North Platte, NEBRASKA

Camping Nebraska North Platte

Most Recent North Platte Camping Reviews
Campground with small pond

When you pull off at Paxton Nebraska, there is a campground with 12 full hook ups next to the gas station(the Lodge). There is a car wash and hotel there too. The Rv sites are pull thru so easy to park. Each site is spacious with a BBQ grill but no fire rings or picnic tables. You register at the hotel and sites are $22/ night and include cable. If you are tired and need a place to pull over this area serves its purpose.

Mom w/toddler

Awesome stop! Loved the trees, lake, and hospitality. Big site didn’t have to unhook which is nice for mom traveling with toddler. Safe environment and great fellow campers. Be prepared with food and don’t forget fishing/swimming gear!

Neat place to sleepover

Sleepy Sunflower RV Park is a neat place to stop over. Although it is right next to the interstate which is noisy, it has a cute western feel. It has a little area they call the town square wtt a wagon and carriage. It has tables with umbrellas, an area to BBQ, fire pit and outdoor kitchen. There is a office/market, free WiFi, playground, and a small pet run. The 28 RV sites are on rock, with full hook-ups, picnic table and some have fire pits. The 8 tent areas have grass with sand area for the tent to sit on, there are also 2 Tee-pees to rent. The bathrooms are extremely clean, as is the campground in whole. We did not have a reservation and showed up after hours hoping we could get in. It was nice that there was a place to check in and pay after hours. The office and campground was decorated nicely and owners (DuPeire family)live on site. There is a book and puzzle exchange, recycle bins and access codes for security.

Nice quiet spot in the middle of Nebraska.

Bathrooms nice and clean. Nice pool. Campsites are large and very clean. The campground is outside of town so it’s very peaceful, especially at night

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak At Jeffrey Canyon State Park

Campground Review:

Traveling through Nebraska there are several areas you might be interested in exploring, amongst those Jeffrey Canyon State Wildlife Area, a primitive site with a rich history and a unique location.

As you travel down the road to Jeffrey Canyon the corn fields abound and thrive, the terrain begins to climb then you sharply turn to access the area.    The area is clearly marked, but the areas which you are allowed to camp are not.   As a part of the hydroelectric power area there are many unique features including a large lake with plenty of land around it.   The problem lays in that there are no maps delegating areas which are able to be camped on.    One area beyond the park is privately owned and marked for no entry, but the historic looking outbuildings, while interesting are not marked by any specific markers.

It was not until I left the property that I knew what exactly I had been looking at while there.  The historic buildings are gems to say the least but without marking or description they are mere photographable relics.    It was a bit sad to visit and have little to no knowledge of what was abounding.

The reservoir itself is a fishermen's haven with many coming to the area to fish and enjoy sport.  While visiting I noticed many navigating the lake on various sized boats.

As for camping this is where there was more than a little confusion.    The steep uneven terrain just beyond the road/dam was open for primitive camping, however it would be a bit awkward to access for many vehicles.    With road wash and loose gravel it was not  ideal and I could honestly say I was a little worried about driving down toward the camping area which was not much more than a slurry pit area.

It was very sad to see that such an area with great promise was not better equipped for those coming to the area to appreciate it.   There were no services, which was somewhat expected but the potential of the site and how well manicured the outbuildings were and the vast difference in the actual camping area allocated was very disconnected.

When approaching town I asked someone and they said many use the woods, however this is hike in only and very limited parking along the major roadway are used for this.   I personally would not recommend this.

The grounds were beautiful and deserving of a much higher rating but the camping itself was limited and deemed the lower rating.   Perhaps visit for fishing or just a good stop in Nebraska but steer toward one of the other locations within 30 miles of this location for actual camping.

Product Review:

I was very excited when I was asked to review some of the items from Banner & Oak on this trip and found that the variety and styles of hats offered was so vast.    I selected the "Freedom To Explore" hat which was very fitting for the adventures I take on while traveling.   I consider myself to be a nomad at heart and go wherever the wind blows me so the theme of this hat was a mirror of myself.

The hat is a snapback with a unique feel to the material used.   The black and grey fabric is a great suit for most looks as it is muted and can appeal to many.   The customizable size is perfect for someone like myself because my head is a bit smaller so this allows me to really fit the hat and keep it secure even in a windy day like the one I visited this location.

The quality of the Banner & Oak brand is very high and I love that the hat is not only versatile but durable.

I personally prefer hats during summer for sun protection wince I have such short hair and this hat did not disappoint at all in this regard!   I would easily give this hat by Banner & Oak a 5 star rating.   It was just ashamed that the hat completely outshined the location!

Great stopover on a journey

I wouldn't use this campground as a destination, but it is a great stopover location on a roadtrip. We stopped here on the way to South Dakota.

There is a zoo-ish feel with various animals in cages that you can feed around the lake. A large playground for the kids as well as a community pool and tennis courts. It looks like someone put a campground in a city park honestly.

But the sites are large enough for a tent or RV and it is right on the Platte so it would be perfect for boaters on a stopover too. Only $5 per site makes a great cheap stop.

Quiet and Peaceful, Great Camp Hosts!

The park is a quick hop off I80! Quiet, scenic and spacious! Camp Hosts are SUPER HELPFUL & kind! The shower/bathhouse is older but well kept. $25 for RV parking and showers are free! I would stay here again & I would recommend this park for families/hikers/nature lovers.

Great little retreat

Very nice park just off I-80. There's a nice little lake that you can swim and fish (catch and release only), or rent a kayak or little boat. Full hookups available, with many pull through spots as well. Each spot has a fire pit and picnic table. In the middle of the grounds is a children's playground and 2 small fenced dog runs. Nice bathroom and shower facilities, and a nice store for many of your needs. And if you need more, there's 2 truck stops (travel plazas) across the interstate. Maybe the only drawback would be interstate noise. I highly recommend.

Awesome amenities

We were nestled between the lake, the playground and the dog off-leash area. Our girls were able to go back and forth independently, as we could see them from our campsite. We’ll definitely be back!

Lakeside campground off I-80

Nestled off I-80 in Nebraska off the 179 exit to North Platte you will find a decent campground. This campground has 89 Rv sites along with multiple tent sites which have little yellow fish signs to mark them. The Rv sites are gravel, level, have picnic benches and a fire ring. There is a small fishing/swimming lake that is catch and release only. Some fish you might catch are Crappie, Bass, Catfish, Walleye and others. They have a neat incentive where if you catch a tagged fish you win a boat rental. The boat rentals available are kayaks,paddle oats, and rowboats for rent at reasonable prices at the office. There is also a small 2 unenclosed dog walk, a playground, and a walking trail. Also available are horse shoes and volleyball. The restrooms are fairly clean. The showers in the women’s are being redone and are looking nice. There is a laundry facility on site. The office/store has camping essentials and firewood for purchase. The owners took possession and reopened in May of 2016. This campground is in short walking distance from the platte River-across the street. All and all it is a convenient and decent place to stop along I-80 as you are traveling.