Mt. Hood National Forest , OREGON

Camping Oregon Mt. Hood National Forest

Most Recent Mt. Hood National Forest Camping Reviews
Clean, Convenient & River Access

This is a super convenient campground not too far from Portland. Makes for a great group camp experience when you want everyone to post their own way and be in their own sites close enough to one another. Clean, relaxing and great river Access… Though the river is not within close walking distance. It's gotten the road two minutes by car…

So Much Room for Activities!

Love this campground. Very quiet and even has a few dispersed camp spots outside the main area. Had some deer walk right through our camp spot while we sat by the fire.

Beautiful Solitude

This is a small campground (only 13 sites) but it is so beautiful. Lots of space at each site but the camp roads are thin. Don’t bring a trailer longer than 30 ft. It is dry camping but they do have a flush toilet. We reserved in advance. Mid week we had the place to ourselves but it was full on the weekend. There is a trailhead at the top of the campground and and the Rte 30 bike trail at the entrance.

These sites are gorgeous. Nestled in amongst the trees. So peaceful.

Perfect family spot

First off this place is quiet and beautiful! Last i went, i reserved a spot online, highly recommend you do this! The ranger there was overwhelmed with tons of people trying to get in but no availability. It was a sigh of relief when i told her i reserved a spot. Great trails to hike and an area to play in the river.

Creek White Noise

Cozy little campground right next to a rushing creek you get to listen to all night! Deep fire pits. Well maintained.

Thanks

Thanks

Great little hidden gem.

This KOA has been on my radar for some time now, we’ve been looking for a getaway close to home that during our busy season we can get away for the weekend, and be able to run home and take care of business and jet back to camp. It fit all the bills and more. Staff is super friendly and the park is clean and well kept.

Handy Stopping Point

We kind of stumbled into this free spot while heading to a more formal campground near Pelton Dam. As the daylight faded I spotted a pullout/turnaround area which then led to a rather private loop with a great view of the Deschutes River and Lake Simtustus. I had to confirm with the Dyrt BLM map overlay, but I was glad to find myself on public land. It’s not really a place I’d choose to spend more than one night, since it doesn’t really connect to any trails or walking areas, but it was a handy en-route overnight spot, complete with a nice view and bright sunset. It’s only a few miles off Rt. 26, following signs to Pelton Dam. There was plenty of room to turn around my 26’ skoolie. However, I didn’t really see a good place for a tent, but I didn’t look very hard. There were signs of previous users, including a fire ring (which I didn’t use). Since it was the eve of Earth Day, I did collect a bagful of empty cans and trash. Leave no trace, people!

One of our favorites in Central Oregon

We enjoyed a return to this campground and found it less populated in April than it had been when we were here during late summer a few years ago. It's located right along the Deschutes River with a landing used by rafters and fishers. There are lots of trails and roads to walk on, so it would be easy to spend a few nights here. You can't make reservations, although when we found it full last time we were able to share one of the larger sites with a guy who had somehow fit his Class A motor home through the very small tunnel you have to fit through to get here. There's no drinking water, so make sure to bring your own, or be prepared to purify the river water. There's a fair amount of ground cover, so you feel like there's a little privacy between sites. This site will stay on our list of easy favorites in Central Oregon.