Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 32 ft.
Pilot Mountain is located in North Carolina
28 Reviews of Pilot Mountain
Beautiful and serene

Very peaceful campgrounds with clean facilities. Good hiking, mostly moderate with gorgeous views from the overlooks.

Great hike, nice campground

We enjoyed staying at Pilot Mountain State Park campground. The sites are on a hill, some above and others below the road. We booked site 13 and it is basically on the hiking trail that goes to the Pinnacle. It didn't provide a lot of privacy, but we actually enjoyed watching the hikers walking by. The site provides plenty of shade and trees to hang a hammock. We had a great time at the campsite. The bathrooms and showers were ok, the level you would expect from a state campground - nothing fancy but clean.

We were there on June 30th and it wasn't hot, much better than spending a weekend in the city.

Pleasant

Simple, small campground. Clean and quiet. Plenty of shade. Nice trails. Hike up from campground or drive to summit and hike from there. Dogs welcome.

Overnight Trip

Took a short overnight trip to this campground with my family. Tent sight was very clean and level. Camp host were very nice and friendly. Overall it was a nice experience. The biggest down side was the bath house. There was no heat in the bath house. One shower head was a trickle of water and the other one only got lukewarm.

Ranger Review: Eclipse Sunshirt @ Pilot Mountain State Park

Campground Review:

Pilot Mountain campground is a smaller loop campground with 2 bathhouses (toilets and showers - with FREE hot water!).  Located not far from Winston Salem NC, Pilot Mountain has great hiking and beautiful views from the top.  We enjoy hiking, camping and enjoying the views, while others enjoy bouldering, rock climbing and mountain biking  - an outdoor adventure for all people!

We camped at site #5 this time - on the inside of the loop, though we usually prefer perimeter sites.  We were excited to get out there and hike in the morning before it was too hot.  This campground is sloped, with rolling hills, which makes for a nice loop to walk dogs etc.  Our tent pad was perfectly flat, and dry and we slept with no fly - which made for a gorgeous morning sunrise!

Our tent pad was also much lower than our campfire, which meant we could lay IN our sleeping bags and look out at the fire - which was awesome!  We did check out some other sites for next time - as we prefer flatter sites where we can walk more easily at night without tripping (so often) over rocks.   We also saw deer early in the morning!

We hiked to the top on the Grindstone Trail (about 2 miles) to the top and enjoyed an early morning view of the surrounding communities.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time.  Today I am reviewing Eclipse Sunshirts ( https://eclipseglove.com/collections/all-eclipse-sun-products).  I often dress my kids in long sleeve hiking shirts to protect their skin and was excited to try a unique sun shirt that I could wear - that wasn't skin tight!  I tested the Equinox hoodie and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  I was hesitant that their products were one size fits all - but we have a medium, large and an XL in our family and we all wore the shirt and one point or another and  LOVED it!  (See how it fits us all in the pictures below!)

The design is like a large sweatshirt - only their are holes under your arms and on your sides to allow circulation (and a little breeze!).  I especially liked the shirt when we were at the top of Pilot Mountain because there is limited shade, depending where you are standing.  I could see this shirt being useful on other hikes when we hike on balds and cross many peaks.

This shirt was especially beneficial in direct, HOT sun (and it was a 97 degree day - so perfect opportunity!).  In the shade, I prefered to take it off, to allow more breeze and have less fabric touching my skin.  Without a doubt, moving back into the sun, I was cooler WITH the shirt ON than with the shirt off.  I have since used the Equinox hoodie when gardening, walking the dog and even at my school's field day!  For sun protection that does not involve chemicals, I cannot recommend it enough.

Great Park

Every site is unique! 2 bath houses which were older but well kept. I wish they would have had one on each end. Placement was a bit weird. Don't worry if you forget a garbage bag, they have some available by the dumpster. There are a few sites with 2 tent pads and a couple sites that basically have their fire pits next to each other so if you are planning to camp with others those would be good sites. If not, you might want to call in. We camped at site 3 and LOVED it. Bit of a hike to the bathroom but not a big deal, i mean, you are probably headed here to hike anyways! You are going to love these unique sites.

Wow

First, campsites are the most unique I've ever seen. Feels like you're camping in the mountains. Trails are amazing and views are unreal. Two bathroom and shower locations are old but clean. Firewood is 6$ a bundle. Make sure you have cash cause that's all that works here. Great shade cover on most sites. Will come back for sure.

Enjoyable tent camping and hiking

My husband and I just returned from a May visit to this campground. It is fairly small, 43 camp sites. No water and electric hookups which we sort of prefer as it seems to be less attractive to mega sized RVs with noisy generators. It was a ratio of about 75%/25% tents to smaller RVs when we were there. Camp site has raised level tent sites not concrete, but hard packed dirt. Also, picnic table and fire pit. The grill on the fire pit was adjustable for height to the coals which was kind of cool. Bath house was a little rustic but plenty of hot water. Firewood is available from the camp host for $6 a bundle. Cash only. If you’re not in good shape get a site above the bath house. Below the bath house involves a good little climb every time you have to go!

Best part of this campground is that it is right on the trail to the summit. The first trail is Grindstone Trail which is a 2 1/2 mile up and back. It’s a moderate trail with equivalent inclines, declines, and level switchbacks. I’m 63 and healthy and it was an appropriate challenge for me. To get to the summit it’s about a half mile of strenuous climb on the Ledge Springs Trail. That part is strenuous in my opinion.

You can also drive up to the summit where you get views of the Yadkin Valley and the knob of Pilot Mountain. It’s crowded up there but accessible for a wide range of people so that’s good. If you don’t prefer crowds go at the beginning or end of the season. Season runs May through October I believe.

Easy access for the injured

Stayed here after visiting the Divine Llama Vineyard. Very convienient location. Unfortunatley I had an injured foot so I couldnt hike much but it was easy to drive up to see the overlook views of pilot mountain. I can’t wait to go back when I’m able to hike!

Cozy campground, easy access, drive in, open area

This campground was a cozy drive-in but had few trees in summer which allowed for an exposed feeling. The campground itself was mediocre but the surrounding hikes and views were incredible. Amenities were great, but there was no challenge involved.

Year 2021 Flag