Camping in Hilltown

372 Reviews of 34 Hilltown, Virginia Campgrounds

Zack K.
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2021

Incredible Scenic destination!

We camped here while learning g to roast coffee and it was incredible. It was early November and the colors were incredible. I think we missed peak colors by a week or so. The next week it dumped snow. I hate we missed that!

Month of VisitDecember
Kelly Z.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2021

Secluded mountain camp

The host at the campground was welcoming and informative! I sadly do not remember his name, but he made sure I had all the information about the mountain camp land & trails and was incredibly hospitable. I wish I had time to spend more than one night so I could have explored the grounds! The…

SiteC-4
Robyn W.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2021

Waaaay up in the mountains

If you are fearless and willing to take your RV up a beautiful small winding road into the mountains this is the place for you. However, for myself it rained… so it was quite the experience driving up and considering the limited visibility. Also when I arrived at my site there was no power on the…

C
Reviewed Jul. 14, 2021

Beautiful views and clean bathrooms

We have tent camped and RV camped here. Great site with lots of space and kept up well. Views are great and area is beautiful.

SiteC7
Teresa S.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2021

Room With View

Mayberry is big rig friendly even though it is set on a rolling hill/mountain. All sites are gravel and clean.

The campground doesn't have much to do, but it is a great place to stop a couple of nights to see Mayberry (My. Airy) and all the history of the Andy Griffith show.

• Fun Police Car Tour
Jacqueline F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Not my favorite

It’s an amazing drive to this campground, but it definitely wasn’t my favorite. Most of the sites are not level and it felt very crowded. The bathrooms and showers were pretty gross and I don’t think they were cleaned the 3 days we were there. Our site was by the dump station which was in sitting…

• trail near campsite with overlook views
  • am I Batman? :)
  • downhill bike ride to campstore
Jessica D.
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2021

Wooded retreat on a creek

I stayed at site 19 which was located right on the creek. Ample space at the site. Dollar General a short drive to Sugar Grove for any forgotten items.

Michelle The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2021

Never Again

We booked a full week here in June. Never again.

Let me start with the pros...the staff is attentive and always working. The pond is nice with the ducks swimming around. Great location to thenwineries.

Cons:

There are no trees to be found near the sites, and in the heat of summer you need some…

Jacqueline F.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 6, 2021

Secluded spot with super hosts

There isn’t much to look at once you get up there, but it’s still pretty. We had a neighbor nice enough to give us his site because he was leaving early and I would have stayed another night there. It was C3 backed into the woods on level ground. It made for a cozy morning.

• hiking trails after rain brought out wildlife
  • butterfly lookint fungi along trails
  • road up the mountain
Sitec3
SThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jul. 5, 2021

Looks good on New River

I didn’t camp here, but I took out my kayak at the boat ramp and looked around. Vault M/F toilet, BYOTP. No hookups and I didn’t see a water spigot. Plenty of shade. Closed during flood.

Sally C.

Nice Place For Overnight

Very nice private campground for overnight RV stay. Full hookups, clean and level spaces. Neighbors are close, but not too bad. Little shade, no swimming, nothing much here. A couple catch & release ponds.

• Stayed in site #7 on our way south.
N
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2021

Highly recommend for a quiet relaxing trip!

Beautiful small campground and everything is done top notch! Prettiest bath house I've ever seen! Pull thru sites with concrete pads. No leveling needed. Couldn't be easier to pull in and set up. Very quiet.

• Pilot Mountain view
  • Bathhouse
Dave V.The Dyrt PRO User

Andy Griffith's favorite haunt with Helen Crump

I have driven past geological knob numerous times in my NC travels, but this time I was able to visit. I usually travel 'by the seat of my pants' and hope to find an available site and being early week I was able to easily secure a site.

Of the 42 campsites, less than a dozen were filled, so I had…

• Entrance Sign
  • Pretty self explanatory
  • Trail signage
DThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2021

Great well thought out park

The sites are spacious and pristine. Level sites with view of mountains. Each site has mosaic picnic table and fire pit. All sites are fhu and level. We definitely will be back.

• site 16 is the best!
  • Mountain View
TThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 12, 2021

Camping in the mountains

Lovely woody and grassy field campground with only electric at our site. The sunrise is beautiful on the big field. The sites are well spaced and fairly level. The bath house had clean and private bathing rooms with great hot water and pressure. There is a place to wash dishes outside as well.…