Salem, OREGON

Most Recent Salem Camping Reviews
Standard KOA

Very standard KOA right off the highway.

Love This Park

Good times.

River and trees

Nice campground along the river. Some sites have river views.

In the trees

Small campground in the trees. You can hear the river. Paths lead to a few small areas by the river.

Well loved but well maintained park

Pretty awesome campsites right on the river. That is incredibly well appointed. Full hookups for RVs electric and water. Dump station.

Some Tent sites have a built in shelter over picnic tables. Communal recycling bins. Sink dump sites near all campsites. Very nice bathrooms with full showers.

Handful of sites on the river itself. Big group camping sections and awesome group picnic shelter/hall. Day use facilities.

Very wooded and the campsites feel private. Not far from Salem. Playground and activities for the kids. Small info hut and amphitheater. Well loved but well maintained park but is affordable on BLM land.

4 minute walk from the beach

Stayed at this campground in early fall when temperatures started to drop. Because of this I think it was easy for us to not make any reservations ahead of time. It's a 4 minute walk to the beach, perfect if you're staying in the area for surfing.

Showers and bathrooms were clean and well maintained; camp hosts are very attentive to their campground. We ran into an issue where our car battery died and they had jumper cables for us to use.

While you're in the area, I would suggest hiking the sand dunes, surfing, or checking out the coffee shop/Pelican Pub nearby(all within a 5 minute walk!)

If you like bunnies, I highly recommend staying here. They roam around the campsite and I counted 47 during our two night stay there. Dogs are allowed with an additional fee.

Nice area and plenty of activities

It's a nice area, but has been overrun with homeless people and garbage.

Thousand Trails Pacific City is Great Place To Stay

Thousand Trails Pacific City This was a very nice Thousand Trails. We stay three nights from September 27th through September 30th, 2019, in campsite D15, the stay was free due to our Thousand Trails membership. Our site had electricity and water hook up. The site was level and backed up to McPhillips Drive, we could hear vehicles passing during the day, however, the night was not an issue. The site was quiet and very private. The tall trees and bushes separated us from our camping neighbors.

The campground is at an elevation of 75 ft. and our 28 ft travel trailer easily fits with room to spare in our site. Once we entering the campground, the campground roads are all asphalt as we selected our campsite. The weather was high overcast in the low 60's, the nights low 40s. It did rain hard on Friday and Saturday night, also rained Sunday afternoon. This is a very quiet campground, activities we found at the campground to keep busy were Billiards, a very nice indoor pool, and a warm outdoor spa. The campground has clean free showers, plenty of hot water and not more than a 5 minute walk from our campsite.

Since we arrived on a Friday school day, the campground as not full, there was no waiting for showers. My wife and I enjoyed the campground, we hiked at Cape Lookout and Cape Kiwanda. Had a great time, we will be back to stay at this Thousand Trails.

Everything you need in walking distance and the most beautiful views of the Oregon coast right across the street. Sites are pretty close but since you won’t spend too much time there it’s not an issue.

Southside Detroit lake

Nice campground, but many sites can be very diferent from crowded to nice and private,

Can fill up fast during summer  , but you can usually find a spot during the week.

Toilets are very nice here.

Hists perfect.

Good family campground

Great Lake Views

A stunningly beautiful camp ground when the Detroit lake is not drawn down.

This is a very nice smaller camp ground its is the best for the south side of the lake in my opinion.

Sites are quite spacious though not very private.

The small walk in sites for smaller tents are much more private and have the greatest vews of the lake.

This is another busy summer time family campground but in the spring and fall its quiet and perfect for the solo camper.

There is water available and the hiosts have firewood.

Only bad thing is they close the gates at 10 PM..so be back from the Cedars Lounge in Detroit before then!

Beautiful and Peaceful

This is an excellent little campground just a few miles up FS RD 46 from Detroit.

It can get busy during Summer weekends but mid week you can usually find a nice spot.

The sites are very spacious but at the same time many are very private.

I usually try to get one down by the river. The sound of the rushing water is very calming.

Has water, and vault toilets that are usually kept quite clean.

Highly recommened for families and the solo camper.

Right on Highway 22

Its actually quite a nice campground if you can get some of the spaces right on the Lake.

But you are going to have to book well in advance s this is a very busy place all Summer.

If you dont get a space on the lake you have to camp right beside 22 and this is a very busy roa especially for big semi trucks, so if your in a tent dont expect a peaceful nights sleep ( i bring ear plugs).

This is the kind of place were folks come to party, so if your into that its cool.

Noisy

Used to camp here now and again, but not my thing anymore.

I am at heart a tent camper and used this park when the kids were younger because of the amenities.

But the last time the noise of huge RV generators going for hours and hours was the final straw.

This is a great campsite for huge RVs  for tenters its pretty useless

Nice and Easy

This is  simple, primitive campground mostly centered around a small picturesque lake.

There are a few other sites dispersed in the area. One of the best ones is just around the bend from the lake sites and its of the road and gets more sun, if thats your thing.

When i visited mid week in July it was empty.

Its quite a distance on sometimes very rough gravel roads, with no tirn outs and sometimes large drops on one side, so be very careful with log trucks .

But i made it OK with my beat up old Grand Caravan.

Enjoyed

Beautiful Campground with Huge Trees and Lots of Waterfalls

Since we had a wedding to attend in Oregon, it gave me a chance to visit Silver Falls State Park. My first impression was how crowded the campground was during the middle of the week. The bath house was more than I expected, especially for a state park. I don’t know whether or not the other Oregon State Parks have modern bath house facilities like this one, but I was impressed. The campsite that I chose was flat and had plenty of shade, and the trees were huge. As a lover of all things natural, especially trees, this was great. It hadn’t rained in a while, so I couldn’t judge how well the site would drain, especially since there were no raised tent pads. The main attraction for this large state park is obviously centered on waterfalls and trails. I didn’t get a chance to explore all of them, but the ones I did get to see were impressive. South Falls is a short hike, and you can walk behind it. From the bridge facing the waterfall, it looks like the Garden of Eden. You can also walk to the top of the waterfall. North Falls also is a short hike. Although it is not as high as South Falls, it is one that is worth the hike. The main campground areas were booked, but the group camping area had quite a few sites available the first day we were there. However, the next day, the group camping area was also filling up since it was getting closer to the weekend. Overall, I was impressed with this campground. Unfortunately, I probably will not get to visit it again for quite a while since I live 2,500 miles away. With that said, I do highly recommend this state park and campground.

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state park's camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

The best part about the campsite is that it's located in the middle of the statepark, there are plenty of trailheads around. We did the whole trail of ten falls - about 10 miles, and we definitely recommend it. The day-use area is also recommended. As it was raining the whole day, we really appreciated, that it was one of the rare places where we found covered grill area so we could prepare lunch here without getting wet.

All in all an A+++ location

Amazing campsite close to even more amazing trailheads

We stayed at a rainy day at this state parks camp, it was a good choice though. The campsites are really well maintained, it has clean bathrooms with showers (!) You can get firewood there and sites are not to dense so you get some privacy.

All in all an A+++ location

Small rustic and tranquil grounds

Has pit toilets, water and trash, no hookups. If at sites by the water you can hear it and is a great way to listen and fall asleep. A short hike down to the water to cool off and the trail is a great walk. Sites are for the most part very good sized and many you have privacy as well as some pull through. Please note that there is a trail between 9 and 10 as well as 10 having a area hikers might pop Into site from and site 13 edge has a trail down to water so if you don't like people walking up then don't camp in those spots. We didn't mind. Very clean toilets and grounds. Perfect place to just unwind for a couple days

Okay, Not Great

So much potential being right on the Willamette River, but unfortunately there is basically no view of the water. We had a rough visit that I’m sure was an anomaly. We had a change of itinerary that brought us to Woodburn and had to arrive with no reservations. There were sites available (after Labor Day) so no problem. Were were told to “pick any unreserved site” so we did so. Got unhooked, leveled, and fully set up, then went to register for the night when the ranger told me that the site was reserved. IT WAS NOT TAGGED. So, we had to pack up and move. Total bummer. Beside that, the park is unwatered and was just dry and unattractive. Upside was spacious sites in B loop, but we just had the view of a dried out field. Paved sites, level, with plenty of electric/water sites. I wouldn’t stay here again unless it was in the spring.

Not Camping, Nice Park

Okay, this isn’t really camping, it’s more like parking in a parking lot so don’t have an expectation that it’s a camping atmosphere. That being said, this is a very nice place to get off I-5 and park an RV with all the amenities. You can walk to several restaurants and the outlet mall. There is a great laundry room, clean bathrooms and showers, pool, pet areas, and nicely paved, level, but crowded sites.

crowded but great water access

This is a crowded campsite but the water area makes up for it. Do some homework before you book because some sites are much better than others, the ones on the outer ring by the water are much better than the inside ring, but they book up fast. There is a great beach area with a perfect view of the starry sky at night from it. There are bathrooms and showers that you can use for a fee. The group area is pretty cool and feels secluded from the rest of the campground. Super nice hosts! We will go back for sure!

Island camping

Top reasons I love this campground:

- It’s an ISLAND! How cool is it to camp on an island!
- Beautiful views from the middle of the northern end of Detroit Lake.
- Great for swimming, boating, exploring, hiking, and fishing.
- I bet it’s amazing to stay there over the 4th of July.
- The firework display from the other side of the lake should be spectacular!
- Cheap-$10.
- Only 22 sites.
- I had cell service with AT&T.

Things to note:

- This should be obvious but, you’ll need a boat to get to and from the island. It’s a quick canoe from either side.

- The vault toilets are maxed out. Hopefully, they will be serviced SOON!

- No drinking water, no shower, and no guarantee for the serviced toilets.

- Bring water and TP.

- Fires are allowed and there are several picnic tables.

Worth the Hike Your Car Will Take

If your car can make it up the 6 miles of "road" you'll be glad that you found Elk Lake. I made it up the hill in a 2001 Rav4. You'll definitely want some clearance for the trek up.

I used this campground for my base for hiking Battle Axe Mountain. The sites are not well marked and the campground was pretty empty- even leading up to a holiday weekend. There are fire pits and tables.

The campground is pretty primitive, you'll want to bring in everything that you need - including water and some kind of floating device to spend your days on the lake. There are several places where you can put in your boat, kayak or paddle  board, and the lake is actually pretty warm in August - warm enough for swimming (and I don't ever swim in Oregon water)

If you do the Battle Axe Hike in the late summer, study up on your edible berries before you come, there are so many huckleberries here I could have filled a bucket.

Amazing Hot Springs with options to sleep in your tent

Breitenbush is a retreat center that offers a variety of different accommodation options including cabins, lodge rooms, dorms, platform tents, and campsites for tents only and tents with cars.

The tent sites (for your own tent or the platform tents) are only available in the summer.

Camping (or staying in any of the accommodation options) at Breitenbush is part of a package deal. For a tent you pay $77 a day for one person, which includes your entrance to the hotspring as well as 3 meals and your participation in any activities that are happening while you are there (like yoga or meditation).

The campground is really basic- basically just a space for your tent in and it's a short walk in from the parking lot. Carts are provided.  There are 5 sites you can reserve that have space for a vehicle.

There are lots of rules - no stoves, no alcohol, no food in the camp area, etc. But really everything you need is provided for you at the mealtimes in the lodge, so it's more like you sleep in your tent vs. being around your tent for a camping experience.

The hotsprings are amazing (and clothing optional- and most people are opting out), and there is some decent hiking to do that is accessible from the trailhead at the Breitenbush parking lot.

You can also access the hotsprings by reserving a day pass (call ahead from Detroit - there's no signal past the 46 turnoff).  Another option is to camp at one of the nearby campsites and daypass the hotsprings if you aren't into dining at the retreat center option.

It's a great place. It got 4 stars instead of 5 because it isn't really an amazing campground. Also- the nearest campground toilets are  port a potties. There is a bathhouse and showers available near the cabins, but you'll have to walk.

Waterloo County Park

Campground with something for everyone! Right on the river for swimming or fishing. If you drive up the road, you can float down the river to your campground! This park even has a disc golf course to enjoy while you camp. There’s a park area with a playground for the kids to play. Spaces are large, and nicely spaced out.

Equestrian Trails!

Great trails that have a little bit of everything. Some of the hills are long and great for but muscles 😂♥️ There were a few issues with bees, or some kind of but that bites, the last time I went (late August) so maybe bring extra fly spray and/or bug replant.

An Oregon MUST VISIT!

No matter the time of year, Silver Falls State Park is an Oregon must visit!

Top reasons I love this campground:

• SOOOO much to see and do!
  • Amazing waterfalls (keep in mind they won't be rushing in the heat of the summer).
  • Great programming
  • Beautiful lodge
  • Vast parks and play areas
  • Swimming
Busy but Great

Typically busy all spring through fall, but grew up going annually and has always been a nice place to spend a weekend or week in the summer. Only issue we ran into as years passed was having to book so far in advanced to be able to have a chance of getting any site that wasn’t just the last of what’s available. Otherwise for the type of camping it provides it is always well kept and the facilities they offer are great.

Pretty spots, helpful rangers

Love to stay here when all the other campgrounds close. Nice hiking trails. The rangers are very nice. Beautiful scenery. Only downside is some of the people who stay here make it uncomfortable for others and destroy the bathrooms. But other than that I'd stay again.