Scotland , PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Scotland Camping Reviews
My new favorite

The primitive sites have a lot of space.

Great basecamp for hiking and mountain biking

We camped at Suquehannock for the first time in August 2020 and had a fantastic time with our dog!

Don't be alarmed by the fact that some reviews call this "primitive" camping-- there are restrooms with well-ventilated composting toilets, potable water is available at the entrance station, and our campsite was very flat, clean, and safe.

Old Logger's Trail can be reached walking from the campground, and there are many other hiking/biking trails within a 15-minute drive. Boating is also possible at some of the campsites.

Cunningham Falls State Park

Stayed one night in September and had a nice level gravel site with fire pit, picnic table and bath house. Greeted by a friendly and helpful camp host as we backed into our site for our maiden voyage. Clean bath house and amenities. Stayed in site 25 with water spigot nearby. Dumpsters for garbage not a far drive and dump station as you leave the park was convenient.

Great hosts, location.

Riding through catoctin mountain park to get to the campground is almost worth it alone staying. My wife and I just stayed one night with our 2 dogs. We met the hosts as we pulled in to our site, very friendly and accommodating. Some of the sites can be backed up to one another or right aide of each other, but there's a number of sites that are more private than others to make it a great experience. Typically, I prefer dispersed or primitive camping over campgrounds, but this place gets the exception. The roads around catoctin mtn Park and Cunningham falls make for a great way to spend a weekend. Lots of trails around the campground and even a few right on premises. Overall, I hope to make it back before the close up next month, if not I'll be coming back next year.

Beautiful camping area near DC

This is a great but very crowded camping area. Clearly a favorite of many DC area campers. We arrived on a Friday around 6 and found every campsite full. We ended up at an overflow site. Get there early if at all possible! And if it’s mostly full, look for breaks in the brush where other cats have pulled off. There are usually fire pits to be found near them. Campsites are well-distanced from each other. We did not hear others while we were there.

Additionally, this is not a great campground for cars that are low to the ground— the roads are gravelly, potholed, and very slow to navigate in a passenger vehicle with low clearance.

The area is gorgeous! Beautiful mountains and nature. Lots of critters and plants to check out.

Bring your own water— none available as far as I could tell. There was a creek a few hundred feet from our site, but it was too steep to get to for bathing or washing dishes (we tried).

Sites vary in distance from the road. Our overflow site was far enough that we could see the cars but not so close that them going by woke us. We could also hear nose from the interstate, but it fades into the background after a couple hours. We estimated we were 1/4 mile from the interstate as the crow flies.

There are fun activities nearby as well. We saw the tunnel at Paw Paw and went to Cumberland. You can apparently rent kayaks from a man nearby, but he prefers to take groups. Drop by his store the day before to see if you can get in on the action.

Down home country

I loved this campground. It is not a large campground in number of sites but has huge open fields for lots of outdoor fun. It has tent sites and level rv sites with 30 amp and water. No sewer. And one 50 amp site. Most sites have partial shade from the tree line. Each site has a fire ring and plastic picnic table. It has a creek for swimming or wading at your own risk. It also has horseshoes, playground, large outdoor picnic area, as well as a clean bathhouse with showers. There is a dump station and trash dumpster for your convenience on the way out of the campground.

Major con outweighs all the pros

The forest is beautiful & every site is very nicely set up & well distanced from each other. I say this just from what we saw driving by. We drove around for at least 2 hours looking for a spot, finally gave up & made our own. The system definitely needs major improvements. Just incredibly & unnecessarily frustrating.

We got lucky! 🍀

My boyfriend and I planned a roadtrip on a whim & we happened upon Green Ridge State Forest. We were not sure what to expect and if we would even find a solid spot, but clearly our last minute planning served us well. The best spots are found at the end of the long road (I recommend traveling 4x4) and offer complete seclusion in nature. This site not only boasts a large space, but a picnic table and fire pit!

Well cared for, good trails and lake

A good, comfortable place with a lot to offer. We’d go again.

We stayed two nights in Dogwood. The site was well looked after with camp hosts that seemed very attentive and thoughtful. Good rangers who showed up to help when needed. Everyone was (mostly) well behaved in the site, and we had a terrific time.

The facilities were clean. The sites on Dogwood are quite close together, but it still felt like camping. The nearby trails are great and the lake is a good place to swim or laze on a warm day.

More of an RV camping spot

My friends and I booked a spot at this campground after visiting Harrisburg, PA. When we arrived, our expectations were let down by the quality of the campsite simply because of its proximity to its neighbors, the site setup and the limited space for our tents. I give it 4 stars because I am sure all of the problems we experienced would not been a huge deal if we were in an RV. Seemed like a great spot for kids/families especially because it had access to a swimming spot.