Martin, SOUTH DAKOTA

The #1 Camping App

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Martin Camping Reviews
Great understated site with iconic view of the Badlands

Great campsite, easy access within the park. Badlands rock formations directly output tent window.

Kind of a letdown

For a National park campground run by a contractor we were very disappointed. Our time at the campground was from Sept 10th to the 16th. For the price you had to pay for the showers and if you showered before daylight the lights turned off mid shower so you showered in the dark. The campgrounds really needs to be updated also. Besides us we saw two other rigs get hung up on the short posts that surround the camping area. The small roadside type camping/parking areas aren’t big enough for some rigs. Many of the water fountains didn’t work either.
Brkft at the lodge was a buffet and it was a joke, glad we checked before going. Factory baking powder Biscuits, boil in a bag scrambled eggs, etc.
for the National park it advertised that night sky’s viewing would be until the 14th of Sept, not! Was told Labor Day weekend was it. Same for fossil talk which had know one when we made our appearance at the prescribed time. The campground was full every night and we saw lots of people everywhere we went.
Pluses, the views and animals that we saw.

Solid and just outside Badlands NP

Nothing special about the campsites here (not very spread out and just off the main road), but they provide a good view of the badlands and it’s very close to the park itself.

Main problem was that, given the amount of storms that roll through in the summer, you’d hope the campgrounds were a little raised. I picked the highest spot I could and the tent still flooded a bit during a heavy storm that night. When I got up the next morning, other spots were in much worse condition, though. Basically ponds everywhere and the one couple a few sites down from me had to move in the middle of the night because the flooding got so bad. May have been a particularly bad storm, but the lady said that there are a lot of big storms that roll through at that time of year (mid August)

(Make sure your tent is durable in the wind and staked down really well because if a t-storm does roll through, the winds can exceed 50mph easily. It was a good test for my tent and I was lucky that it survived.)

The owner was really nice though and let me come back the next afternoon to shower after hiking in the Badlands all morning (despite not staying that night).

Functional camp sites in badlands national park

Pros: you are camping in badlands national park. Night time star gazing program with the park during the summer.

Cons: sites are tightly packed together. No trees. No wind protection. Pay showers. Showers not super clean. Bathrooms and showers do not have counter space or other areas to place personal items.

During our stay sustained winds collapsed our tent during the day. If you are tent camping, using a tent designed to handle windy conditions would be recommended.

Amazing views!

Despite some not so positive reviews, we enjoyed our one-night stay at Cedar Pass. Yes, the campground layout is not well designed. Not really accommodating for large rigs but that was ok for us - our 17-foot camper van just fit in the gravel drive. I can understand why those with large rigs/trailers would not be happy. No shade but great views of the buttes, especially from sites on the outside of the loop. Bathrooms not the cleanest but not the worst. The picnic table was covered but the morning sun in site 5 was brutal and we ate inside our van. Easy walk to the store/restaurant(food not terrible and some vegetarian options). Also accessible to the amphitheater. Glad we made reservations; the campground was full on a Monday night in July. Definitely recommend the short but challenging Notch trail!

Nice sites and nice people

Great location if you are visiting the Badlands. The sites were all nice with lots of trees around. The pull through sites in the back of the park were huge. Modern and clean bathrooms and showers. The pool was over chlorinated but was clean and well kept. Friendly staff that you can tell really care about making this a nice campground.

July 2019 mosquito heaven

Pack deet bug spray and long sleeves. This year was a wet one and everywhere in the Badlands is mosquito heaven.. Besides that the parks great

Great site near visitors center

Great amenities. Not officially inside the park but very very close. Great views and great staff

Nice primitive camp sites with toilet vaults and hydrants on site

We have camped here for years…it’s a small camp ground but it has low traffic so makes for a nice place to go to and relax and do some fishing.

worth it to stay in the park

Campground is not one of my favorites… I enjoy more seclusion, some tree cover, and less of an RV parking lot feel BUT it's totally worth it to deal with these tiny details in order to experience the badlands!  The sites were grassy and level so having a tent wasn't an issue.  The bathrooms were fine and sites were clean so I cannot complain too much :)

The area surrounding the campgrounds is what brought us here, no the accommodations.  The park is AMAZING! Such a unique park of the country- breathtaking sunsets and unique hikes.  I highly recommend finding a place each night to watch the sun go down!  Lots of wildlife around as well.

*Wall Drug isn't anything fancy, but it's worth it to check it off your list if you gotta make a trip into town.