Fountainhead-Orchard Hills, MARYLAND

Camping Maryland Fountainhead-Orchard Hills

Most Recent Fountainhead-Orchard Hills Camping Reviews
So far my favorite

So far, I would say this was one of my favorite campsites along the canal to stay at. It’s very large, and if you stay down closer to the river, it’s very peaceful, and a beautiful site to wake up to.

Marginal Muddy Mess

I'll give them credit for opening early in the season, and for the quiet location, but the place is a muddy mess when it rains. The septic system is the quest I've seen at any campground, basically just a hole flush to the ground with a loose cap on it. I can see where it could have some redeeming qualities when it was manicured, or even cleaned up a bit. But KOA, you can do a lot better. Clean your act up.

Most well kept campground I’ve ever visited.

Paradise stream is a beautiful campground. They go above and beyond to keep the grounds immaculate. The fire pits are even top notch. There are many activities including boating on the lake, fishing, pedal carts, shuffle board, mini golf and swimming. The staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. Planning another visit this year.

Love this place

This place is heaven… Busy on weekends, but for a reason. I've been going here since I was a little kid and I'm 33 now. Brought my spouse last year for the first time and now we're both in love. You're in the woods. Can't see the other sites at night other than a fire. Be a good neighbor though and keep it quiet after dark.

No Camping Here

There is no overnight camping in this small city park. There is a small dog park, a small pond, and an unimproved trail around the pond.

Beautiful nature. Not so beautiful bathrooms.

Pros: Very friendly and accommodating staff. We camped in October and we had pretty much the entire place to ourselves. Beautiful lake and overall picturesque setting. Free range, friendly goats wander around, which is kinda fun. Cons: WiFi signal weak and intermittent, even close to router. We camped in sites with hookups near office and entrance and the toilets are really far. The showers are even farther-like a 15-20 minute walk with bad signage directing to. The view from the showers were breathtaking, but the showers themselves left much to be desired. We had told they had just been cleaned, but they were so old and rust stained that it still felt kinda gross. Cobwebs along ceiling, dim lighting and worn paint added to the overall dinginess. There are no hooks to hang a towel and no shower curtain, wall or door so the bench with my clothes and towel got wet as did the floor, so you step out of shower into a puddle.

Great park

Sites are pretty close together and not much privacy but the trails are great and the nicest bathrooms and showers I have seen. Very beautiful area

Great relaxing time

Great atmosphere and great people

Excellent Place

My kids never stopped running! We will be back.

Nice hiking opportunities!

Ranger Review: Firebiner and Fiber Light Fire Starter at Greenbrier State Park

Campground Review:

We were here one week before this campground closed for the season (open April through October) and it was so quiet that it was hard to imagine what it is like in the summer when the beach is open and the campground is likely full. There are four loops; two with no hookups and no pets allowed, one with no hookups that allow pets and one with electric sites that allow pets. Each site is clearly defined, and the sites all appeared level with gravel pads. The bathrooms were reasonable. There are several trails in the campground plus it is close to several AT day hikes.

There is a large day-use area and beach with lots of picnic tables. While the beach was closed for swimming, we saw a kayaker and two people fishing from a boat. Many hiking trails and this is an excellent place to camp if you’d like to do AT day hikes.

-------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, we tested the Firebiner and Fiber Light Fire Starter by Outdoor Elements. I’m reviewing both products since they can be used together, and we had much more luck with one than the other.

Upon unpacking my box from Outdoor Elements, my first experience was that it took a sharp knife to free the Firebiner from its cardboard backing, which was not an auspicious start. Once at our campground, we were able to use the safety blade to easily open the plastic packaging on our firewood. Unfortunately, it took several tries by two men trying the Firebiner to get a spark; they had to really crank on it, and it was not enough to light a fire. I’m guessing that with more patience and practice, it would have worked. Admittedly, we are car campers and not backpackers (and have the luxury of being able to carry/use a butane lighter), but I was looking forward to trying a new method.

We did use the Fiber Light Fire Starter and using our tried and true fire-starting methods, we got a roaring fire started very quickly. So, we had a 50% success! Packed in a small tin, you only need a pinch to easily get a fire started so we will use this in the future.

We also used the cutting tool on the Firebiner a few days later to remove the wristband from an activity we participated in and also used it to hang our lantern on a hook; this little tool is very strong (did not test but appreciate the 100-pound weight limit). I appreciate that it can also be used as a screwdriver, so the Firebiner is truly a multi-use tool!