THE BEST CAMPING IN
Maryland
Camping Maryland

Maryland is known for its sun-drenched shores, fishing and boating; camping in and around the Chesapeake Bay delivers on those promises. But Maryland packs a remarkable variety of other adventure options too, including rugged mountains in the north and west and the pastoral hills of Central Maryland. As a plus, the thrills and relaxation provided by camping in Maryland are all within easy access of historic towns and the big cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

Maryland’s beaches have long been a popular family vacation destination. Not far from the bustling Ocean City, campers can find restful fishing and swimming and beautiful ocean sunrises on Assateague Island, a 37-mile strip of sand and marsh where wild horses roam. Find dozens more options for waterfront camping in Maryland on the Eastern Shore in the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Generations of watermen there have harvested blue crabs, oysters, clams, rockfish and their towns retain their red-bricked charm.

Another popular way to see Maryland is to bike or walk parts of old towpath for the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The 184.5 miles of easy, shaded trail follows the Potomac River, passing through dozens of historic lockhouses, the breathtaking Great Falls, and historic towns like Harper’s Ferry to connect Washington, D.C. to Cumberland, Maryland. Campers can find sites every few miles.

Mountain lovers can also find camping in Maryland along the remnants of the greater Appalachian range. These sites offer easy access to viewpoints and waterfalls, including the tallest in the state, the 78-foot Cunningham Falls. Sugarloaf Mountain is a small peak south of Frederick, Maryland with a Civil War history that now offers far-reaching vistas on the surrounding vineyards and forests to hikers, rock climbers and campers. Find more options for camping in Maryland’s mountains or beaches on The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Maryland
Cool, Family oriented

Well maintained

Nice hiking & fishing areas around with gorges views

Not recommend for big loud groups.

Always a great time

Have been going here since 2001. Always and enjoyable time and my kids have grown up but they still enjoy going.

So worth it

This is such an amazing place to take a family for vacation. Club Castaways is the place to be here, though. The campground is a bit crowded and lively outside Club Castaways but it is still an amazing place for how close you are to the water. Bayfront campground, can see Ocean City lit up at night. Such a beautiful place to stay.

Not a campground

Not a campground but an office. Very nice and helpful people!

I love this place

I love this place. It’s hard to get a spot here tho you have to book early! Water was cold the bathrooms wasn’t very clean! I stayed ocean side walk in. We park and drag all your items in for tent camping. FYI you can have a fire right on the beach!

The Perfect campground

Title says it all! Great location, the friendliest and most helpful staff, beautiful surroundings, lots to do, kid and pet friendly

Love castaways

A beautiful and very well maintained campground. Friendly people, good sized sites, plenty to do. Kid friendly!

Perfect!

Perfect site for the family or if you just want to be out for the night. The hike to the falls is not too far and the lake is nearby too. Really close to Route 15 so you can grab everything you need on the way or run out really quick if you forgot something!

A new favorite camping spot

Beautiful campground. The bathrooms were nicer than my bath at home and sparkling clean. Staff was amazingly pleasant and helpful. The campground was quiet and peaceful. The park had so much to explore, kayaking, hiking, fishing, beach access via kayak; we could have easily spent a week there. I was worried before arriving because other reviewers complained about the bugs. We were there mid July and the bugs weren’t bad at all, a few mosquito bites, and the biting flies were kept at bay by cutter. We will definitely be back. The kayaking alone is worth the trip.

Love this place!

It's just great! Nice and quiet, no hookups, but nice surroundings!

Clean

Tight spots but very big and clean park. Great for camping if u want to go into Washington DC.

Lovely scenery

No hookups but wow the views! And if course the wild horses are amazing.

Campground is a little outdated and where the overnight people are is separated from the seasonal people the closest bathhouse is a 10 min walk from where we were the portapotty they had down near the overnighters ( where we where ) smelled horrendous I could not have imagined camping next to it but people did the only plus is they have a swimming pool and pond and it’s very laidback and quiet

Outdated

This was a great campground when I was a kid. But the sites need updating as they are very small, hard to negotiate a modest sized modern camper into, and the campground floods easily following a heavy rain. The water park is lots of fun and though you are close to ocean city you really have no need to leave the park with all the entertaining events they have.

Club Castaway is the spot to be

A majority of the park is a mix of sandy sites sparsely covered by crabgrass and sand spurs. But there’s a gem… the club Castaway area is an extra gated spot on the water with grassy sites and level paved pads. The area had a private dock for fishing and crabbing and the sunrise is a must see from the deck. You pay for this view but it’s worth it.

Ranger Review: Ice Mule Pro at Assateague Island

Camping at Assateague State Park

Assateague Island is a national park located in Maryland that offers plenty of beach camping and hiking trails. I decided to camp on the Oceanside walk-in which is means that we had to walk from the parking lot about 200 ft to our camping area. They also offer camping areas you can drive up to as well as areas that are on the bayside of the beach. Our reserved spot on the beach included a fire ring and a picnic table and the perfect beginning to a great week of camping. During our time we were able to do some hiking along the 37 mile long park, kayak on the ocean, and Bay, see some wild ponys that rove the park, and enjoy the very clean facilities that the park offered. The Island is not far from Ocean City either if you wish to go to the Board walk which we did experience one night. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to camp along the water and listen to the waves hitting the shoreline however booking must be done in advance as reservations fill up very fast every season.

Link: https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/marylandcamping.htm

Ice mule Pro XL

The Icemule Pro XL was great at what it was advertised for, which is keeping items cold. My Icemule was able to keep all the ice in its solid state for about 16 hours while sitting on the hot beach(90+ degree Fahrenheit) before melting to ice cold water. Once melted though the water stayed ice cold for roughly 30 hours. This was great because I didn’t have to refill the ice every day. The cooler was very popular with the crowds as multiple beach goers and friends would stop and ask me where I got it as they thought the design and concept of having a wearable backpack cooler was very neat. While the cooler did its job and the design was a good concept I found that it was very heavy when filled to its max. I do not believe that ordering the Icemule XXL would be realistic based off of this. Another issue I found was that packing drinks had to be done logistically in that you would have to put drinks, then ice, then add more drinks, and ice on top of that. Instead of a normal cooler where you would pack all of the drinks then pour the ice on top. This was an issue because many of my friends wanted to add some of there drinks to the cooler after I had already added the ice. None the less the drinks still stayed cool with the coolers cooling material. As mentioned I used this product while camping on the beach for a week and then used it again while watching some fireworks on the 4th of July and while the cooler did hold up the coolers back pack straps already had torn after about 10 uses. One final thing I found unfortunate was how the cooler closed. In my personal opinion Folding the opening of the cooler and buckling it was very tedious and many of my friends who used it wouldn’t go through the trouble of closing it. A regular cooler is easy to close in seconds where this takes a little more time and work. In the end it is a good cooler if you are looking for something portable and hands free but it is not something to use if you don’t have a strong back.

Link: https://icemulecoolers.com/products/the-icemule-pro-x-large

Back roads and solitude

This is a neat little spot to get away for the weekend. Very desolate camping spots, remote and large enough for groups. Highly recommend!

Complete solitude

This place is the definition of secluded. Almost all 100 campsites in the forest are 1/2 mile apart and they are pretty massive. Bare bones explains the park, because the sites only include a picnic table and fire pit. It’s just you and nature out there. No camp stores, bathrooms, or visitor areas. You can register during or after hours at the camp headquarters and pay $10 per night for the site of your choice. It’s a pretty excellent area as far as terrain too. Lots of deep valleys and lookout points. The area also features areas on rivers and canals. This campground has something for every nature lover.

Actually a 10!!!

This is a campers dream site.  Everything you can think of is offered here.  You have to check their website to see all.  This is the closest site to Washington DC.  Great location with access to all forms of transportation.  Store fully stocked to include groceries.   Two pools. Hot tub.   Play areas to include a game room and miniature golf.  Pets are pampered here.  Even dog walking service available.

Will visit again

Site was well maintained and very clean. Bathrooms were clean with showers and wash stations. Great views of the bay and beaches. Very well stocked camp store.

We saw bald eagles and great blue heron.

Only minor drawbacks being; the pad for pitching tents seemed to have poured concrete a few inches down, making it tough to stake anything down. RV sites mixed in with tents so the sound of generators was pretty constant, but it was a scorching weekend, so might not be so bad in cooler days.

Beautiful Park!

Great campsites and trails!

Camped here twice - tent and RV

I've camped here twice, once with a small group of friends in tents for a weekend in late October around Halloween, and once on a snowy December weekend in an RV. Facilities are nice, sites were a decent size and I liked that they were pretty well wooded and so somewhat private. During the October trip there were a lot of families with kids, and it was cool because people decorated their sites for Halloween. During the December trip there really weren't many other campers at all, which was nice, but there were a few people with poorly mannered off-leash dogs, which was frustrating for us and our dog.

There's lots to see around the campground. There's a short walk to a pier that takes you to the water where you can get some great photos of the landscape and some wildlife; various nature trails to hike; and we also went to the Point Lookout Lighthouse. There are also some Confederate/Civil War sites but we skipped those. There's a park store at 10560 Point Lookout Rd on the way to/from the Lighthouse which has toiletries and other necessities you may have forgotten, plus snacks and drinks.

Great for families and variety

This park just is near enough to Baltimore and DC to allow for a quick getaway and offers a lot to do. There are trails in the park you can hike, run and bike; the lake is small but you can paddle and fish; and, nearby you'll find some great sections of the Appalachian Trail.

The camping spots accommodate large tents if needed and the showers are hot.

Be aware: no alcohol in Maryland parks.

Ranger Review: LiquidI.V. Hydration Multiplier at Final-Lee Here Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: Nestled within the beautiful greenery of Huntingtown, Maryland, this campground offers heart, scenery, and access to numerous adventures. The grounds are a short drive to Washington D.C. parks and museums, as well as the Chesapeake Beach Water Park, or North Beach's beautiful new pier and Friday night Farmers Market including local art vendors and food trucks. Kings Landing Park is just a few minutes from Final-Lee Here, which offers hiking and equestrian trails, picnic areas, disc golf, swimming pool, fishing, and a launch for kayaks, canoes, or paddle boards.

Final-Lee Here Campground offers its own beauty. As a long planned and awaited dream coming true, Connie and Ken Lee are using their gorgeous property to harbor a love for the outdoors in their family as well as those who visit. The land is well groomed with grassy, shaded tent sites, RV sites, tall, privacy-offering bamboo, evergreens (it's a tree farm), and forested trails to a soothing, water-trickling creek.

The campground has several tent sites, and some are big enough to hold multiple tents for bigger gatherings. Sites offer tables, chairs, and a fire pit. Hot showers are available in a very nice outdoor tent set up. A potty chair, along with wet wipes and trashbags are available for use, or you can just use the outdoorsman's method ;). The Lees gave us plenty of firewood, offered dry wood after storms came through, and even offered to bring us fresh eggs from their chickens. (The rooster brought smiles as it welcomed our mornings with hearty salutes.) There is a small zip line for kids and you may request games such as cornhole, horseshoes, or Yardzee to play. The Lees also rent and transport single and double kayaks or canoes to Kings Landing for a minimal fee.

On Friday, my teenage daughter and I took a trip to the Chesapeake Beach Water Park (I would recommend this for younger children, checking the internet for discounts) and we cruised the North Beach antique shops, pier and farmers market. Saturday was well planned for adventure, but out-of-the-blue storms hit hard. After breakfast, we kayaked the river and creek through beautiful marshlands where we saw caterpillars walk on water, a heron and bald eagles soaring above, turtles, a cove where thousands of tadpoles were amidst metamorphosis (having both tails and legs) scampering through and atop the water, and a multitude of dragonflies. We stopped at a Kings Landing dock, hydrated ourselves and ate our packed lunch. Dark clouds began rolling in and we paddled back to the boat launch, texting the Lee's to meet us for boat pick up. We had planned to hike and swim while at the park, but instead headed for our tent during the storm surges. Once the storms passed, we adventured onto the campground trails. One trail, though very well groomed, was steep, heading to the creek. We avoided it due to the wet conditions, and found other trails leading to the creek which were easier to maneuver. The creek was so peaceful. I would have loved to have more time here just taking it all in, but evening and another storm came upon us.

I highly recommend this campground based on its heart and available opportunities. The Lees are absolutely wonderful and truly want their visitors to enjoy the outdoors and their stay. The only "con" I came across was the toileting situation. My teen daughter is not much on the outdoors, so the portable toilet and the natural method option were too weird and uncomfortable for her.

PRODUCT REVIEW: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I receive products to test from time to time - during this trip, I tested LiquidI.V. Hydration Multiplier. It is an electrolyte drink mix you add to a water bottle or 16 oz. of water. We tried the sampler pack. My favorite flavor is acai berry, and my daughter enjoyed the lemon-lime. Though we tried to remain hydrated, setting up camp and kayaking in the heat left us truly parched. Adding the LiquidI.V. to our water seemed to rejuvenate. Both my daughter and I feel that a whole "stick" seem to be overwhelming in one water bottle, but using half to 3/4 of a packet brought tasty hydration. I'm very picky when it comes to aftertastes, hating all fake sweeteners; however, this is made with pure cane sugar, and leaves your mouth satisfied. That is pretty rare! (Note: the passion fruit flavor left a slight aftertaste to me.) Additionally, my girlfriend and son tried some of our LiquidI.V. and loved it as well. This was great to have on hand!

Great June weekend

Our site was Deer Run loop # 111 but there was NO way we could back our small 18’ RV around the tree in the way (though this was just our 3rd trip with an RV). We switched to site 110 which was no problem. Very sparsely populated, it was near empty. Acorn Trail and Deer Run have electric. Water spigots were difficult to find in our loop but there’s a filling station near the sewer dump (don’t listen to the gal in the camp store, it’s there). We reserved our site just 2 or 3 days prior with lots of site choices. It’s buggy so bring whatever works for you. It rained twice but nothing was flooded or even very wet so good drainage at our site. The electric went out for about 3 hours in the middle of the night during a storm but the storm cooled things down. They offer canoe and kayak rentals and there’s a great pool! Bath house was beautiful but only 2 showers and one didn’t work on our last night there. We drove to the marina bath house instead. The store is nice as were the staff. Take bikes, it’s fairly level throughout. We went to Assateague State Park beach about a 30 min. drive. It was $4 a person in state / $6 for out of state. Terrible bath house really but great beach! Camp is near the town of Snow Hill which is a small town walkable place with quaint stores. I would stay here again!

Great park and campsites

I stayed in a primitive campsite and loved it. Campsites are far apart and have the standard fire pit and picnic table. No bathrooms.

Quiet and Quaint

Enjoyed our 3 night stay , would prefer a little more privacy but everyone was friendly . Overall a very pleasant experience

Family friendly

Lots of family activities

Very clean

Friendly staff

Just average

Stayed over Memorial day, enjoyed the pool and the beach was nice. It could use some maintenance. We were surprised that by Memorial Day the grad wasn't cut, many long term camore's cut their own. Overhead lights were out all over the site. Some of the grills had rotted through and were not usable, just eyesores. A few maintenance upgrades and I would have rated it higher. It's in a great location, so it has that going for it.

Great family spot

They have a nice area for kids (pool, playground, jumping pillow, basketball courts, giant chess, etc). If you get an area to back into it’ll be more secluded, but the pull through spots offer no privacy. We enjoyed our stay. We would come again.