Mt. Hood National Forest, OREGON

Camping Oregon Mt. Hood National Forest
Most Recent Mt. Hood National Forest Camping Reviews
Great hidden gem

Nice spots close to small river and off the road just enough. Awesome spot!

We had a blast! So green and beautiful. Not far from downtown. Lots of space/areas for our kids to run to climb big rocks. We will 100% be back.

Nice riverside sites

Nice easy going campground under big Doug Firs and right on the river.

Its hard to get a site right on the river  but if you do its amazing.

Its pretty peacful after 9 PM..not much road noise from 46..liked it here during the week kits a good place for a solo camper. Weekends great for families.

No cell

Seems Remote

I have found this campground fills up less than tbe others in the area..so if your up here in high summer i would check here first.

It seems more remote than it really is so its nice and quiet..with a creek nearby.

Has a couple excellent sites and a bunch of mediocre ones that would do well for camper trucks

We stopped here for a night with our RV and it was really kid friendly with a small park. I loved how easy it was to check in and navigate. It’s a little crowded. We made our reservations 2 weeks in advance.

Love

I love this park for its location on the Gorge. Beautiful views and great site for an awesome weekend.

Relaxing Creek Side Campground

This small campground sits alongside Candle Creek and is awesome.  The sites are huge and the creek provides great white noise.  The sites are large and can fit multiple tents.  I put my hammock up and relaxed all weekend.

Please note, it is easy to get lost following the android directions.  I followed my phone and went way in the wrong direction before turning around.  If in doubt the camp host at one of the many other campgrounds along the road gave great directions.  Also the road did have big pot holes that could be difficult for low clearance vehicles.

There is also no potable water, so bring your own.

High Lake Campground near Mt. Hood

This campground is on the shores of Laurence Lake.  Almost all of the spots were right on the lake or close enough to have lake views.  It's a smaller campground and the spots are fairly open, so not as much privacy with the neighbors.  The spot I had was right off the boat launch and next to the path for the walk-in spots.  I was only there 1 night, but it would be a great place to camp if you wanted to play on the water, ie SUP or Kayak.  The road leading up to the campground was a bit rough in some areas that lower clearance vehicles would need to be careful on.  There is also no water, so you need to bring your own.  Would definitely recommend this campground.

Small, Quiet Campground close to Mt. Hood

This small campground is a great alternative to the busier campgrounds found near by.  It does not have the views of Mt. Hood like the pictures show, the views of Hood can be found at the day use area on the opposite side of the lake.  There is a great trail that goes all the way around the lake and offers plenty of little spots to stop and fish.  The spots were plenty large enough and had enough space between them to offer privacy from your neighbors.  If you are not able to book a spot in the busier campgrounds near by this is a great alternative.

Southside Detroit lake

Nice campground, but many sites can be very diferent from crowded to nice and private,

Can fill up fast during summer  , but you can usually find a spot during the week.

Toilets are very nice here.

Hists perfect.

Good family campground

Very Quiet.

I love this place, its usually quiet even in Summer and has no cell service whatsoever.

A great place to wander around, do some trails near by then settle down by the campfire with a good book,

It is only a few 100 yards from 22 but you cant really hear much traffic.

My favorite thing to do here on a summer night is to take my chir down beside the hatchery and just watch the stars. Magical

One bad thing i have found is its not well patrolled and now and again some homelsss people take a site..but they seem cool.

Great Lake Views

A stunningly beautiful camp ground when the Detroit lake is not drawn down.

This is a very nice smaller camp ground its is the best for the south side of the lake in my opinion.

Sites are quite spacious though not very private.

The small walk in sites for smaller tents are much more private and have the greatest vews of the lake.

This is another busy summer time family campground but in the spring and fall its quiet and perfect for the solo camper.

There is water available and the hiosts have firewood.

Only bad thing is they close the gates at 10 PM..so be back from the Cedars Lounge in Detroit before then!

Beautiful and Peaceful

This is an excellent little campground just a few miles up FS RD 46 from Detroit.

It can get busy during Summer weekends but mid week you can usually find a nice spot.

The sites are very spacious but at the same time many are very private.

I usually try to get one down by the river. The sound of the rushing water is very calming.

Has water, and vault toilets that are usually kept quite clean.

Highly recommened for families and the solo camper.

Right on Highway 22

Its actually quite a nice campground if you can get some of the spaces right on the Lake.

But you are going to have to book well in advance s this is a very busy place all Summer.

If you dont get a space on the lake you have to camp right beside 22 and this is a very busy roa especially for big semi trucks, so if your in a tent dont expect a peaceful nights sleep ( i bring ear plugs).

This is the kind of place were folks come to party, so if your into that its cool.

Noisy

Used to camp here now and again, but not my thing anymore.

I am at heart a tent camper and used this park when the kids were younger because of the amenities.

But the last time the noise of huge RV generators going for hours and hours was the final straw.

This is a great campsite for huge RVs  for tenters its pretty useless

Beautiful Campground with Huge Trees and Lots of Waterfalls

Since we had a wedding to attend in Oregon, it gave me a chance to visit Silver Falls State Park. My first impression was how crowded the campground was during the middle of the week. The bath house was more than I expected, especially for a state park. I don’t know whether or not the other Oregon State Parks have modern bath house facilities like this one, but I was impressed. The campsite that I chose was flat and had plenty of shade, and the trees were huge. As a lover of all things natural, especially trees, this was great. It hadn’t rained in a while, so I couldn’t judge how well the site would drain, especially since there were no raised tent pads. The main attraction for this large state park is obviously centered on waterfalls and trails. I didn’t get a chance to explore all of them, but the ones I did get to see were impressive. South Falls is a short hike, and you can walk behind it. From the bridge facing the waterfall, it looks like the Garden of Eden. You can also walk to the top of the waterfall. North Falls also is a short hike. Although it is not as high as South Falls, it is one that is worth the hike. The main campground areas were booked, but the group camping area had quite a few sites available the first day we were there. However, the next day, the group camping area was also filling up since it was getting closer to the weekend. Overall, I was impressed with this campground. Unfortunately, I probably will not get to visit it again for quite a while since I live 2,500 miles away. With that said, I do highly recommend this state park and campground.

Great Campground near Mt Hood

My husband and I camped here an evening in September. We couldn’t see Mt Hood due to cloud coverage but the lake itself was beautiful. There was a short trail from campground to the lake. Campground was fairly full but very quiet. Sights are fairly private and wooded. Our phones worked just fine here, as well.

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state park's camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

The best part about the campsite is that it's located in the middle of the statepark, there are plenty of trailheads around. We did the whole trail of ten falls - about 10 miles, and we definitely recommend it. The day-use area is also recommended. As it was raining the whole day, we really appreciated, that it was one of the rare places where we found covered grill area so we could prepare lunch here without getting wet.

All in all an A+++ location

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state parks camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

All in all an A+++ location

Suprised

When we pulled in with our 40' Coach I thought oboy I blew it. Getting into our site was a little tight but doable. We were in a pull through tucked in the forest with full hookups. A fire pit and picnic table too! If you go camping to stay inside our Verizon phones, Sprint hot spot and over the air TV all worked. You can hear the train in a distance and a little traffic. It is a great spot and we will come here again.

The water was excellent

This was my inaugural trip with my Roof Top Tent from Tepui.

A quick trip around the camp site and my son and I picked out spot 72 and after paying for the spot it only took a few tries to get the tent level.

Our neighbors were friendly and the white noise from the water helped hide the proximity of our fellow campers.

One of the locals stopped by to comment on my tent and said the salmon were biting - he even gave me a lure (Where am I and who are these friendly folks!?) that he caught a fish on earlier that day. My kid loved that.

He also warned of the chipmunks on the other end of the camp and how persistent they can be if you leave food anywhere they can get to.

The spot we stayed at would have been sweet for ground camping as well. Will be coming here again.

Oh, and the cell reception (AT&T) was good enough to tether and get some work done.

Small rustic and tranquil grounds

Has pit toilets, water and trash, no hookups. If at sites by the water you can hear it and is a great way to listen and fall asleep. A short hike down to the water to cool off and the trail is a great walk. Sites are for the most part very good sized and many you have privacy as well as some pull through. Please note that there is a trail between 9 and 10 as well as 10 having a area hikers might pop Into site from and site 13 edge has a trail down to water so if you don't like people walking up then don't camp in those spots. We didn't mind. Very clean toilets and grounds. Perfect place to just unwind for a couple days

Olallie Lake Rustic Resort Cabin Rental

The Olallie Lake Rustic Resort is a wonderful place to get away from it all and relax in nature on the shore of a lovely high-mountain lake.

Here are a few points of interest:

• Fishing: Olallie Lake is stocked with rainbow trout and brood trout. They rent row boats for trolling. Motor boats are not allowed (which is nice).

• Hiking: There are several miles local trails to hike on. There's a four mile hike around Olallie Lake, the Redlake Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) that can take you all the way to Mexico or Canada.

• Swimming: No swimming is allowed in Olallie Lake.  Head Lake is nearby (within 5 minutes of the store) and has a dock, large rocks to sit on and is a wonderful swimming lake. There are also over 25 lakes in the scenic area to hike to and swim in.

• Dogs: Dogs are allowed! Yay! But they must be kept on leash per Forest Service regulations.

• Getting there: The last ten miles, or so, of the road are pretty rough. Most reasonable cares should be able to make it but I'd suggest a 4x4.

There are cabin and yurt rentals and a little general store which has food and adult beverages. Like most resort stores it's a little pricey.

The cabins are comfortable and have wood stoves (firewood is included).

Views of All Kinds, Massive Quietude

Only four sites here - get in early or on a weeknight. Gorgeous drive through the town of Hood River a big bonus. Once you get in, you’ve got hikes right there with great views of Mt. Hood, the small, charming and swimmable Rainy Lake 2 minutes by walking, and just tons of shade and peace. Even though 3 sites are scrunched together, we didn’t hear our neighbors. A fabulous place to get away.

Campsite was closed

We did a 1 hr detour to go to this camp, but it was closed. We were really mad as we checked on the website, recreation.gov and multiple places to book a place, but we thought one can't reserve but has to be first come first serve. They didn't state anywhere that it's closed for renovation, so we did the detour and ended up only checking out the lake

Gets sold out super quickly

Located by the beautiful Trillium lake, the view from there is unreal. Gets sold out really quickly, we were lucky to get there at 9am and reserve a spot at someone's site who was just checking out.

awesome location, super basic though

On the way to Kiwanis Camp by the road there are spots and as far as we understood, those are for camping, though there was no sign for them. It's at a really great location as it's 3 minutes to Little Zig Zag Falls path also fairly close to Government Camp

Superb camp with awesome amenities

We were so glad we found this campsite, it looks really nice, located by the nice Trucker river, there are sites right next to the river too.

For the price you get showers, drinking water, normal toilets and a clean environment. You can pay with card too using their vending machine which was also super convenient.

Overall one of the best camps we stayed in yet

Ok camp at perfect location

We were lucky and found a spot on Saturday, it's an okay camp, without anything special. Sites are spacious and neighbors are in a nice distance so you get a remote feeling, still we were missing normal toilets and showers.

Location is superb, close to a lot of hike trails/lakes/city probably the best in the area

Exotic High Desert Adventure

One of the most beautiful places I camped in Oregon. The remote location, dry desert landscape, lovely clear river and incredible canyon rock formations make for a very interesting experience. Was there on a Thursday and was the only camper, although there are people using the boat launch during the day. For $8 can’t be beat!