The best camping in
Maryland

Camping Maryland

Maryland is known for its sun-drenched shores, fishing and boating; camping in and around the Chesapeake Bay delivers on those promises. But Maryland packs a remarkable variety of other adventure options too, including rugged mountains in the north and west and the pastoral hills of Central Maryland. As a plus, the thrills and relaxation provided by camping in Maryland are all within easy access of historic towns and the big cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

Maryland’s beaches have long been a popular family vacation destination. Not far from the bustling Ocean City, campers can find restful fishing and swimming and beautiful ocean sunrises on Assateague Island, a 37-mile strip of sand and marsh where wild horses roam. Find dozens more options for waterfront camping in Maryland on the Eastern Shore in the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Generations of watermen there have harvested blue crabs, oysters, clams, rockfish and their towns retain their red-bricked charm.

Another popular way to see Maryland is to bike or walk parts of old towpath for the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. The 184.5 miles of easy, shaded trail follows the Potomac River, passing through dozens of historic lockhouses, the breathtaking Great Falls, and historic towns like Harper’s Ferry to connect Washington, D.C. to Cumberland, Maryland. Campers can find sites every few miles.

Mountain lovers can also find camping in Maryland along the remnants of the greater Appalachian range. These sites offer easy access to viewpoints and waterfalls, including the tallest in the state, the 78-foot Cunningham Falls. Sugarloaf Mountain is a small peak south of Frederick, Maryland with a Civil War history that now offers far-reaching vistas on the surrounding vineyards and forests to hikers, rock climbers and campers. Find more options for camping in Maryland’s mountains or beaches on The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Maryland
Hidden Gem

Very nice campground with beautiful sites, clean facilities, and friendly staff! Wonderful place!

Nice stop over

Quiet, peaceful spot. We had level pull thru gravel lot. Nice sized lots. Game room, exercise room, laundry room, mini golf, pond to fish

Perfect camping weekend!

The days were beautiful and relaxing!

Nicest people

Stayed there this weekend Thursday through Sunday. Original reservation was Fri-Sun, but they were calling for 60 mph wind gusts Friday, and no one was in my spot so I went in a day ahead. Good thing, because the wind was crazy!! Power outage at a lot of the campground Friday night due to a tree down on the power lines. My section kept power, so I was happy. When I went to leave on Sunday, as I was driving up an incline my trailer became unhitched from my tow vehicle. The whole hitch came off and the trailer was dragging by the chains! The owners husband kindly helped me get it jacked up and gave me his trailer hitch pin. Nicest guy, he was so calming, and obviously I was pretty stressed out. I really loved my site and the trip was wonderful with the exception of this mishap. I would totally recommend this campground!!! A big shout out to Lenny! Thanks Lenny!

Great spot to explore

We found this campground by chance and we were so glad we did! Sites are level and spacious and grounds were clean. Rangers were very helpful as we went from a 1 night stay to a 3 night weekend, they were always available to help. Great trails, fishing, and disc golf at the park, and an arboretum around the corner. Great place for families.

Wild, Windy & Sandy- As Expected!

We camped in the walk-in sites toward the end (south side) of the ocean side sites. You park along side the road and walk on a boardwalk to your site. Depending on site, you will have to walk on sand to get there as well. Bring a beach wagon!

Toilets are vault and showers are cold water beach showers (not full closure- open on the bottom) which would be fine in the summer but were a bit chilly when we went on a cool few days in April.

No dish washing station- to be expected- but we witnessed a few pple washing dishes under the water source and dumping there - making for a large puddle of gross water- not cool.

Some sites are on the beach, and you can position your tent to be on the dune looking at the water- some are inland a bit more but still a very short walk to the beach. Some you camp on sand (obviously) some of the inland sites have intermittent grass. I’ve heard bugs are bad in warmer months (naturally)- no mosquitos when we were there in April.

We drove through the bay side camp sites and these looked great too- the calm-watered bay side looked nice for wading & playing for small kids. There is some shade here vs none in ocean side. It’s a short walk or drive to the ocean.

BRING STAKES FOR SAND AND GUY YOUR TENT. I witnessed many collapsed tents while I was there. One sun shade that flew away.

Wild horses = piles of horse poop everywhere. Wasn’t a problem, just walk around them. Keep snacks in a locked cooler. The horses came for my 3 yo who was eating snacks while loading up the car. They aren’t messing around!

We saw many horses on ocean side & bay side. Watch out for a brown pony named Chip. The rangers & volunteers were very friendly & great at keeping tabs on the horses.

The beach shack store across from the ranger station near the entrance offered a surprisingly large selection of items.

Clean & Beautiful

This campground/park was nice, clean and beautiful. Friends stayed in a super cute cabin & we stayed at RV site.  Both great.

Quiet and friendly

Lots of residents and seasonal campers. Great sunsets, quiet, easy Nanticoke river access. Great no frills campground, little beachy area, fishing and crabbing.

Well if you need a place?!

Can’t remember our lot # we were a lot away from the gate, it was used a lot and all night long. People working in DC using the campground as their residence, leaving 5ish because of traffic to be encountered. Well hopped up diesel pickups, non-baffled Harley exhausts. Our camper is incredibly quiet so we closed the windows a slept. 60% were long term residents of the campground. Our sight was one of the few semi- isolated.

A great local getaway

We spent our first weekend with out popup and first camping experience with a 2yo here so we would be near home “just in case.” We had a blast and will definitely be back soon!

I was worried that being at the site where both loops met would be bothersome but it was really pleasant.