The best BOAT IN camping near
Wellford , SOUTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Wellford Camping Reviews
Beautiful campground

We stayed here this past weekend and absolutely loved it. Our site was #40 and it was right on the lake. There is a skunk that comes up to your site at night but he doesnt bother anyone as long as you dont scare it. Very beautiful and peaceful campground. Friendly staff. Definitely going to return again.

Happy camper

It was our first time camping as a family and now we wish we could camp every weekend!

Amazing

Friendly staff, nice view, little small places for big rigs, but I would recommend

Pretty and convenient.

20 minutes from downtown Asheville, we got to enjoy the city a little bit while also camping. Campground and staff were great but campsites are extremely close together (we stayed at hard times loop), some of the RV sites at Big John Loop seem to have a bit more privacy, however those are completely paved and not suitable for tents. We have Verizon and usually get service everywhere even spotty locations but our phones hardly worked there and definitely no internet. We got lucky (due to the cold I think), the site next to us was empty until our last day. The showers kinda suck, it’s a few seconds of timed release, if you’re trying to get clean and wash your hair having to keep pushing a button every 30 seconds that the water goes out is pretty annoying, specially when it’s so cold. And the lack of pressure and position of the shower makes you have to almost lean on the wall.

First solo trip - perfect spot!

I decided to stay at Lake Powhatan for my first solo camping trip and campsite 063 was the perfect location. I was right next to the campsite host and the bathrooms, so I felt safe the whole time. I went during the week, so despite being next to the bathrooms, it was very quiet. The only downside to this site was the picnic table was directly on top of the trees, so my hammock was almost directly on top of the table. But other than that, I have no complaints.

The bathrooms were very nice. Staff came around and cleaned the bathrooms and showers every morning. And the fact that they were both individual, private rooms were very convenient, as I had my service dog with me, so I was able to bring a towel to put on the ground while I showered and I didn’t have to worry about anyone else in the bathroom trying to pet him.

All of the staff was super friendly, but it was a minor inconvenience that the campground store was closed due to COVID, so if you needed ice or firewood, you had to drive up to the gas station that was a few miles out.

I would definitely go back again though!

We have been pretty happy with our stay

Great little spot for a family get away. We came in late after leaving another place down the road that was just awful. They waited until we arrived even though it was after the office closed.

They have a lot of little activities during the day and even for the family. We would stay here again, I just wish it was a little cheaper ($57 a night full hook ups)and it would be nice if cell phone service was better as there is pretty much one bar everywhere you go in the camp ground for Verizon.

Awesome location

Camped here for one night. Busy campground but still pretty private. Amenities were a plus if you’re looking to shower. Only bummer was that dogs aren’t allowed to swim in the lake..Not a bad drive from campground to downtown Asheville!

Stunning lakefront campsites with gorgeous mountain views!

Lake Jocassee is knows as the Caribbean of SC for good reason!  This lake is pristine - the blue-green, transparent water is gorgeous and nice and warm in September.

We are tent campers, so we skipped through the RV section and parked in the tent parking lot to go explore the sites.  We were pleased with the first 4 sites that presented themselves to us as we walked - but as we continued exploring - we realized WOW, these sites are phenomenal!!

So a couple things to know:  You will be walking to your campsite.  If you are not thrilled with this idea, pick another park.  It is a walk - but well worth it!  The first few sites are larger than the rest - almost double sites, with more space between you and your neighbors and lots of trees for some privacy.  The lakefront sites are pretty snuggled together - but they are LAKEFRONT!  You can walk from your site - into the lake, by climbing down the rocks.  As you lay in your hammock or tent, you can hear the water lapping on the shore - it is stunning!  If you plan to arrive during daylight and get set up - you'll be fine.  The steps are marked with yellow paint - but seeing in the dark can be challenging!

This park is very busy - and the line to get into the park can be at a standstill for hours.  We came on Sunday afternoon - and the campsites were all booked!  We were very disappointed - but the helpful ladies at the visitor center suggested another campground nearby.  The visitor center also has a very clean bathroom and everything you could have possibly forgotten at home!!  We will surely be back to this campground!

Shaded spots, renovations being done now!

We were heading to Table Rock this past weekend to camp.  As you pull in the gate, the entrance to the campground is just ahead on the left.  We pulled up to the camp store and spoke to the woman inside.  She was very friendly, gave us our sitemap and some general information about hours and we were on our way!

We pulled through the campsite - the first 8 or so sites on the right are VERY close together, flat and very average.  As you pull into the loops though, the campsites spread out and are more private.  A couple recommended sites would be # 52, as it was a bit larger than the other sites - and a bit more private - with a longer site.  Another recommendation is site 13 - due to the large nature - a double site that backs up to the creek with a dry, shaded tent pad.

There are clean bathrooms, not great cell reception - but no worries!  There is renovation happening here and sites are currently being updated and this campground will be even more beautiful when they are complete!

Serious seclusion

Arrived here for a 5-night, tented stay from Sesqui State Park 2.5 hours away. Check in was easy, and the staff accommodated a second-chance selection given that Spot 60 was a bit too rocky for the tent. The alternatives #5 and #6 were close to the entrance and therefore exposed to the road, and #49 was next to the restrooms, but similar to #60, so stayed with #60. The spot is level be but jaggedly rocky, so it became necessary to remove stones and rocks as much as possible to prevent the damaging of the tent's floor. The picnic table's sandy pad was level and had the fire pit placed in an unfortunate upwind location, so sitting at the picnic table and having a smoky fire ended up being mutually exclusive. The sights and views of lake and mountain sides are serene and beautiful. No raccoons. Giant grasshoppers though. Clean bathrooms. Narrow, steep roads around the first campground loop, beware. Very nice visitor center. No WiFi, and terrible to Nil reception at the campground, from both TMobile and Verizon. The check-in office building's WiFi is unreliable. Had to drive to Easley to work remotely at the Ingles Starbucks!