the dyrt
No Sewer Hookups
No Water Hookups
Pilot Mountain State Park is located in North Carolina
20 Reviews of Pilot Mountain State Park
Easy access for the injured

Stayed here after visiting the Divine Llama Vineyard. Very convienient location. Unfortunatley I had an injured foot so I couldnt hike much but it was easy to drive up to see the overlook views of pilot mountain. I can’t wait to go back when I’m able to hike!

Cozy campground, easy access, drive in, open area

This campground was a cozy drive-in but had few trees in summer which allowed for an exposed feeling. The campground itself was mediocre but the surrounding hikes and views were incredible. Amenities were great, but there was no challenge involved.

Great Commodities

This campground has bathrooms for males and females with running water, soap and sinks.

Both bathrooms surprisingly also have warm showers!!!

Praise the Lord! I was especially grateful because my back fell out while sitting in camp chairs around the camp fire with my fiancé and our bible study group. I had to hobble slowly with a hiking stick to reach it, but the warm water was a blessing to have to soothe my taut back muscles.

The incident happened on June 9th, 2018 a Saturday and my chiropractor would not be open until Monday.

Our campsite was acceptably flat enough under the tent and I was able to fall asleep eventually.

Local favorite, easily accessible for families

This campground is located just NW of Winston Salem. The campground is mostly wooded and shady with many rocks. Water and trash are readily available. The bath house is extraordinarily clean, with showers, changing area and clean toilets and sinks. Fire pit and picnic tables are at every site - yet many sites are close together and very rocky for tent camping.

We enjoy hiking to the top from the campground on well marked trails. The views are great and boulders are fun for the kids to play on!

Ranger Review: “GreenBelly’s Meal2Go at Pilot Mountain State Park, NC”

Campground Review:

Pilot Mountain State Park is located in Pinnacle, NC, approximately 2.5 hours away from Asheville, NC and is known for it’s giant pinnacle, Pilot Mountain, that rises 2,000 feet into the clouds. At the base of a windy road leading up to Pilot Mountain lies the campground, approximately 2 miles from the top. This beautiful campground was centrally located within the state park and gave quick access to a wide variety of easy to strenuous hiking trails. Most of the trails leave directly from the campground. In addition to hiking, Pilot Mountain is known for it’s steep cliffs that give easy access to rock climbing and rappelling. There is a trail leading from the parking lot and traverses above the climbing area so you have quick access to set anchors from the top. Additional anchors are bolted at the top of most routes for easy top roping. The campground itself offered a fire ring, picnic table, and a man-made flat area to pitch a tent at each site. The sites were somewhat close together but we did not have any issues with noise during our stay. There were several clean bath houses throughout. Each one offered flushing toilets, and hot, running water for showers, all of which were free. There was potable water located next to the site and a separate area to clean dishes. Each site also had a ton of shade. Trees surround every inch of the park so there was plenty of space to hang a hammock and get relief from the burning sun. Most sites looked large enough for the average sized RV. The park’s host drove around checking in and offering $5 bundles of wood. The one negative draw back to this campground is that all the sites are on a slope so when it rains, most likely your campsite will too. The park does require a two-night minimum stay if camping over a holiday weekend. Also be aware that the campground entrance closes at 10 pm. You will not be able to enter or exit until the gate opens the next morning. The closest town is 10 miles away in case you forgot anything. Overall, would highly recommend this campground if you are looking for a great place to rock climb and camp for the weekend. We will be back!

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. During my climbing adventures at Pilot Mountain State Park, I got to test out three different Meal2Go packets from Greenbelly: Cranberry/Almond, Peanut/Apricot and Dark Chocolate/Banana (https:// www.greenbelly.co/products/meal2go?variant=19912486532). Let me start by saying how amazingly delicious these meals are. I’m a super picky eater and when I first saw cranberry and apricot, I had second thoughts about trying. Thank goodness my sense of adventure overcame my lack of tastebud exploration. The Meal2Go products are full of mouth watering flavor that I could eat over and over again which is crucial if spending time in the back country. They contain all natural ingredients and 1/3 of your daily nutrients. It lacked that chemical flavor most hiking bars have giving way to a natural tasting bar. They also had the right balance of chewy yet crunchy. Greenbelly designed these products with backpacking in mind. While we didn’t get a chance to use backpacking, it did supply a ton of energy for a full day of climbing. The one draw back I will say is the weight of the product. Since it was designed for backpacking, I was expecting it to be much lighter for what you get. There are two bars in each packet and the weight is 5.5 ounces. And while that doesn’t sound like a lot, it seemed heavier than my average backpacking bar. I will say though, I’d much rather be carrying slightly more weight in my pack if it meant I get to have a healthier/tastier option while rock climbing or playing in the back country. I would highly suggest checking out this product!

Very well kept and climbing go to

This park is clean, convenient, and offers really good single pitch climbing routes. Most camping sites are well made with pads, table, and fire pit. They are well shaded as well.

friendly camp host, good spot

The park was beautiful and the campground is set back in the woods, with plenty of space between the sites. Nice tent pad, picnic table, and fire ring. Restrooms were okay, typical state park campground (shower was slightly warm). The camp host was so nice- I didn’t have any cash, but he gave us a small bundle of wood for free. Great camp ground!

We loved Pilot Mountain State park!!

We had a great visit at this campground.The host were great when we were there. The bathrooms could use a facelift but they were clean.Its a great place to go hiking!!

Easy going, great for new campers

Simple camping area near the lower elevations with clean bathrooms and firewood available. Parking is sorta limited so getting there early is definitely recommended but the trails are great for all levels of experience. They also have a look out that you can drive to up near the top of the mountain

Quick visit

Monday, May 7, 2018- We were headed north and used PMSP as a overnight rest. We had a reservation that was not needed, the campground was 80% empty. Some of the driveways are not very flat and some are quite short so be careful which one you reserve. The views are awesome on a clear day. The leaves were just coming out, the campground would be very shady in a few more days. It is a very rocky area so be careful walking to the bathroom at night. The faciities were old but clean and shower was hot. Hope to visit again this fall.