Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland, OREGON

Camping Oregon Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland

Most Recent Ochoco National Forest and Crooked River National Grassland Camping Reviews
Awesome Views & Solitude

First off, I had a great time staying here. Before I arrived I had some ideas of what my stay would be like and while I did have a nice stay, it was not exactly the trip I had expected. I am a female in my early twenties and was tent camping solo for the first time. I grew up camping with my family so I am experienced but this was my first time camping completely alone. When I planned my trip I assumed this was a spot where other travelers and campers would stay so I was hoping that the presence of other people would provide some comfort to counter the fact that I was camping alone. When I arrived there were people in the day use area but as I drove back to where people would normally camp there was nobody in sight. As the evening came I realized there was not going to be any other campers for miles. Needless to say I made it through the night just fine with no emergencies but I was so nervous the whole time that I had a very restless sleep with my hand practically on my bear spray all night.

I woke up the next morning, went on a beautiful hike with some amazing views and continued on my road trip. Overall the location is great, I would camp here again if I were with other people or if I were staying in a converted van or camper of some sort. But being a solo, young, female tent camper in this location without any other campers around for miles was a little too scary for my taste.

Beauty as far as the eye can see!!!

My 12 year old son loved the hikes here, as did we parents. Wonderful scenery!!!

Tent Sites On Gravel

Very uncomfortable night, tent sites were on gravel. However, very nice staff & clean facilities.

One of my favorite state parks

Tumalo State Park is one of my favorite state parks in one of my favorite areas of the state. The camp hugs the Tumalo River (though no campsites are along the river). There’s an awesome but well-loved day use area with swimming and barbecues. You can tube along the basalt rock wall and there's a grassy area for picnics.

The campsites include tent and electric RV sites nestled up against basalt rock hills. Sparsely forested, so plenty of sun, but some sites also have shade. Flush toilets, showers, and very cool yurts that are popular.

Minutes from downtown Bend if you want to get fancy, but also located next to all the outdoor hiking, biking, fishing, and rafting activities in the area. Gets very crowded due to it’s proximity to Bend, especially the day use area.

Difficult to find

There are 2 Campground’s in the same area with similar names the one we stayed at didn’t have a pier and the other one did. Since we stayed here in October we really didn’t need a reservation but we didn’t know that prior. It would of been easier just to show up because the one we stayed at was hard to find. Anyway we were practically the only ones there. The reservoir is contaminated. There is duck hunting allowed here which is weird being such a small place. There’s really no place to hike and that’s what we like to do but it’s close to Smith Rock which is Amazing and I recommend you go there but stay away from the edge because it’s dangerous. Smith Rock is a State Park with Spectacular beauty in a canyon like setting.

Beautiful sunrise

I was super desperate when I pulled into this campground at 10 pm. 15 felt like a steep price for what it was, primitive camping with vault toilets, but the sunrise was pretty spectacular, and there is pretty convenient lake access, for those who need that. As I showed up so late, I car camped so can't say anything about the tent spots, but there are big RV spots.

Small Campground on the Crooked River

This small campground is one of many along the Crooked Wild and Scenic River.  It has only 7 spots, 1 being a group site.  The campground sits between the Crooked River and The highway.  Luckily the highway is not a busy one and traffic didn't cause too much noise at night.  The spots were large and could fit multiple tents or some RV's depending on size.  Some of the spots were next to the River while a couple were nearby the river and more next to the highway.  There were several river access spots for people looking to fish.  I did stay here during hunting season, so a lot of the people camping looked like hunters and were firing off guns very early in the morning.

There was 1 pit toilet and trash bins, but no potable water.

I would recommend this campground if you find yourself in this area.  Does seem like it could fill up in the summer.

Top of the pass

Camp ground is high up over 4700 feet so even in the summer it tends to get a little chilly at night but not bad.

This is a medium busy campground right on the maon road, but its never too noisy after dark.

The place is very clean and the vault toilets well looked after and not stinky!

The spaces are a good size and the ones for tent camping are at the back of the loop.

Not much trails but you can find something to do.

One of my best nights camping was ip here. During the week late summer, Huge full moon, then the coyotes began to yip/howl..magnificent

Secluded

Nice free camp ground.

Have to becafreful and not pass the road you need to take off 26.

The road to the campground goes through private ranch lands then up into the forest.

The road is paved but has a few cattle grids and often times cattle laying on the road, but they move .

This place is never really busy even in the summer, but there is often a couple of sites taken.

Some nice trails lead off from the back of the site.

This is a nice place just to get away and miraculously i get a couple of bars on my AT&T cel.

Clean and friendly

Very clean state park campground. Camp hosts were awesome, other campers very respectful. Very close to town and nature. Most full hookup sites seemed easy to maneuver with RV/trailer. We had 30’ TT and had no issues. Nice paved sites with bench and fire pit. Book early!