Fremont, NEBRASKA
Most Recent Fremont Camping Reviews
Platte River State Park

Very nice park! Not as crowded as neighboring Mahoney State Park but very similar activities.

Mahoney

Very well kept park with so much to do!

Loved staying here

Beautiful clean place to stay

Hidden Gem

Beautiful place to enjoy the loess hills!

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak Hats at Eugene T. Mahoney State Park, NE

Campground Review:

Eugene T. Mahoney State Park in Nebraska is on the Platte River off Interstate 80 about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln.  I will preface the review stating that the review is receiving four stars primarily because of the amenities at the park.  The campgrounds themselves are fairly basic.  There are areas to tent and park your RV within the state park.  The RV campground has about a dozen full hookup sites and the rest of the campsites have electric hookups.  There is not much room between the sites, so you do feel that you are stacked on top of the other campers.  There is a wait list for the campgrounds much of the year.  We were able to score a walk-up thankfully.  The site does have water fill stations and a dump station.  Their shower house is also decent enough.

But, as I said you are not coming here to hangout in the campground.  There is something for everyone at this state park.  They have hiking on paved and un-paved trails, which we utilized both.  There is an activities center for kids to make different arts and crafts.  They have horseback riding, a theater, paddle boating, parks, minature golf, etc.  During the summer you can have fun at the big water park they have on site.  They also have cabins and lodge rooms available for rent.  The cabins book quickly, and can get pricey at around upwards of $400 a night during their peak season for one of the newer cabins.  The lodge houses a decent restaurant with some great views of the Platte River.

At the main activities area they have a massive indoor play area for kids.  This building also houses their new and extremely fun 40ft. climbing walls.  Outside this building during the winter they have a covered ice rink and they also produce their own snow for the sledding hill.  All-in-all it is a nice place with plenty to do onsite.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I occasionally get to test products.  While out at the state park we got the opportunity to test out Banner & Oak hats. https://bannerandoak.com/

My boys and really appreciate good hats.  We found the Banner & Oak brand hats to be really exception hats.

The hats my sons wore were the Banner & Oak Eagle and the Banner & Oak Sierra.  These two hats were made in the United States.  I wore the Banner & Oak Switchback which was not produced in the United States.

All three hats are really quality hats.  The stitching is tight around the sweatbands and the bill, which is usually a sign the hat will last a long time.

The mesh used for the back of the hat appears to be an older heavier duty mesh.  This mesh reminds me of the mesh found in older hats, or the hats of my youth.  I still have a couple of these hats, so this is another good sign of lasting quality.

The overall designs of all three hats are really just cool.  They look cool and they feel cool, and I am really surprised by how much I like the flat billed hat, since I usually cannot stand them.  The boys and I are really impressed with the construction and feel of the Banner & Oak hats!

Great outdoors close to the city!

Hitchcock Nature Center is north of Crescent, IA and just let outside Omaha, NE. A short drive from the city and you are in the Loess Hills that were explored by Lewis and Clark on their trek west. The is a $3 day use pass or a $20 yearly pass available.

This place has a lot to offer anyone. They have Nature education events, archery range, a handicapped accessible boardwalk trail, hiking trails, camping, etc. There are miles of trail available with backcountry camping available for $10 per night. RV camping is also available for $15 per night with electric, showers/bathrooms, picnic tables, fire rings, etc. They also offer a couple cabins for rent.

The hiking is fantastic and offers something for every skill level. There are absolutely gorgeous views of the Missouri River valley below. All trails are marked and the a multiple different trailheads, many which start around the visitors center/tower Overlook. During the winter they even over snowshoeing events. It is really a nice place to get outdoors anytime of the year.

Car racers paradise

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Free Rein Rain Jacket at Lincoln Air Park Campground

Campground Review:

Having downtown Lincoln about 20 minutes away from Lincoln Air Park means that there is a lot to do and go see close by.  Being a SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) member means that when you go to an event at Lincoln Air Park, you can camp on site.

This isn’t your typical campground by any means. This is a huge paved area of the airport where the SCCA hosts autocross races.  This means that you must bring all your camping gear with you. It is typically motor homes and RVs that stay on the site, but a few brave people pack a tent and set it up on the concrete pad.

There are little to no amenities on-site so you need to be prepared.  There are port-a-potties but no drinking water available. If you do need water or septic tanks serviced, there is a $50 fee to have a company come out and fill or empty those in your RV.

The quiet hours on-site are from 10PM to 6AM and the rest of the day it is loud.  There are cars running the autocross course and the occasional plane takes off on the adjacent runway.  Like I said, this isn’t your typical campground, but it is very nice to be able to stay on-site while racing.

Being on-site is great as you get to socialize with other competitors after the days events and many times the SCCA will sponsor a dinner for the drivers after an event.

What is great about this area is the Haymarket in downtown Lincoln.  It is worth the short 15 to 20 minute drive to experience all the great restaurants and activities they hold in this beautiful downtown setting.  You can find out more at https://lincolnhaymarket.org/.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I sometimes get to test out various camping gear.  At the Lincoln Air Park I tested out the Red Ledge Free Rein rain jacket. This is the perfect spot to put the rain jacket to the test, as it always seems to rain a couple times during my stays in Lincoln.

This is the nicest rain coat I have ever owned.  I'm used to the heavy ones that do not breathe at all.  I was surprised at how well made this Red Ledge rain jacket is.  The rain jacket is a good material thickness for the cooler rainy days, but I also don't think it is too hot when it gets muggy out during the rain.  This jacket has pit zippers which open up a huge area to let you get some fresh air in and the hot air out.

I find these a must now that I've worn a rain jacket with venting areas.  This just makes you so much more comfortable. I was also able to keep these completely open during the rain and I never got wet.

I also really like the hood on this rain jacket.  Most rain jackets have a hood but it is always in your face and if you turn your head it gets in the way.  The hood has a shock cord running through it that can be tightened, above your ears where a baseball cap is worn, and it keeps the hood in place.  This is great and I found it to be very comfortable.

I am 5'10" and 154 lbs. I read a review that said the rain jacket runs a little small so I ordered a large which is a size up from my normal jackets.  I found this to be just about perfect. The back is longer than the front of this jacket, which I like for using on a bicycle and the sleeves were just about an inch or two long which is great for reaching for the handlebars on the bike.  I would recommend one size up from your normal size as it also allows you to put another layer on underneath if you need to in colder weather.

Another bonus is the great colors this jacket comes in.  I like the bright colors offered as compared to many other rain jackets that seem to be black, or other dark colors.

See http://redledge.com/collections/free-rein/products/mens-free-rein-jacket to see more about the rain jacket!

Awesome

The park is well kept, the sites have plenty of space to them so you don’t feel like you’re on top of someone else’s camper. There’s playgrounds and a pool, a dog park, basketball court and disc golf. The nicest park we’ve stayed at for sure.

Really nice campground that is missing shade

Lake Wanahoo is a fairly new lake in Saunders county Nebraska. The lake is part of the local NRD and was originally managed by the state parks department. You used to be able to use your state park permit to gain entry, but now you need to either buy a day pass or a yearly pass from the NRD.

There are plenty of places to camp here including gravel pads and grass pads for RV’s. While most people seem to prefer the gravel pads closer to the lake, we actually prefer grass pads because they are 2-3 larger, so you have more room to setup.

The tent camping area is huge and there always seems to be plenty of availability. We were the only tent in the entire area. The tiered tent area allows you to have a great view of the lake from wherever you setup. All RV and tent spots have picnic tables and fire rings. Unfortunately when the lake and campground were built they planted saplings, so during the hot months there is no shade to be found.

The is still plenty to do at the lake from getting the fishing boat out, using their three wide boat ramp or fishing from the shore using bank or using a jetty. There is a gravel trail that goes all the way around the lake, which provides about a three mile loop. The trail also leads down into the town of Wahoo. There are two large play areas for kids. One is in the campground and one is across the lake in the day use area.

No matter where you go you are not far from a restroom. There are nice clean vault toilets available all around the lake. There is also a large bathroom/shower house in the campground. The shower house does have a change machine on the outside of the build to get change for the showers. These are kept very clean and tidy.

When pulling your RV out here the water fill is in an awkward spot in a parking lot of the campground. To get to the dump station you have to leave the campground, get on the highway and drive to the opposite side of the lake to the day use area. These were just installed a couple years ago. They are nice and level, but just add a bit of driving to get to them.

All-in-all this is a nice place and in a few more years of tree growth, it could be even better!

One of my favorites

Tent camping sites. No electrical hookups but you can still camp in campers if you want. Beautiful Campground with lots of trees and shade. Very nice Lake with fishing available. There appears to be an option for canoe rentals available. Boat ramp and dock. Multiple bathroom locations within the campground. Picnic tables near the water. I’ve kayaked the lake! So much fun.

Quiet spot

We were the only tent campers here, about half of the 16rv spots were taken. It’s right on a little river and has a play set and portapotty. Self check in and cheap! About 10 min off of I80. It is a great spot to stop for the night.

Very nice!

Very nice campground. Kid friendly with tons of activities. Nice pool & hot tub. Clean laundry facilities and they even have a dog park.

Closed for good!!!!

Due to the pass three years of flooding this campground has been closed for good. Not to be reopened.

Small but nice

This is a County run Park, that has a limited number of sites. The location is very nice, most sites are full sun. And the grounds are located on top,of a hill. Easy drive in, all paved. A lot of hiking trails, for day hikes. Really nice location but site availability is always the question. Would recommend.

Park is closed for the 2019 season due to flooding

Nice park, with electrical and water at most every site, however the campground is flooded by the Missouri River for the 2019 season. Check back soon

Closed the 2019 Season for remodel

This is a very nice park getting better. With better water distribution, electrical distribution and concrete pads. However it is closed until May 2020 for this remodel.

Closed for 2019 season due to flooding

This campground had been closed part of 2018 and all of 2019 Season due to flooding of the Missouri River.

Wouldn’t stop again

Stopped here for one night on a long trip. I was disappointed at first that the swim area was closed already in Mid-August but then I saw it and changed my mind. The areas around the campsites and for swimming were large ponds. I wouldn’t have let my kiddo in there if it was open. The pit toilets were absolutely disgusting, but I guess that is to be expected. Road noise was pretty intense at night. Overall I wouldn’t stop here again.

Conestoga State Recreation area. Site 50 and major renovation review

Conestoga SRA is an increasingly popular campground following major renovations that were completed in 2018. Improvements to the picnic tables, restrooms, added shelter area and most importantly a complete overhaul of the lake have made this a much improved campground. Conestoga is entirely walk up with no reservations. You can easily self register at the park entrance and a second location closer to the lake centrally located between two of the three camping areas. A pack in primitive campground was also added to the lake and is accessible via a gravel hiking path. Fishing for mature fish will not be possible until 2021 according to Nebraska game and parks. I did see plentiful immature fish while kayaking the lake in June of 2019. The lake was complete dredged out and the parks commission added several silt pond around the lake to capture silt run off. This should keep this lake much cleaner than it was in the past. The park is boat and kayak friendly these days with the addition of two brand new boat ramps. By my count there were three new fishing docks going up although only one was completed during my stay. This is not relatively quite campground but it is popular. Kids can ride their bikes all around the paved and gravel rounds throughout the camp. The sites in the row on the side of site 50 are huge. We enjoyed spreading our stuff out with multiple tents and played games in the large open space. Shade is limited over a good 1/3 of the powered sites. The primitive site closer to the lake is well shaded with mature trees. There was a camp host who made sure we knew where the storm shelter was on the night of our stay. We nearly needed to use it as we experienced a severe thunder storm. There are 25 camp pads offering 20-30–50 amp hook ups and another 8 non electric pad sites. There is a dump station and several vaulted, well maintained toilet houses. Water is also available. If you plan on boating there is a 5mph speed limit so this is more of a canoe or kayaking lake or just for fishing. I highly recommend this SRA close to Lincoln Nebraska

Family Friendly

Convenient location right off the highway, but with that you do get the noise. Has a playground and pool as will as a convenience store. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Not much to do outside of the campgrounds, but we were just passing through so was an ideal spot for us. Offers military discount.

I only stayed the night, but as I was walking my dogs I saw the camp. Everywhere you turn there was something to do. Good fun.

Nice little city park

A nice little city park in the Loess Hills of Iowa, it's not a destination but makes for a good overnight stop. The campground is primarily RV camping with about 20 sites with full hook ups. The tent camping is a bit vague, as all of the numbered sites had hook ups. I ended up pitching my tent in the grass as I didn't want to take the last site with hook ups when I didn't need them. There really aren't any trees for hammocks. The bathroom is secure with a coded door, and it is very clean inside although also very hot. The info on the bath house said to drop your pay envelope in the slot next door to city hall in town, which necessitates a drive back into the cute town. There is a nice walking path around the pond and some pretty neat historical buildings to explore as well.

An important note: Due to the massive and devastating flooding in the Spring (2019), most of the sites were occupied by flood victims, not just in this campground, but all along highway 29/the Loess Hills. Many campgrounds have modified their fees or closed to regular campers to provide space to families who lost their homes and farms to the Missouri River flooding.

Scenic spot

Scenic lakeside campsites. A great time. Upkeep could be better as dumpsters were overflowing however.

Great place!

Beautiful little spot by a small lake. Excellent pricing- $15 for the night with electric. Several camp sights for RV and tent. Lots of amenities including canoe and paddle boat rentals. Very friendly people, and campers. Even though the site we chose was pretty full, it was very quiet. Other campers were very courteous! We will come back again!

Family Fun

This site is great for any size family. The range of different camping options and amenities is incredible. The facilities are well maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful. Everything is nicely spread out on the grounds, and the location is near the highway to reach other amenities. A definite winner!

Just hike

Small Campground the few hookups cabins and a great place to hike .

Underwater

When camping there in the past great Campground for riding bikes and River fishing underwater this year due to the floods in Iowa..

Horseback riding and archery.

Very clean Campground very well maintained horseback riding was a blast and the archery range was cool as hell face to the T-Rexes

CLOSED FOR GOOD

The Park has been closed for good. Not to be reopened.

Long time camper here!!

I love the whole park - especially the archery range!!