Brooksburg , INDIANA

Most Recent Brooksburg Camping Reviews
Good camping

Privately owned, nice camp grounds, store, playground, half court basketball, heated pool and small fishing pond, I enjoyed staying here, friendly staff and guest, I made a few friends there

The KT earns its nickname 'little AT'

The KT is rugged and has lots of elevation gains over short distances. Everywhere you hike there are lovely vistas and lots of fossils on the trail snd creek beds. You're never too far from water, although the quality may differ depending on the time of year.

Watch out for ticks. My dogs and I got loads of them in April 2020 from Leota to Spurgeon Hollow. There are road crossings every 5 to 10 miles, so if you run out of something or need to bail you can. The KT asks that you respect leave no trace philosophy, and I felt most hikers did.

There is occasional trail magic but don't depend on it if thru hiking. I have not stayed in any campgrounds near the trail, so I can't review those, but the trailheads all have adequate parking and signage, and I found topo maps online for free.

Let someone know your itinerary, have a means for filtering water, and enjoy!

Charlestown State Park

Went here for a day hike and it was an absolute treat.

Beautiful campground, but not following COVID mandates

PROS:
Beautiful lake with geese nesting areas and great fishing opportunities. Calm waters for kayaking.

CONS:

Since July 2020, the Governor of the State of Indiana has mandated face coverings in indoor areas and in outside spaces where social distancing is not possible (and signs are posted everywhere). During our three-day-stay, we did not see any DNR staff at the gatehouse, the campground store, or a conservation officer complying with wearing a mask. In addition, most campground guests were not wearing them either.

In addition, this park is listed as participating in the Explore Indiana pin program but no one seemed to know anything about it. We did the work to earn it but were not able to add it to our collection.

Spread out sites

Had site 151. Partially shaded, level, not far walk from potable water. Only electric. No water or sewer at my site. No problem though. Had some trails to hike on. Nothing spectacular but a great place to stay a night or 2. Very clean and well kept campground. Sites in “Paw Paw Loop” are much more desirable. Especially sites 143-154. Shaded, private, near potable water 👌🏻

Lake views

Close to Cincinnati but each site is wooded and on lake front , lots to do!

Super beautiful

Lakefront sites are pretty close together but the middle area ones have more space. Clean bathrooms and showers, chemical toilets too, boats to rent, though it was a little hard to catch the boathouse open so go early. Exit the park and turn right for a little country store.

Full-hookups, short but rugged hiking trails, great base to explore area

My husband & I spent 5 nights at Charlestown State Park in mid-September 2020.  Campground was nice with concrete pads and full hookups. Campground was not heavily shaded, but we didn't mind that at all.  We biked throughout the park and hiked 4 of the trails, 3 of which were pretty rugged and all had elevation changes for a good hiking challenge.  From here as a base we also spent half a day in Madison Indiana, (shopping, dining & winery) and biked the Ohio River Greenway path - nice 7 mile one way bike path from Jeffersonville to New Albany and stopped for lunch before turning around to head back.  The bike trail also has a bike/pedestrian bridge across the Ohio River to the trail which runs along the river on the Louisville side.  Would absolutely recommend and would go back again.

Wouldn't go back

This state park was totally boring nothing to do.

The history lesson is so fun!

Campground is pretty understaffed. But….it was still fairly clean & quiet. Be mindful of the showers, you only get a 10 seconds d burst of cold water 😆 It was pretty shocking! The trails are nice, pretty well maintained. There is a tour of Rose Island, which was very intriguing. Everything is “driving” distance; the park, trail heads, picnic shelters, camp store (which doesn’t stock much), etc. We will definitely be returning. Loved the peace and quiet of this place.