Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, MARYLAND
Camping Maryland Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Most Recent Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park Camping Reviews
Awesome little public campground!

The campsites are located along the Potomac River and between the C&O Canal. Flat campsites, Fire rings & pubic well. Very affordable. One can walk to Shepherdstown, WV for some fun. Antietam creek is very close by and is perfect for tubing or just enjoy the river & nature from your campsite!

Nice family campground

We choose this campground due to its location near an event we were attending. It was last minute and the owner was amazingly accommodating! I called Friday to see about one of the 2 cabins for that weekend and he went to look and offered to call me back. We stayed 2 nights in the smaller cabin (12x8). We affectionately called it our She-shed but it had everything we would need for a quick trip. There are 2 twin beds, a small fridge with freezer, trash can, microwave, coffee pot and AC. Outside there was a picnic table, grill, fire pit and wood available for sale. At the time we were there it was $5 a bundle. The cabin does not have water but he offered to add a splitter to the nearby spigot but we had brought our camping jug. The owners are friendly and fast! They were quick to accommodate any requests and checked on us as we were cleaning up to check out to ask if we needed anything. The camp ground has a dump station, sites with electric and water, primitive sites for tents, access to the river, bathrooms, showers, ice and a playground. There is a barn which housed a pavilion for events and a large expanse of grass for the kids to play. Everyone was really friendly and we had a great time. I definitely recommend a stay if you're in the area.

Great for little ones

A group of 4 families visited this lovely quiet spot.

Pros: Quiet Lovely little hike for young kids right out of the camp site Close to DC so am easy drive Handicap accessible Lovely little boardwalk to a small creak past a saw mill

Cons: Bathroom was just so-so. I prob wouldn’t want to shower there but - your are camping!

Along the canal...

This park is about half way on a trip form NC to NY I take and it is a great way to split a long day into two nice days.

Fifteen Mile Creek is part of the larger C&O Canal park. If I remember correctly it winds its way for about 150 miles. For this portion, at least, the campground is good and the tow path along the canal is great for a run and quite scenic. There are spots along the canal for through hikers and bikers to camp and various drive up spots.

About the campground:

- 6 or 8 campsites reservations are a good idea

- picnic tables and grills / fire rings

- two pit toilets

- no showers

It is right next to a boat launch and parking lot.

More info

Beautiful Area, Not Crazy About The Lake

I LOVE Catoctin Mountain Park in general!! The trails are well-kept and the scenery remains as natural as possible (I hate it when you go to some parks and it looks forced or man-made).

The Houck area is pretty wide-spread with sites ranging from dispersed walk-in to camping by the lake. There’s pretty much something for everyone.

But, let’s talk about the lake for a sec… Hunting Creek Lake is a 75 acre man-made lake near Cunningham Falls. Ironically, all the streams and creeks in the area couldn’t make a sufficient lake, therefore one was created. It’s labeled as great for boating, kayaking, and fishing. There were even paddle boats available. It’s quite picturesque from the get-go.

But, once we got in, I have to admit I was thoroughly disgusted. I love swimming in natural water features, but this kinda creeped me out. There was all sorts of algae and growth in the water. We would hit pockets and cold and warm water, which felt like you were walking through someone’s urine — there wasn’t much circulation or movement of the water, so it gets stagnant-feeling. Not to mention the abrupt drop-off when you enter into the lake. Nothing natural feeling about this place.

I give the park 5 stars, but the lake only gets 3, if that.

Great resort-style cabin for “glamping!”

Well-appointed, semi-rustic cabins set in Catoctin Mountain. Not far from the Wm. Houck lake area and trailhead to Cunningham Falls.

Our cabin came equipped with A/C and heat, full kitchenette, fireplace, screened in porch, and firepit area (including wood and fire starters!) with seating and picnic table.

Ole Mink Farm is very resort-like with a central pool and clubhouse. They also offer various activities — mainly on weekends — like cornhole tournaments and campfire gatherings.

And I can’t say enough about the customer service!! They take hospitality to whole new levels! We ran into a couple personal snags on our trip, and they were so accommodating. Even when my Mom got sick, they checked in on us and asked about her by name. What a wonderful group of owners!

If you want to “glamp,” I would HIGHLY recommend this place!

Biggest dump I have visited

We have been full timing since June 17, 2019. I have stayed at 13 sites since then and this by far is the absolute most disgusting site I have ever visited. We were in and out in less than an hour.

The sites were run down, filthy, old mats on the ground, picnic tables so bad and warped that you couldn’t eat on them and the fire pit was full of stuff! Other words the site was not cleaned after the previous people left!

When I went up to office to get a credit back they acted so rude and still charged us a cancellation fee!

This is our “home base”

Love love love this campground. Activities for the kids, diner with a great breakfast selection and subs and pizza for dinner. Very clean facilities. Great staff. Delivery of wood or ice to your site. You can get a site along the creek where you can tube or kayak (they rent them out here)! Close to Antitiem battlefield, vineyards, antiques or even DC (1 hour). At Halloween they have a great haunted house.

Amaaaazing

Great campground and staff! Staff even came and opened up the firewood for me after their 7pm cut off when I called the “emergency” number. Always quiet and peaceful. Third time staying there!

Great Time

Even with the pavilion out of commission, my son and I had a great time! Very clean, great bath houses. Nice staff and everything you need right there!

Close to history and so much to do, family oriented

Campground has so many activities for active families. Pool,  swing sets, hosted events and theme nights and weekends. Sites are large enough for 2 tents, many Rv and seasonal rentals one main bath house and very clean potable potties scattered throughout the area. Small creek runs at the end of the grounds.. Very close to so much history, close to downtown Gettysburg with sight seeing tours offered for the battlefields, shopping and dining close by.

Great for parties

It’s a pretty small campground and the sites are close together but it’s very quaint and everything is easy to get to. They provide a good sized pool along with a little store. There’s is a pond for fishing and a playground for kids. This campground I would say is more for campers with little experience.

Good family camping

They offer plenty of activities for kids and adults. Boating, swimming, hiking, a nature center that offers educational classes, gift shop, basketball court, multiple playgrounds, and also have pavilions for parties. Bathrooms are provided with showers, the site are typically pretty close together so there’s not too much privacy, but it’s a good family spot with lots of activities.

So much space

I stayed at Cuningham Falls State Park a few weeks ago and the campground was very good with lots to do hikes, swimming etc. But last night I stayed at same state forest but 4 miles away the Cunningham Falls State Park Manor Area.  I haven't seen this much space between campsites in a long time.  The place was clean, paved roads, great price and very quiet.  If you have kids or like to talk to other people go to the original campground but if you perfer quiet and your own little piece of the woods go to the Manor Area.  It was August 1st and the bugs were minimal and there is a visitor station and aviary but I wasn't able to see them.

Excellent Campground

Its my first camping trip since boy scouts when I was a kid. The sites are nice, the bathrooms are clean, the lake was great to swim and canoe in. Also like that each loop has a host who supplies fire wood for a nominal price and provide any help you may need. I plan to come here every year, God willing.

Close to Antietam Battlefield and a Winery!

Went to this state park early July for 3 nights. We had a terrible storm going on when we were to arrive so I called and the office was very friendly and helpful. He put my mind at ease about arriving too late. Our site was relatively easy to get into but many sites were angled, sloped, and looked like they'd be best for a tent. Our site was private and kind of faced away from most other sites. There was a hiking trail behind us that led to the lake. The park has a lake with a swimming area roped off and guarded and camp store and marina where you can rent kayaks and canoes. While hilly, it would be a great bike riding area if you want a work out. Bathhouse was adequate, Not particularly dirty but not super clean. Only 2 showers in the ladies room. Campground hosts were around every day and super helpful. t was close to Antietam Battlefield and Antietam Creek Winery which had live music and allowed our dog to come in. There were some live reenactors at the battlefield and a great car audio tour you can get from the visitor center. I would go again!

Great family-friendly place

We stayed on a site on the Hickory loop. Good site with fireplace. The bathrooms were a short walk and in good order. Also a sink for washing dishes. Some road noise overnight (there’s a highway) but a peaceful and pleasant area. The lake is good for swimming and there’s great hiking. Friendly and helpful rangers and nice camp hosts in Hickory as well. A long drive from DC for us but well worth it.

Much more than camping (for better or worse)

The grounds are nice, and the sites pretty well taken care of. They are fairly close together, but he had a site (site #193 in Gum Loop) that was against a hill and had enough greenery for us. But, atop that big hill, we could see another loop of sites above us so seclusion is at a minimum.

There are sites by the lake, but they are reserved many months in advance.

The check-in process was superlative - they had two windows open, and moved us right through.

Here's the thing: the lake is beautiful, and we kayaked around it and it was wonderful. But along with that comes the golf course, and the amphitheater, and the activities which for my tastes is too much.

Admittedly our trip may have been subjected to more noise than most because there was a concert at the amphitheater - but it our site wasn't anywhere close to the concert, and still it was mid 90s hip-hop just reverberating throughout the grounds.

A good park, with a lovely lake, but I won't be returning due to the mixed company and mixed use.

Peace and quiet!

This is a great campground! It is about a mile hike-in. They have wheelbarrows you can borrow to help bring in your stuff from the car. There are pit toilets and non potable water available as well as firewood when you get to the campground. The campsites are pretty secluded and spaced out so you have some privacy. It is so peaceful and quiet! Lots of great hiking to do in the area. When we were there they were having a historical reenactment near the visitors center that was so cool! We came in August and it was super hot, but that is just Virginia. Lots of friendly staff and campers there.

Super Rad Spot

We stayed here for a night - I was meeting up with family so they were able to accommodate us by making sure we had a big enough spot for two cars. PLUS she goes out of her way to make sure all the kids/families are next to each other. Really cute community camping feeling. Small campground but it was still quite with every site filled. Will totally come back!

Always a great time

Have been going here since 2001. Always and enjoyable time and my kids have grown up but they still enjoy going.

Wonderful AT thru hiker stop

Our family stayed at this cabin on a camping/driving trip down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were driving a long way that day and wanted to stay in something that was not as rustic as car camping and not as fancy as a cheap motel room. This spot fit the bill perfectly. The owners were super flexible about us getting in after dark and let us rent out the entire space, which included a kitchen, sitting room and upstairs bunk room which could hold 6 people. We were also allowed to bring our dog. They had food in the freezer like pizza and other stuff for sale. There are a ton of resources on the AT in the cabin. We also met some hikers on their way to Maine as the trail is only 150 yds away.

There is a fancier B&B Victorian house on the property that has been restored and also reasonably priced. While we were there we saw that they were fixing up more areas of the house to accommodate guests and the renovations are lovely and in keeping with the history of the main house.

The little cabin where we stayed was perfectly charming and set us up to camp our way down through Shenandoah NP and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were able to dry out our gear from previous night's rain and relax. Highly recommended for a glamping stop .

Perfect!

Perfect site for the family or if you just want to be out for the night. The hike to the falls is not too far and the lake is nearby too. Really close to Route 15 so you can grab everything you need on the way or run out really quick if you forgot something!

Great little campground

Wonderful little spot. Pam was very accommodating and nice! Most of the spots pull up near the creek and have a picnic table and fire pit with a grill.

Very clean and quiet

I have been here 2 times now it is normally members only but we did the tour and got free camping to stay here very clean and a lot to do

Great little campground.

Took my 8yr old there this past weekend. His 1st time camping and he loved it. The staff was great from beginning to end. Clean facilities and sites. They took us up river and dropped us so we could kayak back. Their store had everything that we had forgotten with good prices. Check this place out, you won’t be disappointed.

Back roads and solitude

This is a neat little spot to get away for the weekend. Very desolate camping spots, remote and large enough for groups. Highly recommend!

Complete solitude

This place is the definition of secluded. Almost all 100 campsites in the forest are 1/2 mile apart and they are pretty massive. Bare bones explains the park, because the sites only include a picnic table and fire pit. It’s just you and nature out there. No camp stores, bathrooms, or visitor areas. You can register during or after hours at the camp headquarters and pay $10 per night for the site of your choice. It’s a pretty excellent area as far as terrain too. Lots of deep valleys and lookout points. The area also features areas on rivers and canals. This campground has something for every nature lover.

A mixed bag

The staff are very polite and helpful. The sites are shaded with mature trees. They have a pool, put put golf, a good general store, and a café/snack shack. The hookups are oddly spaced and you need to ensure you have extentions handy. My electric hookup didn't work on 30A. The bath house needs cleaning more regularly. If they invested a little bit on upkeep this would be an awesome place.

Stunning park

Campsites were well maintained, include bear boxes. The views on the drive through Shenandoah and skyline drive are not to be missed.

Easy access to hiking trails

The bathrooms were not super clean, but doable.