Fires Unknown
Not Reservable
Smith Rock State Park is located in Oregon
29 Reviews of Smith Rock State Park
Unique Landscape, Hikes/Climbs

For climbers: As a climber, this is a must see. You could spend a week here and not do it all.

The routes are heavily trafficked, so well kept a and good bolts. I’d recommend a guide book, you can get one just outside the park at the gear shop/coffee shop.

All levels here for many to enjoy. Lots of folks come from the city, so plenty of gym climbers. Nothing wrong with that, but be ready for some cringe worthy safety knowledge.

Hikers: Misery ridge, don’t be misled by the name, will take you all the way to the top. Sure it is steep, but not very long and doable by most anyone.

You can also swim in the crooked river on hot days, or cold days if you want a ice bath.

Camping: The campsite is right by the trails to get into the park. There are bathrooms and designated cooking areas. The sites are dispersed so you should not have trouble finding at least a place for your tent, but could be crowded.

Exceptional star gazing on clear nights

The bivy camping sites are a short walk in from the parking lot so not a lot of car noise once you've got your tent up. The views are amazing looking across or down into the canyon. Full bathrooms with showers and an exterior dish washing sink.

Favorite campsite of all time

I spent a night here on the tail end of a backpacking trip.The weather was perfect so we cowboy camped. Fell asleep to some of the brightest stars I've ever seen, and woke up to an incredible sunset. Access to hiking and swimming is unmatched.

chaos on a hill side

Usually full of climbers/dirt baggers.  No campfires because of previous forest fires.  Sleep, then get out and enjoy the hike or climbing

Worth it even for a short trip

Smith Rock is a worthwhile destination, even if you only have a day. I'm not a rock climber or very fit hiker (so misery ridge was off the table). There were still great trails to take advantage of along the river, that were less trafficked than the misery ridge trail as well.

Walk-in bivy site is sweet

Walk-in site (the Bivy) is chill. walk-in, pitch tent, done. Yeah you have a lot of neighbors, but people are nice and the price is right ($8 per night for up to two weeks). Has showers and easy access to the climbing. Epic. The ground is pretty nice, not super rocky, but heavy duty tarp would still be a nice way to even things out. Not allowed to sleep in vans etc. tent/bivy only.

Big rocks, beautiful views

Campground is walk in only. There is a common area for cooking and a designated area for camping. No fires allowed but beautiful views anywhere you look. Smith Rock is ideal for climbers of all levels and while I was visiting I saw many rock climbing guides as well. Bathroom facilities were very clean and they do have showers for campers. Lots of hiking trails and dogs are allowed, which is always a plus and necessity for me. Can't wait to return to this beautiful park.

Woke up next to a weird rock!

We got here so late at night I could barely see my hand in front of my face. We walked back into the camp areas and found the only open spot. Pitched the tent and passed out.. I woke up, unzipped the tent and the photo attached was my view.. THIS PLACE WAS MAGIC. The other campers were all adventurers and we heard some great stories from everyone. I loved it here.

Beautiful rock faces

Aamzing rock faces. Many climbers use many walls here to test out their skills. Great to get family pictures taken too! Nice trails to get a workout. Near terrebonne which has stores. Nice place to go for a hike and get away for few hours.

Ranger Review: Renogy Eflex Solar Panel at Smith Rock State Park

Having grown up in Central Oregon, I'm no stranger to Smith Rock State Park. My family used to spend weekends hiking the trails and watching rock climbers defy gravity on the massive basalt walls. I didn't get into rock climbing until college, and it's a shame that Smith was in my backyard and I never took advantage!

When I moved back to Oregon, I knew I'd spend quite a bit of time at Smith Rock, and the campground did not disappoint! We spend a lot of time in dispersed camping on Forest Service roads, so the amenities at Smith rocked!

Tents are pitched at the Bivouac, an area about 50-100ft away from where you park. If you get there early enough, sites along the fence posts offer incredible views of the Crooked River and basalt monoliths. However, there are plenty of places to pitch your tent, and even some good trees for hanging a hammock.

In the center of parking, there are a bunch of picnic tables for the communal eating area. You're not allowed to cook food at the Bivouac, so all meals must be made in the center of the parking lot (I assume this is to mitigate fire hazards). The bathrooms are unbelievably clean and you can take a shower for $2. Alongside the outer wall of the bathrooms, there's a giant sink and dish washing area.

Costs have gone up since I first visited the Bivouac, and are now $8/person/night. Not bad, considering most other parks in Oregon are upwards of $20/night. Parking at the trailhead requires a $5 fee, which is included in your camp fee. Plus, if you have a Parks Pass or Northwest Forest pass, the fee is already covered.

There are only two downsides: 1) No fires allowed, so in turn, no s'mores. 2) Super popular and no reservations. I recommend going early to nab a spot. Arriving too late on a Friday in the summer is an almost guarantee the campground will be full.

5/5 would absolutely recommend!

Renogy Portable Solar Panel Review

It was SUCH a treat to have power at our campsite! I normally let my phone battery drain and wait until I'm home to charge it again. It's nice being completely disconnected, but I like having my phone to keep track of time and to take pictures. With the portable solar panel I was able to do that!

There are a few things to know about the solar panel: it doesn't have a power bank, so whatever energy it gathers from the sun it can't store. You can purchase an attachment from Renogy (a portable power bank) to store the energy as you collect, but otherwise you can plug in your phone's USB cord, set the panel up in direct sunlight, and your device will begin to charge!

When we were at Smith it was 70 degrees and sunny (perfect for climbing!), and with the panel in direct sunlight, I charged my phone completely in less than two hours. The panel comes with two carabiners so you can easily attach it to a pack and charge while you're hiking. It's also scratch and water resistant so you don't have to worry about dirtying it up at camp or on your hike. This seems like a perfect addition to backpacking gear as well so you can keep your devices charged without taking up a lot of space.

5/5 would definitely recommend this product to anyone who camps!