Elk Mound, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Elk Mound Camping Reviews
Great summer

We camped here almost all summer. Tons of things to do. Kids playground, golf course right next door, great bathrooms with running water. Large sites with trees for shade!

Camper cabins

This is a really nice campground. The camper cabins are really nice. They have two rooms, a sleeping room and a front room. The sleeping room has 2 bunk beds (4 beds.) The front room has a mini fridge, coffeemaker, toaster, microwave, and a futon. The firepits are well taken care of. It is usually empty when you arrive. There is no.swim beach. The trails and playgrounds are really nice. The bathrooms are heated. The showers are pay showers.

Nice

Great place to go

Awesome Camping Destination

What a great place to visit this time of year (Fall). Falling acorns, frogs and chipmunks chirping, turtles basking in sunlight and more. The owls at night were a treat (sometimes even scary) to listen to.

Clean facilities and nice trails. Next time we’ll bring some kayaks.

Really pleasant

Really nice campground with activities and a BAR/Restaurant. Pool is also there and is nice. We had a great weekend went to bed a little early on Saturday night because of rain and woke up to snow!!!

Nice Walk-In site but bring your bug spray!

Very nice walk-in site right on the river. LOTS of bugs to the point it was uncomfortable so make sure to bring bug spray. Tent pad, fire ring and picnic table available. Trees available that are good for those who hammock.

Camped at Lake Wissota for 3 days. First time there and really liked it. Nice private sites and the beach looked great but it was too cold for swimming. Got in a canoe ride before the rain. No bugs I guess it was too cool. Bath house in bad need of updating which they're planning on but I've been in worse. Awesome park rangers. Did some local site seeing and I highly recommend lunch in Cornell at Dylan's Dairy. Had the best breakfast at Kelly Grill in Stanley across from the old depot. Nice get away despite the rain.

Diamond in the rough

Love it here. Quiet, rustic, well maintained place

Great Campground with Private Sites

You'd never know that your neighbor is super close to you in this campground.  The sites are really private with tall trees and lots of greenery/foliage between each site.  There is a lot to explore in the park.  The bathrooms are decent - we found quite a few bugs and frogs in the bathrooms but we didn't mind.

Fun and Family Friendly Campground

This is an amazing place for families to spend time camping.  There are so many different planned activities for both the children and the adults to participate in.  The campground is always clean and the staff are extremely friendly.  The campsites are huge with plenty of room between you and your neighbors.  You can rent a golf cart to get around the campground.  They have gaga ball, a bounce pillow, an arcade, mini golf, laser tag, swimming pool, skate park, playground, basketball court, volleyball court….the list of amenities goes on and on.  The theme weeks are all fun and well planned out.  You can even order fresh baked donuts on Saturday mornings.  There are even cabins for your non-camping family and friends.  This is one of our favorite campgrounds around.

Great get away near the cities

Stayed at site 31. All campsites are pretty close to each other but they are nice. Bathroom was nice and close to our site, but not too close. Train traffic overnight was a touch annoying.

Hiking trails were well maintained and accessible throughout the campgrounds.

Great views of the river and another trail that we drove to get to- sand point. Worth the drive and hike, bring big spray for this one though- not terrible but noticed bugs here vs at the campground trails.

Beautiful views

Loved this campsite and the views. Very friendly staff.

Very Noisy from frequent train traffic. Wouldn't recommend if light sleeper

This campground has two sections, north and south. The southern portion has been closed all summer because of flooding. We stayed in the north section in site 12, which has a small grassy overflow parking lot across from it. The campground is clean and very open. The campsites are arranged on both sides of a circle drive with trees surrounding the circle and some in the middle.

There is a play ground for the kids, but you need to drive or walk about half mile to 3/4 of a mile to it. It is located at the nature center. During our stay, they had a presentation on birds and our boys really enjoyed it. The park also offers a boat landing, which was clean and easily accessible. You could also bring your boat up to a walk-able landing near the north campground, but this is inaccessible by car. This landing did offer a sand beach, but I don't know that I would recommend swimming here because of algae. During our stay we were also plagued by little black flies, but the mosquitoes weren't bad.

The campground offered very clean restroom facilities with both bathrooms and showers at one end, near where we stayed, and at the other end there was a bathroom that offered pit toilets. You are able to tent camp or bring in a pop up camper or larger pull behind. I'm not sure that a large RV would fit in any of the sites, but a small one definitely would. There are specific sites that are reserved only for tents and some sites do offer electrical access. There are no sites with water access, but there are two water access points within the North Campground, one on each end. Roads in the park/campground are paved. The campsites themselves are not paved. They are grassy. There are no additional amenities at this campground.

While the campground itself is quiet and all campers were respectable, the frequency of trains and the loudness of their horns at night was enough to drive me nuts. Every time I was almost asleep another one would go past. I finally moved from our popup camper to our car, which blocked out enough noise to allow me to fall asleep. Because of the trains, we will not be returning to camp here. If you are not able to fall asleep right away or are a light sleeper, I would definitely not recommend staying here.

The rest of the park was quiet and did not have much car traffic. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that the south campground was flooded or if it always has few cars. I was able to run the length of the park without encountering many cars (3.8 miles round trip including running through parking lots in the park). I did not, but you are able to walk through the flooded section of the park. They are just prohibiting people from driving there. Close to fishing, boating, and unique shopping opportunities.

Amazing Waterfall

Fun to play in the water, go behind the waterfall and a good hike up 200 steps to view the falls from above! Beware in winter the hike down to the falls is a grueling one when icy and covered in snow.

Under development

This is a former Renaissance Faire site that is being turned into a Campground RV Park. They were laying new foundations when we were there. Bathroom/ shower house was very nice & large with 2 entrances. Large playground. Close to a ball park. Tons of geocaching in the area.

Beautiful Independence Day

Soggy lawn but great place & cheap!

Great for hiking and camping!

Serene campground and gorgeous falls to hike to!

Probably my favorite camping spot

I absolutely loved this campground. The area was kept very clean. The spot that I reserved was beautiful. Loved that it was tucked in the back of the camping area and was able to put my canoe in the water at my spot. The site I had was huge. Probably about 3x larger than any site I’ve been to before. And driving through the area was beautiful and lush

Beautiful & mosquitoless

Nice area! Large open sites and NO mosquitos!!!! Will be back with our group again.

No Bugs!!!!

A wonderful campground with a saloon that was great! Friendly service and fun activities!

Was a favorite as a kid.

As a kid we went here often. The water front sites were awesome. Nice sandy shored lake a short walk from your tent couldn’t be beat. I remember there being decent little trails through out as well.

If you pick the right weekend, it can be peaceful

We had a river front site (63) and the river sites are AMAZING! The tubing is obviously fun and this campground has tree cover unlike anything I’ve ever seen!

When we first arrived Friday, our site didn’t happen to have any campers around us but Saturday night we did have some directly next to us and they played music inconsiderably loud.
The management and staff were nice but they also had little patience it seemed. Also the clubhouse and surrounding structures are falling apart and make the site look old and unkept. It needs to be cleaner is my only complaint.

Beautiful camp ground

Words can't describe how nice and peaceful it is. The owners are very nice and helpful. Whenever we're going to be back in the area this will be the first place we want to stay. It's located close to lake Winnsota.

Great campground

This was one of The cleanest campgrounds I have ever stayed at. The sites are large and very well shaded for privacy. Great playground and hiking area. Some sites are difficult to back into if you have a large rig.

Quaint

I love the hiking trails and my kids love the lake and all the fun activities that a company at like boating and swimming. The only downfall is that it's quite congested

Beautiful, large variety of outdoor activities

Beautiful with all sorts of outdoor activities. Great fishing, perfect kayak and Conoe location as well as motorized boats, swimming and also land recreation like serene hiking trails and an extensive bike trail.

A fine camp east of Minneapolis

A good little campground for tents and trailers with trails nearby and some sweet waterfalls not far off.  Good for those who want to explore the twin cities without staying in town.

Not too bad. Loud train nearby.

Plenty of room, electricity in the pavilions (2 of them), bathrooms, plenty of area to camp and there were a couple fire pits. It’s right on the river and has a nature walk trail along the river. Not the most pristine spot but it gets the job done for sure. No fee’s. Be aware, there’s a train that goes by at all times of the day or night. It’s fairly close and can be extremely loud at times.

Comfortable park in western WI

We camped here in the fall and the colors were lovely.  The camping was sort of open but sites are spaced nicely so we didn't feel like we were on top of each other.  The nature trail was very nice - the biking was also good.  We took advantage of being near Lake Wissota State Pk and explored that too.

Memorial Day 2019

Memorial Day 2019 with my siblings and our dog. Campsite 202 had plenty of room for an 8 person tent and 2 pickups. The overall campgrounds were spread apart enough to not feel like you were on top of your neighbors. The park was very clean no garbage or debris on the trails. Overall highly recommend. Will be back again!