Yurts
About Claytor Lake State Park
Claytor Lake State Park is located in Virginia
10 Reviews of Claytor Lake State Park
Clean quiet and friendly

We took our puppy on his first camping trip here. Every camping spot had plenty of space. Our spot included a grill and campsite. There is also a camping manager type person who drives around and sells firewood and helps answer any questions. There are bathroom facilities located in the middle of the area. The camping spot is about a 15 minute walk to the lake or a very short drive. We will definitely be staying here again!

State Park with Hiking, Water Sports, and Lots of Amenities

If you are looking for a state park with the amenities of a national franchise campground, look no further. I was surprised during our stay in this park. The sites are level and many are shaded. Although we are tent campers, RV campers WILL NOT be disappointed. While we were there, we were able to check out other sites before the season has gotten into full swing. There is even an area for group primitive camping. There is a complete marina for motor boats, and you can feel at ease launching your kayak as well. I didn't take my kayaks this time, but I plan to in the future. There is a swimming beach and group picnic shelters as well. I believe, if I am not mistaken, there is also a conference center. For the RVers, there is a dump station at the campground. The bath house was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be like the bath houses at state parks I have visited before with bare concrete floors and cold water showers, if any at all. The bath house we used had tiled floor showers and marble/granite counter tops. I highly recommend Claytor Lake, and I will be back!

Great campground

Wonderful area! We can camp and the campsite was level. Clean bathrooms. Trails are marked well. Beach area is large.

Nicely kept RV spots. Conveniently located bath house. We got sites right next to our friends where we wanted to be. The lake and beach area were beautiful. Sand was soft and very clean. Free entrance to the beach while staying at the campground which is nice. We would definitely stay again if we were passing through.

Very woodsy, great camping area lovely river,water cafa

Many trails to hike well maintained.great place for the 4th of july

Great Camp ground

plenty of camping and space. nice trails and clean bathhouses.

Dog Friendly

The sites are hit or miss on size and the host is constantly hovering which is a bit weird but the park is nice and dog friendly. The sites are just gravel. The beach is nice.

RANGER REVIEW: Renogy Solar Backpack at Claytor Lake State Park, Dublin, VA

Campground Review: Claytor Lake State Park, Dublin, VA

Claytor Lake State Park, Dublin, VAhttp://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/claytor-lake#general_information

A beautiful and well situated waterfront State Park 2.7 miles from I-81. Claytor Lake SP basically inhabits a peninsula that juts out into the meandering Claytor Lake. A free public boat landing splits off to the right at the park entrance…where power boaters gain their access for fishing, water sport activities or relaxing.

Claytor Lake State Park sprawls out in every direction, with four RV/camper/tent campground loops A, B, C, and D loops (A was closed during our visit in early May). B loop also has four new Yurt rentals with functional wraparound decks (one handicap accessible). Each loop has a bathhouse, and each site has water/electric. C and D loops offer little to no site to site privacy, and loops A and B sites are wooded and angled to afford a scant more privacy.

Cabin rentals are available along the lake in a more separate area, as if the designated swimming and marina areas. Some sites are reservable online and brightly marked as such, others are self-pay. Prices seem high to me ($36.59 water/electric sites)and out-of-staters get dinged with an even higher rate ($41.86).

Want to use the State Park simply to hike the trails?…$5 parking fee for residents and $7 for non-residents. State Park Launch/Park $7 and $9 respectively. I realize parks are always underfunded and need to offset the deficit, but I don’t appreciate singing out-of-staters with a higher fee. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGgIqZOH2Ps

Each loop has its own host and each cares for the loop’s grounds and bathhouse with meticulous care.

There are a fair amount of trails in the park (roughly 5 miles worth). Trails are wide and seemingly cleared of leaves…new trail signage and tree placards abound, as new benches strategically located near lake views. Signage also admonishes against use of nonmarked or unauthorized trail blazing…as well as no random swimming or cliff jumping. The big plus…you can MTB the trails! I did not inquire, but some signage lends itself to the idea a local Boy Scout troop maintains part of the trail, as Scout signage exists. There was also evidence a local 5K run takes place on the trails.

The beach and boat area are nicely distanced from the RV/Camper/tent campsites.

Lake views are serene. Homes dot the opposite banks, but most are so nicely manicured you wistfully gaze dreaming of owning one. My particular favorite rests upon a high, sheer rocky cliff.

Weekdays early May saw minimal campers.

A very nice, well-maintained State Park worth visiting!

Product Review: Renogy Solar Backpack

Renogy Solar Backpack https://www.renogy.com/

As a review ranger for TheDyrt.com, the Renogy Solar Backpack https://www.renogy.com/renogy-solar-backpack/ was provided by Renogy for testing and review.

Dimensions: 18.1”h x 11.8”w x 5.9”d

Capacity: 20 liter

Weight: 2.2 lbs.

Solar Panel Dimensions: 11.3”x9.7”

The Integrated solar panel has one USB port.

The solar panel module converts solar power into DC power…utilizing an electrical management system with a stable 5V DC output.

User Guide solar panel specifications place maximum rate of power at 5.6W and maximum current output at 1.2A.

Interestingly, instructions warn of using the solar panel “when relative humidity is higher than 80%…” Not too encouraging for here in SWFL. We’ll see if and how it’s affected.

Both materials and construction of the backpack look and feel high quality. Stitching is even and clean.

Fabric is a medium weight packcloth with a blue denim-like coloration, giving it a classy urban appearance.

Interior seams are banded and sewn, preventing fabric fraying or snagging and increasing durability.

Exterior zippers have double-sided closure fabric, minimizing water penetration.

While I would classify this on the lighter side of a daypack, it is loaded with pockets and hidden zippered sleeves. Though it does have dual “zipper-expandable” water bottle pockets on each side…I believe this fits more into an urban backpack style. It’s so sharp, I don’t want to soil it’s sophisticated look.

But who am I to limit how someone may choose to use this wonderfully clever backpack.

Shoulder straps are 2.5” wide and possess an “anatomical curve.” The padding is rather thin. Strap webbing is stout and buckles are bar-tacked for strength. The padded lower lumber region contains a clever “hidden” zippered pocket. A similar padded area like the lumbar pad tops the upper shoulder area but does not have the hidden zippered pocket. Much to my dismay, no waist-belt or sternum strap are offered. When wearing a nylon rain jacket during downpours, I did get frustrated with shoulder straps that wanted to slide off my shoulders…a problem that a sternum strap would eliminate. To be fair, if the outer rainshell was a different texture or material, shoulder straps may not have been prone to slide.

A cavernous zippered padded computer sleeve is located on the wearer’s back-panel right side…the full height and width of the backpack. My 17” Toshiba laptop slid right in.

The outermost pocket zips entirely off and reverses which exposes the integrated 5W solar panel. A center zipper reveals a myriad of interior pockets, some designed for the charging devices (marked by device icons) and others for writing utensils and smaller personal items in three mesh pockets. The iPad sized pocket is thinly padded. A snap hangs from webbing for your keys.

The main body of the pack has a 3/4 zipper and offers one large pocket to separate from the rest of the main compartment. This area offers roughly 4” of depth to store belongings.

Solar panel:

Follow directions and remove the thin clear protective sheet on the solar panel grid.

Full exposure to direct sunlight is imperative to assist in charging. I found this Renogy Solar Bsckpack at 5.6W is obviously a much slower charge than their 10W Portable Folding Solar Panel.

Through automotive glass I experienced a reading of a charge but the mobile device never gained a percentage. In direct sunlight, while using my iPhone 7, I saw a 1% gain every four minutes. USB ports feel loose or sloppy in their connectivity, which I’m certain affects charging…this is the OEM iPhone7 charging cord, my Verizon work phone’s OEM cord and an aftermarket cord.

If using the Renogy Solar Backpack for light hiking purposes, care must be given not to damage the solar panel screen, from outside abuse if left exposed or from packed items if zipped facing the pack interior. Sharp or pointed objects can perforate the panel. If this were to occur, Renogy claims this will not render the solar panel inoperable but be assured it will reduce charging capabilities.

Initially, I was concerned about the water repellency of the fabric and zippers…but after being caught in several West Virginia downpours, both performed admirably. No water penetrated. However, I would highly recommend picking up a rain cover if you truly want to hike with the Renogy Solar Backpack.

Final Thoughts

Personally, I really like the Renogy Solar Backpack. Though it may not see much of the backcountry, it accompanies me, daily, in my work truck and short treks into the woods. It’s overall functionality far outweighs any negatives I have mentioned, keeps my job site paperwork nicely organized and keeps my handheld devices charged and operational. Not to mention it’s good looks!

Something for everyone

This beautiful state park offered large, leveled, gravel area for our teardrop trailer. Site had a picnic table, large fire ring, electric and water hook up. Sites were private due to trees around each site.

Our site was #35 which was a lovely end spot. It was also diagonally across from the bathrooms/shower. Site had plenty of room for our teardrop camper, The Clam screened shelter, and our Jeep.

Campground was around a beautiful lake that had a full marina - boat ramp, slips, dock house, kayak and paddle board rentals. May have also had other watercraft rentals - saw really cute pontoon boats. There was a bass fishing tournament being held while we were there. Also had a bunch of hiking trails in various lengths and levels of difficulty. Park ranger had scheduled lectures for children and adults around a campfire in the early evening.

Bathrooms: 3 showers, 3 stalls. Clean, no bugs. Were a little run down but clean. Shower had good water pressure and water was hot. Lighting in the women’s bathroom was dark by the showers and flickering (horror movie style) but clean.

We saw turkey vultures, deer, and woodpeckers near our campsite. Wish we had more time there to explore the trails - had something for everyone.

Fantastic Stay!

My family and I stayed in one of the cabins offered at this park. We were very pleased and would absolutely return! The facility was very nice and cozy. The bed wasn’t super comfortable but it beat sleeping on the floor! We had a cabin right next to the lake and loved it! It was overall a quick trip but worth it!