Cashton, WISCONSIN

Most Recent Cashton Camping Reviews
Large sites with play ares for families

Given our experience was on a hot and humid day, I would rate this as 3. However I’m trying to be impartial so I’m putting our temperature discomfort aside and giving it 4. The campsites are large and reasonably priced for an overnight stay.

Campsites are large- some big enough for multiple campers. Most sites have water and electric. Plenty of tall trees around for shade. The sites don't have vegetation between them but they are big enough to give you some room. Restrooms are spread around with one being a shower house.

The lake has boat access. Some kayaks were available to rent. Short hiking trails can be found(with such a large place we were hoping for longer hikes. Playground equipment was getting consistent use today.

Most sites have nobody in them - perhaps during the week is a slow time. There are some sites for long term camping that are clearly designated.

The drive through the touristy area had me guessing as to what this would be like. If simple camping is not your thing, there are a couple of resort type places right down the road.

Beautiful fall colors

Camp sites were well spaced and private. Staff was busy but patient and helpful.

Rustic but in need of updates

This is a privately owned campground and is in need of some updates. The bathrooms are kind of nasty and the whole area had a rundown feeling.

If you are passing through and just need a cheap place for the night, you could do worse… I doubt that I will stay here again.

Wonderful campground

We have been coming to red barn every year for past 9 years. The sites are very spacious and easy getting into for RV's/campers. Price is very reasonably priced. The creek adds to the wonderful scenery. Highly recommended.

Would Recommend

Very nice area, camped in a tent at the end of September. Firewood had very easy access. The campground was a pretty large layout, but still easy to navigate. Nice hiking spots with amazing views. Bugs weren't too terrible, I maybe had two mosquito bites the whole 4 days, and that was before I put bug spray on.

Rentals for canoes and kayaks are available. Unfortunately, when I went the current was too strong. We could still rent one but they warned us that if we weren't able to make it through the current, that we wouldn't be able to get our money refunded.

There were signs posted that the drinking water cannot be boiled, nor can it be given to babies or elderly due to high nitrates. But we brought our own water anyways.

Amazing site & staff

Site 12 - pack in was perfect! 12 yr old boys being BOYS all weekend- sun up to sun down. Clean showers - very rustic amenities but gorgeous park! Bugs late August were fine…

Christmas in Summer but I think I will skip the WInter.

This is a member resort but they do allow the public in.  We went in as Coast to Coast members.  This is an all season resort it does have a ski hill and accommodations for winter.  You can buy a condo resort, Lease a Time Share, buy a camping site ( with a Park Model on it,  Camp in a Motor Home, Trailer or Tent.  You can camp with full hook ups or as they call it the Wilderness Camping, they have some with 110 hook ups.

Facilities are very nice and clean, Swimming Pool, Club House with a lot of things to do. The sites are nice and big most are either pull through or large back in sites.  They also have an 18 holes golf course, since we don't golf really don't know how it is.

They have some WIFi but it is best at the club house the hotspots worked better.

If you would like to  visit Wisconsin Dells this is a great place as it is not very far from downtown and all the activities.  We spent 2 days exploring the Dells even in rain.  Had a great time.

If you are in the area I would check it out.

Tiny Campsites

The campsites are the smallest I’ve ever seen, everyone coming in remarked on how small they are. No privacy, the sites are very close together. We went the end of August during the week so thankfully there weren’t many people there. Firewood is cut up pallets for $6 a bundle. A couple of the hiking trails are really nice and the creek is absolutely beautiful.

Hike in Site - totally worth it!

Camped at the furthest out hike-in (this may have been a cart-in but we hiked it in - can't recall). Nice site on a small quite creek. Good space between you and the next campsite so you felt privacy.

Hidden Gem!

I've stayed at this park numerous times in their cart-in sites. The first two are lack luster since the campers in sites 3 and 4 will be walking right by and fairly close to your site. The last site (which I believe is four) is great. Fairly secluded, not a far hike and provides space for a tent and/or a hammock. Hiking in the park in nice but not a full-days worth. I would say this park would be nice for a arrive Friday night, pack up, hike saturday and head home.

Affordable with Lake Access

This is a very nice campground for those that don't require resort like amenities.  Some sites will come with electric  though most are rustic.  Some sites with electric can be found with lake access.  Plenty of space between sites.  Very quiet campground with a play area, beaches and other nice features.  You can buy wood and some supplies but be sure bring what you need as it is a drive into town to get whatever you may have forgotten.  Lake is very large and great opportunity to bring your boat, jetski, kayaks and SUP.  We would visit again.

Fabulous state park

We have a 30ft travel trailer and we had a tight fit into our campsite. But shady trees overhead and a nice fire pit. Best part about the campground are the trails! We had some stellar hikes, and there's kayaking nearby. Well maintained trails of increasing difficulty. Bring water!! We also saw lots of interesting wildlife, including a rattle snake at the top shelter. Trempaleau is a cute little town with great food at the Hotel and a bike trail for some distance. Like all state parks they are electric only. It took forever to fill out tank, so my only complaint was it took about 30 min per camper to get about 1/2 full with water. We used the pit and flush facilities. Skipped the showers and just went swimming instead.

Quiet and clean

The sites were well spaced and well sized. The sites on the river were really pretty but full of mosquitos. The sites on the other side are also nice and have a much smaller bug presence. There’s a little trail along the river you can walk on which is nice. This seems like an ideal spot if you’re looking to have a peaceful trip down the river. It was also nice for us just looking to relax in a quiet lovely area.

Loved it- lakeside camping and spacious sites

We had site A11, and just loved the location. The A loop is overlooking the lake and close to the beach. Big pine trees so your campsite is really flexible- we had 3 sites A10-12 and just made it a big area for the families to merge in. Plenty of trees and coverage for hammocks, fire pits can be moved. The only negative is that showers cost $0.25 for 3 min. We skipped the showers and just went swimming. There’s a big beach area roped off, and a swim platform for the big kids. There’s a boat launch, and Buckhorn State park is just 15 min away if you need more trails. Dogs were welcomed, plenty of bathrooms and trash locations. They have 2 dump and fill stations for rvs. We have a 28 ft travel trailer and had tons of space at our site. So far, this may be my favorite camping location in WI! We went mid August, and didn't have problems with mosquitoes but we load up on the DEET. We are already planning our group camping trip again for next year! Also was able to get a nice 6 mile run in on roads without much traffic.

Awesome Family Campground

This is a great family campground. We just returned from a family reunion of 20 people camping together and they were great to work with. We were able to have 3 pop ups and 2 tents on 3 sites. We also rented a cabin for the great grandparents. All sites and cabin were clean. Bathrooms were also clean. Women's bathroom had only 1 working soap dispenser, but that caused minimal issues. Pool was clean and surrounding area was clean. Many activities for the family, bounce pad, volleyball, basketball, tennis, horse shoes, mini golf. We were disappointed that for$3 per person for mini golf that the course was so dirty. We did what we could to remove rocks, sticks, pine needles, etc from the holes in order to have a better family tournament. There was a good mixture of permanent and non permanent sites. Nicely wooded. We had a quiet week and on the weekend, the traffic picked up, but it was still quiet at night. My one complaint would be that since I was trying to work while camping this past week, we did not have any internet access like their website mentions. However, we did have a bad storm our first night and I believe the building was hit by lightening. Frontier was on site at least two days, but the internet did not improve. The only other odd thing was the wagon ride on Friday night. It started off great and then we went into the woods. They had all sorts of odd decorations randomly nailed to trees which distracted from the wagon ride and made us adults ready to get off of the wagon.

This campground is only 10 to 15 minutes from everything that you would want to do in the WI Dells. We did do some traditional Wisconsin Dells things while camping. One of which was riding the Original Wisconsin Dells Duck Boat Tour. While the jokes are super cheesy, the scenery is beautiful and the driver let our son drive the duck boat in Lake Delton. I would recommend this tour. I do not know how it compares to the Army Duck tour. We also ate lunch at MACs, which is an all Macaroni and Cheese restaurant. The Jalapeno Mac was so spicy it made our nephew cry and even my husband said it was spicy. Everything we ate here was great, including the Jalapeno Mac. We would highly recommend.

Nice camping area

The camp site was right up against a swamp area so it was kind of buggy, but it was a beautiful area with access to lots of hiking trails and fishing. The vault toilets were well maintained. It was a great experience!!

Family Fun
  • Great campground for families with kids and teens. Tons of activities all around the campground. There were outdoor movies, put-put, corn hole, two pools, huge trampoline, volleyball nets, disc golf, and a Christmas in July festival all happening when we were there.
  • Just up the road from Wisconsin Dells, which is fun for the whole family, even though there is plenty to do at the campground, this option is nearby also.
  • We stayed in the primitive tent sites for this trip and this was the farthest I have ever had to walk to get to the bath house at any campground, but it was still manageable.
  • We found this site through Bring Fido, because we were bringing our pup with us. However, there is a dirt track with racing just adjacent to the campground, so our poor guy was pretty nervous the whole time. The race ended at 11 and we had no problem sleeping, but it is something to keep in mind.
Great quiet campground!

Stayed here two years in a row with two families and we loved it. Bugs were sometimes bad but it was June in the woods in Wisconsin. Nice space and enjoyed the beach area with the kids.

Enjoyed stay - More of a permanent campground

We enjoyed our stay except nightly camping sites are stacked on each other so no privacy -  we heard the drunk neighbors all weekend long. Eventually left a day early, they were way too loud. Wonderful activities for kids and families, pet friendly, beautiful scenery, beautiful perm site, no room for hiking or nature walks. Bar on premises but very odd hours. Owners on site which was nice.

So.much.fun.

We stayed over memorial weekend with a group of friends. With 2 swimming pools, daily activities, movies, and a full ice cream shop you won’t be bored here. The owners were super friendly and helpful. If you’re looking to escape into nature, this is not your park. If you want full hook ups and a summer camp family experience, this is great. Our kiddo had so much fun at the pools, the top one is very large and new with a splash pad area. The lower pool is older and smaller, and where grown ups tend to go for a dip. The sites are split between full timer seasonal sites and daily campers. The site are all level, have a fire pit and picnic table. They are pretty open, so you’re close to you neighbors and little shade or privacy. All RVs here, some tents as overflow for kiddos whose parents are staying in the RV. Kind of pricey, but it’s worth the money for all the extras you get. Super easy back ins, plenty of space for extra cars or shade tents on the site. In the evening there was a Glow Parade where the full timers decked out their golf carts and drove around- candy for kids and lots of dancing. Bingo, tie dye, outdoor movies, and other relay races kept the kids happy and adults amused. Sunday night a jimmy buffet cover band played. A lot of fun and we’ve already booked for next year.

Great stay!

Great campground and great owners! Just when you think it can’t get any better it does! We were seasonal camper for 4 years and went back for a week this year 2019! We had a blast! There is plenty to do here and it’s close to many other activities. They have a pool for a cooling dip in the summer heat. Run across the road and they have a pond for fishing or for the kids a huge floating play ground! Golf in nearby towns and just 30 mins away from the Dells.

Star Gazing

I grew up in the city and have rarely gone camping far from medium or large cities. When I looked up at the sky the first night here, I was astonished by how many stars were visible. I believe there is an observatory on the grounds, but I did not visit it. I think I will return in the future with my families telescope, some star charts, and a compass.

Hidden gem

What a beautiful & peaceful gem of a place in south eastern Minnesota! Came here knowing that besides the mini hikes and river/valley overlook views and birdwatching, there weren’t much activity, which we were fine with since we were just looking to relax. The views are breathtaking! The sites are a bit too close to each other, but do offer enough privacy. We saw a cardinal and 3 hummingbirds because they came to hang out right in our campsite! The fireflies at night were an added bonus!

Great KOA close to town

We were only here for one night but really enjoyed this campground. The back in site we had was very spacious and private. The bathrooms were in good shape and there was a lot of shade around the campground. This KOA has a nice pool area and is walking / biking distance to downtown Wis Dells. Only negative I can say is that the camp store was on the small side, but that’s a minor complaint. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Autumn at petenwell

Love camping right on the edge of the lake.

Quiet rustic site right on the river

We were able to reserve site 120, right on the river.  It was a lovely site with a nice view, but little shade.  The sunsets were amazing here.  This campground is small and quiet, with minimal amenities.  The vault toilets were clean.  We saw some interesting wildlife too.  We purchased firewood on site, it was a bit wet and challenging to get started.  The ranger was super friendly on check-in.

Inner city camping

The campsite was in the middle of the neighborhood but was very convenient if the river was too high for camping on the sandbars weren’t available. Hook ups for electrical if needed and restrooms and showers. Perfect setup if dropped upstream for your river trip.

Very nice place . Quiet and very clean . Sites are big and not crowded

Excellent place to stay. Our favorite place to camp

Nicely maintained, family friendly

The campground was clean and well maintained, the staff was friendly, the bathrooms were very clean, and lots of activities for the kids to do.

We would definitely stay here again.

Beautiful Independence Day

Soggy lawn but great place & cheap!