About Crooked River Campground
4 Reviews of Crooked River Campground
Central Oregon Gem

Ranger Review: OOFOS Recovery Shoes at Crooked River Campground

Campground Review:

The Crooked River Campground is one of two campgrounds in the Cove Palisades State Park. Located in Culver, Oregon, this high desert gem is just above Lake Billy Chinook which lies at the confluence of the Crooked, Deschutes, and Metolius rivers. It is open, airy, and has amazing views of Mount Jefferson, Mount Hood, Mount Bachelor, Broken Top, Three-Fingered Jack, and the Three Sisters. Super clean restrooms and friendly camp hosts, this family-friendly spot is sure to please. There is a swing-set, a couple of nice horseshoe pits, an animal exercise area, and a volleyball pit.

Top reasons I love this campground:

1. Views!! On a clear day, you can easily see the majestic mountains of Oregon.
  2. Open year-round! It’s sister campground, the Deschutes Campground, is only open from May - September.
  3. A short hike up the Crooked River Rim trail offers a spectacular view of the entire area.
  4. Tons of wildlife including, owls, deer, hawks, and lizards to name a few.
  5. Awesome fishing on Lake Billy Chinook. Brown trout, rainbow trout, bull trout, salmon and Kokanee.
  6. Cool geology such as rimrock basalt and lava flows.
  7. The Erickson Air museum is a quick trip into Madras.
  8. Thunderegg digging!!! Dig for your very own Thundereggs at the Richardson Ranch. If your lucky, you will see hundreds to sheep grazing on your way out to the claim.
  9. You can rent a houseboat, kayak, canoe, or fishing boat from the Cove Palisades Marina.
  10. National Natural Landmark - The Island.

Note: VERY busy in the summer. We prefer to go during the off-season when we have the campground, hiking trails, and lake all to ourselves.

…………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the OOFOS Recovery Shoes. I had previously heard of OOFOS from friends who run and spoke highly of how great they are. Well, after a long day of hiking, my tired feet fell in LOVE, love, love, with these shoes! They are insanely comfortable and like walking on two-inches of shock-absorbing heaven! Their revolutionary OOfoam technology absorbs 37% more impact than traditional footwear foam and it’s awesome for aiding achy feet and joints. And that’s not enough, these bad boys are machine washable and bacteria resistant!

I tried two different shoes; the Women’s OOahh Luxe Slide Sandal in Latte ($59.99), and the Women’s OOlala Luxe Sandal in Rose Gold ($64.95

The OOlala Luxe Sandal is my favorite for during the day. It is easy to slip on and off and look cute. I prefer the OOahh Luxe Slide Sandal for the evening when I get super Klassy and wear them with socks.

I give these shoes 5 stars and will be purchasing another pair to keep at work when I kick-off my heels.

Phenomenal Views of Mt. Hood

I love The Cove Palisades area and this is the second time I've stayed at the State Park. Normally I stay at the Deschutes Campground. This year I stayed for 7 days so I could take more time to check out the area. Crooked River looks like just another RV Park, but I went up there and spent some time checking it out. It's a great place and I would stay there in a heart beat!!!! Lots of trees and shade (this place gets super hot) and the best sites for views are on the West outside of the campground where you get stunning views of Mt. Hood. It also has a super easy to access Rim Trail and another nature trail that are super nice.

Nice place to lauch your boats

Perfect spot to launch your boats! Wonderful

Dispersal camping

Driving around Oregon for a few days, we dropped our tent in the grasslands in early March. There was a little bit of snow on the ground in the morning, but the quiet of the area couldn’t be beat. we drove through the OHV area near by and decided to camp outside of it, although we didn’t see anyone there. There was obvious residue of gun fire and trash all over, otherwise it was peaceful