Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Vehicle Length Unknown
Green Ridge State Forest is located in Maryland
18 Reviews of Green Ridge State Forest
Great place to stay

Me and the wife had a great trip there in late October nice and quiet outdoor gun range was fun we stayed at site 17 it was very nice

Secluded but convenient.

We stayed at campsite #1 off of 15 mile creek Road. Only a mile or so from I68. Great cell and internet reception with AT&T. We have a 25’ travel trailer and most places we scouted we probably couldn’t take it. Site 2 looks not too bad but a little less level. Site 6 also seemed like a nice spot for a Rv. Don’t recommend taking a large travel trailer on 15 mile creek Rd south of I68. Lots of S turns and pretty steep for my skills. Loved it!

Beautiful camping area near DC

This is a great but very crowded camping area. Clearly a favorite of many DC area campers. We arrived on a Friday around 6 and found every campsite full. We ended up at an overflow site. Get there early if at all possible! And if it’s mostly full, look for breaks in the brush where other cats have pulled off. There are usually fire pits to be found near them. Campsites are well-distanced from each other. We did not hear others while we were there.

Additionally, this is not a great campground for cars that are low to the ground— the roads are gravelly, potholed, and very slow to navigate in a passenger vehicle with low clearance.

The area is gorgeous! Beautiful mountains and nature. Lots of critters and plants to check out.

Bring your own water— none available as far as I could tell. There was a creek a few hundred feet from our site, but it was too steep to get to for bathing or washing dishes (we tried).

Sites vary in distance from the road. Our overflow site was far enough that we could see the cars but not so close that them going by woke us. We could also hear nose from the interstate, but it fades into the background after a couple hours. We estimated we were 1/4 mile from the interstate as the crow flies.

There are fun activities nearby as well. We saw the tunnel at Paw Paw and went to Cumberland. You can apparently rent kayaks from a man nearby, but he prefers to take groups. Drop by his store the day before to see if you can get in on the action.

Major con outweighs all the pros

The forest is beautiful & every site is very nicely set up & well distanced from each other. I say this just from what we saw driving by. We drove around for at least 2 hours looking for a spot, finally gave up & made our own. The system definitely needs major improvements. Just incredibly & unnecessarily frustrating.

We got lucky! 🍀

My boyfriend and I planned a roadtrip on a whim & we happened upon Green Ridge State Forest. We were not sure what to expect and if we would even find a solid spot, but clearly our last minute planning served us well. The best spots are found at the end of the long road (I recommend traveling 4x4) and offer complete seclusion in nature. This site not only boasts a large space, but a picnic table and fire pit!

Best rough camping in Maryland

Every campsite at Green Ridge SF is worth getting. Some are more hallowed than others, but I’m getting ahead of myself. Green Ridge lies to the western most area of Allegany County. The woods here are teaming with deer, bear, turkey, and hunters (in season of course.) There are no amenities unless you bring it yourself. None of the sites are appropriate for RV’s . Maybe a small camper, but one must remember a good portion of the campsites are reached by notoriously thin and rough roads. For solitude and the price(very cheap) it’s worth bringing a bucket to do your business in, the sites along 15mile creek are the ones that usually go first. There is a small camping loop at the end of Kasekamp road that just reopened due to road washout in 2018. There are a few gem sites that offer nearly complete solitude- your nearest neighbor is at least two miles away. There are no markets nearby and only a couple of small diners- all in the Little Orleans/ Artemas regions. Remember this is bear country and they are around this year in force.

All time favorite campground!

Went back for a second weekend in a row because we just love this place so much! A little bit crazy trying to find a spot with the first come first serve way they're set up and the ranger station is closed because of Covid, but it all worked out!

Absolutely perfect campground!

Totally primitive camping only, first come first serve for getting a site, but it's absolutely gorgeous and a true camping experience!

Unbeatable car camping destination

Green Ridge is the place to go if you’re looking for a rugged, isolated forest. It has 100 primitive drive-up campsites (fire ring and picnic table, no facilities), and countless more “overflow” sites with a fire ring if it happens to be full when you arrive. For me this is the place to go for car camping—bear in mind that some of the back roads are pretty rough so you’ll ideally want a car with decent clearance. There is also backcountry camping with a few shelters on the trails. Camping is $10 per night–if you show up when the ranger station is open the nice folks there will give you a site. They’re pretty knowledgeable and can help you find something that will best suit what you’re looking for. I think there’s self registration if you arrive after hours.

COVID update: in May, and from what I’ve heard since, the ranger station is closed and it’s first come first served throughout the forest. More or less a free for all from my experience in May—you will definitely need a good map with the numbered campsites and suggest downloading offline navigation to your phone.

Photos—campsite #53; overflow site near site #19; backcountry shelter on pine lick trail.

Excellent Camping

I’ve camped at many different spots throughout Green Ridge. Most of them are wonderful spots, with beautiful views, history, or nature nearby. All of them are pretty secluded and have fire pit, and picnic tables.

One time I did have a campsite that was very close to two of the forest roads, and between 10-1 am on a Saturday had a lot of cars driving around. But more times than not it’s very secluded and peaceful.

I do think the system of renting and paying for campsites could be improved via the use of technology. I would love to be able to rent and pay for campsites online, and see which ones were already occupied etc. instead of having to drive out to the headquarters, then to the campsite. Just a minor thing that would be a nice feature.

On Verizon, you can find phone service in a few of the campsites, also there are a lot of sites that are good for hammocks

I’ve attached photos of campsite #6.