Sayles Village , NORTH CAROLINA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Sayles Village Camping Reviews
Woodland Shelter

My wife and I stayed at the shelter while doing a backpacking loop in the smokies. We started at Newfound gap and followed the AT north towards Charlie's Bunion then headed down to the shelter at the split. The views along the ridge are incredible and this is some of the best hiking in the area. I highly recommend this loop and the distance works out nicely for a single night. The shelter itself is nothing too special but has all the amenities of the shelters in the area. There is a bear cable set up so you can hang your gear and multiple fire pits along with a fireplace in the shelter itself for very cold nights. Normally you are required to stay within the shelter but due to COVID concerns, you are temporarily allowed to set up a tent in the area surrounding the shelter. This was a nice option and there were already several established sites. Overall it's not as nice a view as you get staying up on the ridge but it's a quieter area with more privacy and will probably have more space available if you need to book last minute.

Paris mountain is a beautiful setting. Lots of bikers use the park. The campground is nice except lots of the spots are not level. The sites are nice otherwise. Bathhouse is nice and clean. Several easy hiking trails around which we did with our older dogs. They did fine and loved it. No sewer hookup but a dump station available. The area is so beautiful that I would definitely use this park Again.

Beautiful setting, gross bathhouse

Beautiful spot next to the river. The downside was the bathrooms/showers were really gross. Otherwise it was a good campground.

Our favorite place in the Smokies

My husband and I have been camping in the Smokies and surrounding areas for years. This is our favorite spot. Much quieter than the other campgrounds in the park. Several wonderful hikes right out of the campground.

Been here in several seasons.

…each season offers a different experience. We take kayaks in Spring and Summer.

Remote Camping Near Smoky Mountain History

Full Video With Drive Through Of The Campground CLICK HERE

When visiting the smoky mountains you might be tempted to try something a little bit more off the beaten path. Sometimes the path being rocky and windy makes the campsite all the more worth it. As is the case with the Cataloochee campground.

I took a trip to this campground in hopes of finding something spectacular I had heard that the elk in this area around freely and that on a crisp day you could hear the water which runs along side the camp even at the furthest campsite. As I drove down the winding road I noticed that the twist interns grew narrow the bumps grew frequent and then encountering a motorist was a hairy experience. I had been told that large RVs we're not permitted however I saw one precariously going down the mountain side.

The roads suddenly turned from dirt and gravel to a paved section of highway and I was slightly confused.

Just a short distance after this occurred I found the Cataloochee campground jetting off to the left-hand side of the road. It welcomed me with open arms and tall trees casting gorgeous shade that seem to be dancing in the sunlight. I pulled in to speak to the Ranger on duty and then quickly found my campsite. It was something unlike any other campground I had found in the area completely removed from the comforts of community and distanced intentionally from the creature comforts.

This campground is one for making memories and enjoying truly the outdoors. Hiking trails depart from this campground and lead to some of the most historic areas of the great Smoky Mountain National Park including several structures which ones were the homes of some of the first residents of the Smoky Mountains.

Each site was large enough to spread out in with a small camper or a tent. Tent pads are large and size allowing for even the largest of tents. Each pull in was large enough for a large vehicle, though I could see an RV being an issue. Campsites came standard with lantern hooks and picnic tables in addition to a fire ring.

Centralized restrooms and trash receptacles were available in addition to a spigot. These restrooms are very basic however do have a wash sink area in a common area as well to avoid restroom clean up for dishes. There are no showers at this facility.

Since this area is widely regarded for bear sightings in addition to other wild animals, you can find bear safety at the kiosk and locking trash bins. I would advise brushing up on your bear safety before a trip to the Smoky Mountains for a camping trip in general.

Sure enough after settling in this campground was a peaceful and idyllic setting. At$25 per night the waterfront sites more than justify the price point. However, I will say reservations are required for this campground as it is more remote and also more limited on availability.

This campground is frequently effected by weather so planning in advance is a must!!

Amazing if available

This is really an incredible camping site. The shelter is well maintained and they have taken all the COVID precautions. Another feature of this shelter that is really special is the composting toilet bathroom. They built an entire stall to help with waste buildup at the site. The shelter itself is very large and has a bench for sleeping on along with a fireplace to keep everyone warm. At the moment they are asking people to sleep outside as a safety precaution but in the future, this is a wonderful communal place to sleep. This is a very busy trail and highly trafficked but still worth the stay. If you are considering this site though make sure to book it early cause it can get full. Finally, I would suggest visiting all the small side trails along the way since the views are incredible!!!!

Great for what we needed

Just a remote site with a parking spot and gravel tent pad along a nice creek off the unpacked road! All spots were full in December. There is a fire ring and lantern hook. The sites were clearly marked. Must pack out all trash. See pictures for rules and details. Note there is no restroom or pit toilet in the area.

Captivating

Probably the most spiritual experience camping I've ever had. I'm not an expert and just learning a lot but the pups and I went up labor Day weekend 2020 and it was a trip beyond expectations.

Nice spot off a dirt road

Lots of pull offs off a dirt road. Beware if you’re coming from the south google tries to take you through private property. Take 221 to linville falls, right on 183, and right onto kistler memorial highway. It’s a dirt road but no issues with my Subaru Forester. I camped here in December 2020 and didn’t see anyone else. Plenty of wood, but not much of a view from my camp anyway. Lots of camps.