About Merrick State Park
No WiFi
Merrick State Park is located in Wisconsin
8 Reviews of Merrick State Park
Nice Walk-In site but bring your bug spray!

Very nice walk-in site right on the river. LOTS of bugs to the point it was uncomfortable so make sure to bring bug spray. Tent pad, fire ring and picnic table available. Trees available that are good for those who hammock.

Very Noisy from frequent train traffic. Wouldn't recommend if light sleeper

This campground has two sections, north and south. The southern portion has been closed all summer because of flooding. We stayed in the north section in site 12, which has a small grassy overflow parking lot across from it. The campground is clean and very open. The campsites are arranged on both sides of a circle drive with trees surrounding the circle and some in the middle.

There is a play ground for the kids, but you need to drive or walk about half mile to 3/4 of a mile to it. It is located at the nature center. During our stay, they had a presentation on birds and our boys really enjoyed it. The park also offers a boat landing, which was clean and easily accessible. You could also bring your boat up to a walk-able landing near the north campground, but this is inaccessible by car. This landing did offer a sand beach, but I don't know that I would recommend swimming here because of algae. During our stay we were also plagued by little black flies, but the mosquitoes weren't bad.

The campground offered very clean restroom facilities with both bathrooms and showers at one end, near where we stayed, and at the other end there was a bathroom that offered pit toilets. You are able to tent camp or bring in a pop up camper or larger pull behind. I'm not sure that a large RV would fit in any of the sites, but a small one definitely would. There are specific sites that are reserved only for tents and some sites do offer electrical access. There are no sites with water access, but there are two water access points within the North Campground, one on each end. Roads in the park/campground are paved. The campsites themselves are not paved. They are grassy. There are no additional amenities at this campground.

While the campground itself is quiet and all campers were respectable, the frequency of trains and the loudness of their horns at night was enough to drive me nuts. Every time I was almost asleep another one would go past. I finally moved from our popup camper to our car, which blocked out enough noise to allow me to fall asleep. Because of the trains, we will not be returning to camp here. If you are not able to fall asleep right away or are a light sleeper, I would definitely not recommend staying here.

The rest of the park was quiet and did not have much car traffic. I am not sure if this was due to the fact that the south campground was flooded or if it always has few cars. I was able to run the length of the park without encountering many cars (3.8 miles round trip including running through parking lots in the park). I did not, but you are able to walk through the flooded section of the park. They are just prohibiting people from driving there. Close to fishing, boating, and unique shopping opportunities.

Relaxing, clean campground

I was nervous about the trains. The website states there are tracks nearby that are active 24 hours. This was not a problem for us at all. They were hardly noticeable. We did stay at the north loop, as we wanted electric hook up. There is fresh water available towards the entrance to fill a tank if you have a camper/rv. also, a dump for the end of your stay. The sites are large and nicely spaced out with mature trees separating the areas. There is a very clean shower house with sinks and flushing toilets, as well a an outhouse with toilets. The river is easily accessible via stairs, but not far. There are nice, well marked walking/hiking paths around the camping area. Toward the south loop is a large boat ramp area with a dock and plenty of parking. I was very happy with our stay and will plan on returning. We loved it!!

Noisy

The park has showers for campers, and electric sites as well.  There are 2 boat launches which can get busy on the weekends but are free to use if you have a current Wisconsin state Park sticker.  The park has a ton of wildlife, nature area, & multiple points to access the water. Great access to awesome fishing!

This site can get noisy from the nearby trains and traffic.

Very Buggy but Quiet

Being so close to the river, the bugs were awful. I did love that it was quiet even peak season and there were plenty of spots open so it felt like a nice getaway. The facilities were clean and well kept up. Didn’t see any rangers around the park besides when I was checking in. Really enjoyed the views from our site. Turtle crossing signs were everywhere and they were right! I loved seeing all the turtles!

Fall Cast and Blast

Stayed in electric loop during the fall duck season for a cast and blast weekend. Liked having electricity in the fall to run a heater, fryer and fillet knife. Can keep you boat at the bottom of the stairs but you can't see the boats so you do have to bring gear up which is a burden. Showers also close in October I believe so couldn't utilize those.

Right on the River

We loved that this campground was right on the river; our dog loved thIs. The campsites were very open and train tracks were nearby. There were many mosquitoes during our trip, our campsite was located near a swampy area.

Great campground

Nice quiet campground. only mile away from Mississippi  Thunder Speedway!