the dyrt
Blue Ridge Parkway, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Blue Ridge Parkway Camping Reviews
Beautiful State Park

Friends and I rented a cabin here the 3rd time. It is simply beautiful. The mountains, creeks and nature are breathtaking. There are a lot of hiking trails near by. From easy to moderate… so something for everybody. The cabins are very nice and clean. They have everything you need. I would definitely recommend to stay here and enjoy this gem of nature.

Wonderful little campground

Great owners. Full hook ups with WiFi, pool, playground, game room, small store, bath house, laundry facilities and more. Dog friendly. Love camping here.

Little piece of heaven!

Love this little piece of heaven! Kept secret cuz it’s so peaceful and the owners are so amazing and friendly! Great environment and actually staying here right now with my husband and kids! Plan to stay!

Great place to camp!

Beautiful place! We camped there toward the end of October 2018. Campsites are level and plenty long enough. Bathhouse was extremely clean. Hosts were very friendly and helpful. We camped with 3 other families. It’s a little hilly for kids to ride bikes, but the 6 kids with us managed to have a great time on theirs! We did not take advantage of the swimming area, but I would not hesitate to use it. Great place to launch a boat. Lake was gorgeous! Absolutely the easiest and cleanest dump station we have ever used! Well designed! Close to Willesboro!

Clean and well-maintained

Friendly and helpful office staff, clean bathrooms, washer and dryer available.

Hiking on the AT

We hiked on the Appalachian Trail. We did not have to hike far to see amazing 360 views! Not very crowded. This was one of my favorite places to camp.

Beautiful Long Hikes

The profile trail is a great hike but it is 3.6 miles of mostly uphill on rugged terrain. Permits are required on this trail. They are free and available at the trailhead. We also visited the swinging bridge which was a very short and windy hike with great views.

Decent

The campgrounds were perfect for a few days and there were enough hiking trails around to keep us busy. Most of the trails were very easy, but the view on top of Stone Mountain was nice. I don’t think it was exceptional but overall was a nice camping trip.

A beautiful basecamp for hikers and horseback riders

With camping just a moderate day hike away from Mount Rogers, the highest point in Virginia, this campground is a hiker's paradise.

There is little to no cell signal here, so coming to Grayson Highlands is one of the few state parks in Virginia where you can truly go "off the grid" during the length of your stay--and you won't miss technology, because there is so much to do at this park. From the aforementioned Mount Rogers--an 8.5 mile out-and-back, to the 1.5 mile but difficult Cabin Trail that takes you to a waterfall, to the wild ponies who will approach hikers along the Rhododendron Trail, any fitness level will find hiking they can enjoy. When we stayed the outer bands of Hurricane Michael brought so much fog and rain that we were not able to see any of the ponies, but we did hear one a couple of times, very near Massie's Gap!

As for camping there are two frontcountry campgrounds. All sites have picnic tables and fire rings, and bathrooms with electricity and flush toilets*

Chestnut Hollow Campground:

-There are 23 sites here with water and electric hook-ups May-October, and this loop is available as primitive camping March, April, and November. *During this time bathrooms are pit toilets only

-Horse-friendly; there are stables located adjacent to this loop

-These sites are very small; if you are in a tent I recommend no larger than a 4 person.

-Not a lot of privacy between sites, especially near the back of the loop. Most sites are right agains the road and have little space to move around; I would not recommend this loop if you have small children who are going to want space to run and play

Hickory Ridge Campground

-This is the larger of the loops at GHSP; there are 64 campsites ranging from standard tent sites without water or electric, to full service sites with water and electric hookups.

-Tent sites 1-18 are the furthest from hookup sites and will therefore be the quietest; they are mostly small sites and very close to the road. Sites 10, 12, 13, and 14 are set back furthest from the road. There is a path behind sites 2-14 leading to the bathhouse behind site 14. Site 13 is easily the most private--and arguably the only truly private--tent site in this campground, with the driveway going behind a cluster of trees that shields the site from the road. We stayed in site 12 which easily fit our 6 person tent.

-Sites 31 and 32 are on a meadow the campsite loops around; they have no privacy and little shade, but ample room for kids to run around, and there is a set of swings near these sites. They are however right on the road so it may be easier to just walk to the swings and keep littles in a site without as much traffic. There is water right across from both of these sites.

-Even-numbered hookup sites 60-70 are also right on the meadow with very little shade

-All other sites are heavily shaded, although you'll be close to your neighbors

The camp store near the Hickory Ridge Loop sells ice, firewood, and just about anything you may possibly have forgotten to pack--firestarters, first aid supplies, marshmallows, and has as a gift shop with blankets, outerwear, and kitschy souvenirs.

Normally I would take off a star for lack of privacy of tent sites, however there is so much hiking here that your campsite can really be more of a basecamp than a place you want to sit and hang out all day long!

Great park along the Blue Ridge Parkway

You can’t beat the location of this campground, located right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stayed in Loop D which has a brand new bath/shower house with six individual stalls with a bath/shower combo. The only thing missing was soap dispensers (I had to remember to bring soap every time I used the bathroom). Very nice and large dishwashing sink. Loop D is for tents so the driveways were small. We were able to fit our 17’ camper van but anything larger might not fit. Park personnel were very friendly and helpful. Wish firewood was available to purchase at the park as we didn’t buy any ahead of time. (You are permitted to pick up downed branches which was new to us). No electric sites and spotty internet but great hiking trails. Recommend the Boone Fork Trail but be prepared for many stream crossings!

Great Stop on the Parkway

The Doughton Park campground off of the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great place to spend the night without if you are driving along the Parkway and don't want to venture too far off course. The campground is much larger than I expected. There's an RV section on one side of the Parkway and a tent section that is on the other side. I only explored the tent side.

Although a little bit confusing, with concentric loops, there are many sites to choose from. Some loops and sites are more wooded and further from roads and amenities while others are more central and along a field. I opted for a more central site and ended up being the only person camping in that loop. At the end of October there were only three other campers in the whole tent side of the campground.

The hosts were friendly and helpful in choosing a site. The bathrooms are small but clean and there are easily accessible water sources about. There has been a young bear hanging about in the campground so they, very reasonably, ask that you keep all scent sources in your car.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is an incredible drive, my favorite section is south of this campground in North Carolina. Just along the VA-NC border the Blue Ridge Music Center is well worth the stop. There is free music there daily from 12-4!

Lovely Stop on the Parkway

Convenient Stop on the Parkway

Woody for Tent Campers and Sunny for RV'ers

The tent sites are built into a hill that provides an abundance of trees to hang hammocks and to keep well protected from the sun. The RV spots are located out in the open area and one loop sits right on a creek. The RV spots are sunnier with limited trees to shade from the sun during the summer months. For a NC state park, the bathroom and shower amenities are clean, warm and well stocked with toilet paper. The tent spots are a perfect place to hang hammocks and the tent pads are pretty sizable!

I am giving this review a 5 based on 2 different elements: 1) cleanliness of the camp site was beyond expectation. Not all campground hosts clean out the fire pit on a daily basis. When arriving, there was no trace of the former camper at all. No micro trash, no left over spikes and the campsite was freshly raked and all coals/ash were swept out of the fire ring. 2) welcoming personalities of the camp ground host and and employees. The campground host stopped to ask if we needed anything and to remind us the program that was taking place the next morning.

For tent camping, choose the following sites if you need to park 2 cars at the campsite: #7, #9, #14 and #18. The other campsites have enough space for one car at each site.

Ranger Review: RōM Outdoors RōM Pack at Hungry Mother State Park

Hungry Mother State Park, just a short drive off I-81 in southwestern Virginia, is an easily accessible gem offering modern cabins, yurts, and campgrounds equipped for tents or RVs, with limitless activities.

We stayed in one of the cabins after Hurricane Michael rained out our plans for tent camping. This was our first time in one of the VSP cabins, and will not be our last. There are three types of cabins; log exteriors, part of the original Civilian Conservation Corps structures; wooden frame cabins with wooden interiors, and cinderblock exteriors with tile floors. Cabins range from economy to three bedroom, and all have a kitchen with microwave, stove, and refrigerator/freezer, a bathroom with a shower, and a fireplace, as well as heating and air conditioning. Most cabins also have covered porches, exterior picnic tables, and exterior fire rings.

The Creekside Campground loop has water and electric hookups, picnic tables, and fire rings. The layout is similar to most water/electric sites in state and national parks in Virginia; not much privacy between the sites, but fairly shaded, and a quiet atmosphere. This loop is true to its name, and right on the creek running through the park. We were there during the rains from Hurricane Michael and the creek was running so high that sites 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, and 19 looked like they were in danger of flooding.

The Royal Oak campground has platforms for tents set into the mountain rather than dirt or gravel tent pads, however as there are hooks in each of the pads to anchor your tent they can only accommodate tents with a 20x20 footprint. These sites have picnic tables and fire rings on the dirt beside the platforms. The two VSP Yurts at Hungry Mother are in the Royal Oak loop, along the entrance that are set up from the road. This loop overall offers a lot more privacy for each site that I have typically seen in state parks due to the platforms, though you will still see/hear your neighbors. Both camping loops have bathrooms with electricity, flush toilets, and showers with warm water.

Amenities in the park include a lake with a swimming area, boat/canoe rentals, fishing (with license), a restaurant, hiking, biking, and ranger programs. The park office also has several cool displays of local wildlife and history of the area, as well as backpacks you can check out with books and gear for tree, wildflower, and animal identification. Hiking varies from short and easy trails with minimal elevation gain, to the difficult Molly’s Knob trail with one of the most epic sunset views I’ve ever hiked in Virginia.

I love Virginia State Parks, and this is definitely a new favorite. I’m skeptical of the comfort of the wooden platforms for future tent camping trips, but the cabins will definitely be a future stay for us, particularly during the winter months, and there is so much to do in this park even the most reluctant adventurer will find fun.

**Product Review **

As as Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time — on this trip I tested the RōM pack, from RōM Outdoors.

I was skeptical about this pack when I first received it—it felt extremely heavy for a day pack, particularly as it doesn’t have a hip belt, and while I was impressed with the removable pockets, it didn’t seem like the pack itself had a lot of cargo capacity.

After using this pack on our trip, I am a convert. We used it to pack clothes for my husband and I, knowing we would be able to leave our clothes at camp when we went hiking. This freed up space in the car that would normally go to a larger backpack, and we got to take advantage of the pack’s ability to convert to both a poncho and a blanket, not just for review purposes, but out of necessity.

The poncho’s rain resistance held up well, considering we were hiking in the outer bands of a hurricane. The first hike we took this on we started in the rain, and my husband wore the poncho—he stayed dry for the first half mile of our hike, but by end of our mile the water had started leaking through so he did get a little wet—though mostly around the the seams/openings. On our second hike he wore it as a backpack. Because it was raining when we set out and we anticipated needing the poncho feature again, we elected not to bring the detachable pockets, but the interior of the pack was enough to hold our 5 year old’s day pack once she got tired of carrying it.

It stopped raining by the time we got to the summit of our hike, and we tested the blanket feature of the pack for a picnic. It unfolds to a size that was perfect for our family of four. The canvas is thick enough to make a great picnic blanket—it protects from damp ground and sharp rocks, and the lining makes for a very soft surface to sit on. On the way back I took advantage of the poncho. By this point it had gotten extremely windy and was getting dark quickly, and the poncho was excellent at keeping me warm. It’s very heavy, which was welcome in the strong wind, though it did make it hard to hear with the hood over my ears.

Pros to this pack:

-Versatility. In one trip we used the backpack, poncho, and blanket feature, and were grateful for all three.

-Durability. This is definitely a well-constructed pack, with heavy materials that seem like they will last for a long time.

-User-friendly. The pack looks intimidating at first, but it unfolds/folds from pack to poncho/blanket very easily. Combined with the drawstring inner pack and detachable pockets it’s easy to convert while still keeping track of your gear.

Cons to this pack:

-Space. This is great to bring on a camping trip where you can bring additional packs/bags for your gear, but it doesn’t hold much on its own.

-Weight. It only weighs in at 4.6lbs, which is less than a lot of backpacking packs, but as the pack doesn’t have the hip belt it’s a high starting weight.

-Thin straps. The width of the straps is comfortable, but they could use a little more padding.

Close to Town

2 night stay while traveling the east coast. Campground is very close to town so makes it very convenient to see the sites or run to the store for something. Friendly and helpful staff. Coffee bar on premises. Some sites seemed small and close together. Others were larger and more private so pick wisely. Bathhouse is a little dated but clean and functional. Will visit again.

Gorgeous riverside camping

I attended the Twin Rivers Chopper Campout this past September, and though it was an event that certainly changed the vibe—filled with motorcycles, music, a food truck, and a decent sized crowd of fantastic people—I could tell that this campground would be an absolutely lovely spot if you’re looking for a more unique, more quiet, car-camping experience. My friend and I set up our tent literal feet from the river that runs parallel to the campground, and I could’ve honestly stayed there for a week if I’d been able to! It seems a little bit of a sketchy drive into the primitive sites, but no one had any problems as far as I know—we certainly didn’t! There’s space for RV camping (I do believe) closer to the entrance of the campground, I saw plenty of people taking a float down-river, and the whole area surrounding the campground is filled with beautiful views of the blue ridge mountains just a short drive away. I’ll definitely be going back.

Awesome

This campground has a very nice little creek running through it. The people running it are very nice and since it right outside boone nc its very close to shops, restaurants and hiking trails. The only negative thing i can say is the tent sites are a little small and its right off a major road so its a little noisey but that didnt bother us we'll be going back.

Family campground in Boone that caters to RV's

We stayed at Honey Bear on the weekend before Halloween. The campground had several family activities like a haunted trail and trick or treating for the kiddos. Our tent site was small and we may have been the only tent at the campground that weekend. Site had a tent pad, picnic table, and fire pit. The staff were fantastic, helpful, and kind. There's a cafe of sorts in the center that has a coffee bar, TV, and tables for playing games on. This is definitely a campground for families-- don't expect to go and have a peaceful, quiet retreat. Downtown Boone is a 10 minute drive and there are many hiking trails around.

A hikers dream

I absolutely LOVED this campground! The campsites are at the base of a mountain with tons of great hiking trails within the park. They even had a food truck most days, so you really don't have to leave the campground unless you want to. They are also dog friendly. The location is also within an hour of Asheville and thirty minutes from lots of other great mountain towns. I'd definitely stay here again!

Wonderful, well kept, wooded sites by Kerr Scott Reservoir.

This COE campground is well built and well maintained, and not so old. The windy roads are narrow in many places, with little or no shoulder. There's a wonderful 'in the woods' feel, and some sites are closer together than others. Sites are well graveled and level, with picnic table, fire-ring, and lamp hanging posts. The staff is friendly. Sites have water and electric, but no sewer. There is a dumpsite near the front office. A short drive from campsite is a man-made beach with lake swimming area… very nice.

September visit

Very nice and shady in Chermside campground. Lots of walking trails. During summer rent kayaks and paddle boats. Restaurant on site. Sites are a little tight for rv. Will be back.

A perfect place to be one with nature!

The campground has everything one needs to enjoy camping. The tent sites are level and great for people with difficulty walking any distance. They have clean and updated restrooms along with a huge outdoor steel sink to your dishes. You are off the Blue Ridge Pkwy but don’t hear the traffic. You are not far from several walking trails, not including the ones in the park, and other attractions. There are stores within a half hour drive for those items you have forgotten. We were able to completely relax while we were there.

Hidden Gem in the Mountains

A very friendly place for people and pets. A storm was coming in and they called to check our ETA to let us know set up might be critical. Plenty of hiking trails. Activity room being remodeled after a flood. Pool looked nice but it was too early in the season to be open. An activity director is on hand for various programs and hiking recommendations.

Secluded with gorgeous views

This is a beautiful and secluded park in the heart of Appalachia. Beautiful all year round but definitely best for camping in the spring and summer months. Be sure to bring a jacket as the winds can get quite strong

Great Camp Close To Many Historic Sites - Targeted For RVs

I was traveling in this area and was really excited to have found that there is a town called Austinville where Stephen F Austin, a founder of Texas, originated. While driving out to the monument in his honor I found this site and loved what I saw!

Highway access to this area is easy for all types of traveler. there are several stores in the area with just about anything you could need or want only moments away from camp and if you are there in late summer when I was, the sun rises are amazing!!!!

So what is the catch?? Well they don't accept tents!!! NOOOOOO!! I didn't find a single thing about that online when I checked their site following finding out this knowledge, however I did like this site enough to still give them a positive review because they were so nice, their facility was ample and their proximity itself.

In fact, they were so nice they gave me a tour of the campground even though I couldn't stay and gave me some great info about places around me which led me to another campground that served me perfect, a tent campground nearby.

This site has a very nice restroom with multiple sinks, a large laundry room perfect for a camper who is on the road for a while like myself. I noticed there was a very nice pool which is heated, allowing it to be open much longer than many campgrounds in the area. There is a large pet area and also playground and several hiking areas in the direct area which all looked nice.

Nearby are numerous state parks as a part of the New River Trail including the Shot Tower Historical Site which is a very short distance away. In addition, people often come here to watch the birds and deer, which are very relaxing.

Should I return with an RV I also inquired about the rates which are reasonable at $35 for standard hook ups and they do have weekly rates also. I did notice what appeared to be a few long term campers but their areas still looked kept and maintained.

TIPS:

• Call in advance if you will be arriving late in the evening. The management lives on property and will make arrangements to meet you.
  • Take advantage of the historic Wrythesville walking tour, you can get information about this in the office and it is WELL WORTH IT!!
Loved The Grounds!!

Ever wake up on a foggy Virginia morning and walk only a few feet fro your tent and watch the fog rise off the water? I DID and it was AMAZING!!

This place is pretty amazing, it is used for camping but also for day use depending on what area of the park you travel toward. There is a historic site with great information, a boat ramp and launch area which is spacious, playgrounds, horse stables, pavilion, canoe area and on site security to make sure your stay is safe and enjoyable.

Reservations are preferred however they do have same day availability some times. You do need to make sure you display your paperwork on your dash to confirm your parking in the lot before hiking into your site itself. If you don't like carrying your things in, this is not the camp for you! You will be required to carry your things into your site, however there is a nice paved walking area for you to do so.

My site was close to the main entrance, so no biggie!

This is pretty bare bones camping, no electrical, no RVs, no flush toilets. But there is drinking water available and also each site is equipped with the standard picnic table and fire ring.

There was a store on site but I never went in so I am not sure about what all they have, being kind of removed from town I just went ahead and brought my goods in.

While I was here I did see a lot of nature roaming and loved it!! They did let me know it gets pretty crazy during prime season and weekends can be a bit tough as well.

TIPS:

• Book online in advance!!
  • Bring your canoe, there is an island you can row across to and enjoy just a few hundred yards from camp. Well worth the exploration!!
A state park as they were intended!

Build by the Civilan Conservation Corps In the 1903s- Hungry Mother is state park planning its historical peak! The amenities cannot be missed - beach with bath house and snack bar, interpretive center with children’s activities, on-site restaurant with wonderful lake view, $8 kayak rentals, well-kept paddle boats, and wonderful hiking. We loved the kayaks - if you only have 1 hour, power right out of the boat slip (past the beach) up and around the far part of the lake. Utter solitude among the hills! 💗

For hiking, we especially enjoyed Lake Trail - easy but quiet and lovley vegetation. We stayed in one of the old CCC cabins (pups and cats allowed!), and while simple and rustic - it was perfectly maintained and clean. we hope to go back during fireplace season! The loss of one star is as due to the number of white supremacist bumper stickers, t-shirts, and tattoos in the day use parking lot and on the beach. We ended up not sticking around due to concerns about our safety - clearly a genderqueer same sex couple was not welcome news among the locals.

Well taken care of, get a campsite by the water.

I'd suggest buying wood in town.

The poles sticking out of the ground were there to hang up old-school latterns back in the day.

It gets COLD at night in October even if it's warm during the day.

Beautiful Park on the Lake with Access to Amazing Hiking

This park is right on a gorgeous lake. There is a spot within the park to rent kayaks which was great. There is a hiking trail that goes around the lake. There's also a trail that you can access from the park that leads to Hebron Rock Colony which is an incredible hiking trail. The trail follows a river with lots of great swimming holes and the rock colony is incredible. Awesome place to camp! Some sites you can reserve, but others are first come first served.