The best GROUP camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Birch Camping Reviews
Tallest of 'em all

Site-A is where it's at for group camping (8-24 people) Site-6 is off on its own on the north eastern side which is nice. I'd say site A, 1, 6. Site 3 is okay to. All others are close to ranger station.

Bring head nets and long clothes june-july for bugs.

Long hike to get to The Overlook. Bring a sandwich and water. Hike light.

Hidden Gem

This small - off the beaten path - campground is wonderful. It has all the amenities you would need of a large campground without all the commotion. It sits on the shore of Long Lake, allowing for fishing, swimming or relaxing with cocktails at sunset. It's just south of Copper Falls SP and just a tad further to Lake Superior, which makes the location great for hitting up all the attractions this area of the Northwoods has to offer. RV water/electric sites, tent and cabin options.

Legacy and a Gem

We first stayed at Alpine Campground this summer and we ended up staying twice on two separate trips. Both times we needed a place to rest for a night on our way to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and later to Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. We think we discovered something special.

The campground is on a beautiful property. It is a bit dated and our pull thru sites where just long enough for our 35’ trailer and truck to stay connected. Sites were grass, a little un-level but were very spacious. These pull-thru sites were water and electric only (30 amp) and the water pressure was a little low. There is a convenient dump station on the way out of the park.

But the sweet owner who opened this park years ago with her husband made the stay a gem. She and her three small dogs went out of her way to make there way around the park on her golf cart and check-in with her guests.

There are full hookups sites back in the trees and there are also some great group camping sites down by the river. Some even looked like the had water and electric at them. There were tents also setup on the perimeter of the grounds.

Where we may have found some small things at a different park a bit disappointing, the charm of this park made this a special place to stay and dream of years gone by. We look forward to visiting again.

I only stayed for one night but it was incredible! The waterfalls are remarkable. Stay for more than one night because there is so much to do.

Primitive camping at its best!

A few friends of mine got together one weekend to camp at Porcupine Lake Wilderness. Overall, it was a beautiful place to camp. This particular weekend, it snowed and words could not describe how amazing it was. Complete isolation and a relaxing setting made our trip extra special. I would recommend if you are into adventure. Would go back.

Beautiful Lake Owen

We’ve camped here a few times over the years. The most recent was in June 2020 in site 89 which is on the Bass lake loop. We didn’t make reservations ahead and campground ended up being full by Saturday night. Many nice sites, some are reservable and others aren’t. The lake (Owen)is beautiful, many beautiful homes and super clear lake for excellent snorkeling. There are also 2 islands on the lake that you can boat in camp to which we’ve done twice and was amazing One less star because the boat landing within the park has very little parking requiring us to return the trailer to the campsite and walk back and forth to the landing. Our site wasn’t on the lake but a number of them are

Not the best for tent campers

for short stay RV campers or seasonal campers, this might be a campground of interest due to its proximity to the Bay as well as into the town of Washburn. However, I am reviewing this from the perspective of a tent camper, and this campground proides bathrooms and menities etc, but this is not a reall desireable location for tent camping. Few trees, small campsites, close together, no privacy. The waterfront area needs a bit of work and maintanence too, in rough shape due to shoreline flooding. It would be more than adequate to stay here if nothing lse in the area is avaialble, or would be a decent place to stay overnight before launching out into the Apostle Islands, but not the best place as a destination camping area for tent campers.

Nice area campground in Washburn, WI

This is much better than average for a community campground. The location is great if you would like access to the Lake, as well as being in between Ashland and Bayfield. A real plus here is the mature pine forest that shades the campsites here as opposed to the more open Thompson Park community campground nearby.  My preference if camping in the area would be the Dalrymple Park campground further north in Bayfield, but this campground would be a close second. Good bathrooms, good areas for group activities including large picnic shelter on the water, decent playground for kids.

Beautiful at peak fall color!

I did a 3 day/2 night hike during peak color, starting at the Lake Superior Trailhead. I was warned the Lake Superior trail was muddy when I checked in, and the ranger was not joking - I was grateful to have trekking poles to help balance on logs, branches, roots and rocks to try to keep my boots as dry as possible in the parts of the trail that were submerged.

Campsite LS-14 had a lovely location on the lake, but was very muddy/previously submerged with water. It immediately abuts site LS-13. There was a wooden platform to put my tent on, but I had to bolster the corners so that it was big enough for my tent poles to have something to rest on. If I had gotten in before dark, I might have seen the small area near the trail side of the site that had higher, dryer ground. There is supposed to be a bear pole for these sites, but the group at the other site said there wasn't one. In hindsight, I think there probably was, away from the campsites, but since I had a canister, I didn't go looking for it after dark. The Lake Superior trail continued to be muddy until you got close to the Big Carp River mouth.

Campsite BC-8 was a big upgrade - very large site, a little patch of open sky over the fire pit, easy access to the river for water. The big trees provided good shelter from a minor storm and high winds overnight. This site is right alongside the trail, but separated from the cabin and next site by a good distance. The hike out from here up the Big Carp River trail to Lake of the Clouds is a somewhat longer trek with a bit of elevation gain, but nothing too intense in my opinion.

Fall Colors!

Really enjoyed this place! It’s connected to miles of trails for multiple uses like mountain biking, hiking, running, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and winter fat biking. Staff is very polite and helpful. Cabins are a nice size for parties of 6, and sites are somewhat private. Rustic campground with flush toilet, and personal enclosed shower rooms. Sauna was a nice option after a day on the trails. Will definitely be returning!