Equestrian
Hike In
South Mountains State Park is located in North Carolina
14 Reviews of South Mountains State Park
Nice but crowded

There are multiple campgrounds here. I stayed in the drive up campground for people without horses. There is also equestrian camping and campsites one can hike to. My experience was the campsites were a little close to each other and, since it's a small loop, they fill up fast. I prefer more space and privacy when camping. My tent pad was a little uneven as well. There is a lot of good hiking in the park and horse back riding for those with horses. I'd like to try the back country camping at some point.

A park with swimming and hiking!

Great park! Beautiful well marked trails for all skill levels. Large waterfall with access from two points depending on the difficulty you wish to hike. The river is awesome for cooling down by swimming or shallow enough to find some rocks and just relax. I stayed in the tent only sites which were quiet and had good space between camps unlike many state parks. Clean bathrooms with hot showers too.

Amazing

Amazing camp sites. Beautiful trails and waterfall.

Perfection!

Tent camping can get cramped but you won't feel that way here! The set up here is great, pads are level and big, picnic tables aren't chained down so you can move them where you need them. The showers/bathrooms are brand new and CLEAN! You are going to feel spoiled because you are. Trails lead right off the camp grounds making it easy to get up and make the most out of every day you get to spend here. The only thing lacking is a camp host but rangers patrol at night and are happy to drop you some wood if you flag them down.

quite and quaint

The Family campground has sites right along the river. Nice bathrooms. Trails right off of the camp ground.

Absolutly Gorgeous and Full Adventures

This place has it all from primitive camping to beautiful waterfalls. There maybe a couple steps along the way but who doesnt love a good hike. When you make it to the top… you feel like you are ontop of the world.

great camping area

we camped at the family camping area, it was great, we had site 6 and it was on the river and the kids loved it! cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen!!

Great place close to home

This state park is relatively close for us in Charlotte and we have camped here on a few occasions. We want to visit more and always plan on it. The campground is clean and the spots are level and decently spaced. Easy access to the creek and hiking trails from the campground. What I like most about this park is they do close the gates at night (I can’t remember exactly what time) but it definitely cuts down on random traffic.

Great facilities

New bathrooms. roomy sites. Gets booked quickly

Our Favorite

South Mountains is a great campground. Bath facilities are new and kept clean. Very quiet with NO cell service which is a big draw for us. Far from a town, so don't forget anything. Rangers are helpful and will bring firewood (charge for the wood). Mostly drive in sites with only 2 (that I can think of) RV sites in the family campground. Not sure about the equine campground.