Blue Ridge Parkway, VIRGINIA

Camping Virginia Blue Ridge Parkway
Most Recent Blue Ridge Parkway Camping Reviews
Very clean and nice

The park is very nice , very clean. There are shower facilities there . We hiked there, the mountain were cold even in  July. Beautiful place !

Awesome little site

This is a nice clean park, very friendly people who work there . The park is child friendly . The bathrooms are very clean

Great little weekend getaway.

For a weekend that just started out wrong (double conjunctivitis, sinus infection, son didn’t seat the camper correctly on the ball hitch… yep, we dismounted my friends!) The campground was a terrific place to get some much needed rest and relaxation. The secluded spots are a friendly distance from your neighbors and the water was peaceful and serene.

Off the beaten path

A couple buddies and I went camping on table rock, found a cave, crawled through it for about 100 feet and found the most beautiful camping spot we have ever seen. 10/10 would never tell the spot

Best campground by far!

This campground is located along the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. We saw wildlife when we woke up in the mornings and before we went to bed in the evenings. The bath house in the tent only loop has private bathrooms with showers. The bath house is also cleaned daily.

Quiet and clean

One the best run parks in the state. Forget TV and phone service is spotty but who cares, the park is great. Hike, fish or just relax

Great campsites

The campsites are absolutely great in the park . We enjoyed every moment of being here . There is lots of water as well as wonderful nature spots .

Ranger Review of Outdoor Element at Hungry Mother SP

Campground review: Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, VA. This park has something for everyone. Hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, swimming. There are interesting campfire get togethers too. Two campgrounds, one up the hill, the other on the main road. Secluded cabins and yurts. We stayed in the smaller campground at the top of the hill. There is electric at each site and plenty of room for more then one tent, hammocks and small campers. A nice showerhouse with dish sink on the end. You will get your exercise walking the rolling loop still campground and hill. There is a yurt in this campground with a nice deck. Some visitors saw a bear near the backside of the lake, but I didn’t see any large wildlife. The cabins are located on the backside of the lake with some nice porches to sit and enjoy the evening breeze. The beach is popular, there are kayaking programs and paddle boats. You could easily stay a week here. Two things to do while your here is ONE: check out DIP DOGS a very popular and busy restaurant and TWO: the “Back of the Dragon” an AWESOME DRIVING TOUR across the mountains from Marion to Tazewell, VA.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I have the opportunity to check out some awesome outdoor products. Outdoor Element stuff is like survivalist gear that can be carried with you all the time. Bracelets that can be used to make fire, use as fishing line and as rope. This bracelet has a fish hook “embedded” in it and a flint and striker for sparks. Cool thing they do is give you a piece of the 550 cord used for the bracelet to take apart and experiment with. Watch my video for more information. I wear the bracelet all the time now so it’s a little stinky , ;p not sure about washing it, but I am going to the site to find out.

Excellent hiking

Raccoon Branch Campground is with in the Jefferson National Forest. We stopped here between Hungry Mother SP and Grayson Highlands. The scenery through this entire area is AWESOME! Raccoon is the trailhead for a 2 1/2 mile one way trail TO THE TOP. There is some awesome overlooks and scary drop offs. It’s well worth the climb! Once your done hiking you can relax in the campground which has a choice of primitive or electric sites. Secluded, quiet and dark at night. I had no telephone signal, but that was the story the entire time I was in Virginia. A nice overnight camping spot.

Quite....

End of season… Pool was closed but it was hot as hell (9/3/2019). WiFi is good if you're in the right spot. We had a great spot for camping, but bad for wifi. Bathrooms were amazing. Pulled my review from a 3+ to a 5! Private baths like at home. Toilet, sink and shower all to yourself and CLEAN!

Great Camping & Hike!

Camping was located closer to the trailhead than expected. Some sites looked quite crowded but we reserved one further in the back.

The hike was challenging but definitely doable. The view was worth it (as you can see in the pictures). We first went down to the falls and then to the peak. Was around 6 miles in total.

Great Campground

Mayberry is conveniently located near the highway. The property is well maintained. The staff is very helpful.

The campsites vary in size so check the map and talk to the staff to figure out your best option when making your reservation.

Cabins were great

Stayed in a small cabin for thanksgiving and it was quite and peaceful. There was 2 small bedrooms and a very tiny kitchen. The living room had a fireplace and a bundle of wood was provided with reservation.

Ranger Review of Outdoor Element Firebiner Survival EDC Carabiner at Grayson Highlands State Park, VA

Campground Review: There are two campgrounds in Grayson Highland SP which is located by The Mouth Of Wilson, VA, near the North Carolina border. Just an FYI certain cell phone providers do not have great coverage in this area, so plan ahead and print out any Geo or local info before you arrive. As a non-Virginia resident you will pay more to hike and stay at the State Parks. That being said the facilities I’ve visited have been immaculate and well staffed. Grayson Highlands has a front gate where you can pick up your packet if pre-registered. I’m not sure what I picked at online registration other than electric and water but I had the choice of over 10 sites. I originally pulled into site 29 which has an awesome view, but had visions of plummeting down the mountain side so I moved. There are several pull through options, I opted for a back in. The lay out of the park is very linear and the “corners” are completely used with up to three sites. We visited on a week day after Labor Day and the campground was sparsely occupied. The shower house closest to my site, 46, had a shower and latrine option or just shower option. The camp host was located across from the shower house and the dump station was adjacent to that site. For the most part there was plenty of shade. Near the entrance there were a few sites off the field that had few or no trees. There is a six pad group site available behind the camp store that had plenty of picnic tables and a large fire ring. LOVED the hiking trails!!! The VIEWS!!! The “one” the park is known for is the Rhododendron, which is where the wild ponies live. We saw ponies, but more then that it’s like you are on top of the mountain range , “Lord Of The Rings” or something like that! The Creekside Cabin hike is very technical as in tree roots and rocks, but so worth the exertion! Very cool waterfall and aside from some modern day trash there is still the old wood stove and pantry in the cabin. If you like to cool off in the streams that you hike to this trail has many options to sit and enjoy. We saw several deer, some turkey but no bears. Still be aware of your surroundings when moving around and in the campground.

Product Review: Outdoor Element makes some useful gadgets to wear, carry and stash on your person for all contingencies. I reviewed the “Firebiner” while at camp this time. Realize I am a laymen and “thingy” is an acceptable word when describing products. Please visit www.OutdoorElement.Com for all the big words and complete descriptions. First and foremost I want to say I am not an outdoor , backwoods phenomena, so bear with me on my fire making skills. I have watched “Survivor” and they are right about how hard it is to get a fire going with just flint. Outdoor Element gives you everything you need to be successful though with PRACTICE! SO … The Firebiner first has some cool added features before you ever get to the fire part. A cool assortment of colors and National Parks in a titanium coated finish, a flathead screwdriver tip, a bottle opener, a built in utility blade, hang slots ( like for key rings and small hanging things ). This biner can hold up to 100 lbs ( non-human ) and has a stainless steel wire gate that springs closed. Now one of the coolest features to me is the Everspark fire wheel. It can throw some sparkage around! I was unsuccessful with regular tinder but got the jute burning. The ferry rod has two replacements included in the package and you can get a kit for the replacement or use an eyeglass flathead, but remember it has a spring in there.

A great place with great views

This is a wonderful area. It is highly recommend . We had a great time at this park . The views are amazing.

A beautiful place

The park is gorgeous, the facilities are clean . The park is very well kept , the hiking trails are very well marked.

Linville Gorge is Gorgeous

We’ve primitive camped in the Linville Gorge Wilderness for many years and absolutely love it. It’s peaceful and secluded and the views are absolutely gorgeous. My photos are from the Linville Falls side of the old highway that goes past the falls parking lot. Spaces are first come, first served dispersed camping. Leave no trace! We clean up after folks every time we camp up here and it’s just too sad that people will leave their trash. This area used to be the best kept secret in the NC mountains but is quickly gaining popularity.

Great family campground close to Boone

This is a wonderful family campground with amazing people running the campground close to Boone and Banner Elk. There is a beautiful creek that runs through the property. Campsites are level. Bathhouse is adequate but they could use an additional restroom facility on the cabin/tent side of the creek. Only downside is the road noise from Hwy. 105 which can be extremely noisy.

The Best

I’ve stayed at Blue Bear twice and booked my third stay as I was leaving. Wonderful campground - you can’t beat any aspect of it.

The sites are well spaced so you don’t feel on top of other campers. Remote sites provide that extra sense of privacy.

The owners are so helpful and friendly. Providing wood and also have devices to haul your gear to certain remote sites.

Location is a great jumping point for tons of hiking and other activities. We went to Ashe County Park to play disc golf, and into Boone to walk around and look at shops.

Bathhouse is very clean and well kept. There is nothing negative to say about Blue Bear. It is our favorite site by far, and keeps us coming back.

Great Place

Awesome campground. Large lots with everything you need. Great hiking trails. We will be back.

Love this park!

Great campsites. Trail to the beach area along the water. Paddle board. Just a great place to relax. Full hook ups.

Love Love Love

This place is magical. I have loved this place for so many years and gladly visit any chance I can! Wonderful hikes, views, and wild ponies!

Pros and Cons

Went with our two dogs for two nights. Spaces are pretty close together and open, so you’ll see your neighbor.

Unfortunately, we had terrible neighbors our second night and made a quick exit the following morning as a result.

Otherwise, the bathhouse was clean, and the trails around the campground were very nice. The stand alone outhouses were very gross; spider webs, flies everywhere, and dark.

I don’t think I will return, but think it would be good for families and people who want ease over quiet.

Just beautiful

It was the best weekend we ever had

Best weekend ever

Amazing time

Nice Camground...lots of Activities

Nice, clean campground with friendly staff. Outdoor pool, mini golf, bowling alley and more to keep everyone busy. We stayed on Labor Day weekend so it was crowded and of course it was a bit noisy but would definitely recommend anyone to stay here and we would definitely go back. They also have two dog parks in the campground which is nice for your furry family! 😊

Bit of everything

16, about to be 17 sites. The 5 upfront are walk in, and more private. The about to be 12 in the back are pull in and much closer together. Two shower houses, one on both ends, no hookups. Host should be on site weekends from April til the end of October. Previous last three seasons host kept things clean in the bathrooms, new host will happen sometime soon or next season. 9 miles, minimum, of dirt roads getting in, so pack accordingly. Quick trips don't happen. Lots of near by trails, the river and multiple swimming holes. Creek and waterfall in and near by the campground.

Wytheville KOA Holiday will not disappoint!

Very nice campground… Went on Labor Day weekend 2019, mainly because nothing else was available. But, I was very pleased with the Wytheville KOA Holiday, from their full hook-up, easy access sites to their very nice pool with waterslide!

Serenity

Most beautiful campground ever.So peaceful, cool and clean. Friendly People!!!

Great pool

Great park with one of the best pools in the area.