and any restrictions are posted at the same area as the honor box.

I loved this location and would gladly stop in again if in the area!!  Very cute and small, not busy and easy to access makes for the perfect place to spend a day or night.

Tips:

• Make sure to look online and get your pass for any Nebraska parks or rec areas before traveling to.
  • Bring anything you need with you as there are no services.   Since this is along a major highway you are only a short distance from stores if you forget something but better come with everything rather than having to find them after.
Really nice!!

We were VERY satisfied here. The price was more than usual but it is a private facility. Beautiful sites, ponds for fishing. Camp store well attended. Staff and service excellent. Two state parks on the island give plenty of natural wonders, including a small beach. Location is so cool!

Aug 5th-11th

While camping at Morman Island, we went through one of the worst storms! 85 to 90 mile an hour winds with hail! It was bad enough to go through the storm but it really was bad that not one person from the campground came around to check on us the next morning! They really just concentrated on the clean up. The priorities were messed up. At the time of the storm there were only 25 campers in the whole place. How long would it have taken to check on the well being of those 25 campers! There was no prior warning of the storm from anybody at the campground. Other campgrounds that we’ve stayed at, we always have had a heads up. The pictures are from the morning after. Not just a little blow! Overall the visit wasn’t the best with the storm and all. There are several rules that are clearly posted throughout the grounds and at the pond. Dogs on a 6 ft leash. No floaties in the swimming area. No dogs on the beach. No parking on the grass. All of these were being violated and not one person from the staff could be seen addressing any issues. People were doing whatever they wanted to. I would have loved to let my dog go swimming but it was against the rules. The section we were in was a new section, but we could not even let our dog out in our camp site because of an abundance of stickers and burrs! She at one point just laid down because of her paws filled with burrs and could not walk any more. This was in our site. I’m not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The facilities were very clean. (They need a shower house in the new section). Making the reservation was very easy. The people we did talk to were very nice.

To many signs!

The facilities are very clean. The grounds are well kept.
The only down side I didn’t like was the amount of signs throughout the grounds! There are signs every where telling you what you can’t do. They could do with a few less signs. A overall nice place to set up. Plenty of space between sites so you are not on top of each other.