the dyrt
About Caledonia State Park
Caledonia State Park is located in Pennsylvania
7 Reviews of Caledonia State Park
Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Neighbors so close but beautiful woods

Nice big sites but the neighbors were right on top of you so it was kind of crowded. Lots of kids and folks partying until late, but I think it was peak camping season there. The fireflies were amazing and there were few mosquitoes even in mid-July. If you have kids and like to camp it's a great place to let them roam.

hiking!!

lots of trails for hiking, beautiful lake and scenery.

synchronous fireflies!

we chose this park for the nice pool (short walk from campsites) but loved the synchronous firefly show we saw in July! sites didn’t have much privacy and bathrooms were small and outdated, although adequate. showers were found at only 1 or 2 of the facilities. beautiful place!

Not the best spot

We visited this park in December so it was pretty closed down. We were hoping to stay here for a night en route from Antietam Battlefield to Gettysburg. We arrived once the sun had gone down and the park was poorly lit (by which I mean there was no lighting at all, not even at the little information kiosk) and nearly impossible to navigate. Every turn led to a dead end or closed gate with little to no signage pointing us toward the part of the park that was actually open.

While driving around in the dark looking for our campsite we passed numerous vehicles parked on the side of the road. People were just sitting in vehicles in the dark, no clue what they were up to or why they were just sitting there. The campground had one other RV there and no other equipment at sites so those vehicles on the roadside were not people actually staying in the park.

Honestly, as two women alone with our dogs we didn't feel comfortable enough to stay at the park given our experience driving in. We did stay at another PA state park the following night and though relatively empty, it was more welcoming and a park ranger was even present checking on folks. If I were in the area again, perhaps at a different time of year, I might try this place out again. In my opinion, if you're going to remain open in the off season it would be nice if the section that is open appear a bit more welcoming. This doesn't have to be a human presence or even a bunch of lights on. But there should be some sign of life to welcome those staying in the facility.

Pretty, but can get crowded

Great location. Excellent spot to get to some nice short hikes or the AT. Awesome views and easy access to the blue mountains. Lots of decent amenities, flush toilets, power. But with that brings more crowded sites with more people always coming and going…

Access to the AT

The greatest feature of this park is that there is access to the AT! And there are plenty of hiking trails! I do not care for the campsites. The size is not to bad but they are in need of some grooming. I would return for day use but I probably would not camp there again. Happy Camping!!