The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Biltmore Forest , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Biltmore Forest Camping Reviews
Laurel group site bordering the Toe River

Tis campground is a little hard to find because it is off of the beaten path but close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went during the peak leaf season and of course, had to book the site super early. But we snagged the belle of the ball with the Laurel group site. The maximum number of people in the site is 50 (pre Covid) but we were a group of 3 families with 11 people and it was the perfect size for this size group. There were steps leading down to the river with a small spot for a 2 person tent. There were also a number of dispersed tent sites with room to spread out. We had our own very clean restroom that was not in the way but accessible. There are a number of trails to access from the site including Setrock Falls. Even though the campground was full, we felt completely private in our site. The Toe River is the real gift of this site. The constant sounds around you and the river loop trail allowed you to explore further. This is a perfect site for kids because it is open and the river is shallow enough. I would highly recommend this site any time of year because of the river but fall adds a special quality with the leaves all around.

No showers but

Pretty clean bathrooms. Easy to find sites. PLENTY of rangers. Heads up: if you have a cooler or water jug it needs to be in your car while you’re sleeping or away from the CG. Nothing food or prep related can be left unattended. I have a large Pelican bear resistant cooler that lives on my hitch rack. It’s locked to my car frame, ratcheted down to both sides of the rack and locked shut. Upon telling the ranger it did not fit in my car, he inspected it, said “mm it seems rugged enough” and let us be. Would stay again for sure.

Nice campground, bad arrival experience

The campground itself is nice. Great location off of newfound gap road, with tent sites along a rushing creek. Large sites, although not very private. Flush toilets and running water, but no showers. The office staff was friendly. A few trails start from the campground with plenty more a quick drive away.

My arrival left a bad taste in my mouth. Long story short, my reserved site had equipment set up when I arrived after hours (8pm) and a call to the ranger gave me three options: move that person’s tent, take someone else’s reserved spot (campground was full) or leave and go to another campground. I was told there was no ranger or camp host to assist. I grabbed a reserved spot and luckily no one showed up. The next morning, I asked the office if I could just keep my new spot, rather than set up everything again and was told that I could not. However, the office told me that the person on my spot should not be there, but they did nothing to move him. I had to wait until he left on his own so I could move my stuff, wasting a lot of the morning.

This was my fifth trip to the Smokies this year, and it is obvious that the most visited national park is also the most understaffed. Very little ranger presence and consequently plenty of disregard for the rules, especially after 5pm.

Quiet slice of heaven

This camp ground is a nice quiet place to camp, very family friendly. State stocked river is close by for trout fishing, and the bathrooms are always clean being for what they are.

Great location and nice facility

I love the location for proximity to both Brevard and Asheville. The sites vary in their ability to accommodate larger rigs, so be mindful of that. I have a pop up and had to get creative to fit it into site 8. There are two loops. One has a restroom only and the other (back loop) has showers as well. Bathrooms and showers weren't the cleanest, but were ok. There is no mobile phone service in the campground.

Good spot, needs some updating and cleaning

Showers we big, but hot water was inconsistent. Cabins were ok, but need some cleaning.Great location in relation to Great Smoky Mountains NP.

The greenscape was awesome

Even though it rained we gad a great hike. The falls were beautiful, and jumping into Midnight Hole was fun. Even at midnight :)

Two Nights to Explore Local trout Streams

We had site 17. It was large and the first going up the hill. Over looked a couple of other site that had three families with about a half million children. That was annoying, but that’s not the campgrounds fault.

Only stayed two nights to check out all of the local trout streams. We happened to only have basic camping gear and that was great! Simple and easy. Clean showers with good hot water pressure!

Stayed in September so we’re able to sleep without the rain fly on the tent!

Greatest Place on Earth

Just the drive up the mountain is enough to take your breath away. My absolute favorite place to go camping and there are plenty of camping spots to go around! The campsites are so spread out that the only noises you’ll hear are the numerous creeks that flow off the mountain or a car driving up or down the gravel road. The fishing there is absolutely beautiful and the trout are pretty plentiful up there. I highly suggest this spot, just please pick up your trash after yourselves and for the love of god don’t go throwing beer cans and bottles down the hills from your campsites. I pulled 30 pounds of trash off the hillside of my campground the last time I was there. It’s sad indeed but the saddest part was the soda can I found that had been tore open by an animal. The can was lined with some poor animals blood. If an animal cuts its mouth on something like a dirty can and the cut gets infected, that animal will stop eating and slowly starve to death. Please please please pick up after yourselves!!!!!! No trash left behind!!! P.S….the adventure doesn’t start until you’re lost….