the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Hike In
Pine Grove Furnace State Park is located in Pennsylvania
11 Reviews of Pine Grove Furnace State Park
Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Ranger Review: RoM Pack at Pine Grove Furnace State Park

Campground Review

We stopped at Pine Grove Furnace State Park for a little camping break on a drive to Virginia for a family vacation. What a great spot! We got the last available campsite for the night we stayed - I booked ahead of time by calling the campground office and they were very nice and helpful.

We stayed in site 29. It was nice and level with a large parking pad that could accommodate a camper or trailer. There's also a level tent pad if you are tenting, it, and a picnic table and fire pit. We were right at the intersection near the campground entrance and one of the other loops, but it wasn't noisy at all. The drinking water was right next to our site, which was handy. Bathrooms were close by and were fairly clean, and showers were free. There was firewood for sale at the host site, and the camp host was very friendly.

The park has two lakes for swimming, with a rail trail that separates them, so they are easily bikeable. There are some great trails for running/hiking - the park is the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail! We did a very nice run from our campsite out to the scenic viewpoint on top of Pole Steeple (about 7ish miles). The lake is great to jump in and cool off after a summer run. The park is also just north of the expansive Michaux State Forest, which has miles of trails for ATVs, biking, hiking/running.

The Park also has an old iron furnace (hence the name) with historical information about it. There is an Appalachian trail museum, which was very neat to check out, and the old Ironmaster's Mansion serves as a hostel and event venue. There is a well stocked camp/park store at the entrance.

Cell service is pretty much nonexistent in the campground, so keep this in mind if you can't be out of touch (we had Verizon). We loved our stay here, and would definitely go back.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the RoM Pack by RoM Outdoors. This is a pack that unfolds completely to serve as a blanket, and can also be used as an emergency poncho in inclement weather.

What I liked about the pack:

1. It seems like it would be difficult to unfold and then re-fold back into the pack, but it is actually very easy. I did it once with the instructions, and then was able to do it multiple times after that without them. The instructions were easy to follow.
  2. there is a drawstring bag that comes with the pack, and the two outer pouches are removable as well, so you have a place to put your stuff if you're unfolding the pack.
  3. The material is very thick and durable, and weather resistant. In a prolonged downpour I think it would eventually soak through, but it would offer pretty good protection for a quick shower (or a little snow!)

What I think could be better

1. The sizing - I have a small build, and with the straps tightened all the way it was still very big/loose on me. The material is pretty heavy, so even empty it sagged down some. With anything of substance in the pack it wasn't very comfortable because it pulled away from my back.
  2. When opened as a blanket, the plastic buckles are underneath the material. You have to be careful about what kind of surface you are putting it down on, and I wouldn't walk on it, etc - these definitely have the potential to break.

These packs are a very interesting concept, and I can see a variety of uses, particularly for people who may be out in the woods in one place for an extended period of time and don't need to carry a lot of gear in the bag (hunters come to mind for sure). I don't think this would be comfortable to do any real hiking with, but would make a great picnic bag or bag for festivals or sporting events where you can take your stuff out of it and spread out for the day.

Hike Anyone?

great camping…has an area for swimming on a lake. the Appalachian trail runs right through it and is said to be the middle point of the trail. so you know there is great hiking.

Typical state park

Normal state park facilities. Park has several swimming lakes and Appalachian trail running through it.

Awesome Campground

I have stayed here twice. There is a pet section and a non pet section in this campground. There is also showers and clean bathrooms here. Plenty of trails and attraction to explore. Gettysburg is close enough for a day trip as well as Antetium.

Favorite state park campground

This campground is far enough away from home but at the same time close enough for a weekend camping trip. Nice level spots for RVs. A pet area as well as a non-pet area. A lake with a beach, as well as being close to the AT. Close to Gettysburg as well.

So close

Only 20-30 min from my house. Who can go just that far and have a beach, camp site, trails and water?!?! Love this place. So awesome