Equestrian
Hike In
Yellowstone Lake State Park is located in Wisconsin
12 Reviews of Yellowstone Lake State Park
One of our favorites

We spend quite a bit of time here. We hunt here and camp here year round. Tons of forest with cross country, equestrian, and hiking trails. One of the best lakes in Wisconsin for fishing along with a nice beach, and pet area. There is a free gun range. Hunt anything from pheasent to deer. There is also a nice bar and grill just down the street. Along with dairy bar as part of the park. Showers and bathrooms are always clean.

Quiet, dog-friendly campground with trails, lakes, and beautiful sunsets

Yellowstone Lake State Park was a last-minute weekend destination for a few friends and I. We live in nearby Madison, WI and were looking for something within an hour of the city for single night stay. Yellowstone Lake is the perfect spot as it's clean, quiet, and has a number of outdoor activities to do within the grounds.

Fishing, ATV trails, Snowmobile trails, dog trails, off-leash dog beach, and a good beach for people round out a really nice weekend. Pair that with summer concerts and a wide array of spot types, everyone can enjoy a weekend trip to Yellowstone Lake.

We stopped in the administration building and picked up a trail map and did over 3 miles of easy hiking and could have extended it if we pleased. We stopped halfway at the off-leash dog beach with our puppies and continued the journey.

Campers were all pleasant and kept noise to a minimum.

We stayed at the Walk-In tent sites which had a great view of the lake / sunset only a few feet away (these were not on the water, but higher over looking the water).

decent

I liked it, nice size sites, bathrooms clean. showers are individual not stalls with curtains which was cool. it rained all week before we arrived the site we were on could have used some more gravel as it was little muddy for the first day. nice beach for the kids. overall was a good weekend.

Beautiful glacial area with rolling hills and wonderful views

Beautiful wooded campground with easy access to fishing & swimming. Lots of hiking trails and nature programs for all ages.

If camping with a trailer or RV check to make sure you will get a campsite that is level enough for your vehicle. Lots of the campsites are uneven and larger vehicles may have issues getting level.

Lots of areas to explore in the vicinity including local breweries, winery's and museums. We really enjoyed the Toy Train Barn and PecTime tubing! Close to New Glarus, Monroe & Mt Horeb for day trips.

Beautiful lots if wildlife

There are lots of wildlife to enjoy and Yellowstone. A beautiful park and tons of hiking and nice lake.

Private Tent Camping on A Lake!

I’m very picky about my camp sites- I want to be in nature and not within eyesight of everyone else’s campers. These sites were a perfect site and I felt like I was getting away!

The lake was easily accessible and the beach was full of families enjoying the well taken care of space.

On another note, the shower house and attached bathroom we were near were probably the most clean and taken care of that I have been to in a while. A nice plus for a longer trip!

Nice shady private camping spots

Very nice shady private camping spots.

Nice hiking and great beach area.

Only 1 shower house (6 showers) for a large campground which I was worried about since it was a busy time over a holiday but we had no problem or wait for the showers.

wish the dump station had a hose attachment to rinse out with after dumping.

the bats were cool!

This campground is known for its’ many bats. We sat underneath the bat houses at dusk to watch them fly out. It wasn’t as dramatic as I thought it would be, but still very cool. The lake was nice for swimming as well. I would go again.

Wonderful hiking!-May 2018

This is a popular place in the area, the human beaches are full and the small pet beach area was well used by my husband, myself and our two dogs; Odinn & Frigga over Memorial Day. The hiking is amazing , particularly the Oakgrove trail, plenty to see with beautiful views. There is boating, canoeing, etc. Bring the strongest mosquito repellent you can get, Wisconsin in summer can be rough. We tried our Black Diamond poles and Thule day bags and we got to try cooling vests for the dogs from Ruffwear. It was so much fun. Note that there are sites to camp, cabins nearby and plenty of Hipcamp sites near. Strongly recommend Riverview Bottoms, which sits in a 500 acre property and is 10 min away.

Fun state park in southern wisconsin

My parents brought me here while visiting a few years back. They enjoy going to the nearby ever popular brewery. I also did some quick research and happened to discover that the Leopold center (as in Aldo Leopold) is also nearby so that was amazing to check out..anyway onward to the site review. The sites were all large and private mostly wooded which was nice. The beach wasn't very maintained upon our visit it was hard to say if it's like that all the time. Overall good location from Madison or Chicago. Private sites. Good for families we enjoyed ourselves!