Mt. Hood National Forest, OREGON

Camping Oregon Mt. Hood National Forest
Most Recent Mt. Hood National Forest Camping Reviews
Can't complain - Quiet and Free!

Turkey Hole is actually an angler's water access site on the Klickitat River but we used it for a dispersed campsite in winter while enjoying the wine areas of the gorge & post skiing at Mt Hood. Since it is free (as of 2018 for up to 14 nights) I would guess it can become quite busy at certain times of the year. We visited in Feb on a cold snowy weekend and there was only one other camper. There is a bathroom there also, but no running water.

Compact & Crowded.... but oh those Columbia Views!

Memaloose is a popular busy Oregon State Park with a compact layout and close together, less than private sites.  Not our ideal campground.  What it does offer to offset the negatives though are beautiful views of the Columbia River and easy access to Hood River and all of its attractions.   We had no reservations on a Sunday in July and lucked out and a pretty decent spot was available, B35, with views of the river.*** I think B33, might be the best spot in the park. For a crowded park, with close together sites, it was surprisingly quiet and we had a great night sleep.

Lovely! Cute!

I’ve stayed at this camp ground a hand full of times. I live maybe 15 20 minutes away and it’s always great! The camp ground is a good size with many tent and RV sites. If you get the right spot it can be a very private experience and you could be close to the river. Otherwise some sites can be kinda small and close. But there’s many sites to chose from and gets pretty popular with a lot of traffic. Showers were recently re painted during last visit and the bathroom is ok.

Busy

This could be a beautiful campground if it wasn’t for all the people. We were there later in the summer so maybe it’s nicer earlier but there was trash everywhere. Too bad some people have no respect for these beautiful areas.

Mosquitos!!!

Nice hike around the lake but the bugs are horrible!!

River and trees

Nice campground along the river. Some sites have river views.

In the trees

Small campground in the trees. You can hear the river. Paths lead to a few small areas by the river.

Nice fishing

Small campground near reservoir.

Worth the hike

Limited campsites

Small campground

Great Lakeside campground. Road can be a bit rough. Mosquitos!! Great hiking.

Some sites have beautiful views of the Columbia Rive Gorge.

Shaded and on a creek

Deep in the Willamette National Forest but right off Highway 22, this secluded campground has nice campsites that are fenced with a wooden corral.

Loads of shade as it’s right in the forest. You can heat the river and there are short hikes next to the creek side. The camp site is just behind a fish hatchery which is pretty cool to check out with the kids.

Water on site. Vault toilets. Very affordable for tent and RV.

Well loved but well maintained park

Pretty awesome campsites right on the river. That is incredibly well appointed. Full hookups for RVs electric and water. Dump station.

Some Tent sites have a built in shelter over picnic tables. Communal recycling bins. Sink dump sites near all campsites. Very nice bathrooms with full showers.

Handful of sites on the river itself. Big group camping sections and awesome group picnic shelter/hall. Day use facilities.

Very wooded and the campsites feel private. Not far from Salem. Playground and activities for the kids. Small info hut and amphitheater. Well loved but well maintained park but is affordable on BLM land.

Wonderful teardrop gathering in The Gorge

Still one of my favorite camping trips each year, and 2019 didn't disappoint. The Annual Gorge Gathering, hosted by Teardrop Trailers of Oregon and Washington, is held here each Memorial Day weekend. Find out more information here:

There's tons of cute trailers to check out, nice people, pot lucks, a large indoor area with a kitchen, and things to do in the area. Definitely worth checking out if you either have a tear drop trailer or are just interested in seeing some.

Seemed to be more kids this year, as well as more vegetarian options in the potluck, both of which made me happy.

The fairgrounds are also available for other group campground gatherings.

Great hidden gem

Nice spots close to small river and off the road just enough. Awesome spot!

We had a blast! So green and beautiful. Not far from downtown. Lots of space/areas for our kids to run to climb big rocks. We will 100% be back.

Nice riverside sites

Nice easy going campground under big Doug Firs and right on the river.

Its hard to get a site right on the river  but if you do its amazing.

Its pretty peacful after 9 PM..not much road noise from 46..liked it here during the week kits a good place for a solo camper. Weekends great for families.

No cell

Seems Remote

I have found this campground fills up less than tbe others in the area..so if your up here in high summer i would check here first.

It seems more remote than it really is so its nice and quiet..with a creek nearby.

Has a couple excellent sites and a bunch of mediocre ones that would do well for camper trucks

We stopped here for a night with our RV and it was really kid friendly with a small park. I loved how easy it was to check in and navigate. It’s a little crowded. We made our reservations 2 weeks in advance.

Love

I love this park for its location on the Gorge. Beautiful views and great site for an awesome weekend.

Relaxing Creek Side Campground

This small campground sits alongside Candle Creek and is awesome.  The sites are huge and the creek provides great white noise.  The sites are large and can fit multiple tents.  I put my hammock up and relaxed all weekend.

Please note, it is easy to get lost following the android directions.  I followed my phone and went way in the wrong direction before turning around.  If in doubt the camp host at one of the many other campgrounds along the road gave great directions.  Also the road did have big pot holes that could be difficult for low clearance vehicles.

There is also no potable water, so bring your own.

High Lake Campground near Mt. Hood

This campground is on the shores of Laurence Lake.  Almost all of the spots were right on the lake or close enough to have lake views.  It's a smaller campground and the spots are fairly open, so not as much privacy with the neighbors.  The spot I had was right off the boat launch and next to the path for the walk-in spots.  I was only there 1 night, but it would be a great place to camp if you wanted to play on the water, ie SUP or Kayak.  The road leading up to the campground was a bit rough in some areas that lower clearance vehicles would need to be careful on.  There is also no water, so you need to bring your own.  Would definitely recommend this campground.

Small, Quiet Campground close to Mt. Hood

This small campground is a great alternative to the busier campgrounds found near by.  It does not have the views of Mt. Hood like the pictures show, the views of Hood can be found at the day use area on the opposite side of the lake.  There is a great trail that goes all the way around the lake and offers plenty of little spots to stop and fish.  The spots were plenty large enough and had enough space between them to offer privacy from your neighbors.  If you are not able to book a spot in the busier campgrounds near by this is a great alternative.

Southside Detroit lake

Nice campground, but many sites can be very diferent from crowded to nice and private,

Can fill up fast during summer  , but you can usually find a spot during the week.

Toilets are very nice here.

Hists perfect.

Good family campground

Very Quiet.

I love this place, its usually quiet even in Summer and has no cell service whatsoever.

A great place to wander around, do some trails near by then settle down by the campfire with a good book,

It is only a few 100 yards from 22 but you cant really hear much traffic.

My favorite thing to do here on a summer night is to take my chir down beside the hatchery and just watch the stars. Magical

One bad thing i have found is its not well patrolled and now and again some homelsss people take a site..but they seem cool.

Great Lake Views

A stunningly beautiful camp ground when the Detroit lake is not drawn down.

This is a very nice smaller camp ground its is the best for the south side of the lake in my opinion.

Sites are quite spacious though not very private.

The small walk in sites for smaller tents are much more private and have the greatest vews of the lake.

This is another busy summer time family campground but in the spring and fall its quiet and perfect for the solo camper.

There is water available and the hiosts have firewood.

Only bad thing is they close the gates at 10 PM..so be back from the Cedars Lounge in Detroit before then!

Beautiful and Peaceful

This is an excellent little campground just a few miles up FS RD 46 from Detroit.

It can get busy during Summer weekends but mid week you can usually find a nice spot.

The sites are very spacious but at the same time many are very private.

I usually try to get one down by the river. The sound of the rushing water is very calming.

Has water, and vault toilets that are usually kept quite clean.

Highly recommened for families and the solo camper.

Right on Highway 22

Its actually quite a nice campground if you can get some of the spaces right on the Lake.

But you are going to have to book well in advance s this is a very busy place all Summer.

If you dont get a space on the lake you have to camp right beside 22 and this is a very busy roa especially for big semi trucks, so if your in a tent dont expect a peaceful nights sleep ( i bring ear plugs).

This is the kind of place were folks come to party, so if your into that its cool.

Noisy

Used to camp here now and again, but not my thing anymore.

I am at heart a tent camper and used this park when the kids were younger because of the amenities.

But the last time the noise of huge RV generators going for hours and hours was the final straw.

This is a great campsite for huge RVs  for tenters its pretty useless

Beautiful Campground with Huge Trees and Lots of Waterfalls

Since we had a wedding to attend in Oregon, it gave me a chance to visit Silver Falls State Park. My first impression was how crowded the campground was during the middle of the week. The bath house was more than I expected, especially for a state park. I don’t know whether or not the other Oregon State Parks have modern bath house facilities like this one, but I was impressed. The campsite that I chose was flat and had plenty of shade, and the trees were huge. As a lover of all things natural, especially trees, this was great. It hadn’t rained in a while, so I couldn’t judge how well the site would drain, especially since there were no raised tent pads. The main attraction for this large state park is obviously centered on waterfalls and trails. I didn’t get a chance to explore all of them, but the ones I did get to see were impressive. South Falls is a short hike, and you can walk behind it. From the bridge facing the waterfall, it looks like the Garden of Eden. You can also walk to the top of the waterfall. North Falls also is a short hike. Although it is not as high as South Falls, it is one that is worth the hike. The main campground areas were booked, but the group camping area had quite a few sites available the first day we were there. However, the next day, the group camping area was also filling up since it was getting closer to the weekend. Overall, I was impressed with this campground. Unfortunately, I probably will not get to visit it again for quite a while since I live 2,500 miles away. With that said, I do highly recommend this state park and campground.