Cumberland, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Cumberland Camping Reviews
Great tent camp location accessable by car or watercraft.

Camped HERE JUNE 2017 on Boy Scout trip from Illinois to Ely, MN.  Stayed both going and on return trip. CANOED from Earls landing down river 4 hours had one adult chase car pickup canoes down river.  TENT camping was free on nicely mowed grass area with several spaced out sites.  RESTROOM was reasonable for this type camping better than most.  Camp was quite both nights we stayed and campground had a camp host that appeared and spoke to us insuring that was how he expected people to be.  I CAN IMAGINE without a host it may be possible to get some rowdy groups in here.

CAMPGROUND was across river from main road and far enough back from connecting road to be very quite.

Great Campsite for car camping!

Well maintained campsites. All have fire rings and most have cooking grates. There are 2 bathrooms (outhouses) that were well stacked with toilet paper. Lake had a pull up area for boat launch or canoe. Excellent place!!!

Very nice

Quiet nice spots

Awesome Camping Destination

What a great place to visit this time of year (Fall). Falling acorns, frogs and chipmunks chirping, turtles basking in sunlight and more. The owls at night were a treat (sometimes even scary) to listen to.

Clean facilities and nice trails. Next time we’ll bring some kayaks.

Great spot near the twin cities

Great park. We camped with our two kids on just an overnight on Labor Day weekend. Lots of kids at this park, sites were big (we are tent people) and shaded. Only 4 stars because there is no trail from the upper campground. We would definitely go back. No question.

Secluded, River Front Buck Hill Site

Backpack site Buck Hill is right on the river, beautiful view to the east. Circled by flowers (goldenrod in the late summer), brush and trees. End of the path so zero foot traffic / passersby. Fine size for us but if you had two tents maybe tight. Fire ring and picnic table of course. No drinking water (we brought a bladder). It’s a great place to star gaze. There’s a teeny somewhat treacherous path to the river- no beach or anything (water was super low when we went) - Just can get your feet wet.

Down the path a little bit is an unenclosed toilet - not the best. The other direction down the path (only about 20 ft) is a smallish bear box.

You can harvest your own wood (at this time) and that was really great - bring a backpacking saw!

Only downside to the site— you can hear cars on both sides (river and opposite side of forest).

It was a 2.37 mile walk from the parking lot, mostly shaded.

Side note: we checked out Deer Creek site which is much closer to the car. It is a hike in / canoe site. It’s wayyy more spacious, and even has two separate clearings. Also has cool stairs down the to water, and a much more expansive view of the river. We will be staying there next time! We want to take a few days to canoe the whole length of the park, camping along the different sites. Next year! :)

A full service campground for those not looking to rough it.

Sites are a little small and not very private. Seemed like a well visited campground with lots of parties if you are into that. There is a restaurant and bar on the site although I didnt use it. They also have a kayak, canoe, and tube rental service on site which was great for easy access to the river.

Awesome

Does not have water sewer hookups but had a station to dump and fill has electricity at most sites close to water has boat access and camp ground is outside of an awesome lil town

Hidden gem near the metro

It’s rustic with charm. Friendly management that will surprise you with their willingness to make your experience the best it can be. Taylor’s Falls and St Croix Falls nearby. Great hiking in the hardwoods in the campground or along the scenic St Croix river.

Great time!

We spent 10 days here and had a great time. This is a very busy park. Popular with the locals and frequently used for family get-togethers. Noticed a number of sites that had multiple units and cars. Difficult to get a site on a weekend. Nice beach. Great boating. Super hosts who bend over backwards to accommodate all, almost to a fault. Witnessed people taking advantage of their kindness--checking out late, parked where they shouldn’t be, using a chair to save a spot for someone,… We will return. Some nice sites on the water.

Best Campground EVER

The people are very friendly. There is a nice inflatable park for the kids. They will bring you up the river to float down and land on their nice sand beach. Will defiantly come again!!

State park status .

Must have state park sticker. Located at the merger of the Sunrise River and the St Croix rivers. Great picnic area.

Great weekend!

Great weekend! Most sites are very roomy some are little tight for the larger campers. Lots of activities to do and for the kids to do. Themed weekends throughout the season. Great bar and grill on property. Only complaint we had was the weekend we were there the bathroom's were not kept up. Were never cleaned, toilet paper was never refilled in the stalls. Ended up buying my own and having to take it with us to the rest room. Other issue which is hard to control unless babysitting constantly is both the pool area and the pond area have allot of people using it that do not have the required wrist bands on. Should be monitored more closely to prevent issues.

Love love love

Great campground and when we went pretty empty. Amazing trails and great beach. Weather wasnt too good when we went but there was still so much we could do!

Nice park, close to cities

Really enjoyed staying here. Was our first camping adventure with kids. Bathrooms were nice along with an indoor area which was a nice diversion in a little rain.

Hiked from the campgrounds to Taylor’s falls area.

Nice getaway not too far from the Twin Cities

I’ve camped here on several occasions and have not been disappointed. The group sites are walk ins only. No drive ins/pull through. They are spaced out enough for privacy. The individual sites are decent & drive in. The space between sites are far enough apart. There are a couple of double sites that will accommodate more than 6 people but less than 13. We’ve rented canoes in the past and have enjoyed it primary because of the sandbars, but have not done it recently so I’m not sure if that has changed or not. The mosquitos were bad in late June! Even with bug spray, candles thermacell, etc…we were still under massive attacked. I’ve always enjoyed coming here year after year, not so much because of the park (although it’s nice overall), but because this place holds lots of memories for me.

Do Not Camp In June

We had a terrible experience last year trying to camp here, BUT it’s not the campgrounds fault!

Unfortunately we chose the peak of mosquitos season and camping next to slow moving water is a recipe for disaster. It was also a very hot weekend. We showed up and set up camp and within the first hour our dog was clearly stressed by all the bugs. He ended up hiding in the car and soon after his face swelled up and he got very sick. Within 3 hours of showing up we had to pack up and head home to get him safe and comfortable. Do not fret, our boy was okay and thankfully the family across from us (in an RV) has Benadryl for their dog they gave to us. We don’t travel or camp without proper bug spray and meds for our dog now so lessons were learned.

Long story short we would love to come back when the bugs aren’t as bad!

Interesting Topography

Very cool exploring the rock cliffs along the river, including the glacially created “potholes”, otherworldly! Nice campground close to the water! We camped early in the season before the mosquitoes.

Amazing Waterfall

Fun to play in the water, go behind the waterfall and a good hike up 200 steps to view the falls from above! Beware in winter the hike down to the falls is a grueling one when icy and covered in snow.

Nice facility

It was raining the night we stayed. Bathrooms are centrally located, but I was surprised how few stalls there were in the men's bathroom.. There were 2 in the facility that served at least 60 sites. They bathrooms were clean, and shower water was hot, but waiting to poop in the morning is never fun. Very dog friendly, and a bunch of young families due to all the activities offered for kids. WiFi was very spotty, probably due to all the kids and bad weather.

Great for hiking and camping!

Serene campground and gorgeous falls to hike to!

Probably my favorite camping spot

I absolutely loved this campground. The area was kept very clean. The spot that I reserved was beautiful. Loved that it was tucked in the back of the camping area and was able to put my canoe in the water at my spot. The site I had was huge. Probably about 3x larger than any site I’ve been to before. And driving through the area was beautiful and lush

Nice place to stay!

Wild River was a great campground, and only about an hour drive from the Twin Cities. The sites were nicely shaded and roomy for our tent and screen tent.

There is ample hiking, however due to early spring rains, many of the trails near the St. Croix were flooded, which is pretty typical for the river in the spring. We would have liked a swimming beach for the kids, but they enjoyed exploring the trails, especially the trail with a lookout over the river.

The great thing about June is that the bugs weren't bad at all. We escaped early in the morning due to impending rain, but found a lovely brunch spot on the way back to the cities.

If you pick the right weekend, it can be peaceful

We had a river front site (63) and the river sites are AMAZING! The tubing is obviously fun and this campground has tree cover unlike anything I’ve ever seen!

When we first arrived Friday, our site didn’t happen to have any campers around us but Saturday night we did have some directly next to us and they played music inconsiderably loud.
The management and staff were nice but they also had little patience it seemed. Also the clubhouse and surrounding structures are falling apart and make the site look old and unkept. It needs to be cleaner is my only complaint.

Beautiful park

Great park, beautiful views, nice sites

Great campground

This was one of The cleanest campgrounds I have ever stayed at. The sites are large and very well shaded for privacy. Great playground and hiking area. Some sites are difficult to back into if you have a large rig.

Family farm fun

Adorable family campground on a farm that has nice large campsites. The campground revolves around children. A huge playground, pony rides, animal parades and mini golf are only a few things that happen at Red Barn. The 126 year old barn on the premises holds barn dances, and indoor movies. 5 min to the nearest beach and cute downtown Shell Lake.

Love this State Park

Wild River State Park is my go-to campground since it is within an hour of my home. I make it my first place to camp every season. Love the scenic trails and all the park has to offer. Hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, exploring, informational programs, and the wooded campsites.

Clean,

I booked this campsite last minute for the weekend because my other campsite was booked. The park had great reviews and looked like a nice area of the state to visit. As you drive to the campground area, you pass signs that state Snake Research Area. I have a fear of snakes, but never thought this would impact my visit. I came across two very large snakes (apx. 4ft long and maybe longer) in the road, having to wait for them to slither across the road. Once I got to my campsite, I was walking with my dog along the perimeter of the campsite and came across multiple snakes of this same size right on the edge of my site! I have been camping many times in many different areas, but this was something that I have never experienced before. I think there should be some sort of disclosure on the state parks' website that snakes of this size are around the campgrounds.