Metolius, OREGON

Camping Oregon Metolius

Most Recent Metolius Camping Reviews
So Incredible!

I have stayed there twice now. I love it so much! Both times we have snowshoed in and even thou the conditions weren’t perfect, we had a Blast!

Loved it.

I really enjoy this campground. Has an actual bathroom, very clean. The Camp host was very nice and had firewood to buy. Our campsite was flat and large, enough room for large tents.

Awesome Views & Solitude

First off, I had a great time staying here. Before I arrived I had some ideas of what my stay would be like and while I did have a nice stay, it was not exactly the trip I had expected. I am a female in my early twenties and was tent camping solo for the first time. I grew up camping with my family so I am experienced but this was my first time camping completely alone. When I planned my trip I assumed this was a spot where other travelers and campers would stay so I was hoping that the presence of other people would provide some comfort to counter the fact that I was camping alone. When I arrived there were people in the day use area but as I drove back to where people would normally camp there was nobody in sight. As the evening came I realized there was not going to be any other campers for miles. Needless to say I made it through the night just fine with no emergencies but I was so nervous the whole time that I had a very restless sleep with my hand practically on my bear spray all night.

I woke up the next morning, went on a beautiful hike with some amazing views and continued on my road trip. Overall the location is great, I would camp here again if I were with other people or if I were staying in a converted van or camper of some sort. But being a solo, young, female tent camper in this location without any other campers around for miles was a little too scary for my taste.

Beautiful views

We have gone here twice and each time have done different activities. The last time we brought kayaks and paddled down the curvy stream to the main lake, which was very shallow! The evening air is crisp even in the summer which I enjoy after a long hot day hiking on the many trails in the area. There are a few sites here that I prefer which are the closest to the end of the campground next to the creek. We have not had any fellow campers while we were there but we go in the middle of the week due to the high traffic on the weekends. It is a little bit more open so if you want privacy bring some tapestries. I wouldn't bring a rv or anything, maybe a camper on a pick up truck.

Beautiful late in the season

We went Scott Lake in early October 2019 and had the chance to receive the first snowfall of the season. There are a few spots right along the lake that are pull in for vehicles (a few that you have to hike to the lake but not that far). Farther down the road are hike in spots that we will be going to with family next year. It was peaceful and quiet and we never heard a peep from any of the other campers. The camp sites were super clean and very well laid out. The lake was low so I had to dock my kayak where the channel was between the two main parts of the lake was and explored the rest on foot. My three dogs loved it there and loved swimming in the lake. It was an overall great experience and we will definitely be back again next summer!

Tent Sites On Gravel

Very uncomfortable night, tent sites were on gravel. However, very nice staff & clean facilities.

Mountains

Every site has a Mountain View. Sites right next to dirt road so it can be pretty dusty.

Nice private sites in the trees with a few having lake views. Beautiful hike around the lake.

Location location location

Forested Campground in Willamette National Forest on the banks of a river. However, location location location. If you camp here you’ll want to get a spot on the river side and you can hear the rushing of the creek.

However, the whole campground is right next to Highway 22, so even if you are lucky enough to be camping on the river side and hearing the river you may still hear the freeway. If you are stuck on the inland spots you literally can walk out of your tent and onto the highway within 10 feet.

Drinking water available on site along with vault toilets. Mostly tent campers and small RVs or trailers. Very cheap as its on National Forest land.

One of my favorite state parks

Tumalo State Park is one of my favorite state parks in one of my favorite areas of the state. The camp hugs the Tumalo River (though no campsites are along the river). There’s an awesome but well-loved day use area with swimming and barbecues. You can tube along the basalt rock wall and there's a grassy area for picnics.

The campsites include tent and electric RV sites nestled up against basalt rock hills. Sparsely forested, so plenty of sun, but some sites also have shade. Flush toilets, showers, and very cool yurts that are popular.

Minutes from downtown Bend if you want to get fancy, but also located next to all the outdoor hiking, biking, fishing, and rafting activities in the area. Gets very crowded due to it’s proximity to Bend, especially the day use area.