Bertrand, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Bertrand Camping Reviews
Medicine Creek

Well maintained park with excellent facilities! The cabins offered through the game and parks are very tidy and are stocked with cooking utensils.

North Shore

Nice campground close to the marina!

Boat Ramp

Good boat ramp with a nice parking lot as long as it hasn’t rained heavy

Main Campground

Large well kept kept campground! Very easy to get in and out off and all facilities are top notch!

Inlet

Clean and well kept campground! Great bank fishing very nice boat ramp right next to one of the most productive fishing spots on the lake!

Nice quiet spot in the middle of Nebraska.

Bathrooms nice and clean. Nice pool. Campsites are large and very clean. The campground is outside of town so it’s very peaceful, especially at night

Easy Highway Access

Nebraska is abounding with recreation areas many within a reasonable distance of the main highway running across the state.   But War Axe, a much smaller area offers immediate access to fishing and fun within only 30 seconds of the highway!!

I visited this area and quickly was surprised by how such a small location could have such a great opportunity for someone like myself to enjoy a quiet day at a small lake.   Despite being so close to the highway, the location is quiet and calm, a perfect way to spend a day or up to 10 days.

There isn't much to say about this site that is negative, the grass is a plush green and backs up to a corn field, so iconically Nebraska!!   The site is small and only caters to a handful of campers at $10 per site.    While primitive there is a flush toilet with running water making it feel not quite as primitive as other sites along the same stretch.     Lush trees shade the camping zones and a small boat launch offers those stopping in. the opportunity to get in the water or enjoy the small shoreline.

One thing to be said for any recreation area in Nebraska is a friendly reminder that you will need an access pass to stay here or even visit.   These cannot be obtained at the site and must be repurchased before visiting either online or at one of the main offices.   This I found to be a big inconvenience throughout the entire state as I passed by on a weekend and was unaware.

The area is well patrolled and actually a ranger was present when I visited.   He was a great source of information and allowed me to access the area despite my lack of knowledge of the pass requirement.   There is no gate or monitoring when you enter only an honor box near the restrooms.

Campsites are marked with tables and fire rings and any restrictions are posted at the same area as the honor box.

I loved this location and would gladly stop in again if in the area!!  Very cute and small, not busy and easy to access makes for the perfect place to spend a day or night.

Tips:

• Make sure to look online and get your pass for any Nebraska parks or rec areas before traveling to.
  • Bring anything you need with you as there are no services.   Since this is along a major highway you are only a short distance from stores if you forget something but better come with everything rather than having to find them after.
Quiet and Peaceful, Great Camp Hosts!

The park is a quick hop off I80! Quiet, scenic and spacious! Camp Hosts are SUPER HELPFUL & kind! The shower/bathhouse is older but well kept. $25 for RV parking and showers are free! I would stay here again & I would recommend this park for families/hikers/nature lovers.

Love Hunter Cove

Live Hunter Cove camping, clean, great place to relax

Great Family Camping and Fishing

Large campground with primative and RV sites. Dogs are allowed on leash and there are plenty of places for the kids to run around and play. There is a heated shower and coin operated laundry available in the campground or you're only a few minutes away from Alma, NE for a supply run. Fishing is popular here with a great boat ramp and area to clean the walleye or whatever is biting that day. For those who RV camp, there is a dump station available.

Huge Campground with Many Options

There are many RV and tent sites at this campground with water access to the Harlan reservoir. Several loops of sites are available around the lake within this campground. Electric RV sites and some tent sites can be reserved online while there are also a set number of first come first served sites. Dogs and campfires are allowed. There is a fish cleaning station for those who are interested in fishing. There is also a playground in the main loop for kids. Due to the overwhelming amount of rain in the area, some of the sites are unavailable right now, but there are still more than enough for everyone. We were there on a busy holiday weekend and still had plenty of space, shade, and privacy. Dogs are allowed on lease at all times. There are also two group campsites and a covered picnic facility that would be great for reunions.

Perfect for low key RV camping and boating

This is a smaller RV campground within the city of Alma, NE. Very popular boating on the Harlan reservoir. The town offers easy grocery shopping or supply runs.

Nice and quit

Nice spot and water access. Great showers and fire pits. Small and private.

Arrive Early

My husband and I did a long anniversary weekend here to enjoy the beautiful weather. We stayed here early October of 2016! Like I said in the title, if possible arrive early on the weekend or even a little earlier during the week to get the best spot in the area. We were lucky enough to get this spot and it must be a hot commodity because we had no less than 10 different people drove past to see if the spot was open. As you can see from the pictures, the spot is just a short walk from the small sand pit lake. Makes it ideal for early morning fishing and a quick kayak launch site. If you love fishing and floating around beautiful lakes, this is the spot for you. There is no modern amenities so you will have to rough it for a few days, which we don’t mind at all. Early October was a perfect time to go, the trees were still changing colors and the smell of fresh fall air was everywhere!

Nice clean well kept with a quite setting along the lake

This campground is busy all summer for the full hookup but normally will have electricity only or primitive openings

Great little spot!

Decent camping spots, with lots of lakeshore for fishing and kayaking.

Good overnight

Several good fishing ponds, my favorite is back on the service road.

Clear water

Close to I80. Beautiful clear waters. No electricity. Swimming area.

Close to hiking trail and the Archway museum.

Short walk to the Platte river. Several fishing ponds.

Clean Showers, nice setup

This large city park on the edge of town has a variety of great sites. Easy for large RVs that I saw to pull through. The park itself is nice enough and has a river running through it. The showers are old but clean. There are lots of things to do in town and out. ASn old pony express depot has been restored and is a visitor's center.

Most relaxing vacation my husband and I have ever had.

Located on Harlan County Lake. We chose campsite #63, just back from the shoreline. It was an extremely large site with plenty of room to play with our dogs without bothering anyone else. Plenty of places to walk or hike along the shoreline. While the temps were in the 90's and humid out in the sun, our site stayed between 78 and 80 due to the cooling breezes coming from the lake. The campground water supply was pristine. There were plenty of nice outhouses spread throughout the park. The main bathhouse is huge and the showers are great. The boat ramp was very nice. The campground hostess was very nice and comes around to introduce herself in case you have any questions.

Well wooded with nice amenities.

Nice to have a site that has plenty of shade. Nebraska SRAs are great and this is in my top 10.

Eh

Area around SRA is great. Fireflies every night, nice bathrooms, and fishing wasn’t bad. However, the sites are WAY too close together. Don’t know if we just showed up at the wrong time, but seems like “quiet hours” aren’t enforced. If you’re in need of a stopover, stay here but if you want more of a camping experience, look elsewhere. Booked a reservation for the weekend (3 nights) and left a day early.

clean park

clean park, spots are super close. swimming lake was clean and well kept, just a really super hot weekend. most people opted to buy baby pools and keep close to camp site -which a fantastic idea by the way!

Nice and close to Inters tate 80

very nice sites with hookups. will definitely stay there again!

wonderful

we had a great time here. quite and peaceful. bike rental is fun and the fishing was good as well.

Ranger Review [UPDATE]: Saris Freedom Superclamp 2-Bike bike rack at Lafayette Park Campground

Campsite Review

I was looking for a place to stay close to I-80 as I made a drive from Chicago back home to Boulder. This place seemed close enough to the highway to give a look, and I was not disappointed. I rolled in to the campgrounds around sunset and saw some people using the nearby lake to do some fishing.

I woke up, and there was a horse grazing across the road, and I discovered this really large, open space park next to the grounds also had a disc golf course. My campsite had a fire pit and a picnic table, there were others with electrical hookups, and sites that could easily accommodate RVs. There was a dump station and dumpsters for waste.

There were some playground areas, a place for firewood purchase, and a horse shoe play area adjacent to a rec building.

Product Review (update)

A few weeks ago I was awarded the Saris Freedom Superclamp 2-Bike bike rack from a contest run through TheDyrt's Facebook page. I have been able to use the bike rack for about 2 months, and taken it through a lot of different road conditions. You can read about the initial review here.

My overall impressions now that I've had the rack for a while longer is that it's a winner. You can watch a video of my overall impressions. While I still wish the rack offered some kind of way to get into my trunk without having to take the bike(s) off, it's just hard to argue it's a nuisance since it doesn't take that long to take the bike(s) on and off the rack. I've also changed my mind about the built-in bike locks. While I initially thought longer bike cable locks could be useful to lock up your bikes frame and front wheel (since most bikes have a front wheel quick-release option), I realized I had my own bike lock for my bike already that I just used, and I imagine most - if not all - people who will buy a bike rack for their bikes have locks for them too. A longer cable lock would require a larger place for it to be stored when not in use, which adds to the weight of the rack, which in the end isn't necessary.

In the city of Chicago, when I took the bike off during city commuting, I noticed it would have been nice to have the ability to fold the rack up closer to the end of my car, since there's so much city parking that's parallel parking, and the space added to the end of the car no longer made me a candidate for some spots.

Overall, this Saris bike rack is so easy to use, is super secure for my bikes, and was very durable - holding up to all kinds of 4WD-only roads. Definitely recommend.

The Sun Sets on Another Road Trip

Well, this 2,900 mile round trip Colorado-Toronto road trip has finally come to a close, and it's been a lot of fun. It certainly couldn't compete with my Rocky Mountain trip in late June up to Jasper National Park in Alberta on a scenery scale, but it had it's moments of solitude and a lot more lake time. To have been able to use TheDyrt to help plan out a few days on the road like my time in Land Between the Lakes, using info to figure out things like which campgrounds would be good for biking and canoeing, was a real plus.

I tried to avoid the corn fields of Iowa and Nebraska both directions, and don't regret doing the eastbound portion along I-70 and through Kansas and Missouri, but it was more of the same when it came to fields and fields of crops and prairies. My bigger regret is not giving myself enough time to explore more parts of Tennesse and Kentucky like the fun city of Nashville or the distilleries. Then again, I loved every minute of my time spent in Toronto up north in cottage country with my family, and would've regretted skimming days off that experience. With only so many days off, it's pretty easy to prioritize family. It just means I'll be back to Kentucky, derby time or camping season.

Respite from the road

This is our second visit for one night to and from Colorado. The sites are big and grassy with large trees. The host has a slew of bikes that can be used on a trust basis, no fee. There is a nice breeze in the evening. Yes, you can hear the highway, but the pros outway the cons. Showers are available for .75 for 3 minutes. There is a change machine. We would return.

Stopover

Stopped on way to another destination. Sites need updating and are packed too closely. Neighbor offered parking assistance as we witnessed him urinating in bushes. If you're going to party with a group is fine but not friendly to big rigs. Bathrooms were clean and lake is nice.