Bloomington, INDIANA

Most Recent Bloomington Camping Reviews
Mountain biker paradise

The Campground is on top of the Ridgeline. When we pulled in it was raining and there was smoky mist hanging over the forests. We set up camp and since there were no bugs first week of October we slept with the screen open on the tent. There is a new pit toilet by our campsite which was very clean. We didn't bother with showers because we are stinky mountain bikers. So I can't comment on the shower house. The ranger told us that all the deer had been killed by over hunting in the park, but when we drove back to the Campground after dinner there was a whole herd of deer hanging out at the camp ground. He also showed us how to find paw paw fruit in the woods which taste like a cross between a banana and a peach. Delicious. We only camped two nights but we had a lovely time. We rode the trails which were surprisingly dry and fun. We wanted to ride the flow trail HogsHollow but we didn't know how to get back up the mountain. It's 5.5 miles down and I'm not in good enough shape to climb back up. So maybe next time we go we can call for an Uber since it turns out it is available there. There is supposed to be 200 miles of singletract trails in the area plus horse trails. There is a horse barn for trail rides and also a horse camp. There is a lodge there too but I didn't have time to see it. Also a swimming pool and nature center. The town of Nashville is right there with lots of artsy shops and restaurants in rustic buildings. There are numerous hotels and a music venue and a playhouse. Something for everyone. Unfortunately the bike shop right outside the park went out of business. Can't wait to go back.

Beautiful place

The hiking trails here are awesome! Something for every level! The campground is pretty and spacious. Very peaceful. Great for just day trips as well.

Love it here

This place is so beautiful! We stayed in the hideaway loop and it was perfect. Lots of wildlife, so pack your food up right. The hiking trails were pretty, not very rugged. Scenery was nice on the trails.

Beautiful. Fun. Family-friendly.

The park is beautiful with plenty to explore. If you love to hike, Wolf Cave and the waterfall and canyon were well worth the trip. There is also a paved, accessible trail. The nature center was fun and very kid-friendly and the programming was great. Our kids got to do a fun craft, go on a night hike and see some of the nature centers animals up close. You could tell the staff members there loved what they do and are happy to share their knowledge and love for nature with kids and adults alike. Camp ground A offered a bit privacy and wooded areas between most sites, and the grounds and bathrooms were clean and well kept. Our family will definitely be visiting again.

This campground is huge! It has a ton of spots. We got a group of spots pretty far back so it was a bit of a drive through the campground. We went on multiple walks and my 2 year old loved it! They have a few playgrounds, including one nestled back a little bit in the trees. The nature center was cool for all of the kids and even adults and the views were just beautiful! We will definitely be back. Would love to make a trip in October when the leaves have changed next year!

Great time

Tent camping & hiking

Fowler County Park

Stayed:  09/06/19

Site:  8 (Non-electric)

Price:  $12

Pros:  Clean facilities, Lakeside camping, Griffin Bike Park

Cons:  None

Great RV park

Great place for friends and families. Tons for both kids and adults. Super close to the lake and really nice facilities all around!

Secluded

My favorite forest with traditional camping, backwoods camping, and a wonderful secret pioneer cabin for rent. This is the best camping within an hour on Indianapolis and if your looking for free and solitary sites try the backwoods camping area for the low gap trail theres a parking lot there.

Good fishing.

Can fish right out your "back door". Very clean showers. Not much in the way of shade on campsites.

Love this place!

Very friendly staff. Lots of shade on campsites. Very clean showers.

Clean

Very nice camping. Lots to do.

Always clean and well maintained.

We love it here. We reserve the same primitive campsite yearly for a full week for our anniversary. We love hiking the trails and riding our bikes as well as walking the whole park. It is always clean and very well maintained.

Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Great Camping Spot

We camp here every time we come to Indiana. We have camped there in a truck camper, and now we tent camp with our Jeep. The sites are large, and there are fire rings available. There are vault toilets and a fresh water pump not far from them. The only time this camp is full is when a trail ride is going on, then it fills up fast. It is only five miles from Paoli, and there is a Walmart there if you need supplies..

Secluded Site

We loved the primitive camp site. It was secluded and open. We loved seeing the open night sky and preferred it over the electric sites because they were more covered with canopy. I though it was reasonably priced. If you are here I encourage you to visit the Pioneer Village, go to the Nature Center, learn about Gus Grissom, or eat some home-cooking at the Inn (I suggest corn mill pie.) Caving awaits. Bonus - the bathrooms were less then 5 min away.

Amazing sites on the ridge

Huge state park, with beautiful camping, hiking and mountain biking. Sites are large, in the woods and were awesome. Beware, there are rattle snakes. We saw a copperhead and a timber ridge rattle snake. One of the best camp experiences we have had.

Off the beaten path

Site accommodates both horse, drive in and walk-in camping. There’s a privy and water on site. Campsites have fire rings and picnic tables. There is a trail that loops back to the site for easy hiking access.

Great place for a family reunion!

First of all, I have to admit up front, we stayed at this campground during the hottest days on record, for that area. However the park is beautiful and well maintained. Each lot has water and electric. There is a dump station at the exit. The only negative comment about this park is, every lot slopes down towards the lake. If you have levelers, should not be a problem, but be sure to bring extra, because it's a good 3" to 5". We have a small class C and we had to raise the back end (facing the lake) off the ground with our hydraulic levelers. Good think we had leveling blocks to put under the wheels. Also, the decent into this park is steep and the road is narrow. I think there is one section that is close to 8%, however it's short. Verizon phone, Verizon mifi and Dish Satellite, all excellent. Nice thick grassy areas at each site, firepit, picnic table and plenty of room for tent or gazebo. Bathroom/showers very clean.

We were here for a family reunion and used the club house, which was very nice. They also have boat docks, outdoor pavilion, basketball court, beach and swimming area. I would not hesitate to stay here again, but in the cooler months so we could enjoy the trails.

Favorite Campground

This is by far my favorite campground. It is nestled back in the woods of Brown County and is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall. It is very quiet. If you can, try and get a spot towards the front of the campground as the back has sites that are pretty steep.

Great Atmosphere

Overall, a very nice campground. I grew up just 30 minutes away from here and recently just visited for the first time. Nice camp sites and friendly staff. My only reason for not giving 5 stars is the bathrooms are nice, but not air conditioned.

Plenty of fun!

Raccoon State Recreation Area | Cecil M Harden Lake is located in the heart of historic covered bridge country just 50 miles West of Indianapolis. The campground is surrounded by the 2,060 acre Cecil M Harden reservoir offering boating (boat rental), fishing and a large swimming beach with concessions and amenities. The campground is extremely well maintained with many sites sheltered by tree canopy ranging from non-electric, 30 amp, to 50 amp. Fresh water is available at fill stations and a spacious dump station area make for easy disposal. Many of the sites are not level so chose wisely to suit your needs. Easy beach access from the campground via a paved walk/bike path, well stocked camp store at the entrance to the campground, well maintained bath house facilities, active interpretive Naturalist programs, and numerous hiking trail opportunities round out the amenities. This is a beautiful campground; and if you like to explore…take a drive through the area and enjoy the many historic towns, covered bridges and roller mills throughout the county.

Beautiful Trails!

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to do some light backpacking for an overnight/weekend trip! Wonderful trails, dog friendly and nice places to camp off the trail. Can’t wait to go back!

Heads up! Refill your water when you come across it; the lake is harder to get to than you think. I would also bring bug spray and check for ticks!

Mighty fine campground for a city

This place is pretty awesome. It's doesn't have any of the typical summer amenities like a pool but the ones it does have are in tip top shape. Campsites also don't have fire rings but there are a bunch of communal ones around the lake. Plus free communal firewood. The laundry and bathhouse is really stellar too. Clean and open 24/7. Plenty of washers and dryers. There are easy back-ins and pull-thrus. Think some of the pull-thrus are for group camping too the way it's set up. Dog park, free cable (like 60 channels!) and internet (haven't tested strength yet)! I dig it!

Nice, convenient

Convenient location. Clean restrooms & showers. Had a shady spot for our overnight tent stay. Quiet. Friendly staff.

Ghost town

Called when I was about 2 hours away and told them my ETA. Arrived at my estimated time 7:20 pm. No one in office, no instruction for self registration. Drove around to look at campsites & hopefully find someone. Restrooms & showers could use an upgrade. Saw some RVs & campers which appeared to stay there year around.

Fun & convenient

Close but safely off Interstate 70. Great place to rest & refresh. Clean restrooms, small laundromat. Would love to bring the grandchildren here. So many kid friendly amenities.

Hiking and camping

Had fun on the different trails, at the pool and the shade of our campground!

A couple nights on the sycamore trail

Wonderful place. Excellent trail following a nice little stream along the one side. Being in a national forest dispersed camping is allowed if you follow leave no trace principals, but I stayed in a couple of the official sites. The official sites all had rock fire rings and bushcraft furniture.

The one negative was I did have to pack out previous campers trash along with my own. Being close to the college there was evidence that less than mature campers may frequent the area. That being said once on trail I didn’t see another soul past a couple hundred feet of the trail head and only heard a pair of hikers on the trail pass my camp site as I ate my breakfast the one morning.

A wonderful backpacking area!