Blue Ridge Parkway, VIRGINIA
Most Recent Blue Ridge Parkway Camping Reviews
Wonderful place

Really great atmosphere

Breath taking views off cliff 300 ft from camp site

1.2 mile hike each way,in and out site. Plenty of space for large groups and plenty of fallen wood for fires.

The hike has some minor obstacles. Dogs are able to join, be careful near cliffs.

Usually hammock camp here near the cliffs to see the stars. Rumored you can see Brown Mountain lights from the cliffs.

Beautiful Blue Lake in Mountain Valley

Amazing lake front camping. rock bed lake creates a dark blue color instead of the brown many lakes in the area have. Great place to rent a pontoon boat for the day and explore the lake!

Convenient to the Interstate!

One mile off the Interstate, but you would never know it! A large hill at the west side of the park blocks most of the noise. There's even cows on the hill! Super nice people that run it, as well as the campers visiting. Each campsite has a level space, shade, and picnic table. Full hook ups, including cable! There is a very clean pool, but it was not open. Just wish there was a wildlife area with flowers here….

Great Campground! Family friendly!

Love this campground. My family has been going here for years. There is a beautiful stream running through the campground that doubles as an amazing playground for the kids. Bathrooms are nice. The office area is nice and stocked with games. It’s in a great location very close to Boone and Blowing Rock. The sites often get booked quickly, so reserve spots well in advance!

Great Park

Every site is unique! 2 bath houses which were older but well kept. I wish they would have had one on each end. Placement was a bit weird. Don't worry if you forget a garbage bag, they have some available by the dumpster. There are a few sites with 2 tent pads and a couple sites that basically have their fire pits next to each other so if you are planning to camp with others those would be good sites. If not, you might want to call in. We camped at site 3 and LOVED it. Bit of a hike to the bathroom but not a big deal, i mean, you are probably headed here to hike anyways! You are going to love these unique sites.

Wow

First, campsites are the most unique I've ever seen. Feels like you're camping in the mountains. Trails are amazing and views are unreal. Two bathroom and shower locations are old but clean. Firewood is 6$ a bundle. Make sure you have cash cause that's all that works here. Great shade cover on most sites. Will come back for sure.

Enjoyable tent camping and hiking

My husband and I just returned from a May visit to this campground. It is fairly small, 43 camp sites. No water and electric hookups which we sort of prefer as it seems to be less attractive to mega sized RVs with noisy generators. It was a ratio of about 75%/25% tents to smaller RVs when we were there. Camp site has raised level tent sites not concrete, but hard packed dirt. Also, picnic table and fire pit. The grill on the fire pit was adjustable for height to the coals which was kind of cool. Bath house was a little rustic but plenty of hot water. Firewood is available from the camp host for $6 a bundle. Cash only. If you’re not in good shape get a site above the bath house. Below the bath house involves a good little climb every time you have to go!

Best part of this campground is that it is right on the trail to the summit. The first trail is Grindstone Trail which is a 2 1/2 mile up and back. It’s a moderate trail with equivalent inclines, declines, and level switchbacks. I’m 63 and healthy and it was an appropriate challenge for me. To get to the summit it’s about a half mile of strenuous climb on the Ledge Springs Trail. That part is strenuous in my opinion.

You can also drive up to the summit where you get views of the Yadkin Valley and the knob of Pilot Mountain. It’s crowded up there but accessible for a wide range of people so that’s good. If you don’t prefer crowds go at the beginning or end of the season. Season runs May through October I believe.

Great views over Burkes Garden

We've made this hike several times with our dogs. It is a great shorter hike with great views over Burkes Garden (nicknamed God's Thumbprint). At the top is a clearing where camping is possible. There is a shelter at the top; this location is located along the Appalachian Trail and has wodden bunks and single platforms for pads and sleeping bags. There is also a fire pit located outside the shelter.

A State Park Campground for Almost Every Type of Camper

I could easily give this campground five stars, but I am the type of tent camper that likes more wilderness. This campground actually a few "campgrounds" within the park and for almost every type of camper. Camp Burson is the first one you see upon entering the state park (as far as I know, since the park is really lonnggg! It is best suited for RVs, but there are gravel spaces for tents. Another campground in the park has pull-through sites, but there were also a couple of tents there. Since we are mainly tent campers, we went to the third camping area, which also had yurts. The yurts have one double bed but not water. The part that I didn't like, but many tent campers would love, is that you have to pitch your tent on a wooden deck. It's great for camping in the rain because the water doesn't have a chance to puddle. However, I'm the type that likes more primitive camping out in the woods, but I'm not holding that against Hungry Mother. Hungry Mother is a great state park, and the sites are wonderful (unless you are strange like me and prefer more primitive camping). As we drove around, we also saw several cabins and at least one or two lodges. I got the feel that it was almost a gated community, which for some people is not a bad thing. Again, there are opportunities for almost every type of "camper."

As far as I know, this is the first state park that had a restaurant. Unfortunately, we were there in April before it opened, so we missed out on that. The bath and shower facilities are modern with tile floors, which I find as a pleasant surprise for a state park. Camping there is April can actually be a good thing. You can avoid the crowds at the beach (although the water is cold) and there are a good number of empty campsites. This state park also has canoe, kayak, and paddle boat rentals. There is a basketball court and a playground, which is next to the beach. We didn't really stay long enough to enjoy the hiking trails or the fishing, but there are several hiking and biking trails from easy to moderate. The beauty of this park is amazing! With the background of mountains behind the lake, it doesn't get much better. I really would love to go back again and camp for more than just one night to enjoy it all.

Absolutely awesome. Very clean and lots for kids to do.

Very clean campground. Has nice pool with waterside and game room with bowling and food and much more. The owners are the best people as well. They are so good to out camping club. Our favorite place.

One of the best

Cute campground with the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen. If you’re in the tent sites, prepare to go on a little hike up some stairs to reach them. But they are lit with string lights on the way up. When we arrived it was pouring the day before and all the fire pits had puddles inside. All we had to do was tell the owners and they came over with a pump and fixed it. They even had kindling for sale at their shop. No need to purchase wood, there was plenty of it all around you can gather. Overall a good experience!

Amazing experience

Great campsite with an amazing added bonus- WILD HORSES AND PONIES. (Short hike from the campsite) This campsite had everything we needed- Firewood, fire starters, etc. for purchase right there at the campsite. Spaces are a little close together but it’s nothing out of the ordinary for a state park. Great hikes close by with sweet wild ponies that let you get close for pictures. Bathrooms were clean and there was a nice area for a picnic with swings and other things for kids. (Camped June 2 2018)

Lacking

Stone mountain park is amazing but the campgrounds are lacking. The park host was unhelpful and rude. The wood was overpriced and was more kindling than anything else. Very little spots with actual shade. Cramped feeling throughout. The showers/bathroom were disgustingly dirty and for the women's room there is only one large trash bin with zero in the stalls. You tell a pre-teen to walk her sanitary supplies out to the main bin and see the reaction you get! Simple things like that would improve most anyones experience. We deove the rv portion and the lack of shade and space was even worse! The pads are spacious and level but hard as a rock so staking is tricky. We crammed in 2 days worth of activities into one so that we could leave a night early. I think we might have been a little salty and maybe overly harsh in our review because of how we were treated by the host. We've only had one stay that ranked lower than stone though.

Wild Flower Heaven

First thing we were told by the park rangers was to, 'beware of bears"! Seriously! It was a beautiful park with large lake. We hiked to the lake from our site, only 1.2 miles. The lake had a diving platform in the middle, which of course we had to try! The bottom was so deep, I never hit it! Saw many beautiful flowers, and lots of ducks. There was a very clean laundry room.

Mount Rogers

Variety of types of campsites. Amazing sights and wild ponies! The AT provides some great hiking.

Linville Falls

Beautiful scenery, great hiking all around you!

Great Place

Polite staff, relaxed vibe, rustic but clean bathrooms. Campsites on the river. Rushing sounds to pull you to sleep. Tons of hiking nearby but also close to shops and restaurants in Boone.

Great place on a Blue Ribbon Trout stream

Small campground .

Delayed Harvest trout stream , well stocked in spring, larger fish stocked in fall, October I think . Probably 2 - 3 miles of good fishable water . Beautiful 100 yr old church across from the camp ground .

Backcountry camping Grayson Highlands along the Appalachian Trail

Scenic trails crossing multiple terrain with wild horses and steer. AT shelter (but it gets a little loud and party like) - Trails also intersect with the Appalachian Trail. Nice outcropping of trees for hammock hang near huge field of wild berries. Just keep in mind that all kinds of animals like berries as well. Showers are available in the state park (for a small fee) so you can un-stink yourself before returning to the real world from the backcountry. Soap and shampoo are way overpriced at the small campground store in the state park.

Amazing

Probably the only campsite in the Carolinas that I cant put words to reveiw on. Amazing people, food, trails. Wow. Stunned.

Relaxing

This is a very small, secluded campground, but easily able to access a ton of must-see destinations!

Beautiful State Park

Friends and I rented a cabin here the 3rd time. It is simply beautiful. The mountains, creeks and nature are breathtaking. There are a lot of hiking trails near by. From easy to moderate… so something for everybody. The cabins are very nice and clean. They have everything you need. I would definitely recommend to stay here and enjoy this gem of nature.

Wonderful little campground

Great owners. Full hook ups with WiFi, pool, playground, game room, small store, bath house, laundry facilities and more. Dog friendly. Love camping here.

Little piece of heaven!

Love this little piece of heaven! Kept secret cuz it’s so peaceful and the owners are so amazing and friendly! Great environment and actually staying here right now with my husband and kids! Plan to stay!

Great place to camp!

Beautiful place! We camped there toward the end of October 2018. Campsites are level and plenty long enough. Bathhouse was extremely clean. Hosts were very friendly and helpful. We camped with 3 other families. It’s a little hilly for kids to ride bikes, but the 6 kids with us managed to have a great time on theirs! We did not take advantage of the swimming area, but I would not hesitate to use it. Great place to launch a boat. Lake was gorgeous! Absolutely the easiest and cleanest dump station we have ever used! Well designed! Close to Willesboro!

Clean and well-maintained

Friendly and helpful office staff, clean bathrooms, washer and dryer available.

Hiking on the AT

We hiked on the Appalachian Trail. We did not have to hike far to see amazing 360 views! Not very crowded. This was one of my favorite places to camp.

Beautiful Long Hikes

The profile trail is a great hike but it is 3.6 miles of mostly uphill on rugged terrain. Permits are required on this trail. They are free and available at the trailhead. We also visited the swinging bridge which was a very short and windy hike with great views.

Decent

The campgrounds were perfect for a few days and there were enough hiking trails around to keep us busy. Most of the trails were very easy, but the view on top of Stone Mountain was nice. I don’t think it was exceptional but overall was a nice camping trip.